daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Old May 26th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #1
plank007

Likes (Received): 7

Dublin 26th best city to live in‎

-Beats London, Paris, Barcelona, New York etc.

Quote:
Dublin 26th best city to live in

OLIVIA KELLY

DUBLIN IS the 26th best city in the world in which to live, according to this year’s worldwide quality-of-living survey from business consultants Mercer.

The annual survey, used by multinational companies to work out how much extra money to pay workers if they are relocated to another country, ranks Vienna as the best city to live in. Baghdad is ranked worst.

Dublin has slipped one place from its 25th international ranking last year. However, the list has been expanded from 215 cities in 2009 to 221 this year.

Dublin ranks as the 17th best European city to live in and comes ahead of London, which comes in at 39th in the worldwide ranking and 22nd in Europe.

Several dozen quality-of-life aspects of a city were measured under headings including political, social, economic and socio-cultural environments. The survey also examined health and sanitation, schools and education, public services and transport, availability of consumer goods and climate.

European cities dominate the results and take the top three spots, with Zurich and Geneva following respectively in second and third places after Vienna. Vancouver and Auckland remain in joint fourth place.

In the US, the highest entry is Honolulu at 31st, followed by San Francisco at 32nd. Singapore at 28th is the top-scoring Asian city, followed by Tokyo at 40th.

This year’s ranking also identifies the cities with the best eco-ranking based on water availability and drinkability, waste removal, quality of sewage systems, air pollution and traffic congestion.

Calgary is at the top of this index, followed by Honolulu in second place. Wellington, Minneapolis, Adelaide and Copenhagen fill the next four slots in that order, while Kobe, Oslo and Stockholm share ninth place. Port-au-Prince in Haiti ranks at the bottom of this table, while Dublin has an eco-city ranking of 33rd worldwide and 14th in Europe.

Slagin Parakatil, senior researcher at Mercer, said a city’s attitude towards sustainability and environmental issues was becoming increasingly important to companies. “A city’s eco-status or attitude toward sustainability can have significant impact on the quality of living of its inhabitants. As a consequence these are also pertinent issues for companies that send employees and their families on long-term assignments abroad, especially considering the vast majority of expatriates are relocated to urban areas.”

CITY LIVING BEST IN THE WORLD

1 Vienna

2 Zurich

3 Geneva

4 Vancouver; Auckland

6 Dusseldorf

7 Frankfurt; Munich

9 Bern

10 Sydney

26 Dublin

34 Paris

39 London

44 Barcelona

45 Lisbon

49 New York

54 Rome

63 Belfast

75 Athens

86 Cape Town

100 Muscat (Oman)

Source: Mercer quality of living survey
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...271141475.html
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #2
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Likes (Received): 83

Zurich, Geneva, Vancouver et al topping the list.. No surprises!
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 52

This list is entirely subjective. I cannot believe Frankfurt is up there - I love the skyline and it has a huge airport but I lived there for a year and it was awful for nightlife, very poor for shopping and over run with Turkish drug gangs.
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #4
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 32

That's a pretty big slip from a couple of years ago; hardly surprising though. Dublin was around number 15/16/17 IIRC a few years ago.
The crippling public tranport infrastructure/lack of any progress in public transport is obviously taking it's toll on the quality of life in the city.
For me, the best thing about living in Dublin has always been it's proximity to the mountains, beautiful coatal scenery/seaside towns and having good entertainment/shopping on your doorstep.
Attention to the public realm/civic pride has always been atrocious in Dublin. I'd rarely visit the city centre, except for a night-out.
Dublin needs a major kick up the ass. The scenery, and nice seaside suburban towns will always be there. The city centre and public transport need a major overhaul though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
This list is entirely subjective. I cannot believe Frankfurt is up there - I love the skyline and it has a huge airport but I lived there for a year and it was awful for nightlife, very poor for shopping and over run with Turkish drug gangs.
The nightlife in Frankfurt is pretty bad alright. There isn't even a good dining scene, so its surprising to see it up so high.
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #5
yousername
Yes. No. Potato?

Likes (Received): 50

Vienna
yousername scoreboard:
12 - deranged
7 - Cruise
5 - city_thing, Dime, ckf
4 - Shuz, yossie99, Bachy
3 - belfastuniguy, TDS, miensie, Avatar, hayds
2 - Milan_Luka, cowface, Gor@n, Yellow Fever, LanceDriver, NorthLimitation, jarf
1 - Looking/Up, TOCC, Giorgio, dinp, Bartē, acc521, Tubeman, RocStar, Joelby, Will, jarkti, micoforion, Danubis
yousername no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #6
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousername View Post
Vienna
A very much deserved number 1 spot. Beautiful city, great public transport and generally safe!!!
Haven't been in years, but will have to pop back again some time!
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Conor

Likes (Received): 26

No great surprises - a very worthy city and title Great culture, night-life, atmosphere, eateries, transport, architecture and people. Down sides are deffo the prices, but overall, for a city of its size and reputation, there is a distinct lack of large cultural venues. I am more surprised at Belfast's outcome, among the best in the UK at in the top 30ish for Europe :O
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #8
plank007

One of the best things about Dublin is the size of it. Everywhere is basically inside a 15-20 minute walk. The Luas makes it even easier aswell.

People are very friendly and helpful. I think Londoners have a reputation for being ignorant.

It's also incredibility multicultural and diverse city. Walking about Grafton Street or Temple Bar area you'll hear amongst every language in the world. The people serving you in the shops, bars and restaurants are most likely from a different county.

Apart from the usual pubs and clubs in Temple Bar there are also countless arts and cultural venues. Also The National Gallery and the Hugh Lane are free. I'm sure there are others too.

There are problems. Living in an estate in the suburbs probably isn't good or living in inner city housing in the city centre is probably even worse. Some of these places are horrific...even in the city centre. Probably not as bad as the Ghettos in London, New York or Paris though.

Grafton Street down to Trinity needs repaved, some of the signage needs sorted also. Lower end of O’Connell Street is an embarrassment.

Also I think Dublin needs a modern World Class tourist attraction in the city centre. Ok the Guinness Storehouse is but I'm taking postcard picture things. London has the London Eye. New York has the Empire State. Toronto has the CN Tower. Paris has the Eiffel Tower. Dublin needs something big.

Last edited by plank007; May 26th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #9
yousername
Yes. No. Potato?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Down sides are deffo the prices, but overall, for a city of its size and reputation
You thought so? Despite its grandeur, I never found it that expensive - especially when compared to Dublin. Comparably - crazy expensive.
yousername scoreboard:
12 - deranged
7 - Cruise
2 - Milan_Luka, cowface, Gor@n, Yellow Fever, LanceDriver, NorthLimitation, jarf
1 - Looking/Up, TOCC, Giorgio, dinp, Bartē, acc521, Tubeman, RocStar, Joelby, Will, jarkti, micoforion, Danubis
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #10
Conor

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousername View Post
You thought so? Despite its grandeur, I never found it that expensive
Are we both talking about Dublin here? lol
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #11
yousername
Yes. No. Potato?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Are we both talking about Dublin here? lol
Absolutely not. Whats this thread called again?
yousername scoreboard:
12 - deranged
7 - Cruise
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #12
Thefancydanhimself

Likes (Received): 2

I think, if Dublin got a proper transport system and cleaned up the city centre a bit more (pedestrainisation of college green, better use of the old georgian buildings) it would seriously jump up the ratings there.
Good that those plans are in the pipeline, Dublin could be great in 10/15 years if even half the improvement of the last 20 years is repeated.

I'd love a bit of highrise too though
Thefancydanhimself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #13
plank007

On reflection I can't see how Dublin is ranked so high? How? Did Bertie fix this?
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #14
hovis

Likes (Received): 1

Anybody who believes lists like this is a tube.....
hovis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #15
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 11

I'm surprised, most cities are European on the top, and New York is only 49th
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: