daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:28 AM   #18641
PrimusUrbisIndis

Likes (Received): 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sKid View Post
All CSIA property belongs to AAI. Air india only leased those airport properties. MIAL had already made a lot changes in land usage since 2007. For example the AI hangars near T2 were shifted to near the old ATC tower....
What about residential properties??? I keep hearing about AI owning several apartment buildings immediately abutting the southern portion of the airfield??? Maybe they can just kick these lazy bums out for good, buy them from AI/AAI (whoever owns them!!!) if necessary, enclose those properties within the airport proper, raze the buildings and use it for airport activities!!!
PrimusUrbisIndis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:25 AM   #18642
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Likes (Received): 1256

A PSU can't be blocking an airport's plan, which is attracting attention from national media almost at regular intervals.

If there are such possibilities, they would have explored it long before. I doubt AI could object to such plans.

But yes, AI should have been divested 20 years back!!! Huge waste of public money in a competitive industry.
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:59 AM   #18643
PrimusUrbisIndis

What can one say??? This is a PSU that has been sucking the entire country dry for the last 3 decades!!!

I hope someday even the railways are at the same crossroads!!!
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:50 PM   #18644
90sKid

Likes (Received): 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusUrbisIndis View Post
What about residential properties???
There are Air India and Indian Airlines' colonies in Santacruz east (near the old airport area). They will eventually go if needed. Parts of AAI's residential colony were demolished to make way for the Elevated Access road for T2, so its not like PSU land isn't being acquired, but due procedures need to be followed and that is obviously taking time..

PrimusUrbisIndis liked this post
90sKid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:39 PM   #18645
PrimusUrbisIndis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sKid View Post
There are Air India and Indian Airlines' colonies in Santacruz east (near the old airport area). They will eventually go if needed. Parts of AAI's residential colony were demolished to make way for the Elevated Access road for T2, so its not like PSU land isn't being acquired, but due procedures need to be followed and that is obviously taking time..
Ya, that's 60.5 hectares of prime real estate (not just apts, but parks, gardens, sports complex, cricket ground...) that can be better used to increase airside facilities for aircraft parking, GA, etc...AI employees, after disinvestment, can always move to more "residential" areas, and commute daily...perhaps, since it will no longer remain a PSU after disinvestment, getting hold of that land will be easier...
Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:03 PM   #18646
Ash Vish

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Ya, that's 60.5 hectares of prime real estate (not just apts, but parks, gardens, sports complex, cricket ground...) that can be better used to increase airside facilities for aircraft parking, GA, etc...AI employees, after disinvestment, can always move to more "residential" areas, and commute daily...perhaps, since it will no longer remain a PSU after disinvestment, getting hold of that land will be easier...

I stay close to the IA and AI colonies and their existence is one of the reasons why AI is losing money. The residents have inexpensive accommodation at the geographical centre of the city. 1990s model TATA buses ferry them from these quarters to the airport every few hours. The colonies also have various supporting infra including a School, Temple, Canteen, football club and medical stores. In fact, I have seen a few people raising Chicken in front of their dwelling units.

When it comes to disinvestment, I'm afraid the unions will fight tooth and nail for the welfare of employees and the prevailing benefits. However, the good news is that the buildings are very old - some are dilapidated - and for the residents' own benefit, they would have to move out.

Bonus snippet: VT-VJM is parked in a remote bay right next to the Indian Airlines colony. This piece of junk should go first before anything else!
Ash Vish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 04:09 PM   #18647
ChennaiPlaneSpotter

Likes (Received): 866

EGYPTAIR upgauges to a widebody!

EGYPTAIR in the first half of 2018 plans to expand capacity on Cairo – Mumbai route, currently operated by Boeing 737-800 aircraft. From 16JAN18 to 31MAY18, this route will be operated by Airbus A330-200 aircraft, 4 times a week.

MS968 CAI1655 – 0145+1BOM 330 x457
MS969 BOM0250 – 0605CAI 330 x457

The airline’s Mumbai service in October 2018 is also scheduled with A330-200 aircraft.

Source

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

....but Cathay seems to be scaling back down.

Cathay Pacific recently filed changes to its summer 2018 schedule for Hong Kong – Mumbai route. Previously, CX663/660 will continue to see 3-class 777-300ER operation on/after 25MAR18, however recent adjustment shows A330-300 will be operating from 01JUN18 to 08SEP18 (HKG departure).

CX699 HKG1730 – 2120BOM 333 256
CX663 HKG2005 – 2355BOM 333 D

CX660 BOM0105 – 0935HKG 333 D
CX696 BOM2230 – 0700+1HKG 333 256

Source

vaibhavgupta89, 90sKid, patel2897, Aaru24 liked this post
ChennaiPlaneSpotter está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 04:19 PM   #18648
PrimusUrbisIndis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Vish View Post
Bonus snippet: VT-VJM is parked in a remote bay right next to the Indian Airlines colony. This piece of junk should go first before anything else!
Wasn't that put up for auction??? Should have flown out by now...
Old January 6th, 2018, 01:27 PM   #18649
himmat113

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Wasn't that put up for auction??? Should have flown out by now...
No buyers for that junk. It was there at the airport yesterday.

PrimusUrbisIndis liked this post
himmat113 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 06:32 PM   #18650
PrimusUrbisIndis

An interesting article on the mess at JFK during the arctic blowout last week...Hope BOM does not face such an issue, ever!!!

patel2897 liked this post
Old January 10th, 2018, 09:38 AM   #18651
PrimusUrbisIndis

Daily slot situation at BOM and DEL as of 11/17...

Cpright: BS

neversayno, patel2897, Aaru24, Darth Reg liked this post
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:26 AM   #18652
PrimusUrbisIndis

DEL-BOM is the third busiest air route in the world!!!
Old January 11th, 2018, 03:13 PM   #18653
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Likes (Received): 1256

As discussed sometime back in Main Airports and Aviation thread many factors drive this.

1) The cities need to be close enough within 3 hour travel time
2) Should be a domestic route or a route which is equivalent to domestic (like intra- EU)
3) Both the cities should have very high population to drive the volume
4) Both the cities should have single airport
5) There should not be any competing transport option with same comfort and travel time. In case of US, roads compete. In case of London-Paris and Beijing-Shanghai HSR competes. Japan manages high air traffic numbers inspite of HSR because of huge population of the cities.!!!

Most of the top 10 routes satisfies most of the above connditions, Exceptions being a route to an island without any alternative (Seoul - Jeju)

Naturally Asian countries dominate as they satisfy most of these conditions. US and European cities have less population and have multiple competing airports within the urban area, which splits the traffic. Further, in case of Europe, rail takes a huge share of typical 1-3 hour air traffic.

When New Bombay airport opens, DEL-BOM will go down in the pecking order.

PrimusUrbisIndis, koalatthunaad liked this post
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 05:36 PM   #18654
Aaru24

Likes (Received): 147

Mumbai | Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport | BOM

Flew out of BOM today, so here are some pics of the departure area...

As far as asthetics are concerned, of course T2 is absolutely splendid!
Overall however, I felt that in terms of the entire process from check-in to boarding the flight there is still quite a way to go till BOM is properly world-class. Mainly, the security check was needlessly delayed, with the CISF personnel handling the bags for scanning poorly, as nobody was there to make sure the bags kept moving. Immigration was also slow because the queues got really haphazard by the time they reached the counter and also because the officers were taking a while to process each traveler. Nobody was there to guide the ‘next in lines’ ’ to a counter like at the check-in queues, which lagged the process. At many airports, it’s the officers at the counters themselves who carry this responsibility, but in this case, they’re already pre-occupied. On the contrary, the staff all through were very helpful, understanding and friendly...

IMO, the departure area is generally much better designed and maintained than the arrival area. Wear and tear at the baggage collection belts and toilets is really starting to show in the latter.

Last edited by Aaru24; January 12th, 2018 at 06:03 PM.
Aaru24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 07:13 PM   #18655
PrimusUrbisIndis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiadreams View Post
When New Bombay airport opens, DEL-BOM will go down in the pecking order.
I would rather we have good capacity infra, than compete in a made-up beauty contest...I doubt we will lose anything if we move out of these rankings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaru24 View Post
Nobody was there to guide the ‘next in lines’ ’ to a counter like at the check-in queues, which lagged the process. At many airports, it’s the officers at the counters themselves who carry this responsibility, but in this case, they’re already pre-occupied. On the contrary, the staff all through were very helpful, understanding and friendly...
Usually there will be a tobacco-chewing leery looking character who will do the honors...he is always there when I fly out of BOM (which is rarer than I would like it to be, I admit!!!)
Old January 13th, 2018, 01:30 AM   #18656
Jeffery

Likes (Received): 135

I agree with what people are saying - the physical structure of the airport is nice - nicer than many American airports, but there could be some efficiency improvement in terms of immigration/domestic transfer/security as this took lots of time and the domestic transfer seemed chaotic.

This is likely due to the fact that the capacity of this airport is being maxed out - when Navi Mumbai airport opens, hopefully this would be better.
Old January 13th, 2018, 06:46 AM   #18657
PrimusUrbisIndis

CSIA staff is not the problem (they are adequate in quality and quantity)...problem is with Customs and Immigration (by their own admission, they are grossly understaffed at all major airports, particularly BOM)...ditto for CISF...

Add to it that there is the issue of coordination (Immigration and CISF are under Home, while Customs work under FinMin - unlike the US, where USCIS, USCBP and TSA are all under DHS)...

Expect to see similar problems in NMIA too, unless the personnel-to-pax ratio is not improved...

Aaru24, 90sKid liked this post

Last edited by PrimusUrbisIndis; January 13th, 2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old January 13th, 2018, 02:30 PM   #18658
PrimusUrbisIndis

Fire breaks out at Mumbai airport's domestic terminal, no casualties

And now this!!!

(Ground flr conference hall, T1B, near Gate # 9)...

patel2897, Aaru24 liked this post

Last edited by PrimusUrbisIndis; January 13th, 2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old January 13th, 2018, 06:07 PM   #18659
A380-800

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Fire breaks out at Mumbai airport's domestic terminal, no casualties

And now this!!!

(Ground flr conference hall, T1A...)

Any pics other than in news reports...? Plse post. Thanks.
A380-800 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 10:25 PM   #18660
PrimusUrbisIndis

Quote:
Originally Posted by A380-800 View Post
Any pics other than in news reports...? Plse post. Thanks.

Grnd flr VVIP lounge and conference room, near Gate # 9 in T1B...

patel2897, vaibhavgupta89, Aaru24 liked this post

Tags
mumbai