daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Completed Manchester Projects

Completed Manchester Projects Completed projects in the Greater Manchester area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #141
highriser

Likes (Received): 161

This would be a great addition to the Manchester skyline , but with BullShitConstrution on board , im not getting to excited by it .
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #142
skymann
Gtr Mcr,1st after Gtr Ldn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonopolis View Post
I was getting worried for a second there - couldn´t believe everyone seemed to love this so much. Glad to see others have reservations about this. Theres just something fundamentally wrong with the mix and choice of cladding.
I think it's the fact that the colour, concretey feel, and ludicrous cladding is making me think people will come out from the cathedral area, from Urbis and Triangle, Exchange Sq etc. to this 60s type abortion of a building and it'll spoil this side of Manchester. You can bet that people in B'hm and Liverpool will really hope Manchester gets this because it's so plainly the ugliest addition to the Manc skyline anyone could think up. All the previous incarnations including the Campus Tower were better - NONE were good enough for this area. I'd cope with a Hancock Tower (as per Boston) if we have to have a high rise. I'd rather have 80s glass that just reflects, than 60s crap that just blights.

I can't see much difference between this and that awful white tower block that sits in the middle of salford precinct. If they intend to build more of these dull, white, high boxes with silly cladding in Greengate, Manchester's gonna end up with another Salford precinct plonked directly opposite the cathedral. I can see why people who love 60s stuff and non-cities like Brazilia love this but it really is LAST (as in the cummiest design) to people who have little time for brutalism.
skymann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #143
cottonopolis

I have to agree that I would have preferred all of the other proposals for greengate to this. The podium on Canopus wasn´t right but the tower element beat this by liiiight years. This is basically what -150 meters? of identical stone slabs broken up by storm curtains on glass. The same conform pattern all the way. HORRID.. The sixties theme to this building is reiterated by the silly plasticy slabs on the podium. Another strange deformity about this misfit...
cottonopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #144
cottonopolis

I just have to add - If you took away the "Strom curtains" then would anyone actually like this?? Or would it expose the absolutely dull and unimaginative design? Just picture it..
So if you don´t like this attribute then that just makes it all the more worse..
cottonopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #145
mr_smith

This tower is one that really interests me, I think its great, the north tower is already in the vicinity (which I also love) and hopefully this area could develop its own character and avoid all the glass boxes that are being built everywhere else. Towers like this will stop the city dating when non stop glass becomes yesterdays news. The more variety the better.
mr_smith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #146
gd

yuk... what a turd of building! this must be the 'special something' that Salford council is looking for - Exactly the same as all the other sixties sh** that exists in Salford.

Is this the same building that Longford said would look allright in reality? after we got those initial black and white renders a few months.. or am i thinking of something else?
gd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #147
mikeboss
Mikeisking

I Don't think non-stop glass will date if u look New York appart from the 20s/30s buildings the ones that have lasted are the 60s/70s/80s straight glass, it still looks modern wheras u look at the 60s concrete blocks in this country most are aweful. I think concrete dates badly.
mikeboss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #148
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

Anyone know if an application was actually submitted or not? I can't find it on the Salford website, though the council may not have made it public yet.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #149
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

I suspect the worker drones in the planning office are scanning feverishly as we speak. Its probably a big app (a couple of hundred pages) so give the poor sods a chance.
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #150
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Hopefully that's the case (poor admin staff at the Salford planning bureaucracy) - but you never know with B.S. C.

a typical Local Planning Authority's office (no joke!)

my solution to the problem of bureaucracy... ignore it. It will decay eventually...

Last edited by Manchester Planner; December 11th, 2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #151
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdan View Post
I think Urban Vision are digitized a lot these days but would love to move to Emerson House (in Eccles for all those who didn't know) and do their job. All the pretty renders to stare at all day long.
I used to be able to lie in bed and look at Emerson House through my bedroom window when i lived at my mums.
Just thought i would share that with you all.
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #152
macc

Likes (Received): 63

In the MEN today:

An interesting note in the article says they are struggling to get enough parking spaces for Canopus. They've been trying to dig 6 floors down but have had to give up (too many hippo's in the way?). The remaining parking will go under the new urban park. Sounds good to me.
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #153
Architecty

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
In the MEN today:

An interesting note in the article says they are struggling to get enough parking spaces for Canopus. They've been trying to dig 6 floors down but have had to give up (too many hippo's in the way?). The remaining parking will go under the new urban park. Sounds good to me.
Oh yeah because they have been using the most advanced cofferdam and retaining wall technology known to man! Just because they are too inept to utilise methods that would make it possible doesn’t mean it isn’t; just digging isn’t trying! While they are at it, the car park under the park should be just as big (not just enough to reach their planning req), get a many as humanly possible under there.
Architecty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #154
macc

Likes (Received): 63

Twin towers set to appear over city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecty View Post
Oh yeah because they have been using the most advanced cofferdam and retaining wall technology known to man! Just because they are too inept to utilise methods that would make it possible doesn’t mean it isn’t; just digging isn’t trying! While they are at it, the car park under the park should be just as big (not just enough to reach their planning req), get a many as humanly possible under there.

Full article now online:

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ho...over_city.html

Jill Burdett

LANDMARK: Twin towersAFTER lengthy consultations detailed designs for these twin towers in Salford are set to land on planners' desks early in the New Year.

Developer the BSC Group's initial plans for a 60 storey skyscraper on the site at Greengate, next to the River Irwell, faced some opposition when they were first mooted back in 2005.

They have now been modified after more than a year of negotiations into a scheme that would bring two residential towers, one 31 storeys the other 46, as well as a five star hotel, new public square and urban park and commercial units earmarked for cafes, bars, restaurants and shops and a crèche.

Advertisement your story continues below

The lower tower would have a pool and spa complex on the roof, while there are plans for the city's first observation deck at the top of the 46-storey tower.

It's an important gateway site, not only geographically close to Manchester Cathedral but crucial in setting the tone and standard for the whole Greengate area - which is being developed to open up the boundaries between Manchester and Salford with new walkways linking the two cities.

BSC's ambition is already evident in Manchester where the company is just completing Issa Quay at Piccadilly Basin and they have also started work on Sarah Tower and Sarah Village.

Importance

BSC chief executive Basher Issa said: "The strategic importance of the Exchange Greengate site as a new urban quarter for the city region is phenomenal and we are very excited about the Canopus project.

"If approval is given we intend to be adding to the new high rise quarter that is developing around the River Irwell with a scheme that is both impressive in design and scale.

"As well as providing a range of apartments, typical of our luxurious approach to urban living, we will provide a new square and retail space, ideal for the essential shops and services this section of the city is crying out for.

"It's a project we feel very strongly about and one that we hope we will be able to realise in spectacular fashion in the near future."

Although, they are apparently having trouble fitting enough parking into the scheme and plans to dig down to provide six levels under the towers have apparently ground to a halt - with a compromise being suggested that parking is provided under the public park.

The scheme has been design by architects Arca and director John Lee said: "It has been the subject of extensive discussions with many interest groups and we feel we have arrived at a scheme which is striking whilst meeting the needs both of the client and of Salford City Council.

"By using innovative façade techniques and structural solutions we have been able to create something that is very different to other buildings on the Manchester skyline.

"We feel that bold decisions taken by Salford should finally see the area brought back to life."
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #155
SteChol

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
In the MEN today:

Dont bank on it, I have been parking on greengate for months and the ground has been cleared and dug since then. I think its just excuse to justify the pit sorry pond thats been there all this time.
At this rate, we can all go for a dip this coming spring!
SteChol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #156
dirtyred619
In The Ghetto

Likes (Received): 142

So its 46 storeys and 31 storeys now...if it s in the Evening News etc!
dirtyred619 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #157
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 659

Aye, thread title needs to change! 46 stories? should be about 150m?!
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #158
dirtyred619
In The Ghetto

Likes (Received): 142

Also note it mentions it will be on planners desks early in the new year, keeps moving back!

I do like this proposal but I do share most peoples concerns about BSC.
dirtyred619 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #159
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Saw the article in the free MEN today... pleased about the heights of the towers (46 stories = 140-150m and 31 = 100-110m) but not so pleased about the fact that they will only submit the application "early in the New Year" (whatever that means).

I do doubt that BSC will be able to pull this scheme off. The shambles at the Sarah Tower site - which involves a mere 22 storey tower - doesn't give me many assurances.

Interested in the idea of an observation deck at the top of the 46 storey tower. We'll see if that proposal ever comes to fruition. Would be very popular - they will probably turn it into a skybar to rival Hilton's at the Beetham Tower.
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #160
chompo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecty View Post
I agree, it is possible to go down 6 floors, but very expensive. The sandstone is very shallow, and would prove quite difficult to remove, although they could sell it as long as it wasn't contaminated.

a couple of piling rig augers were broken on a site not very far away from this one.
It would be easier to create another basement beneath the public space, and I agree, the more spaces the better........thats unless public transport improves significantly before these sites become off limits
chompo44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: