search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM   #61
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 38

I think this what you're inquiring about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
new 8-story Interdisciplinary Science Building, next to the administration building. The first tower cranes I've ever seen on campus.
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:24 PM   #62
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
The student union building looks amazing! I love it!
I love it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
The Marshall Student Center is very nice, espicially in person.

Is the Science Building the one being constructed down the street from the Marshall Center?
No, that is the Interdisciplinary Science building.

There are three major construction sites right now, the Interdisciplinary Science building, the Dr. Patel Center for Global Studies, near Fowler, and the Performing and Visual Arts Center along Holly Dr.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:55 PM   #63
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post

Yeah, not alot of trees there lol

At least the building is real nice. I had my Geography class in that building.

OH! And it was paid for by TAXPAYER DOLLARS! YAY TO ACADEMIC PORK!
lol, who do you expect to pay for public buildings?

gee.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #64
HARTride 2012

lol
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #65
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 786

Here are some pics of the Interdisciplinary Science building; they are pouring the columns right now. I'll be updating since I need to for a class I have. Thanks again JBrisco for meeting up with me.

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #66
HARTride 2012

those are some cool pics.

Brisco man, I sent a couple PMs, I'm sure you've been busy lately, but yeah, we need to meet up sometime as well.
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #67
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post

those are some cool pics.

Brisco man, I sent a couple PMs, I'm sure you've been busy lately, but yeah, we need to meet up sometime as well.
Haha well our schedules don't match up well! He happened to be able to get to USF inbetween my two classes on Monday
I think you're like all done before I even get to school ha
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #68
HARTride 2012

True. It looks like I leave before you arrive alright. I know we can work something out though. lol

Its good that you two were able to get those photos though. A friend of mine who is majoring in Engineering is not very happy about the construction because it basically cut off the mainline pedestrian route from the Marshall Center and MLK Plaza into the Chemistry and Engineering area of the campus.
Old February 8th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #69
HARTride 2012

This was posted on USF Blackboard. It is a PDF of the building plan for USF (created 2005, amended 2007). Some of the buildings shown have already been constructed or are under construction at this time. Others are yet to be built.

Notice particularly to proposed roundabout at Collins/Alumni, very interesting, as well as a future light rail connection.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/FacilitiesPla...30207(new).pdf
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #70
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Thats awesome dude, thanks for sharing it. I know I can have some use with it (future arch projects)
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #71
HARTride 2012

n/p
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #72
youngkg
Tampa - St Pete

Likes (Received): 12

USF picture update

Here are some pictures I took on top of the Engineering parking garage. I took them with my droid so the quality is average.

USF North Panorama

USF East Panorama

USF South
youngkg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #73
HARTride 2012

Pretty good photos there
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #74
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

Now if they could just build a nice library . . . like something that fits a school with 35000+ students not something for a community college
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #75
HARTride 2012

Yeah, I wonder about that as well. It's a dino of a building, not meaning large (though it is) but old and way outdated.
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #76
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

USF News and Development

Thought the university needed a main thread to discuss any news or developments on its campus. The USF Downtown Medical Building can still remain in its own thread, but I think it would be better if we had most of the discussion in one main thread.

Thanks.
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #77
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Draper Lab expanding at the USF, a sign its collaborative business strategy works
By Robert Trigaux, Times Business Columnist
In Print: Sunday, June 12, 2011

Skeptics wondering what the fuss is all about when Tampa Bay fights to recruit top-tier biotech and engineering firms might find some comfort in touring the still young Draper Bioengineering Center at the University of South Florida. After all, for years we've heard all the noise about "biotech" as a primo 21st century industry. And we've witnessed the sometimes desperate (and often expensive) desire by Florida to woo all kinds of scientific and innovative industries. The hope is they can, over time, help diversify Florida's economy with better-paying jobs and globally help rebrand the Sunshine State as a place that conjures up images beyond beaches, theme parks and retirement communities.

So come take the Draper tour with me.

The Draper facility on USF's campus is part of Draper Lab out of Cambridge, Mass., whose engineers specialize in taking university research and finding often remarkable ways to solve real-world problems with it. Draper's especially adept at taking machines and miniaturizing them. I'm talking about making objects small enough, for example, to inject in someone's bloodstream to help deliver a medicine directly to a cancer site. Draper does many other things, too.

I recently was invited to visit Draper at USF by Draper executive Len Polizzotto. He's the dynamo who helped bring Draper to this Tampa facility and St. Petersburg (where it does high-tech manufacturing in its own building).

I'd wanted to see Draper's USF operation first hand. Polizzotto thought the timing was good because Draper, operating barely two years at USF, is doubling its space by adding another 10,000 square feet of labs and offices to accommodate a growing number of collaborative projects. Those projects range from finding new ways to combat malaria — funded in part by the Gates Foundation — to detecting and analyzing brain injuries such as concussions and war wounds or post traumatic stress syndrome, and engineering devices that help people who have lost the ability to balance themselves to do so and even walk.

I also met with Shankar Sundaram, 42, who directs Draper's bioengineering center. He was hired in early 2009 specifically to run this facility. That task not only includes making sure his scientific staff is on track and getting the resources they need, but also seeking collaborative partners as diverse as USF, Tampa's James. A Haley VA Medical Center and the Moffitt Cancer Center, as well as MacDill Air Force Base.

"Collaboration is one of the main pillars of our business strategy," Sundaram says. "We realized early on that we cannot be an island and be successful."

This collaborative mantra is critical. USF's Karen Holbrook, who holds the lofty title of senior vice president for research, innovation and global affairs, stopped by the Draper labs to chat and convey her enthusiasm for the firm's arrival on the university campus and the merit of partnering in a wide swath of potential projects.

There are clearly good vibes between USF and Draper. USF knows there are many things it cannot attempt to do without Draper's can-do engineering (and enormous contacts in the federal government and defense world). And Draper readily admits to many opportunities it can pursue only with USF research.

Enough talk about this lovefest. But there is an infectious quality to watching smart, experienced people talk about tackling big, real-world problems with almost childlike wonder and a sense of optimism.

Of course, Draper did not arrive here without elaborate negotiations and funding. The state and counties offered up money and, in turn, Draper said it would create better-paying jobs, enough to make everybody happy.

How's that going?

In Tampa, Draper's got 20 full-time employees, plus seven undergraduate and graduate students and is seeking to fill six positions.

Thirty employees now work at Draper's multichip module manufacturing building on 16th Street in St. Petersburg. That brings the total Tampa Bay work force to 50-plus with an average salary of about $84,000 (that's 12 percent above Draper's target). The value of proposed Draper projects tops $80 million.

Given this weak economy, all those numbers deserve some applause and bode well for growth. USF and Draper already are talking about the possibility of building a separate facility to accommodate further Draper expansion, if enough partnerships happen.

But recruiting firms like Draper is no picnic.

Another biotech heavyweight called Jackson Lab, which does genetics research in Maine, tried several times in multiple Florida locations to establish a research facility here in the past few years. It finally agreed to build a research unit in Sarasota County that would have worked with USF (and probably Draper). The deal collapsed in recent weeks after Florida's budget-constrained government could not deliver on its share of incentive funds. Last week, Jackson Lab said it would seek to expand elsewhere in the country.

Polizzotto, who now oversees Draper's Florida business development opportunities from the firm's Cambridge headquarters, is a one-man advertising agency for the potential in Tampa Bay and at USF. He rattles off a long list of projects Draper wants to pursue here — especially an energy innovation center.

Why is he such a cheerleader?

Because, Polizzotto says, he sees wide-open acceptance and a refreshing lack of ego from Florida economic development leaders and from USF.

That matters a lot, he says, when you're trying to solve some of the world's toughest problems.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...rategy/1174690
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #78
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
Thought the university needed a main thread to discuss any news or developments on its campus. The USF Downtown Medical Building can still remain in its own thread, but I think it would be better if we had most of the discussion in one main thread.

Thanks.
You beat me to it Mike! I was thinking to do the same last week lol.

And we can have one place for projects occurring on all four campuses. Although its probably going to be a slow ride for Lakeland since Rick Scott's veto pen dissolved funding for the Lakeland campus for the meantime.
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #79
HARTride 2012

Since I've been at USF's Tampa Campus, the following buildings have been finished.

*School of Music (completed during Spring, 2011)
*Juniper-Poplar Student Housing Hall
*Patel Center for Global Solutions (completed during Fall, 2010) - Now houses the administrative offices.

Still under construction
*Interdisciplinary Sciences Building
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #80
GOOT

Likes (Received): 0

Plus the long list of athletic facility improvements, which includes the Sun Dome renovation.
GOOT no está en línea   Reply With Quote