daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.45 average.
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1
phaedrus
resU deretsigeR

Likes (Received): 2

Kerala - Projects and Development

Since there are threads for most of the areas of Kerala but not for the whole of the state, high time we started one

Sponsored Links

Old August 12th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #2
phaedrus
resU deretsigeR

Hindustan Aeronautics to set up unit in Kerala

Quote:
State-run aerospace major Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) announced Monday that it will set up a strategic electronics manufacturing factory in Kerala at an investment of Rs 2 bn ($47.6 mn).

The factory would come up on 200 acres at the Kinfra Industrial Park in Kasargod district, said a statement issued by the state-owned Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corp (Kinfra).

The foundation stone of the plant would be laid Aug 23 by Defence Minister AK Antony at the Kinfra Industrial Park, said the release.

The new factory is being planned as an extension of the Hyderabad avionics division of HAL. However, the facility may be converted into a full-fledged division in the future.

At present, the Hyderabad unit is manufacturing a wide variety of electronic equipment for areas like communication, radar, navigation, computers and electronic warfare.

The Kerala unit is expected to be operational in the third quarter of 2009-10 fiscal
source economictimes.com
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 625

Good job with the thread, buddy. We can post the news from the districts which do not have their own threads here till there is enough to create a thread for them.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #4
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Likes (Received): 328

Move to develop Ponnani port

Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 3. In pursuance of its port-based development policy, the Kerala Government has decided in principle to convert Ponnani port in Malappuram district into an all-weather port through public-private partnership.

A Chennai-based company, Malabar Port Pvt Ltd, has submitted a preliminary proposal to the State Government in this regard and has been assigned to prepare a detailed project report (DRP) to develop the port on a build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis.

Ponnani port, located in the estuary where the Bharathapuzha joins the Arabian Sea, is envisaged to be developed into a deep-water port capable of handling vessels of around 50,000 DWT. The greenfield project is estimated to cost about Rs 1,500 crore, according to officials of the Port Department.

The Government has accorded sanction to adopt the ‘Swiss Challenge’ method for identifying the private partner for the project through a global tender. Accordingly, the DPR being prepared by Malabar Port will be examined by a consultant to be appointed by the Government for technical and economic feasibility.

Malabar Port will not participate in the global tender, but will be offered the opportunity to match the best bid terms received. If it does so, the company will be selected to develop the port and run it commercially.

In case Malabar Port is not able to match the best bidder, the latter will be allowed to implement and operate the port. In the event, Malabar Port will be given a compensation by the winning bidder, the quantum of which will be indicated in the ‘request for proposal’ (RFP) documents.

The selected investor will not be given any financial assistance by the Government for supporting infrastructure such as rail connectivity, widening of the roads, water supply and electricity at any stage of the development process. The Government’s role would be only as a facilitator for the project, the officials said.

The concession period under the BOT agreement will be 30 years. After the concession period, if the Government decides to bid the project again, the right of first refusal may be given to the original developer.

The State Government has selected a slew ports for development as part of the policy. Apart from Vizhinjam container transhipment terminal, for which a developer has already been selected, the other ports in the list that have been put through initial stages of the development process include Beypore, Azhikkal, Alappuzha and Thangassery.

LINK
sanjupalayat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5
phaedrus
resU deretsigeR

cheers ajay!
yeah, i used to come across a lot of news stories about projects throughout kerala and didnt know where to post it. like this:

SRK Group plans Rs 5000cr investment for pan-India expansion

Quote:
Real estate firm SRK Group aims to invest Rs 5000 crore in developing various properties across the country over the next five years with plans to expand to new cities.

"The group has identified many projects in south India and other parts of the country to pump in about Rs 5,000 crore in the next five years in developing residential as well as commercial projects," industry sources said.

When contacted, the Pune-based SRK Group's Chairman and Managing Director K Rasheed Malik said, "We are looking into new areas and different projects. In Kerala, we have already identified some projects, which we will be developing in the future."

He, however, declined to comment on the size of the investment the group is planning to put in.

According to the sources, SRK group plans to invest about Rs 2,000 crore in Kerala in five years. It is also likely to launch 3-4 residential projects in the state within the next six months.

Malik said, the group was looking at markets like Delhi, Gurgaon, Ahmedabad, Pune and Chennai.

"Currently we are talking to land owners to acquire land, but nothing has been finalised yet," he added.
Apart from Delhi, where SRK Group plans to develop only commercial projects, in all the other cities it will develop both residential and commercial properties.

"We are looking to develop about 15 projects in these five new cities with over 100 acres of land in total," Malik said.

The group, which is currently developing 20 projects in south India, is also planning to construct 100 housing units for Adivasis and poor people in Kerala free of cost, he said.

"We will also be launching healthcare facilities and ambulance services in rural Kerala," he added.
source economictimes.com

especially liked the part about them creating housing for the poor in lerala. hope many more real estate companies follow suit
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Jomy
From Treasure City

Likes (Received): 87

Govt approves 10 road projects for Rs 105.07 bn

The government on Monday approved 10 road projects to be build with the help of private firms at a cost of 105.07 billion rupees ($2.5 billion), the finance ministry said in a statement.

The projects, spread over eight states, are part India's plan to significantly improve its infrastructure at a cost of $500 billion over the five years to the end of 2012.

Link: http://www.financialexpress.com/news....07-bn/347446/

The project is spread over 8 states, Dont know whether state KERALA is included in this project or not, anybody knows about it?
Actually the bidding process for cherthala to Trivandrum stretch was ongoing, if that was completed then there is a fare chance of icluding this project in the $500 Billion road infrastructure project.
Jomy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #7
phaedrus
resU deretsigeR

UAE academy in tie-up with TKM group

Quote:
The Lootah Applied Academy (LAA), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the UAE-based conglomerate S.S. Lootah Group, announced the signing of a cooperation agreement with TKM Global Technology and Research Foundation, which is part of the Kerala-based TKM group of institutions.

The protocol agreement was inked by Mr Yousef Saeed Lootah on behalf of Haj Saeed Lootah, Chairman of S.S. Lootah Group, and Mr Shahal H. Musaliar, Group Chairman, TKM Global Technology and Research Foundation.

As part of the agreement, Lootah Applied Academy and TKM will cooperate closely in providing quality education, training, technology transfer and research facilities to the student community in the UAE and India.

The UAE-based academy will also work closely with TKM Finishing School for providing technical, functional and soft skills to bridge the gap between academic courses and industry requirements.

Mr Yousef Saeed Lootah, Executive Board Director of the Group, said, “Our alliance will benefit students in India as well as the UAE by sharpening the skill sets of the new generation of workforce. The vast experience of TKM over the past five decades in providing technical education will also help LAA fulfil the social responsibility in providing trained manpower in advanced technology sectors to meet the future needs of the national economy.”

Mr Musaliar said the tie-up was in line with TKM’s primary vision of providing quality education and training.
source businessline.com
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #8
phaedrus
resU deretsigeR

Kerala panel to draw tourism projects on dams, reservoirs

Quote:
The Kerala Government has decided to constitute a high-level committee to formulate new tourism projects covering dams, reservoirs and hydro-electric stations as also to coordinate the functioning of the existing projects.

The Additional Secretary in charge of the Water Resources Department, Mr K. Jayakumar, and the Tourism Secretary, Mr D.V. Venu, will be the committees Chairman and Convener, respectively, of the committee, while the Chairman of the Kerala State Electricity Board, Tourism Director and the secretaries of related departments will be the members.

The Minister for Tourism, Mr Kodiyeri Balakrishnan, said after a meeting of top officials of the Water Resources, Electricity and Irrigation departments here that the dams and the areas in their vicinity were already attracting tourists and the Government had drawn up several projects to convert these places into tourism destinations.
Basic infrastructure

These projects focus mainly on improving the basic infrastructure in these areas. But the implementation of the projects can succeed only through the coordination of Tourism, Electricity and Irrigation departments.

To achieve this, each destination would have a set-up at the official level, the Minister said.

He made it clear that the projects would be implemented only after ensuring the safety of the dams and its ecological preservation.

The meeting decided to hand over unused quarters in the possession of Water Resources and Electricity departments in the project areas to the Tourism Department.
source businessline.com
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #9
phaedrus
resU deretsigeR

Development projects for Kerala

Quote:
World Malayalee Council (WMC), a fraternity of Keralites around the globe, has chalked out several developmental plans in IT, biotechnology, nanotechnology and township development through out the State. Mr George Kulangara, Chairman, Kerala Province, WMC, said in a release that the Council is planning to construct two technoparks in Kottayam district with public participation and the investment estimated for the projects will be to the tune of Rs 2,000 crore. Preliminary works for the project, including purchase of land, had commenced, he said. The Council had also purchased 50 acres at Manjappra near the Cochin International Airport to develop a township and an IT park. The investment for the project is estimated at Rs 1,500 crore. There are also plans to construct resorts at major tourist centres at Kumarakom, Munnar, Cherai, Wagamon and Thattekad, he added
source businessline
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #10
phaedrus
resU deretsigeR

KMML plans projects to cut production cost

The projects, expected to be completed between one year and 18 months, will help the company save about Rs 65 crore.

Quote:
The State-owned Kerala Minerals and Metals Ltd (KMML), the leading manufacturer of rutile grade titanium dioxide in the country, has drawn up three projects that are designed to substantially bring down the cost of production.

All the three projects, estimated to cost a total of Rs 95 crore, have received in-principle clearance from the Public Enterprises Board, according to officials of the Industries Department.

The first project envisages modular extension of the synthetic rutile plant for capacity augmentation from 35,000 tonnes to 50,000 tonnes per year. The company’s production cost of synthetic rutile, an intermediate product and a raw material for the production of titanium dioxide, is Rs 1,300 to Rs 1,500 a tonne, while the market procurement price is Rs 3,000 to Rs 3,400 a tonne.

The Rs 30-crore project is expected to result in a saving of about Rs 20 crore for the company.

New plant

Another project in the pipeline is a new mineral separation plant for separation of valuable minerals such as zircon, rutile and illmenite from tailings (waste sand) from the existing mineral separation plant.

This will enhance the annual production capacity of zircon from 1,800 tonnes to 6,480 tonnes, rutile from 3,000 tonnes to 4,000 tonnes and illmenite from 50,000 tonnes to 63,000 tonnes.

The plant will incorporate new technology-based methods featuring specific machinery instead of the present indigenous manual methods. The company is expected to save costs to the extent of Rs 25 crore once the project is commissioned.

The company is also replacing furnace oil as the boiler fuel with coal or coke. It is pointed out that the cost of producing one tonne of steam using furnace oil is Rs 2,100, while it is less than Rs 1,000 with coal or coke, leading to a reduction in fuel expenses by more than 50 per cent. Besides, the price of furnace oil has almost doubled over the last few months.

The officials said that the total cost of Rs 95 crore would be funded from internal resources. The projects, expected to be completed between one year and 18 months, will help the company save about Rs 65 crore.
source businessline
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #11
vinod/kakka

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
The project is spread over 8 states, Dont know whether state KERALA is included in this project or not, anybody knows about it?
Actually the bidding process for cherthala to Trivandrum stretch was ongoing, if that was completed then there is a fare chance of icluding this project in the $500 Billion road infrastructure project.
It includes parts of NH-17. If my memory is right, I think it is Kuttipuram - Edapally.
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #12
zhiemi
sitz, it is.

Likes (Received): 7

Malaysian firm re-enters $336 m Kerala road project

Quote:
Blueprint is ready for the Phase-II of World Bank-backed Kerala road KSTP (Kerala State Transport Project), even as the mele over the three-year delay in the Phase I of the $336-million project is piping down. Amidst the prolonged blame game, a senior executive of Malaysian contractor firm PATI had even committed suicide.

Designs are in place and the necessary land acquistion process is on, Kerala works minister Mons Joseph told FE. About 51 hectares of land have been acquired so far for the remaining 127 km of KSTP project.

During the Phase I that spilled over by three years, the Malaysian contractor PATI had not kept the deadline. State government, in its turn, had failed to make unencumbered land available for the project at the right time. This Phase of the 256-km road project is expected to be complete by December 2008.

Forgetting the unpleasant exchanges and the suicide of a key official over the project, PATI is back on Kerala terrain to work on KSTP. As earlier, it is partnered by Indian contractor Bhageeratha Engineering Ltd in the consortium PATI-BEL.

The good will comes with a price for Kerala government. The revised estimate for the final leg (upgrading 127 km) is for Rs 215 crore.

Quoting arbitration costs for the delay, Malaysian firm had claimed Rs 35 crore. In the last leg, the firm also gets 72.5% hike in rate.

Kerala government, however, says that the artbitration rates were negotiated down from the Rs 96 crore claimed. PATI had also originally asked for 80% hike in rate.

Out of the $336 million outlay for KSTP project, World Bank financing is for $255 million and State government's share is $79 million.

Besides Malaysian PATI, Delhi-based Oriental Structural Engineers Pvt Ltd, Kerala-based Bhageeratha and another Malaysian firm Road Builder were involved in contract. Only PATI-led consortium's share of the work was pending.
zhiemi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM   #13
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 2898

Quote:
HAL Kerala unit to go on stream in 15 months
Thiruvananthapuram • Defence Minister A K Antony has said the new unit of State-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), being set up in the northern Kasargod district, will go on stream in 15 months.

Antony, who was instrumental in getting the missile-manufacturing Brahmos to set up shop in Thiruvananthapuram, thanked the Left-ruled State Government for paving the way for the strategic units to come to Kerala.

Politics would not stand in the way of the Federal Government sanctioning development schemes in various parts of the country, depending on the location advantage available in each State, he said.

Antony will lay the foundation stone for the Rs660m first phase of HAL’s Hyderabad avionics division on 200 acres, leased out from Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corp (Kinfra) at Seethamgoli near Kumbala in the northern district bordering Karnataka, on August 23.

The Hyderabad unit is manufacturing a wide variety of electronic equipment for areas like communication, radar, navigation, computers and electronic warfare.

Antony said the facility, which would evolve into a major manufacturing establishment of strategic aerospace machines, would boost the industrial development of the district.

HAL has 19 production Units and 9 research and design centres, with an impressive product track record - 12 types of aircraft manufactured with in-house R & D and 14 types produced under license. HAL has manufactured over 3,550 aircraft, 3,600 engines and overhauled over 8,150 aircraft and 27,300 engines.

Dhruv, the advanced light helicopter, Tejas, light combat aircraft and the intermediate jet trainer are among its high-profile products. It has also played a significant role for India’s space programs by participating in the manufacture of structures for Satellite Launch Vehicles.

With his popularity riding a high following his success in getting a hefty package for Defence personnel, Antony has enough reasons to be happy about his contribution to Kerala after taking over as the Defence Minister.

It was his intervention that helped the proposed international container terminal at Vizhinjam get the Defence Ministry clearance.
http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Dis...0080818888.xml
Old August 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Quote:
Kasargod: A K Antony Lays Foundation Stone for HAL strategic Electronic Unit

Kasargod, Aug 24: "Controversy is essential. However, it should not come in the way of developmental works," said Union Defence Minister A K Antony.

Speaking after laying foundation stone to HAL’s strategic electronics branch factory at Kinfra Industrial park at Seethangoli in Kasargod district, 45 kms from Mangalore, he said “conflicts have become disease in Kerala. Politics should not come in the way of development.”

He said HAL unit in Kasargod district is another example of healthy and cordial relationship between State and centre. Major political changes in the Centre has not hampered the developmental works in Kerala. If the trust continues, then there is no looking back on the progress of the State.

He said “some more units will be set up in Kerala. However, I will reveal it at an appropriate time.”

Minister said the Brahmos Aerospace unit at Thiruvananthapuram was the first defence related industry started in Kerala in 2007. Today HAL has ventured into the production in Kerala. Minister for Industries Elamaram Kareem said HAL’s unit in Kasargod is Onam gift for the Keralites.

He said “there were no major industries in Kerala in the past. However, now we are creating an atmosphere to attract investment. A meeting will be convened at Delhi on August 28 wherein we will present a report on the opportunities in Kerala for investment.”

He said owing to the connectivity to sea, air and NH, HAL has chosen Kinfra Industrial Park for the establishment of its unit.

“An electronic park will be developed at Kinfra Industrial area. Another Industrial park will also be developed in Kasargod. I have already directed the District Collector of Kasargod and Kinfra MD to work towards it,” he added.
MLAs Ahamed Ali, C H Kunhambu, Principal Secretary to PM T K Nair, HAL Chairman A K Baweja, Principal Secretary (Industries and Comerce) Kerala state T Balakrishnan were present.

The document of lease deed of land was handed over to HAL Director (Planning) M Fakruddin by Kinfra MD S Ramanath.
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...ectronic+Unit+
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #15
Into_salem
Have a Nice Time....

Likes (Received): 23

Thiru T.R. Baalu approves Rs. 3551.29 lacs for road improvement works in Kerala

The Union Minister of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways, Thiru T.R. Baalu has approved a sum of Rs. 3551.29 lacs for road improvement works in various districts in the state of Kerala under the Central Road Fund Scheme.

An amount of Rs. 1447.12 lacs has been approved for Improvement of Areakode-Tirurkad Road in Malappuram district. It is the shortest route from Wynad district to Cochin and Palakkad. It bypasses Calicut City while traveling from North-South of Kerala saving travel time of atleast 90 minutes. Improvements to this road will give a boost to the business and tourism in this area. The proposed road will also provide access to the remote villages to Perinthalmanna, the nearest township of Tirurkad having a number of multi specialty hospitals.

An amount of Rs. 1316.14 lacs has been approved for Improvement of Alapuzha-Kuravilangadu Road in Kottayam district. This road starts from Thanneermukkam junction in Alappuzha district and ends at Kuravilangad junction in Kottayam district. Five culverts in this road need to be extended as these are creating discomfort to the road users and also increasing the vehicle operating cost. This has to be corrected by providing a profile corrective course.

Further, an amount of Rs. 788.03 lacs has been approved for Improvement of Thalassery-Anjarakandy Road. in Kannur district. This road has a vital role in the economy of the locality since it imparts connectivity to the eastern parts of Karmur district to the nearest township like Kannur and Thalasseri and it accelerates the movements of the agricultural products and cash crops. Considering the importance of the road the improvement of this road is highly necessitated.

http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=41817
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #16
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Now north Kerala lures tourists with homestays

KOZHIKODE: Beaches, rivers, mountains, forests, ayurveda - though north Kerala has everything that brought 515,808 foreign tourists to this state last year, it received only six per cent of them. But that is changing, thanks to the start given by Wayanad district.

The state's six northernmost districts - Kasaragod, Kannur, Kozhikode, Wayanad, Malappuram and Palakkad - have a basic problem, lack of infrastructure for tourists. In the hill district of Wayanad, individual entrepreneurs are putting up homestays - a perennial favourite with tourists.

"The district now has around 40 homestays. Most of them have come up in the last three years," says KV Biju, the secretary of the Wayanad district tourism promotion council (DTPC).

Fifteen of the 40 have already got classification certificates from the Kerala Tourism Department.

"We come to know about these homestays largely when we process their application under the classification scheme," Biju says. "There may be many others, but we have no way of knowing about them."

The homestay option in Wayanad is still not widely known abroad. "Most of the tourists coming to Wayanad at present are IT (information technology) professionals from Bangalore. Only five percent of total tourists (who visited the district last year) are foreigners," says Biju.

Wayanad district still needs around 600 more rooms to meet the demand at the peak tourist season.

"In Wayanad there is a shortage of rooms. We need around 1,000 rooms; but we have only 400 now," says Biju. K Ravindran, general secretary of Malabar Tourism Organisation, says: "I think there are around 60 homestays in Wayanad. But we have to see how many of them offer quality service to tourists." Most of the homestays have come in the last two years, he adds.

Hills and forests are by no means the only attractions on offer in the Malabar region - as north Kerala is known.

In Kozhikode, Perincheri Mani along with 10 others is tapping the potential of river tourism. Mani takes tourists on a cruise up and down the picturesque Chaliyar river. "We get foreign customers," Mani says. "Many of them are Arabs who come to the nearby resorts. We offer them a cruise on our 12-seat boat." A 10-kilometre cruise costs Rs 600.

Suhas N. and his friends started his tour operating venture Green Hunters last year. He has arranged about 30 package tours by now. "We have tie-ups with around 50 homestays and resorts in various parts of the state. Many of them are located in Wayanad," he says.

"We also had a few corporate customers, who wanted to organise their get-togethers at resorts."

The potential of beach tourism remains largely untapped, despite the presence of famous historic spots such as Bekal in Kasaragod district, which has a resort nearby.

"Only a small number of tourists visit the beaches here. The numbers are very small compared to tourists visiting beaches like Kovalam. Foreign tourists are not visiting our beaches here because we lack good infrastructure and proper marketing," says US Prasad, assistant manager of Bekal Resorts Development Corporation (BRDC).

The BRDC was set up in 1995 to develop an integrated beach destination in Bekal village of Kasaragod district.
Prasad did not think that beach tourism suffers because tourists don't like being stared at.

"People here are not worried much about skimpily clad tourists sunbathing on beaches. The tourists, on their part, are aware of the culture here. We also mention this in the leaflets provided to them. They usually take care to dress in a way that it won't hurt the sentiments of the people."

On second thoughts, Prasad added: "This kind of cultural problems could be affecting tourist inflow here. But it is not a major problem."

According to K Sajeevan, an official at the district tourism promotion council in Kannur district, the attitude of the locals towards tourists has changed in a big way in north Kerala. "Nowadays, not many people stare at tourists. About 10 years ago this was not the case."

Economic Times
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #17
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Quote:
Kerala minor ports set to handle 27 million tonnes by 2011-12
Project Monitor reported that Kerala is seen to be making good progress in its effort to develop its numerous minor ports. Discussing various ongoing development works Capt S Vijayan Pillai Director of Ports Government Kerala told Project Monitor that by 2011-12 the state has targeted to handle 27 million tonnes of cargo through its non major ports.

Much of the capacity expansion is targeted through private participation and it is expected that over INR 5,000 crore of private investment would flow into Kerala's maritime infrastructure development in the coming years. While development of non major ports got a major boost with the recent award of the Vizhinjam international container terminal project others like Beypore, Azhikkal, Alappuzha, Thangassery and Ponnani are also seen progressing.

The state government has decided to develop a marina and a cargo harbour Alapuzzha in the namesake district. The port department is currently seeking consultants to prepare the detailed project report and to structure the project on PPP basis. Explaining the background, Captain Pillai said that earlier it was envisaged to develop the marina followed by the cargo harbor. L&T Ramboll Consulting Engineers had even prepared the detailed project report for this configuration.

Captain Pillai said that "We have now decided to develop the 2 aspects concurrently which is why consultants are being sought again." He added that the detailed projects are expected to be ready in 4 months from appointment of consultants. The cargo harbor would essentially be a coastal shipping one and in keeping with the current trends in maritime trade should be able to handle containers also.

Regarding the Thangassery port in Kollam district, Captain Pillai said that the port was dedicated to the nation in November last year and the Centre has sanctioned around INR 20 crore for development works to enable commercial operations. Work orders have been issued for expanding the wharf length from 116 million to 240 million and for channel deepening. Further development at the port will be done through private participation, Capt Pillai said that elaborating that 4 consultants had been short listed for structuring the project on PPP mode. He said that "The consultant will be finalized in around 2 weeks."

For the Azhikkal and Beypore port projects in Kannur district, Capt Pillai said that Mumbai based Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India Private Limited and Delhi based Consulting Engineering Services Private Limited had been appointed as respective consultants to design the port development projects on PPP basis. He said that "Work on preparing the project report and structuring on PPP basis will begin very soon." Both the Azhikkal and Beypore ports will handle multipurpose cargo while the former will also have a ship repair complex. In phase-I of the two projects a total investment of INR 3,000 crore is expected to flow in.

Captain Pillai said that Chennai based Creative Port Development Private Limited has submitted a suo moto detailed development plan. The state government will adopt the Swiss Challenge Route before awarding the project. Bids will be invited from other potential developers giving the original proponent a chance to match them.

The state received a major boost with the INR 5,400 crore Vizhinjam international container terminal project after being dogged by delays was finally awarded to Lanco Group Malaysia's Pembinan Redzai. The private developer was also awarded the security clearance recently. To be developed in four phases with an ultimate capacity of 6.5 million TEUs, phase-I of the project will aim at 1.5 million TEUs involving investment of INR 2,400 crore over the next 5 years. While Lanco will construct the terminal, the Malaysian partner will operate it. The consortium will develop the project on BOT basis under a 33 year concession period.

Recent developments bode well for Kerala's maritime and tourism infrastructure. Although Kerala has a vast coastline of 590 kilometer punctuated by 18 ports, infrastructure constraints abound. Capt Pillai said that "Cargo handling is currently limited to only the Azhikkal, Beypore and Vizhinjam ports." Most of the remaining seventeen ports are seasonal ports that are incapable even of handling small and medium vessels throughout the year. Kerala has only one major port at Kochi which is under Central management. The major port handled 15.8 million tonnes of cargo in 2007-08 accounting for less than 4% of the combined cargo at all major ports.
http://steelguru.com/news/index/2008...y_2011-12.html
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #18
ajithv
BANNED

KSDPL embarks on modernisation

The Kerala government-owned Kerala State Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Ltd is undertaking a modernisation and diversification programme involving an investment of Rs 27 crore.
The company is currently in the process of finalising a pharma formulation consultant to implement the modernisation programme, Rajivan Nair, Deputy Manager, Kerala State Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Ltd, told Projectmonitor over telephone from Alappuzha.
Nair said that the project, which is expected to be completed within a year, also involved implementation of good manufacturing practices, termed as Schedule M Standards under the Drugs & Cosmetics Act, besides diversifying its operation by setting up a separate beta lactum plant.
KSDP manufactures pharmaceutical formulations in various dosage forms—tablets, capsules, powders, liquid preparations, injections ampoules, vials and transfusions, and eye drops. "All our products are supplied to the state government hospitals," Naid said, adding that the plant set up in 1974 at Kalavoor was required to be modernised as the machineries had become obsolete. "Besides this, we are also entering into the manufacture of veternary medicines."

Source
ajithv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:17 AM   #19
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Kerala wooing IT majors

Quote:
CHENNAI: Kerala is all out to woo IT majors. It is hoping to attract investment worth a few billion dollars to develop IT parks across the State by setting up special purpose vehicles.

N. RadhaKrishnan Nair, Chief Executive Officer of Technopark Kerala, who was here recently, told this correspondent that Kerala had earmarked 1,000 acres for developing IT parks over the next eight years. Similarly, another 500 acres would be developed by private developers.

The State, he said, hoped to attract an investment of around Rs. 20,000 crore over eight years in these government-sponsored parks.

Mr. Nair said promotional campaign was done jointly with Nasscom (National Association of Software and Service Companies), Southern Region. The State had decided to develop IT parks — Smart City on 240 acres, Sobha Hitech City on 400 acres, Infopark and Cial IT Park, all in Kochi, Technopark in Thiruvananthapuram and Cyberpark in Kozhikode.

The Technopark would be developed in three phases under the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) category. Phase-I was already up and running, which housed 45,000 people. Phase-II is under construction on 86 acres and this could house 30,000 people. Phase-III, which would come up on 100 acres, could accommodate 35,000 people. The Government hoped to attract investment worth over Rs. 7,000 crore in these three projects. So far, Rs. 5,000 crores had been spent and a special purpose vehicle had been created to manage and run these parks, wherein the State Government would have a 26 per cent stake.

Similarly, the State was also developing Technocity, a second centre in Thiruvananthapuram, on 450 acres. This, it is hoped, will house one lakh employees.

The park will be completed by 2015 with an investment of $2 billion.
http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/21/stor...2155521300.htm
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:17 AM   #20
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Kerala wooing IT majors

Quote:
CHENNAI: Kerala is all out to woo IT majors. It is hoping to attract investment worth a few billion dollars to develop IT parks across the State by setting up special purpose vehicles.

N. RadhaKrishnan Nair, Chief Executive Officer of Technopark Kerala, who was here recently, told this correspondent that Kerala had earmarked 1,000 acres for developing IT parks over the next eight years. Similarly, another 500 acres would be developed by private developers.

The State, he said, hoped to attract an investment of around Rs. 20,000 crore over eight years in these government-sponsored parks.

Mr. Nair said promotional campaign was done jointly with Nasscom (National Association of Software and Service Companies), Southern Region. The State had decided to develop IT parks — Smart City on 240 acres, Sobha Hitech City on 400 acres, Infopark and Cial IT Park, all in Kochi, Technopark in Thiruvananthapuram and Cyberpark in Kozhikode.

The Technopark would be developed in three phases under the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) category. Phase-I was already up and running, which housed 45,000 people. Phase-II is under construction on 86 acres and this could house 30,000 people. Phase-III, which would come up on 100 acres, could accommodate 35,000 people. The Government hoped to attract investment worth over Rs. 7,000 crore in these three projects. So far, Rs. 5,000 crores had been spent and a special purpose vehicle had been created to manage and run these parks, wherein the State Government would have a 26 per cent stake.

Similarly, the State was also developing Technocity, a second centre in Thiruvananthapuram, on 450 acres. This, it is hoped, will house one lakh employees.

The park will be completed by 2015 with an investment of $2 billion.
http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/21/stor...2155521300.htm

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: