daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Transit & Infrastructure

Old December 17th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #1
ggaleazz

Likes (Received): 0

Flaherty says infrastructure projects must happen quickly to boost economy

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...tjBbmRS6c5vsXg

Quote:
SASKATOON — Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty says he and his provincial and territorial counterparts agree infrastructure projects must happen quickly to boost the economy.

Flaherty, who was attending an important one-day summit Wednesday with his colleagues in Saskatoon, said they all agree shovels have to be in the ground quickly if projects are going to stimulate the economy and help create jobs.

And the provinces must also provide contributions.

"This is one country, after all, and I think Canadians expect all of us not to be partisan, to make sure that we pull together and create this kind of significant stimulus in the economy," Flaherty told reporters on his way into the meeting.

"I also hope to get advice from all of them about what else we should be doing and what else they're prepared to do, because 2009 is going to be a difficult year for the whole country."

Flaherty conceded the economic picture in Canada is getting worse month by month, although he insists it's still better than in the United States and other countries.

He said there's going to be significant unemployment next year, so there's a need for short-term as well as longer-term "nation-building" infrastructure projects.

The minister added he hasn't settled on a figure for stimulating the economy for next month's federal budget.

"We know there's lots of good projects out there that are ready to go," said Manitoba Finance Minister Greg Selinger. "We just have to float the money as quickly as possible."

Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan said while he's upset it has taken the federal government so long to recognize the need for a stimulus package, he's hoping for a co-operative meeting with the other provinces.

He said that over the last few days he's received encouraging phone calls from other finance ministers prepared to work with Ontario.

Earlier this week, the province issued a report warning that more than 580,000 jobs could be lost within five years if the Detroit Three automakers collapse. Ottawa has already promised a $3.3-billion rescue package for the industry.

"Ontario is 40 per cent of the Canadian economy," said Duncan. "All Canadians have a vested interest in Ontario's success."

But he agreed with pleas from other provinces that sectors such as forestry and livestock receive their fair share of bailout funds. Ontario also has interests in those areas, he pointed out.

The energy industry is also likely to be discussed at the meeting. Alberta sent a letter to Prime Minister Stephen Harper a few days ago demanding help for investment and job creation in the oil and gas sectors.

Environmental groups took out an ad in a Saskatoon newspaper Wednesday asking, "How will Canada's finance ministers spend your money?"

The ad features an unsigned cheque hovering over a polluting oilsands facility.
I would suggest to our finance minister that there are a number of infastructure projects ready or soon to be ready for 'shovels in the ground' in the GTA should the mood strike him to provide funding. I'm afraid, however that this is mere posturing and that the Feds will continue their habit of wanting to micro manage every aspect of these projects (including the demand that there be a PPP in place) before releasing funding.

Take a look at the Metrolinx quick wins projects, the BRT systems planned in the 905, Transit City (though not quite ready to roll as yet), etc. These projects could employ hundreds, even thousands of people and flow money back into our economy. Sigh I feel like we are pissing into the wind when talking about this government.

Sponsored Links

Old December 17th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #2
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 17

Flatulent Flaherty says lots of stuff.

This is the guy who in this quarter said Ontario would be the "last place" some one would want to invest in this country. What do you want to make a bet that he follows that mantra.

Strangely enough it seems lots of people had this economic situation understood before he caught on.

The man is nothing more that a dick.
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #3
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 20

Agreed, this is nothing more than hollow rhetoric.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #4
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 217

He said the same thing a month ago. I've posted a similar article in the Canadian forum last month. I won't be holding my breath. Why doesn't the TTC fix some of its escalators first?
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #5
ggaleazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
He said the same thing a month ago. I've posted a similar article in the Canadian forum last month. I won't be holding my breath. Why doesn't the TTC fix some of its escalators first?
The unfortunate truth is that escalators don't like winter conditions. All the snow and salt tracked in by riders gums up the insides of the escalators and puts them in a constant state of repair. It's not just the TTC though.

I remember the main escalator in Ryerson's Jorganson Hall was regularly out of commission during the winter months, to the point where I began avoiding that part of the campus all together. Also the escalator along the PATH between St. Andrew and Metro Hall next to Roy Thompson Hall has been out of service at least a half dozen times this season.
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Toronto2008

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggaleazz View Post
The unfortunate truth is that escalators don't like winter conditions. All the snow and salt tracked in by riders gums up the insides of the escalators and puts them in a constant state of repair. It's not just the TTC though.

I remember the main escalator in Ryerson's Jorganson Hall was regularly out of commission during the winter months, to the point where I began avoiding that part of the campus all together. Also the escalator along the PATH between St. Andrew and Metro Hall next to Roy Thompson Hall has been out of service at least a half dozen times this season.
same problem!

also, when Flaherty says infrastructure i get sad. Remember this? http://www.thestar.com/News/FederalB...article/307725

put it in the hands of someone more responsible, please
Toronto2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6213

Hollow talk. The Cons are great on promises but their track record on action in Ontario or Toronto is non existent. I'll believe it when I see it.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #8
ggaleazz

Granted they appear to have realized that Quebec is a dead end, and look like they will be adding up to 21 parliment seats in Ontario. We shall see.
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #9
Taller, Better
Administrator

What kind of simpletons would not have realized years ago that their chances of making breakthroughs in Ontario were infinitely greater than in Quebec? I suppose the kind of simpletons who arrived with a long standing hate-on for big bad ole' Ontario and The Centre of the Universe!
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Homer J. Simpson

^The same kind that sat as members of the Reform Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggaleazz View Post
Granted they appear to have realized that Quebec is a dead end, and look like they will be adding up to 21 parliment seats in Ontario. We shall see.
I agree with the Quebec thing and also think it would be nice if they decided to treat Ontario fairly.
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #11
Taller, Better
Administrator

They put all their eggs in one basket, and the approach did not work. Time will tell if they are foolish enough to keep banging their head against a brick wall. As pleasing as it may have been to take Ontario down a peg or two, one wonders if ignoring the province will come back to haunt them in the long run.
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #12
Toronto2008

if you think about it, its very simple

give the people what they want, and they repay you with their vote.

and since toronto got shit all from the Cons, we voted exactly that way in the GTA (with a few exceptions - thornhill i think).
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #13
Homer J. Simpson

If Ontario gets something reasonable from the Conservative though, many of us will not vote for them anyways.

I mean speaking from myself if they did give Ontario the proper representation (as they should do with everyone else) then I might not spit at Harper if given the chance but I'm not sure as I would shake his hand either.

When did doing what is right become an act worthy of reward?
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #14
Taller, Better
Administrator

I think they DEFINITELY discovered that doing what is wrong is not worthy of reward. It remains
to be see if they actually learned from their mistakes, however. I do not place a lot of hope in the
Conservatives, as they seem a particularly short-sighted group of people.

added later:
Further evidence that the worm is slowly turning. Link from the Globe and Mail:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../politics/home

[B]Harper to bend on House seats for Ontario, McGuinty says

Ottawa will revise legislation to give populous province an additional 21 MP[/B]s

KAREN HOWLETT

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

December 17, 2008 at 11:02 PM EST

TORONTO — Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty is no longer the “small man of Confederation,” according to the Harper government.

In fact, Prime Minister Stephen Harper has shown a new willingness to foster better relations with Mr. McGuinty by backing down on a controversial measure that would have shortchanged Ontario under a plan to add new seats to the House of Commons.

Mr. McGuinty said yesterday Mr. Harper has agreed to revise his proposed legislation, by giving Ontario additional seats proportional to the province's share of Canada's population.

“I spoke to Harper about this, and I think we fixed it,” Mr. McGuinty said at his year-end news conference.

The Globe and Mail

The Premier had complained the original proposal to change the formula for seat distribution would have left Ontario the most unrepresented province. The plan was to add 22 seats in the House to reflect population growth across Canada, bringing the total to 330. Ontario was to get 10 of the 22 seats and Alberta and British Columbia would get the balance.

Mr. McGuinty said Mr. Harper has now agreed to give Ontario its proportional share, which translates into 21 seats out of an unspecified number to be added. There are currently 106 seats in the province.

Kory Teneycke, a spokesman for Mr. Harper, declined to comment yesterday. “We're not at the stage of announcing anything at this time.”

The change will allow Ontario and Ottawa to bury the hatchet on an issue that created bitter tension between the Harper and McGuinty governments. The bickering took a nasty turn a year ago when then federal Conservative House Leader, Peter Van Loan, accused Mr. McGuinty of not living up to the province's traditional role as nation builder.

“He seems to prefer to become the small man of Confederation, focusing only on taking partisan shots while not concerned about the strength of Canada as a whole,” Mr. Van Loan told The Canadian Press in November, 2007.

Mr. McGuinty said Mr. Harper had a change of heart after the two met privately last Friday to discuss a Canadian bailout package for the ailing auto sector. During the one-hour meeting in Mr. Harper's Ottawa office, Mr. McGuinty also raised the seat legislation.

He said Mr. Harper reiterated his traditional argument that Ontario would be better off than it is now because it would get 10 new seats. “I said, ‘That's not the point. The point is, we should be working toward fairness and over time we would have continued to fall behind.'”

The legislation was written in such a way that Quebec's ratio of voters to MPs became the benchmark. But any provinces larger than Quebec – Ontario is the only one – would not enjoy the full benefits. Ontario's share of the national population will hit 40.4 per cent in 2021, while its share of seats in the Commons will be 35.6 per cent, an under-representation of 4.8 per cent, according to the government's projections.

Last edited by Taller, Better; December 18th, 2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #15
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 32

They will build a maglev line from Peterborough to Barrie to demonstrate how they are committed to infrastructure, and how Canada is at the forefront of technology.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #16
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Further evidence that the worm is slowly turning.

Harper to bend on House seats for Ontario, McGuinty says
Interesting how they suddenly realize the error in their ways after a rather successful election in Ontario.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #17
Taller, Better
Administrator

More like a rather unsuccessful election in Quebec. Make no mistake about it, there is no love from the Harper government and Ontario- he has constantly striven to prove to the good folks back home that he will take a majority government in Canada by giving the finger to Ontario, and it seems he has realized this is not possible.
Poor harpy.

My guess is that the Liberals will organize, and organize quickly (now that they lost 166 pounds of dead weight)
and the Cons will lose the next election.
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #18
Toronto2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
the Cons will lose the next election.
yup! iggy actually LOOKS like a prime minister

plus hes really educated. Been to the top schools around the world

hey if the Americans get smart govt, of course Canada has to follow suit LOL
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #19
vid

Likes (Received): 892

"Infrastructure projects must happen quickly to boost the economy!"
"Mr. Flaherty is a shithead!"
"Conservatives are poopy heads!"
"WAAAH Toronto is left out WAAAH!!"
"Conservatives are opportunistic pricks!"

Did anyone read the fucking article?
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #20
Mollywood

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson View Post
If Ontario gets something reasonable from the Conservative though, many of us will not vote for them anyways.

I mean speaking from myself if they did give Ontario the proper representation (as they should do with everyone else) then I might not spit at Harper if given the chance but I'm not sure as I would shake his hand either.

When did doing what is right become an act worthy of reward?
Well, I'm sorry to hear that you wouldn't spit at Harper, because I'd really enjoy seeing that, a great big gobber, right on Harper's face. Does that make me a bad person? lol Hey, I could have said a bullet but I believe in being kind to animals, even if they are RATS!
Mollywood no está en línea   Reply With Quote