SkyscraperCity Forum banner
6M views 20K replies 1K participants last post by  jeremai 
#1 · (Edited)
Bishopsgate Tower - "The Pinnacle"
The City

Height: 288m | Floors: 63 | Architect: Kohn Pederson Fox | Developer: Union Investment Real Estate AG (formerly known as DIFA)

Links: Bishopsgate Tower promotional video (23mb) | Skyscrapernews listing

Notes:
  • At 288 metres, the Bishopsgate Tower will form the centrepiece of London’s financial district. It will be over 100 metres taller than
    the City's current tallest building, Tower 42.
  • Plans for a tower on this site have been around since 2002. A previous design by Helmut Jahn was scrapped following concerns over
    the base and crown, and its effect on views from Fleet Street. The revised design - by architects Kohn Pederson Fox - is more
    sleek and elegantly proportioned, and is intended to complement the neighbouring proposals such as the Leadenhall Building.
  • A planning application was submitted in June 2005. A revised planning application with a 19m height reduction was submitted
    and given final approval in April 2006. In November 2006, the developers secured funding for the project from Arab Investments.
  • The full planning report for the tower can be accessed by clicking here.
Current Status:
Piling is complete. Keltbray are back on site, to complete demo of the previous building (by 10th January 2010), and to complete the
enabling works. A new excavation, 5.5 metres below the present basement floor, is to take place in January in preparation for the core in late 2010.

Despite the long wait, it seems highly likely that this tower will eventually be built. All of the retail space has been let, plus over 25% of the office space,
and the four restaurant floors at the top.

Topping-out is scheduled for late 2012, and the building is due to open in 2013.

See less See more
#1,121 ·
It is interesting to note that the Islington Gazette is quite anti-highrise along the lines of the Standard. There was an editorial a couple of weeks ago about architecture in general in Islington and mentioned a couple of over-bearing large developments, I assumed this was hinting at City Road but it wasnt explicit and went on a general rant about how the Simon Jenkins piece in the Standard about the Mayor of Moscow was spot on and how Ken is turning London into an ugly mess!
Both the Islington Gazette and the Islington Tribune have published strongly anti-skyscraper articles, for example the Gazette with the comments about Bishopsgate Tower incorrectly attributed to Councillor Loveland, and the Tribune with its classic "tranquil oasis" report about the City Road Basin project. I still chuckle at that one, actually.

#1,122 ·
LondonRocks...that was an absolutely unfair outburst, Varenukha was meerly giving advise. How dare you speak to someone like that.
Another page of the thread ruined by petty arguments.

Anyway, I hope this man gets in contact with the press if it turns out he has been wrongly quoted. Should be very interesting to watch.

#1,123 ·
^^ That's your opinion. What I write to an elected representative is of absolutely no concern of yours.

God that's made me mad. Who the f*** do you think you are, saying what we should write. Chances are I pay an awful lot more tax than you. T**t.
unless you are actually a resident of islington mr loveland is not actually representing you in any form whatsoever and has no obligation to reply to petty sarcastic emails or even bother with you other than pressing the delete button

#1,132 ·
I tihnk this building is nice...but it reminds me of the AXA tower in Paris (the new AXA lol) do you guys think so?

Anyway, is it still having problems for funding???
1. Axa looks like Bishopsgate. Bishopsgate was designed years before.

2. There are no problems with funding, or anything else. It is being built speculatively and all funding is secured, demolition is imminent.

#1,139 ·
^^^ albeit a very uneven race..... wonder who would win :laugh: