daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #1201
Bugbyte

Likes (Received): 212

The train station is quite a nice building to be fair.

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #1202
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 2148

From the southern bit of Sutton Park I've only ever noticed one or two distant tower blocks to the south (guessing the aforementioned Erdington blocks) and a housing estate to the south west. For the most part you feel like you could be in the middle of the countryside.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #1203
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 531

Nothing wrong with the station both train and pub but the towers on the site opposite Gracechurch will not affect anything you have cited as being sensitive.

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #1204
Bugbyte

It will - the view from the park. As Butters said, you feel like you could be in the middle of the countryside. I and '000's of others go there every day for precisely that reason. Surely that is worth something?
Old November 18th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #1205
djay
Chartered Town Planner

It is but the fact you can see 3 towers from a small portion of the park doesn't harm the feeling of being in the countryside from the majority of the park. Which is the point. If the whole park was blighted by the towers i would agree but it won't be.

Two Weeks Notice

RalphGuy liked this post
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #1206
minus90

Likes (Received): 5

Mere Green

Apres in Mere Green set to close in April.
Town and Country will be opening Fleet Street Kitchen there.

Great news for the area, re-investment from Town and Country.
Look forward to the refit.

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westm...nd-carter.html
minus90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:40 AM   #1207
Bugbyte

Sutton Town Council officially comes into being next month with elections in May. Whilst I am all for localisation and local accountability does anyone know what powers and services this council will get, or what they are asking for?

http://www.suttoncoldfieldtowncouncil.com/

I particularly like the 'No political parties' stance - hope it comes off.
Old February 17th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #1208
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus90 View Post
Apres in Mere Green set to close in April.
Town and Country will be opening Fleet Street Kitchen there.

Great news for the area, re-investment from Town and Country.
Look forward to the refit.

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westm...nd-carter.html
I was only saying the other day that I wouldn't be surprised to see this go.

It is always empty. Not a patch on the old site.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #1209
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
Sutton Town Council officially comes into being next month with elections in May.
Well done to them. Another step closer to becoming a proper independent town again.

RalphGuy liked this post
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #1210
baz2015

Likes (Received): 307

lol Sutton wont be independent, its like say a parish council type thing, also as you may know Birmingham city council was thinking about each erea having it own district council, but overall the city council will run the city, I guess the best way of looking at is like how greater London is run, local councils then city hall runs it .
baz2015 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #1211
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
I was only saying the other day that I wouldn't be surprised to see this go.

It is always empty. Not a patch on the old site.

It`s been rumoured for several years. It`s rarely busy and I`m guessing what they take on a Saturday night isn`t enough to sustain them. Big mistake moving in the first place. Could never understand why they did it.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #1212
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2015 View Post
lol Sutton wont be independent, its like say a parish council type thing, also as you may know Birmingham city council was thinking about each erea having it own district council, but overall the city council will run the city, I guess the best way of looking at is like how greater London is run, local councils then city hall runs it .
I think it's a bit more than that. There's been talk of Sutton Coldfield being independent for years. You don't hear areas like Northfield demanding independence or being a town in its own right.
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #1213
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Bas is right in that it is a town council which is the same as a parish...

in essence it means they get money from a council tax levy and get to plan and run some services. All of the services will be non-statutory services as the statutory duties will remain the responsibility of the Birmingham City Council.

The comparison to Greater London is not correct.

So there is a possibility that the town council don't offer any services locally as they do not have to. If both councils agree there can be a transfer of statutory services but Sutton Coldfield Town Council would have to demonstrate that it would offer best value in all aspects of that service (as i understand it anyway) to take control.

There is a list at the back of the Sutton Coldfield Town Council: initial analysis full report on this page http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/communi...ernance-review.

Just so you know, the budget for Transport in the wards is £8k this year which can't do a lot when it comes to highway improvement.

What usually happens is that the Town Council will take on some easy to administer services and will act as a lobby to get Birmingham to do the things they cannot achieve themselves or are not competent to deliver or would not achieve best value.

Two Weeks Notice

Bugbyte, baz2015 liked this post

Last edited by djay; February 17th, 2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #1214
Bugbyte

^

Thats how I read it. It would be nice to get parks and street cleaning! Long term, planning would be an appropriate service to devolve. What I would really like to see is Childrens Services as BCC is way to big to be effective in schools and social services. Long term I believe Birmingham will use the Sutton model to divide up the city.
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #1215
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Quote:
^

Thats how I read it. It would be nice to get parks and street cleaning! Long term, planning would be an appropriate service to devolve. What I would really like to see is Childrens Services as BCC is way to big to be effective in schools and social services. Long term I believe Birmingham will use the Sutton model to divide up the city.
I can't see the city being broken up and devolved if i am honest. Not in the medium term anyway, i think we are looking plus 30 years at least for that to happen.

Two Weeks Notice
Old February 18th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #1216
Salt Peanuts

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Sutton Town Council officially comes into being next month with elections in May. Whilst I am all for localisation and local accountability does anyone know what powers and services this council will get, or what they are asking for?

http://www.suttoncoldfieldtowncouncil.com/

I particularly like the 'No political parties' stance - hope it comes off.
The Tories hope to put up 24 candidates - one for each seat - so I don't think the independents stand much chance of being elected.
Salt Peanuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #1217
Bugbyte

The same tories that initially opposed any idea of devolution. They support Sutton being in Birmingham as it gives them some chance of overall control. Labour only wants Sutton in Birmingham because of the tax receipts. When the two main parties don't have the residents best interest at heart then it is a sad state of affairs and one which has lead to Suttonians voting for a town council. Unfortunately you could pin a tory rosette on a dead sheep and it would get a landslide victory. Apart for Rob Pollock (Labour) Can anyone name any Sutton Councillor? What do they do for their £17K+ a year? Rant over.
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #1218
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 537

Rob Pocock is quite well known as a Sutton councillor because he`s in the local paper a lot. Another councillor is Anne somebody or other but that`s all I can remember.

But then, how many councillors can you think of in the rest of Birmingham?
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #1219
Bugbyte

But they should be well known! They are paid to campaign for and solve the areas problems. They should be in the papers and occasionally on local news. They should be fronting campaigns. The only time I heard from the Tory councillors was a couple of years ago when they came out in force complaining the a devolved town council would cost us the earth and have no benefit, and we should be happy with the way things are. They changed their tune when the vote went against them though. If we cannot name our councillors and never hear about their good works how can we have confidence in the system? If you do a Google news search for Suttons Councillors such as Margaret Waddington you really do get bugger all, and she has been a councillor apparently since 2004!

At least with Pollock he lets you know what he is doing. (In the interests of neutrality Andrew Mitchell does regularly turn up to Sutton institutions such as schools, hospitals and remembrance days).
Old February 18th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #1220
baz2015

Likes (Received): 307

thank you DJ for putting it a more detailed way, now going from memory Northampton had a parish council which had extra rates and they looked after a few things, but the NBC ran the town overall, now I was using the GL type thing just to show more or less how it might look ie city hall then the local district councils ie Havering , Romford erea. anyway I cant see Birmingham beeing run by all different councils it wouldn't work, maybe district council for each erea of the city but over BCC will run it,
baz2015 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote