daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Old March 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Obelixx

Likes (Received): 22

Dead and incomplete motorways

Which dead and incomplete motorways do you know?
I know, there are some dead and incomplete motorways in Poland, whose construction started either before World War II as the areas belonged still to Germany or in the communist area, where a motorway from the Polish East to the Polish West boarder should be build under the name "Olympijka", whose completion was planned in 1980 for the Olympic Games in Moscow, but remained incomplete.
Obelixx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #2
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 2808

In The Netherlands, the A4 is very notorious. Plans to make this motorway (it is even constructed partially!) date back from the early fifties, but now 50 years later, there is still no complete A4. But we having huge traffic jams on the adjacent A13 as a benefit
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #3
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 71

theres a very weired highway north of chicago.
It has only two entrys, one at the beginning, one at the end....
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #4
kokpit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

There are several such in Czechia (Praha-Brno, Brno-Svitavy, Cheb-Liberec), started in 1938/39 and abandoned during war, construction of that from Prague to Brno continued in 50's but was canceled after few years. So we have many bridges left which are slowly decaying.

for example this one
30's

in 60's
Today
kokpit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #5
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777 View Post
theres a very weired highway north of chicago.
It has only two entrys, one at the beginning, one at the end....
Where is that exactly? In Illinois or Wisconsin?
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #6
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 71

I think its already in wisconsin....

but its south of milwaukee
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #7
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Likes (Received): 0

In Seattle we have a stub for the R.H.Thomson freeway/expressway:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=19...03369&t=k&om=1
UrbanBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #8
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 877

Here are a few that I know of:

In Baltimore, Interstate 70 was supposed to continue into the city limits, go to downtown, and end at I-95. This never happened; the Interstate pretty much ends at the Beltway, with a little extension heading towards the city limits. Part of the Interstate in the city was buit, though, between Greene Street and Pulaski Street. It is now part of US Route 40.

From above, you can see that the eastern terminus of I-70 where it is near the city limits was not supposed to be the terminus.

Buffalo originally planned on building an outer beltway. This naver happened. Mile Strip Road, near Hamburg, has a short stretch of Interstate-type expressway, which would've been part of that beltway. The interchange with US Route 219 is the section of Mile Strip Road that is expressway.

Interstate 990 north of Buffalo was supposed to go all the way to Lockport. It never did. It ends at Millersport Highway. The continuation of the Interstate is visible as it heads eastbound; the start of the overpass is visible.

Last edited by xzmattzx; March 12th, 2007 at 09:26 PM.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #9
Xusein

Likes (Received): 2336

Hartford's proposed network in the 1960s

Hartford's highway network as of 2007 (new highways are doubtful)

I'll get in more detail later when I get to a computer with Google Earth, so I can show the details of the highways that were construction and then were cancelled.

And there's a lot of them.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That Hartford network looks a bit overdone to me. Cities of that size in Europe may be happy with 3 or 4 Expressways.
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #11
Moveax

Basically the motorway is no good for going anywhere further south than the cbd. I can't believe they still want to do tidal flow even though they found it to be unsafe. Idiots in their own report they came to the conclusion the only way to provide the capacity was by building the second tunnel.
Moveax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #12
Starscraper
Ouch

Likes (Received): 10

The M23 was supposed to continue much further into London than it does now, however the locals were opposed to it and it was stopped. The main motorway continues for about 0.5 miles after the junction that connects with the A23.

Starscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #13
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 877

Delaware Route 141 was supposed to be an expressway bypass around the western part of Wilmington, DE. The freeway would've connected I-95 to US Route 202, provideding a faster and less-congested route for people coming north from Maryland or Newark on I-95 and heading towards the West Chester area (and vice versa). The expressway was only built to Delaware Route 2, and then just became a 4-lane surface road. There are other sections of expressway closer to Route 202 to indicate the proposed expressway. At the Route 2 interchange, a connector & distributor road is incomplete and abandoned, showing that the expressway would've continued.

The expressway will finally be extended a little bit, and trees and businesses have been cleared out so that the expressway can be continued to Delaware Route 34.

US Route 219 was supposed to be an expressway connecting Buffalo, NY, to State Route 17 (now I-86). The expressway was only completed to Springville, NY, and it becomes a 2- or 3-lane surface road from Springville south. Ridges of dirt at the terminus of the expressway show where the expressway would've continued over State Route 36.

This expressway is also being extended after decades of delay. The new expressway portion will continue from Springville to Ashford.

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #14
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 5032

A Bangkok highway project won by Hong Kong's Hopewell group went bust in the 90s. Only parts of the bridges for the highway were built when it was abandoned (I believe it was a highway and not a railway). I don't believe anything has changed today but perhaps some Thai forumers can update us on that.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #15
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
A Bangkok highway project won by Hong Kong's Hopewell group went bust in the 90s. Only parts of the bridges for the highway were built when it was abandoned (I believe it was a highway and not a railway). I don't believe anything has changed today but perhaps some Thai forumers can update us on that.
Do you mean the stretch in de the northern part of the city to the old airport? That was supposed to be an elevated railway and not a highway.
Elmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #16
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

The first picture is of Highway 26 just east of Gresham, Oregon. There was supposed to be a highway that passed under the little extended curve you see and connect back up with I-205. It never happened. The only evidence is the earthworks and R.O.W. on Highway 26.

The second picture is of Highway 167 in Puyallup, Washington. It was initially supposed to connect to I-5 near Tacoma. We ran out of money. Only now are we proposing to finish this highway due to increased problems with freight mobility from the Port of Tacoma.

The third and fourth pictures is of Highway 509 near Sea-Tac International Airport. The third is a larger view of where the freeway would connect. Basically, it'll connect to I-5 just south of the airport. The fourth is a close up of the current terminus of 509. This is another project being proposed for completion.

P.S. I love Google Earth!
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #17
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Do you mean the stretch in de the northern part of the city to the old airport? That was supposed to be an elevated railway and not a highway.
Actually, it was supposed to be a combo

Source
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #18
busdriver

San Francisco is full of freeways which abruptly ends. This is why:

Some concept drawings of what would've been.

What the city map might've looked like had all been built. It would've become what downtown Los Angeles is today - a sea of freeways and cars.

busdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #19
caco
Crucismogiensis

Likes (Received): 613

Netherlands - A4 - near Vlaadinger, Schiedam and Delft:

caco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #20
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah that situation is nuts, actually, the only thing that's missing is the pavement itself, there already lies a dike since the 60's where that road was supposed to lie on.

As a result, there is only one motorway connecting the 3 most important cities in The Netherlands. This road is extremely overcrowded, and has traffic jams during most of the day. This A13 carries over 160.000 vehicles a day on 2x3 lanes, while 120.000 is enough to widen to 2x4, so imagine how busy that road is. (actually, in Portugal they widen a road 2x4 by 52.000!)