daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Old July 16th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #2761
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4232

Canadian Football League
2014 Week #1

Toronto Argonauts @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers 24,872
Montreal Alouettes @ Calgary Stampeders 26,135
Edmonton Eskimos @ BC Lions 24,524
Hamilton Tiger-Cats @ Saskatchewan Roughriders 19,285

Week #1 attendance: 94,816
Week #1 average attendance: 23,704
Cummulative attendance: 94,816
Average attendance: 23,704

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 16th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #2762
isaidso
the new republic

Canadian Football League
2014 Week #2

Ottawa RedBlacks @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers 27,553
BC Lions @ Montreal Alouettes 20,018
Hamilton Tiger-Cats @ Edmonton Eskimos 30,714
Saskatchewan Roughriders @ Toronto Argonauts 17,758

Week #2 attendance: 96,043
Week #2 average attendance: 24,011
Cummulative attendance: 190,859
Average attendance: 23,857

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #2763
isaidso
the new republic

Canadian Football League
2014 Week #3

Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Montreal Alouettes 20,348
Ottawa RedBlacks @ Edmonton Eskimos 31,521
Calgary Stampeders @ Toronto Argonauts 16,102
BC Lions @ Saskatchewan Roughriders 32,864

Week #3 attendance: 100,835
Week #3 average attendance: 25,209
Cummulative attendance: 291,694
Average attendance: 24,308

Last edited by isaidso; July 16th, 2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:17 PM   #2764
isaidso
the new republic

The Ottawa Fury set a NASL attendance record in their home opener at newly renovated/rebuilt TD Place with 14,593 fans showing up. Ottawa lost to the New York Cosmos 1 - 0. Ottawa will need to post similar attendance or better on a regular basis if their aspirations of moving to MLS are ever to be realized.

Last edited by isaidso; July 21st, 2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:44 PM   #2765
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The Ottawa Fury set a NASL attendance record in their home opener at newly renovated/rebuilt TD Place with 14,593 fans showing up. Ottawa lost to the New York Cosmos 1 - 0. Ottawa will need to post similar attendance or better on a regular basis if their aspirations of moving to MLS are ever to be realized.
a) Now that's only for the modern iteration of the NASL, correct? Obviously old Cosmos games from the 70's topped that, among others.

b) I wouldn't say Ottawa needs to match that pace, given the relative performance of other teams/cities that have made the jump. More importantly, though, MLS will want to see how their new additions impact TV appeal before considering further additions. At this point the model only works by adding geometric increases in media value, so whether we're looking at Austin, Sacramento or Ottawa what matters to MLS is the team's ability to lure broadcast revenue.
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:06 PM   #2766
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
a) Now that's only for the modern iteration of the NASL, correct? Obviously old Cosmos games from the 70's topped that, among others.

b) I wouldn't say Ottawa needs to match that pace, given the relative performance of other teams/cities that have made the jump. More importantly, though, MLS will want to see how their new additions impact TV appeal before considering further additions. At this point the model only works by adding geometric increases in media value, so whether we're looking at Austin, Sacramento or Ottawa what matters to MLS is the team's ability to lure broadcast revenue.
I guess the modern iteration as they stated the previous record at 13,000+ set by the Cosmos.

Montreal and Vancouver both made the jump, but they're bonafide 'major league' cities with large populations, a proven track record in other leagues, a large corporate base, etc. No doubt those metrics you listed above are key, but Ottawa and similarly 'small' cities will likely have to do more to impress in areas they can control like attendance since they're weaker in those other areas. Ottawa is a very wealthy metro, grows quickly, and is high profile being the national capital so it does have some things in its favour.

Ottawa has 1.3 million people in its metropolitan area; perhaps only 1.5 million in the Ottawa Valley. It's barely larger than Salt Lake City.

Last edited by isaidso; July 21st, 2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:07 PM   #2767
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

It is a curious thing, thinking about the prospects of a Canadian city breaking into that echelon of sports towns thus far reserved for the nation's big three. Obviously any city with NHL and CFL franchises is worth consideration but to date the idea of anyone other than Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver involved in one of the NBA, MLB or MLS would feel odd. (Yes, I know MLS isn't in the same stratosphere, but seeing as it is striving for such airs...)

For me, part of it is also knowing I see a number of other Canadian metros that are worth comparable growth and I'd hate to see them left without viable options. Quebec, Calgary and Edmonton... But then again I'm a romantic in the sense that I'd love to see Canada have it's own sports leagues across the board. A veritable "polar" opposite to Australia, you could say!
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:00 PM   #2768
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 843

MLS attendance thus far for the 2014 season

I am what I am..

Big Daddy Popeye US Navy/retired
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:29 AM   #2769
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
It is a curious thing, thinking about the prospects of a Canadian city breaking into that echelon of sports towns thus far reserved for the nation's big three. Obviously any city with NHL and CFL franchises is worth consideration but to date the idea of anyone other than Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver involved in one of the NBA, MLB or MLS would feel odd. (Yes, I know MLS isn't in the same stratosphere, but seeing as it is striving for such airs...)

For me, part of it is also knowing I see a number of other Canadian metros that are worth comparable growth and I'd hate to see them left without viable options. Quebec, Calgary and Edmonton... But then again I'm a romantic in the sense that I'd love to see Canada have it's own sports leagues across the board. A veritable "polar" opposite to Australia, you could say!
Living next to a culturally identical nation 9 times our population, Canada has always been in a tough spot when it comes to sports leagues. Competing with the NBA or MLB is a daunting proposition to the point that US rivals to those haven't even materialized. Hockey is a special case. The NHL used to be based in Canada and Americans are more receptive to the 7 squads we have due to our place in the sport. The CFL exists only because it was already well established 5-6 decades ago. Getting it off the ground today would be next to impossible.

Canada does have the NBL in basketball, but it's unknown outside of cities that host a team. In soccer, Canada looks more interested in duplicating its standing in NHL than going the NBL route. We do have 3 markets that wouldn't look out of place in MLS regardless of how big the league gets: Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa. All 3 are larger than Salt Lake City, all 3 are very wealthy (they're likely #1, #2, #3 in Canada/US in per capita income), and all 3 are experiencing rapid population growth. They may not be quite there today, but as early as 2025 these will be metros hovering in around the 2 million mark. Quebec City is a long shot, and Winnipeg even more unlikely.

Long term, Canada would likely be satisfied with 6 MLS teams. The problem is that by the time Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa catch up in size (2025-2030) MLS may be finished expanding. They will have just missed the boat. Canada would need to be a nation approaching 100 million people to have viable, prosperous domestic leagues in all 5 sports that could compete head on with their US rivals. With just 35 million people, it's just not doable. Europe and Australia benefit from distance. I think their basketball leagues would be in trouble if they had the US right next door; same goes for European hockey leagues. Their attention wouldn't be on their domestic league, but on the American ones. It makes the CFL all the more impressive imo. It's by no means a big deep pocketed league, but it's mere existence surprises many. That it's actually growing, another feather in its cap.

Last edited by isaidso; Yesterday at 03:12 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:47 AM   #2770
weava

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Living next to a nation 9 times our population, Canada has always been in a tough spot when it comes to sports leagues. Competing with the NBA or MLB is a daunting proposition to the point that US rivals to those haven't even materialized. Hockey is a special case. The NHL used to be based in Canada and Americans are more receptive to the 7 squads we have due to our place in the sport. The CFL exists only because it was already well established 5-6 decades ago. Getting it off the ground today would be next to impossible.

Canada does have the NBL in basketball, but it's unknown outside of cities that host a team. In soccer, Canada looks more interested in duplicating its standing in NHL than going the NBL route. We do have 3 markets that wouldn't look out of place in MLS regardless of how big the league gets: Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa. All 3 are larger than Salt Lake City, all 3 are very wealthy, and all 3 are experiencing rapid population growth. They may not be quite there today, but as early as 2025 these will be metros hovering in around the 2 million mark. Quebec City is a long shot, and Winnipeg even more unlikely.

Long term, Canada would likely be satisfied with 6 MLS teams. The problem is that by the time Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa catch up in size (2025-2030) MLS may be finished expanding. They will have just missed the boat. Canada would need to be a nation approaching 100 million people to have viable, prosperous domestic leagues in all 5 sports that could compete head on with their US rivals. With just 35 million people, it's just not doable. Europe and Australia benefit from distance. I think their basketball leagues would be in trouble if they had the US right next door; same goes for European hockey leagues. Their attention wouldn't be on their domestic league, but on the American ones. It makes the CFL quite impressive imo. It's, by no means, a big deep pocketed league, but it's mere existence surprises many. That it's actually growing another feather in its cap.
Canadian Cities are actually better off than many US cities of similar or larger size in terms of Pro sports. Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Quebec, and Winnipeg are all between 700k and 1.2 million and each have a NHL AND CFL team. (2 each)
Louisville, Providence, Virginia Beach, Richmond, Austin, and Las Vegas are all between 1.2 million and 2 million with ZERO pro teams combined...
Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Rochester are also cities with over a million and zero pro teams(major leagues).

Most of those US cities do have AAA baseball teams though, and college sports teams.

bd popeye liked this post

Last edited by weava; Yesterday at 02:54 AM.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:56 AM   #2771
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
Canadian Cities are actually better off than many US cities of similar or larger size in terms of Pro sports. Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Quebec, and Winnipeg are all between 700k and 1.2 million and each have a NHL AND CFL team. (2 each)
Louisville, Providence, Virginia Beach, Richmond, Austin, and Las Vegas are all between 1.2 million and 2 million with ZERO pro teams combined...
Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Rochester are also cities with over a million and zero pro teams.

If anything, North America needs more pro teams
You're quite right there. I can't think of any US cities under 1.5 million that have 2 pro teams. The US seems to fill that void through the NCAA, but I'd prefer the other option that you alluded to.

I'd much rather see the NBA, MLS, MLB, NHL, and CFL/NFL properly saturate the Canada/US market. They would need 60-80 franchises each to get there. It's a crying shame that in Canada/US, where sport is so central to our culture, that so many large places go without. Pro sports owners don't want the value of their franchise diluted and that's the crux of it. Many go without because they don't want it.

Btw, Quebec City doesn't have CFL or NHL but your point stands.

sweet-d liked this post
Old Yesterday, 03:08 AM   #2772
weava

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
You're quite right there. I can't think of any US cities under 1.5 million that have 2 pro teams. The US seems to fill that void through the NCAA, but I'd prefer the other option that you alluded to.

I'd much rather see the NBA, MLS, MLB, NHL, and CFL/NFL properly saturate the Canada/US market. They would need 60-80 franchises each to get there. It's a crying shame that in Canada/US, where sport is so central to our culture, that so many large places go without. Pro sports owners don't want the value of their franchise diluted and that's the crux of it. Many go without because they don't want it.

Btw, Quebec City doesn't have CFL or NHL but your point stands.
Ah, you're right. I forgot Quebec no longer has a team, became the Avalanche.
Old Yesterday, 03:18 AM   #2773
isaidso
the new republic

Yeah, but they'll likely have both NHL and CFL within 10 years.

Old Yesterday, 03:18 AM   #2774
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 290

Buffalo and New Orleans are two US metros that are under 1.5 million and have two major league sports teams in town. (Buffalo -- NFL and NHL; New Orleans -- NFL and NBA).
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:30 AM   #2775
isaidso
the new republic

Oh right. Milwaukee is close to having 2 (Bucks and Packers), but really should have 3 (NHL).

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM   #2776
isaidso
the new republic

Canadian Football League
2014 Week #4

Edmonton Eskimos @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers 30,976
Toronto Argonauts @ Ottawa RedBlacks 24,326 SELL OUT
Hamilton Tiger-Cats @ Calgary Stampeders 27,546
Montreal Alouettes @ BC Lions 25,063

Week #4 attendance: 107,911
Week #4 average attendance: 26,978
Cummulative attendance: 399,605
Average attendance: 24,975

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #2777
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
It's an interesting poser. Clearly the systems in place have worked in driving sports to where they are but one wonders how the pressures might evolve as more and more markets prove worthy of teams? Especially if the NCAA suffers pushback based on current lawsuits one wonders if the future of professional North American football might more closely resemble the modern college game with some 40-50 teams.

More a topic for another thread, but it'd be a fun one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
MLS attendance thus far for the 2014 season
Let's stop and reflect that 11 US/Canadian soccer franchises are averaging above 18k per game for now the third year in a row! That's an awesome note considering the state of MLS at the end of the 90's. And that the league is doing equally as well despite Chivas' epically bad year.

Nice to see DC and Chicago picking it up.
Old Today, 09:12 AM   #2778
isaidso
the new republic

I imagine college sports will continue to grow in stature on both sides of the border as pro sports owners have a vested interest in keeping people out.

It's safe to say that MLS is on very solid footing with lots of other cities showing strong interest. The days when some franchises need to bring in players like Beckham are over. People will show up for pro soccer, they don't need star power to reel them in.

Old Today, 09:13 AM   #2779
isaidso
the new republic

Double post.

Last edited by isaidso; Today at 09:24 AM.