search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #41
Brian72

Likes (Received): 948

So many here grandstand on 'code' and regulations for this or that but soon as it is something they don't agree with, like parking requirements, then the developer knows best. Parking and cars are issues, they are the only real options. Uber drivers got to live somewhere too...

The reason for those parking requirements is because they are needed. When there isn't enough, cars end up where they shouldn't be..or places look crowded.

Drive through old NE in St Pete, there you can see where older homes were built without the current parking requirements today. The average person has one car but many have more than one vehicle per person. Families often have 2 - 3 cars on average.

You could look at NE and say, all those folks could walk or ride their bikes...but that isn't what you see. Any older area where parking wasn't planned clearly shows how the car needs to be considered. It is a necessity, not everyone here is going to a university and living in a dorm or family supported nearby accommodation...

Tallaman87 liked this post
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #42
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 92

Brian, you need to stop. You are arguing nonsense. What is happening now, they are Building 6 floors of parking then 5 of condos...

IF parking does not exist then people will find alternative ways to get there and leave there, Meaning, alternative trans. 2 spots per XXXX code is Not needed. If the developer is wrong, then no units will sell. Market!!!!

Uber has worked for me. Not 1 problem. It is about $5-6 to go anywhere in S. Tampa.

FORT BROOKE GARAGE SUCKS.

Last edited by cwat212; April 20th, 2017 at 05:32 PM.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #43
Brian72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat212 View Post
Brian, you need to stop. You are arguing nonsense. What is happening now, they are Building 6 floors of parking then 5 of condos...

IF parking does not exist then people will find alternative ways to get there and leave there, Meaning, alternative trans. 2 spots per XXXX code is Not needed. If the developer is wrong, then no units will sell. Market!!!!

Uber has worked for me. Not 1 problem. It is about $5-6 to go anywhere in S. Tampa.

FORT BROOKE GARAGE SUCKS.
People own cars because it is practical and for the most part necessary. Some here are in less of a position of need, perhaps they are students and do not have the needs of a family or a life that involves more than just navigating the urban landscape to school and local establishments.

Uber is a great example of travel but once you ad children and pets into the mix, it isn't as practical. It also isn't quite as efficient and reliable if you are on a tight schedule. I really like Uber myself and there is a good use for it but it is not for everyone.

As much as I support developers rights, I also support our codes and regulations. If an owner/developer goes through a process and obtains a variance from a code requirement and it is approved, I am generally ok with that too.
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #44
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
People own cars because it is practical and for the most part necessary. Some here are in less of a position of need, perhaps they are students and do not have the needs of a family or a life that involves more than just navigating the urban landscape to school and local establishments.

Uber is a great example of travel but once you ad children and pets into the mix, it isn't as practical. It also isn't quite as efficient and reliable if you are on a tight schedule. I really like Uber myself and there is a good use for it but it is not for everyone.

As much as I support developers rights, I also support our codes and regulations. If an owner/developer goes through a process and obtains a variance from a code requirement and it is approved, I am generally ok with that too.
So next you will be in support for mandating that everyone adopt a lifestyle that depends on a car. Does that sound familiar? I can't tell if you are that conflicted or just trying to be a contrarian. This is a perfect example where the market can work out an issue on it's own and now you want more government?

I think this project is great and the pre-leasing seems to back it up. The city would be foolish not to change this ordinance or ignore it like they do for so many others.

saerdna99 liked this post
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 05:08 PM   #45
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3889

Mercury has put in a Special Use request to turn the lot into a paved parking lot with attendant as an interim use.
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:21 PM   #46
mike1115

Likes (Received): 93

Ten year "interim" use parking lot?

Jasonhouse liked this post
mike1115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 05:06 PM   #47
Brian72

There is a need for parking and why not...they did the same thing on Clearwater Beach Sand Pearl lot....why not get some cash and serve a need while waiting on construction...
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:53 PM   #48
NaqoyqatZ

I don't see what the difference is at this point. It might as well be a parking lot, but I would love to see them pressured into developing it into something useful or selling it to someone that will.

Jasonhouse liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2017, 08:23 PM   #49
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^Local government should stop providing subsidized tax rates to vacant land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
There is a need for parking
There is? Every time I'm downtown, I see acres and acres of parking lots sitting empty throughout downtown.

Downtown Tampa does not have a supply problem, it has an access problem.

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

NaqoyqatZ liked this post
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 10:10 PM   #50
NaqoyqatZ

I wonder what it would cost to make one large parking structure near the interstate with and expanded Downtowner HQd in it along with maybe a shuttle system. I know there was talk years back about the inter-modal hub, but that got nixed along with the high speed rail dream. Now it's going to be at the current site of DoubleTree?
Old June 23rd, 2017, 10:22 PM   #51
Brian72

There is always a need for parking in downtown, this particular location in Channelside and at times, it can be difficult. There will be more demand as development is completed.

Anyways, I get the butt hurt over not tall enough and not 'active' enough..
Old July 28th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #52
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3889

Mercury Advisors updated their website:

Quote:
Currently the project is undergoing final revisions and the goal is to start pre-sales on this residential condominium complex in the third/fourth quarter of 2017.

Tampa on the move. liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #53
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 87

I like the height on this for Channelside. If sales are good maybe something vertical by 1st quarter 2018??
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #54
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 87

Condos are back in demand. Virage on Bayshore is
over 50% pre sales.
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #55
mike1115

Likes (Received): 93

I think there is a huge difference though between Bayshore and Channelside. Bayshore has long been attributed with wealth; Channelside is more of millennials looking for an urban landscape. Not saying I don't think this can and would be successful, but the two are not an equal comparison.
mike1115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #56
Brian72

I like where the market is now, the rental market is still really strong and the condo market is selectively healthy.

I have a negative view of condos on many levels for urban development, at least in our region. Tend to be seasonal residents and not as well active in the local area due to lack of being there or age for example as many condo owners or often older.

Apartments on the other hand are usually well occupied and those residents are often the life of urban areas...

Not saying anything against this development tho, it will be great to see this one come along.
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #57
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 129

condo prices are so inflated in channelside/downtown right now due to shear demand being so high and so few options. I think the market is ready personally
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #58
Brian72

Just to clarify, when I said selectively, I meant exactly that. Some areas, downtown St Pete and Channelside are hot unlike other areas where condos as lagging.