daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #5841

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
I really can’t see why children should have such concessions at the expense of workers.
Because they don't have jobs? Also helps fill up the system off peak in the holidays.
3848827 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #5842
Andym

Likes (Received): 305

Tyne and Wear Metro

They already have appropriate concessionary fares-I’m obviously not suggesting they shouldn’t have. I’m questioning why these need making even cheaper .The system has to move to being more financially self sufficient so it can generate income to expand and improve or you are stuck in the same cycle as previously. The key to this is attracting more commuters from the roads and this fare structure is not doing that.

Last edited by Andym; November 11th, 2017 at 01:52 AM.
Andym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #5843
Delaval

Likes (Received): 71

Andy, either the Chronicle has misunderstood or I am confused.

The Child single is currently 80p and is proposed to be frozen in 2018. The Child DaySaver is £1.20 and proposed to increase by 10p to £1.30. So there are currently and will continue to be cheaper children's fares than these new £1 single/£2 all day fares for under 19s (not under 18s as the Chronicle reports).

So what Chronicle is reporting as children's fares and "good news for families" are actually, if I'm interpreting it correctly, for young people (not children) aged 16 to 18 year old. To be fair to the Chronicle, Nexus describe them as Under 19 fares in their proposal. There is a need for this, as currently 16 to 18 year olds only have discounts on season passes and don't have any discount on single and day fares. That this age group has a discount is reflective of the fact that they tend to be in education or training.

Andym liked this post
Delaval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #5844
Delaval

Here is the Nexus press release

https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/m...d-18-and-under
Metro to introduce new £1 flat fare for young people aged 18 and under
9 November 2017

Young people aged 18 and under will pay only £1 for single trips on the Tyne and Wear Metro following the proposed introduction of a new Pop Pay As You
Go smartcard - Pop blue.

Nexus, the public body which owns and manages Metro, is proposing to launch the Pop blue card from Tuesday January 2 to allow people aged 18 and under to pay £1 for a single trip.

And to make travelling by Metro even more affordable young people using a Pop blue card will only ever pay for a maximum of two Metro trips on any single day. A £2 daily price cap will apply to Metro travel and no further charge will be applied for a third, fourth, or even fifth trip.

The Pop blue smartcard can also be used to pay for local bus travel, buying the applicable young person’s fare set by the bus company. The daily price cap will not apply to bus travel.

Pop blue is a major step forward for young people travelling on Metro and is a direct response to feedback from schools, colleges, and from young people themselves.

Pop blue will be available online from www.nexus.org.uk and from Nexus Travel Shops from January 2.

Managing Director of Nexus, Tobyn Hughes, said: “The Combined Authority challenged us to improve the offer for young people, and so we are now seeking their agreement to introduce Pop blue, which will make it much easier and more affordable for young people aged 18 and under to travel on the Metro.

“It’s a really simple scheme. Young people can top up their Pop blue card online or at a ticket machine, and as they travel on Metro they will be charged £1 for a single trip and a maximum of £2 for the whole day. This is on top of our existing range of fares for children, young people and students which are still available.

“Metro is a publicly owned system that does not make a profit, so we are proposing to re-invest the extra income we expect to earn from this year’s fare review in a cheaper travel offer for young people.”
He added: “If our proposals are approved, Metro will continue to offer affordable travel around the area in 2018.

“Although we plan a modest general fares increase in line with normal practice, anyone who switches to adult Pop Pay As You Go will make bigger savings than ever before compared to paying for paper tickets, and we have kept price increases for season ticket holders to a minimum. We are also proposing to keep the price of the annual Gold Card at £12 for the year.”

The new offer for young people and the proposed Metro fares package for 2018 are to be considered by senior councillors on the Transport North East (Tyne and Wear) Sub-Committee of the North East Combined Authority on Thursday 16 November.

Adult Metro customers who use Pop Pay As You Go to travel on Metro will get bigger discounts in 2018.

The Pay As You Go discounts for adults will rise, including a 30p saving on single journeys and a 40p saving on the cost of DaySaver tickets with a Pop Pay As You Go card.

Pop Pay As You Go will remain the cheapest way to pay for single and daily Metro travel in 2018, with prices frozen for the second year in a row.

The Metro Gold Card, the product which allows older and disabled people off-peak Metro travel for one off yearly payment, will remain £12, while the removal of the off-peak restriction for July and August is to be made a permanent feature of the product.
Old November 11th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #5845
The Mole

Likes (Received): 30

I work in the NHS i have not had a proper pay rise in the whole time i have done that job 7 years of 1% every year. The annual metro pass that i get each year has gone up more than 1% which i would not mind if the service was improving but it is getting worse.

Take last Wednesday for example. Going to work there had been a breakdown and while i was not late when the first metro pulled up to Benton after the breakdown was removed it was crammed. Not only did i have no chance of a seat but i didn't even get what i would call an acceptable amount of personal space for my money. The train also crammed and had the heat blasting it was very uncomfortable.

Coming back home it took me 50 minutes to get from Monument to Benton and again the same story not an acceptable amount of personal space for my money. The excuse this time the tracks are too slippy. Looking on twitter while this was going on they had the cheek to post a picture of the machine that supposedly gives the tracks better traction.

I accept things happen but this is the rule rather than the exception with the metro and to ask passengers for such a large increase i feel is galling and an insult.

All this is not taking into the 5 weeks over the summer where myself and other passengers had to take a bus in place of the metro and i got 0% reimbursement for that inconvenience and vastly increased time it added to my journey.
The Mole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #5846
ne14ne1

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
I work in the NHS i have not had a proper pay rise in the whole time i have done that job 7 years of 1% every year. The annual metro pass that i get each year has gone up more than 1% which i would not mind if the service was improving but it is getting worse.

Take last Wednesday for example. Going to work there had been a breakdown and while i was not late when the first metro pulled up to Benton after the breakdown was removed it was crammed. Not only did i have no chance of a seat but i didn't even get what i would call an acceptable amount of personal space for my money. The train also crammed and had the heat blasting it was very uncomfortable.

Coming back home it took me 50 minutes to get from Monument to Benton and again the same story not an acceptable amount of personal space for my money. The excuse this time the tracks are too slippy. Looking on twitter while this was going on they had the cheek to post a picture of the machine that supposedly gives the tracks better traction.

I accept things happen but this is the rule rather than the exception with the metro and to ask passengers for such a large increase i feel is galling and an insult.

All this is not taking into the 5 weeks over the summer where myself and other passengers had to take a bus in place of the metro and i got 0% reimbursement for that inconvenience and vastly increased time it added to my journey.
Completely agree its frustrating and not ideal, but to be fair to Metro those issues aren't really that unique to Metro. They are general issues many rail travellers face.
Train fares usually rise year after year, much to everyones annoyance.
Slippery rails are natural this time of year every year, and Metro were probably trying to show customers that they are trying to do something to help by posting a pic of their railhead cleaning train out in action.
Many trains up & down the country are overcrowded and they usually say you are paying to travel, not necesarily to get a seat, and unfortunately that travel is sometimes on replacement buses if vital works are going on or when something goes wrong.
Hopefully when Metro eventually gets its frail elderly fleet replaced services and capacity will improve. (As it sounds like the new trains won't be much/(any?) longer, then fingers crossed for more London Underground style linear seating, so theres more room for standing/personal space).

Phil100 liked this post
ne14ne1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #5847
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3993

Pressure mounts to provide the £362million needed for new fleet of Metro trains for Tyne and Wear

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...eeded-13908253
Pressure mounts to provide the £362million needed for new fleet of Metro trains for Tyne and Wear
By Kathryn Riddell 16 November 2017

Petition by the Tyne and Wear Public Transport Users Group to ask the Government for a grant to buy new Metro trains (Image: Website)

Mounting pressure is being put on the Government to find the £362million needed to fund new Metro trains for the region.

The Tyne and Wear Public Transport Users Group are calling for the direct grant to finance new trains to replace the ageing current fleet. Just a week before the new budget is revealed by Chancellor Philip Hammond, the group has collected more than 500 signatures on the petition site 38 Degrees.

The group is concerned that the Department for Transport (DfT) could force Nexus to pay for the new trains via a Public Finance Initiative (PFI) loan. This would see a company or consortium pay for the work up front and require councils to pay them back with interest over several years.

Nexus, who operate the Metro, estimate it will cost £362m to replace the fleet of trains and upgrade the system. Metro has been plagued with issues in recent years, leading to many customer complaints.

Vicki Gilbert, chair of the TW Public Transport Users Group, said: “Our Metros are breaking down on a regular basis, because they are nearly 40 years old, although many think they are new trains. They were superficially refurbished but at present any replacement spare part needs to be specially handmade. She branded a PFI deal as “like a Wonga loan” which would “mean more cuts in our other public services to repay the interest and loan back and we the public will not own the trains”. Vicki added: “Whatever way you look at it, we have a rail service that is not on track for the passengers who rely upon it and that is due to current Government policy.”

Read more and see video @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...eeded-13908253

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #5848
Steve Ellwood

Cullercoats Metro Station

17/01158/CLPROP | Repairing virtious enamel panelling to new nexus corporate colours as well as localised repairs to damaged or poorly performing elements | Cullercoats Metro Station Station Road Cullercoats Tyne And Wear
Reference 17/01158/CLPROP
Alternative Reference PP-06282285
Application Received Wed 02 Aug 2017
Application Validated Thu 16 Nov 2017
Address Cullercoats Metro Station Station Road Cullercoats Tyne And Wear
Proposal Repairing virtious enamel panelling to new nexus corporate colours as well as localised repairs to damaged or poorly performing elements
Status Awaiting decision
https://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesi...=OU2GK7BHGPQ00

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 20th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #5849
Steve Ellwood

Transport Secretary ignores letter from North East MPs about the Tyne and Wear Metro

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...north-13923128
Transport Secretary ignores letter from North East MPs about the Tyne and Wear Metro
By Jonathan Walker 20 November 2017

A Metro train arrives at South Gosforth Station (Image: Newcastle Chronicle)

Ministers have ignored a letter from 10 North East MPs urging the Government to press ahead with new trains for the Tyne and Wear metro.

Gateshead MP Ian Mearns said he was shocked that a letter sent four months ago had still not received a reply.

The Department for Transport has said it supports plans to provide 84 new trains to replace the existing 40-year-old Metro fleet. But it is still in talks with transport body Nexus over how to fund the plan. And it has failed to respond to a letter sent to the Transport Secretary by 10 MPs on July 17 making the case for new trains.

Usually, a Minister would be expected to reply to such a letter even if it is just to say that they will have to wait for a decision to be made. The MPs wrote again on September 12. Mr Mearns raised the lack of response in the House of Commons on October 19. On that occasion, Transport Minister Paul Maynard said: “I am always disappointed when I hear that we do not achieve what we should in our correspondence. I am sorry that the honourable gentleman has not had an acknowledgement; we will draft one immediately today.” However, no response or acknowledgement was sent.

Mr Mearns raised the letter again in a debate on November 6. And he highlighted it again on November 16, telling Conservative Minister Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons: “On a personal note, tomorrow is 17 November, which marks the four-month anniversary of the Tyne and Wear MPs’ letter to the Secretary of State for Transport.” He added: “This is beyond the pale - four months is well beyond Cabinet Office recommendations for ministerial replies to MPs’ letters.” She told him: “If he wants to write to me, I will certainly take up his point with the Department.”

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...north-13923128

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:06 PM   #5850
Delaval

The Chancellor has announced the Government will fund the replacement fleet at a cost of £337m.

thenorthumbrian, Bylina, btatt liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:08 PM   #5851
thenorthumbrian
The Northumbrian

Likes (Received): 325

Tyne and Wear Metro to get £330 million for new rolling stock as announced in the budget.
thenorthumbrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:12 PM   #5852
thenorthumbrian
The Northumbrian

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaval View Post
The Chancellor has announced the Government will fund the replacement fleet at a cost of £337m.
Good news, and certainly needed.
thenorthumbrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:26 PM   #5853
elliott

Likes (Received): 189

Great news.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:49 PM   #5854
Steve Ellwood

Treasury Twitter Account

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:58 PM   #5855
Delaval

Funding will be from the Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund.

Tyne & Wear Metro – The government will invest £337 million from the NPIF to replace the Tyne & Wear Metro’s nearly 40-year-old rolling stock with modern energy-efficient trains. The new fleet will cut running costs while boosting performance and reliability for the 38 million passengers that use the system annually.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 04:57 PM   #5856
Steve Ellwood

Funding cannot come quick enough - these Service Announcements coiurtyesy of the Nexus web site @ https://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/updates

Updated at 14:15, Wednesday, 22 November 2017
A train has been withdrawn from service at Pelaw. Due to this we have a gap in the service of up to 15 mins to trains running between Pelaw and South Hylton. Please leave extra time for your journey if you're travelling in the area.

Updated at 14:50, Wednesday, 22 November 2017
There are no trains running between Regent Centre and Airport in both directions until further notice . This is due to signalling problems.

Stagecoach are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. Bus services X78 & X47 operate between Eldon Square Bus Station and Airport

Bus services 6 & 7 operate between Airport and Regent Centre.

We will update you as soon as we have more information.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:49 PM   #5857
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 2432

New metro fleet to arrive "late 2021"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaval View Post
Arriving "late 2021" - stated by Tobyn Hughes, Managing Director for Transport Operations in interview on BBC Radio Newcastle 22/11/17 just after 1600

KEN
Ken O'Heed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 07:06 PM   #5858
Phil100
Phil100

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post

Bus services 6 & 7 operate between Airport and Regent Centre.
Neither the 6 or the 7 go to Regent Centre or the Airport!
Phil100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 07:41 PM   #5859
Steve Ellwood

Hosted on https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-ellwood/

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

elliott liked this post
Old November 24th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #5860
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Arriving "late 2021" - stated by Tobyn Hughes, Managing Director for Transport Operations in interview on BBC Radio Newcastle 22/11/17 just after 1600

KEN
As the Metro is a self contained system with its own voltage, it's not as easy as Northern Rail scrapping its Pacers and using newer trains from elsewhere. The new trains have to be designed, commissioned and tested before being introduced. Still it's good news and makes the investment in stations and track more worthwhile.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
light rail, light railways, london tube, london underground, metro, metro systems, newcastle, newcastle transport, paris metro, rail, railways, the tube, trains, transport, tube, tyne & wear metro, underground