daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #141
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

Nice homes!
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2014, 05:35 PM   #142
Venber
BANNED

Likes (Received): 83

Need more info
Venber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:19 PM   #143
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venber View Post
Need more info
That's random. What needs more info?
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:45 PM   #144
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
That's random. What needs more info?
More info on how to spam effectively, I think.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:47 AM   #145
Taller, Better
Administrator

hehe... I suppose so. I went through all his few entries and couldn't find any spam....

but that line below the text is a dead giveaway for spammers..
Old September 8th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #146
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

New development proposed in Crystal Beach, along Ridgeway Road between Graeber Avenue and Lake Avenue (across Ridgeway Road from the amusement park site)

Jaybird liked this post
Old October 9th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #147
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I have a few questions or comments for Ontarians that popped up in my mind when I was up there in August:

~ What do people in Ontario call the Queen Elizabeth Way informally? I always called it “the Q.E.W.”, but my grandfather, from Buffalo, calls it “the Queen E.”
~ There’s a platform in Lake Ontario in Hamilton west of the Red Hill Valley Parkway. I tried finding it in Google Maps satellite images, and Bing Maps satellite images, but couldn’t find it. Anyway, it’s there. Does anyone know what it’s used for?
~ What do you guys think of the HOV lanes on the QEW? I found them strange. Having a solid white line and allowing exiting (and entering) only when exits are approaching means that you’re stuck behind someone. In Virginia, as one contrast, HOV lanes are marked with different dotted lines. You can use the HOV if you meet the requirements, but you are free to leave, and therefore go around someone if needed. (They also have reversible HOV lanes in northern Virginia, but there don’t appear to be any in the Hampton Roads area.)
~ How did Hurontario Street and Dixie Road get their names? I’m thinking that Hurontario Street is a long road that connects Lake Huron and Lake Ontario, like an old portage. I have no idea for Dixie Road.
~ Is it just me, or would it have been better to have Highway 406 not terminate in Welland at the new traffic circle, but curve eastward, use the existing tunnels under the canal, and continue on to Port Colborne? I would’ve loved that since that’s where I’m always traveling from, but I can see connecting it to Highway 3 for legitimate reasons.
~ Does anyone else think that "Ontario" is a really nice name? I'm always there in the summer, so my images and experiences of the province are skewed, but "Ontario" just has a sunny and vibrant look and sound to it. The mix of vowels and consonants just works. Maybe it's because it's an Indian word? "New Brunswick" or "Connecticut" or "Tennessee" don't sound vibrant, though. Part of me thinks I'm crazy, but the linguistics of it do provide some legitimacy, I think.
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #148
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

We call the QEW just that, the Q.E.W. Say each letter out like you are listing the alphabet.

Was the platform in Hamilton Harbour? Probably something to do with the steel mill then. If it was in the main part of the lake, then no idea.

Hurontario is a relatively new name for the street, it was simply "Highway 10" for a very, very long time. And yes, its a play on the fact that Highway 10 runs between Lake Huron and Lake Ontario. Most of that road still goes by Highway 10 however, its only the urban part that goes by Hurontario.

Dixie, no idea. I'm guessing its some old municipal figure of importance.

The solid white lines on the HOVs are to prevent people from passing on the right, which is more likely to cause an accident.

Port Colbourne is a bit small for a 400 series highway, especially given the huge cost of getting one there due to all the rail lines and canals in the area.

Taller, Better liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #149
Jaybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I have a few questions or comments for Ontarians that popped up in my mind when I was up there in August:

~ What do people in Ontario call the Queen Elizabeth Way informally? I always called it “the Q.E.W.”, but my grandfather, from Buffalo, calls it “the Queen E.”
~ There’s a platform in Lake Ontario in Hamilton west of the Red Hill Valley Parkway. I tried finding it in Google Maps satellite images, and Bing Maps satellite images, but couldn’t find it. Anyway, it’s there. Does anyone know what it’s used for?
~ What do you guys think of the HOV lanes on the QEW? I found them strange. Having a solid white line and allowing exiting (and entering) only when exits are approaching means that you’re stuck behind someone. In Virginia, as one contrast, HOV lanes are marked with different dotted lines. You can use the HOV if you meet the requirements, but you are free to leave, and therefore go around someone if needed. (They also have reversible HOV lanes in northern Virginia, but there don’t appear to be any in the Hampton Roads area.)
~ How did Hurontario Street and Dixie Road get their names? I’m thinking that Hurontario Street is a long road that connects Lake Huron and Lake Ontario, like an old portage. I have no idea for Dixie Road.
~ Is it just me, or would it have been better to have Highway 406 not terminate in Welland at the new traffic circle, but curve eastward, use the existing tunnels under the canal, and continue on to Port Colborne? I would’ve loved that since that’s where I’m always traveling from, but I can see connecting it to Highway 3 for legitimate reasons.
~ Does anyone else think that "Ontario" is a really nice name? I'm always there in the summer, so my images and experiences of the province are skewed, but "Ontario" just has a sunny and vibrant look and sound to it. The mix of vowels and consonants just works. Maybe it's because it's an Indian word? "New Brunswick" or "Connecticut" or "Tennessee" don't sound vibrant, though. Part of me thinks I'm crazy, but the linguistics of it do provide some legitimacy, I think.
Personally, I call the Q.E.W. the "Q.E.".

Second question I cannot answer.

The HOV lanes I found very useful when me and my co-worker commuted to a job in Mississauga for a few weeks.

Hurontario gets its name, because the highway connects Mississauga on Lake Ontario to Owen Sound, near Lake Huron, hence "Hurontario".

It would be better to have Highway 406 terminate at another Ontario Highway (namely 3). Ontario's Highway system was downgraded dramatically in 1997 and 1998, when control for many of its highways was downloaded to municipalities, most notably Highway 2 from Windsor all the way to the Quebec border.

Ontario is a neat name, to be honest. I do agree about it having a sunny, vibrant sound to it. A lot of its tourism jingles back in the 80s and 90s make it sound like a nice place!
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:54 AM   #150
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Ontario is a neat name, to be honest. I do agree about it having a sunny, vibrant sound to it. A lot of its tourism jingles back in the 80s and 90s make it sound like a nice place!
Agreed! Remember the old Ontari-ari-ari-o ads? We even saw them out West:
They were very catchy:

Mostly everyone I know calls it the Q.E.W. I've never actually heard any other variation. I'm afraid I know nothing of any of the other questions!
Old March 15th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #151
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Speaking of Ontario ads, Ontario tourism has been sponsoring the Flyers hockey games. There are Ontario fishing commercials during breaks during our local broadcasts. It's a little surprising to see; usually we see ads for places like Florida, the Outer Banks, the Bahamas, or other places continentally more well-known.
Old March 20th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #152
Jaybird

Quote:
Speaking of Ontario ads, Ontario tourism has been sponsoring the Flyers hockey games. There are Ontario fishing commercials during breaks during our local broadcasts. It's a little surprising to see; usually we see ads for places like Florida, the Outer Banks, the Bahamas, or other places continentally more well-known.
Wow, I never thought I would see that, especially at Philadelphia Flyers games. Usually you might see them at Detroit to Buffalo (or other cities within driving distance of Ontario like Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland, or Chicago). That would be surprising.
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:45 PM   #153
WLUGrad

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I guess with Michigan tourism doing the same here, Ontario thought it might be a useful venture?
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:55 AM   #154
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I should clarify that Ontario tourism has been buying commercial time during Flyers games. They aren't buying board space or ice space.

Jaybird liked this post
Old August 24th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #155
Ivan the Immigrant
Ex user

Likes (Received): 2531

One double whiskey for me please.

Can someone tell me what is it like to swim in lake Ontario? Is water too cold in the summer?
Ivan the Immigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 06:53 AM   #156
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Immigrant View Post
One double whiskey for me please.

Can someone tell me what is it like to swim in lake Ontario? Is water too cold in the summer?
From July to September, Lake Ontario is pretty nice. The water temperature is around 70ºF, which is 21ºC. On a sunny day in the summer, it takes a couple minutes to get used to, but then it feels really refreshing.

Ivan the Immigrant liked this post
Old May 17th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #157
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

It looks like the Ontario craft beer scene is finally reaching the United States! I have had Muskoka Brewery before, having picked up some packs of beer at the Duty Free Shop, but apparently it's now available in limited quantities down in my area. But those that have had Muskoka before it made it down here have been saying that the brewery has slipped a little since increasing distribution.
Old May 17th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #158
Taller, Better
Administrator

I'm not familiar with it, but craft brew places here in the city have been sprouting up like mushrooms after a rain. Those, and the pot shops too!
Old May 17th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #159
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I've heard about some new microbreweries in the Niagara Region popping up in the last couple of years. Almost every town has a microbrewery now: Fort Erie, Niagara Falls, NOTL, and Pelham, all have at least one. Niagara Falls has a few microbreweries.

What do you know of in Toronto? Steam Whistle is the big microbrewery up there, and Mill Street is another notable one, that has even had an American presence in the past couple of years, but I am unaware of newer places, and eventually would like to try some of them out.
Old August 25th, 2016, 08:03 AM   #160
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I just found out that Cayuga had a hockey arena dating back to 1922. It was sadly demolished in 2011 when a new arena was built down the street. It was built the same year as the Galt Arena Gardens, which is the oldest hockey arena in continuous use in the world, and I think the oldest hockey arena in Canada still in use. It's too bad it's gone!

You can see it in old Google Streetview here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9511...2!8i6656?hl=en