daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia

Old January 31st, 2007, 12:29 PM   #1
Martins
-Riga-

Likes (Received): 137

Riga Highrises - Road to Glory

Riga highrises - road to glory

Brivibas Street 368

Construction photos:

Panorama Plaza C.

Construction Photos:

Today:

Centra Nams

Construction Photos:

Today:

Dreilini

b. 2000s:

Today:

Saule Akmens

Construction photos:

Today:

Solaris

Construction Photos:

Today:

Rietumu Capital centre

Astra-Lux

Today:

Duntes Ozoli

Imantas Perle (EkoDom)

Construction photos:

Last edited by Martins; January 31st, 2007 at 12:42 PM.
Martins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 31st, 2007, 09:56 PM   #2
jkk

Likes (Received): 31

Although some of the buildings are quite beatiful, I'm sorry to say that many really remind me of commie blocks. Still nice to see new structures rising.
jkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:09 PM   #3
raz

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk View Post
I'm sorry to say that many really remind me of commie blocks.
Well Dreiliņi district shown above was started back in the late 80's, the frames of the buildings were built then. They just finished those houses only now. Those buildings look like commieblocks because they *are* commieblocks, ordered by the commies(tm)
raz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:49 PM   #4
Laurijs
Laurijs

Likes (Received): 7

Zinadine! Thank You for these photos! Can you tell me, if it is your personal photos of Solaris construction for example, how did you get on the roof????

P.S. Still waiting you in emporis.com!!!

Subscribe | Rate | Comment
Laurijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:25 PM   #5
jkk

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
Well Dreiliņi district shown above was started back in the late 80's, the frames of the buildings were built then. They just finished those houses only now. Those buildings look like commieblocks because they *are* commieblocks, ordered by the commies(tm)
Not sure about that.. The Dreilini district you're talking about is obvious. Have a closer look. Most of those buildings are still 'blocks' and consist of standard panels very similar to the ones used on commies. For example: http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...tinsLV/ip6.jpg. That's a new structure, isn't it?
I'm not saying they're ugly or bad in any possible way, but you've got to admit that in a more modern way they're quite similar to the old blocks.
jkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Gatis

Likes (Received): 424

These buildings (you see three here - Finnish YIT 14-floorers were shown first, then Dreilini and Ekodom buildings) are in suburbs. You see similar block structures built currently everywhere in suburbs in the world - in Japan, US, Western Europe - this is just another technology for construction. Nothing too nice but you can't say that it is not modern way.

Ambermarks - landmarks of Latvia
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM   #7
Nanoflux

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, you guys surely know how to build cool buildings! Awesome thread!
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Martins
-Riga-

Likes (Received): 137

@Laurijs - sorry, but its not my personal photos

Are You ready?

Solaris - Road to Glory

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I like these photos
Martins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:21 PM   #9
raz

How many of the new/proposed highrises in Riga have panoramic lifts?

I guess apartment market is somewhat against it, since people with fear of heights would avoid such projects...
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM   #10
Laurijs
Laurijs

Likes (Received): 7

I swear, I am ready to kill someone to get flat with this view to Riga downtown!!!!!!!!

Subscribe | Rate | Comment
Laurijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #11
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurijs View Post
I swear, I am ready to kill someone to get flat with this view to Riga downtown!!!!!!!!
That makes two of us
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #12
mjbjosh

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinedine View Post
Riga highrises - road to glory

Brivibas Street 368

Construction photos:

A friend of mine actually lives in this house. I went to a house warming party like two months ago, and it was an impresssive living standard. The only thing I didnt like there was the planning of the bathroom facilities. He hasn't got no bath (10th floor, a studio apartment), only a shower, and then the space (the bathroom is pretty big itself) was used unrationally. The outlook on the city is beautiful though, you see forests, you see Mežaparks etc. To sum it all up, I would love to live there, except the bathroom thing.

Last edited by mjbjosh; June 27th, 2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: wrong pic quote
mjbjosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #13
raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbjosh View Post
The only thing I didnt like there was the planning of the bathroom facilities. He hasn't got no bath (10th floor, a studio apartment), only a shower, and then the space (the bathroom is pretty big itself) was used unrationally.
The houses were built by a Finnish company (YIT), the design is pretty typically Finnish as well. Here, in Finland, I notice that bathtubs are pretty rare, most of the apartments only have showers, that even applies to row-houses and other decent middle-class housing. I myself never take a bath, I only use showers, so it's totally fine with me

Ach, and bathrooms are usually pretty big in Finland in general (in newer houses, that is) - that's because you need space for at least the washing machine and the linen drying rack. I have an absolutely huge bathroom myself Plus, most of the really decent apartments here have a sauna connected to bathroom... Maybe the Brīvības 386 project has optional space for sauna? (you wouldn't believe how even the seemingly smallest place can fit a sauna)

Last edited by raz; June 27th, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #14
Gatis

Likes (Received): 424

In my new apartment we have got two bathrooms - with bath in each of them. We changed it - and have bath only in one, while the other one is rearranged for other things.

And this is by far not a luxury project. Can't complain about quality too - have visited friends in other countries and don't see any difference in quality.

I would like to find out - where in Riga are built low quality projects - everybody screams about them but I have not met anyone who has experienced it on his own.

Ambermarks - landmarks of Latvia
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #15
raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
I would like to find out - where in Riga are built low quality projects - everybody screams about them but I have not met anyone who has experienced it on his own.
Some people are just always pessimistic, like donkey Eeyore from "Winnie the Pooh" stories
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #16
mjbjosh

Quote:
I myself never take a bath, I only use showers, so it's totally fine with me
Well, I'm a bath person, I think. I appreciate a shower when I have to hurry up, but other than that I would always prefer a full bath, it's just so relaxing. My friend is totally content though, coz he's a shower person just like you.

Quote:
Ach, and bathrooms are usually pretty big in Finland in general (in newer houses, that is) - that's because you need space for at least the washing machine and the linen drying rack. I have an absolutely huge bathroom myself Plus, most of the really decent apartments here have a sauna connected to bathroom... Maybe the Brīvības 386 project has optional space for sauna?
I think there would sure be enough space for a tiny infra-red sauna, but the wrong planning just makes it impossible. There is enough space for the w/m and drying rack though, and then some more.

Last edited by mjbjosh; July 6th, 2007 at 01:26 AM. Reason: add.
mjbjosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote