daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Completed Manchester Projects

Completed Manchester Projects Completed projects in the Greater Manchester area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #161
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

To their credit Manchester is quite shallow. Dont know the exact geology but you either hit somethinmg very hard or very soft after a certain point - I was only talking about this yesterday to somebody in regard to another tall building that is going to have to go up rather than down because of this particular problem.

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #162
Architecty

Likes (Received): 108

From casual observation it does seem to be more of a problem with the inundation from the river making it impossible to dig, and they have taken no measures what so ever to assist themselves with the process other than BSC’s patent pending double mud shuffle. Obviously you can also see that the stone is exposed at a high level nearby/along river banks, but there doesn’t seem to be an obvious protrusion into their site (and the river side is retained by a brick wall at the moment, so has been managed by the greater skilled in the past !)
Architecty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #163
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Like in the toothpaste ads i must stress "I'm not an engineer but......" even i know that to dig near a source of water will need some sort on consiladation or barrier - or where they hoping the retaining wall put up by cleverer and more foresightful Victorians would do the job?
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #164
Architecty

Likes (Received): 108

I am just praying that my feeling about Issa selling on his sites as a going concern comes true. When Issa Quay finally completes will be an interesting point and to my mind more crucial than when Canopus’ (seeing as him still seems to be calling it that) app goes in. They will either use it to display the companies “big time” (cough) property credentials and attract investment in, or use it to billboard all the other schemes and try and whip up interested parties in taken the other on.
Architecty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #165
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

God these guys really don't have a clue. They aren't having problems, one they are just lazy and two they aren't using the correct equipment. When Beetham and others went up. They created a proper metal pit to dig in.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #166
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
To their credit Manchester is quite shallow. Dont know the exact geology but you either hit somethinmg very hard or very soft after a certain point - I was only talking about this yesterday to somebody in regard to another tall building that is going to have to go up rather than down because of this particular problem.
I do believe that this was (one of) the main reasons why a subway/metro system was nixed in the olden days of yore. Another reason was the remnants of Roman workings all over the gaff, and the Victorians were very sympathetic to this type of thing...

Well probably anyroad...
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #167
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29641

Just rang Salford Planning office.

Application/plans still haven't arrived for scanning. There's a slim chance they could be available to view on-line by the end of this week, if not, it's early January next year.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #168
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

Finally some shots showing the development within the context of the Fielden Clegg masterplan for the Greengate area, taken from Architects' Arca's website.

Ive been saying this for a while but at present this is a proposal without any great context to slot into. Greengate is by and large an empty, barren wasteland. Hopefully these shots will show how

a. The basic podium / tower form has been dictated by the masterplan itself and
b. how well the proposal sits within its future context.

These new renders also clarify the dual-podium design. The "podium" is actually two interlocking L-shaped podiums. One that connects the two highrise towers and which addresses the riverbank and one of the side streets. The second podium addresses the new public green space and the viaduct / city facing part of the scheme. The square where the podiums meet forms a reinstated market square in its original position.

I can't begin to express how much I like this scheme. This really, really will be one for Salford and Manchester to be proud of and quite unlike anything proposed anywhere else at the moment.

Can't wait to see it come to fruition. I'm more excited by this than probably any other proposal right now.

[img]http://i14.************/29qb7ev.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i13.************/2s0o9vk.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i16.************/4h8d1jl.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i10.************/2vjtzdu.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i10.************/2jcwqxe.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i16.************/2zpp4qc.jpg[/img]
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #169
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
The new Greengate Development will be one of the first projects in the Salford Exchange Masterplan. As with other projects in the urban design plan, it will combine the tower form with a lower rise perimeter blocks.

Title : Greengate Development
Programme : 2004 - 2010
Type : Mixed use
Client : BSC Group
Contract Value : £75m

Old December 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #170
nerd

Likes (Received): 1849

What interests me from the model is the relationship of the Canopus towers to Highland House (which remember is so far the only skyscraper block actually built in the Salford side of the City Centre).

Certainly in the view from Exchange Square, Highland House will be a key neighbour, with the ovoid "portholes" on the one setting off the ovoid panels on the other. May it be that the form of the brise-soleil panels is an "homage" to LRW and the pioneer generation of Salford architects? Taking the theme further, the lower blocks have a strong flavour of Aldine House - which most consider LRW's best work in central Salford.

I realise this may have the effect of further winding up the philistines on this board, who wish to sweep away Salford's heritage of 60's buildings as fast as Salford CC seem to want to do the same to their Edwardian precursors.

But Salford's history is not rich in major architectural practices, so it makes good sense to celebrate the ones they have - even though at present their work is out of fashion.
nerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #171
GShutty

Likes (Received): 4485

BSC

It certainly looks like an exciting scheme and gets better with each render that is produced. I think the question mark still remains though whether BSC can successfully deliver this scheme as promised.

With regard to the 'mud-pit', I read a report yesterday that BSC's intention was to construct 6 floors of under-ground car-parking, however digging down they have hit granite and are now seeking permission to build their 435 spaces both under the towers and under the proposed public domain. Whether they will get permission for this remains questionable.
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #172
cottonopolis

Likes (Received): 0

Well now I´ve seen them in their context and still think they´re absolute tripe. I am so disheartened by thinking of what a little more vision and creativity could have given us....
cottonopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #173
cottonopolis

I so hope BCS live up to their bad rep and never get this built. Fingers crossed.
cottonopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #174
Farsight

Likes (Received): 679

And still nobody says why they don't like them.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #175
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 60

Because they look like a Paris suburb. They're 40 years out of date.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #176
majormystery
All hail to the ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
And still nobody says why they don't like them.
Please change the record.

I actually quite like these, but do see the point people make about the blank bit of wall. People have tried to explain why they don't like them the best they can, so fair enough.

I don't like brussel sprouts, but other people do. I can't for the life of me say why they taste mingin in my mouth to someone who likes the taste of them. But they still taste mingin to me. So accept it and move on.
majormystery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #177
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 60

Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #178
Farsight

Likes (Received): 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormystery View Post
Please change the record.

I actually quite like these, but do see the point people make about the blank bit of wall. People have tried to explain why they don't like them the best they can, so fair enough.

I don't like brussel sprouts, but other people do. I can't for the life of me say why they taste mingin in my mouth to someone who likes the taste of them. But they still taste mingin to me. So accept it and move on.
If people say "I don't like it" and move on, no problem. But what do we get? Bang bang bang the drum to try and make everybody think it looks like some council block when it doesn't. OK, you said please, so I'll give it a rest. But I'll be watching.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #179
majormystery
All hail to the ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
But I'll be watching.
I agree they don't look like council blocks.
Cheers big brother.
majormystery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #180
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell View Post
Ou est le habities dans le photo Isaac?
Cest magnifique nest pa?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: