232K views 686 replies 584 participants last post by  christos-greece 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Jin Mao Tower
Shanghai, China

HEIGHT: 421 meters/1,380 feet
FLOORS: 88
COMPLETION: 1998
ARCHITECT: Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill LLP

The Jin Mao Building is situated at the mouth of the Yan'an Dong Lu Tunnel, in Pudong, adjacent to Century Avenue, which is the core of Lujiazui, Pudong, a finance and trade center. To the east is a gorgeous view of the prosperous New Area of Pudong. To the west is the beautiful Huang Pu River; and the southern view encompasses the Zhangyang Road business and trade zone. The structure is adjacent to the 100,000 sqm Central Greens, just north of the building. The surrounding road network is well developed, enabling smooth traffic flow. One may take the tunnel bus or the subway line to reach the Jin Mao Building. It takes only two minutes to get to the downtown area in Puxi using the tunnel.

A supertall structure exemplifying traditional Chinese style, Jin Mao Building is the symbolic architecture of Shanghai's entry into 21st century. Being China's tallest and the world's third tallest, Jin Mao Building is ranked after Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Sears Tower in Chicago, US. Designed by the Chicago Office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and completed in August 1998, Jin Mao Building covers 2.36 million sqm. It is 420.5 meters in height, reaching 88 levels, among which 3 are basements, covering 58,000 sqm, one for catering, and the other two for basement garage.

The Jin Mao Building is high-tech, high-rise office building combining offices, upscale stores and a hotel. Utilizing spacious and bright areas, levels 3 through 50 can accommodate up to 10,000 people. The 51st and 52nd levels are for mechanical and electrical equipment. Levels 53 to 87 are occupied by the Grand Hyatt - the world's tallest super 5-Star hotel. Levels 56 through 87 contain a spectacular 27-meter wide atrium, 142 meters tall. The atrium is surrounded by 555 guest rooms of various sizes and styles, and numerous Chinese and Western-style restaurants. The 86th level is an exclusive club for entrepreneurs. The 87th level is a restaurant with open-air seating. With a height of 341 meters, the 88th level is the highest sightseeing level in China, and can accommodate more than 1000 tourists. It takes only 45 seconds for two super-speed elevators to take tourists to the sightseeing level from the 1st level basement. The speed of each elevator is 9.1m per second. Tourists on the sightseeing level will have a bird's-eye view of Shanghai's new look. The Jin Mao Building has 79 lifts, among which 18 are escalators that are able to carry guests to any level rapidly, safely and comfortably. The annex building is 6 stories tall. One floor contains a theatre and exhibition hall, one contains a banquet area and the other three contain retail malls and recreation centers. The annex is constructed in the form of a square, protected by glass walls. It is equipped with the latest office building technology, including advanced water pumps, heating equipment, ventilation and fire fighting facilities, as well as the most up-to-date security and automatic monitoring systems.

The Jin Mao Building has established itself as the new pinnacle in the international supertall construction domain. Its outstanding design and predominant location make it a prime landmark in Shanghai.

See less See more
#253 ·
3/10 I dont like this building, IMO its just tall the design is really horrible.

#254 ·
7/10

Very interesting architecture; it seems familiar and yet innovative at the same time. The top is its most remarkable aspect where there is an intersting and pleasing interplay of shapes and angles. My biggest criticism of the design is that the motion of the setbacks cause the building to look truncated somewhat which belies its massive height.

#259 ·
9/10-I rate !

#266 ·
Gets points for size, but loses points for its inelegant crown - which spoils the effect. Could have been a 9 or 9.5, but it only gets a....

7/10

#271 ·
I did not like Jin Mao in photo, but I loved it when I saw it in reality and I went up to the top in October 2005!
:eek2::eek2:
Amazing!!
10/10
:yes:

#273 ·
9.5/10 The Jin Mao tower is an outstanding building. I love the shape/shapes of this building and the building looks beautiful at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.