search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #81
TampaGuy

Likes (Received): 79

USF-St. Pete is constructing the Multipurpose Student Center which should be complete by fall 2012.

Harbor Hall (former Dali museum) should be being renovated
Campus Activities Center should be being renovated and expanded soon

Edit:
I think the render showed might be an old version, the one on their construction page looks different. http://stpete.usf.edu/aboutusf/construction.htm

Last edited by TampaGuy; June 13th, 2011 at 02:50 AM.
TampaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #82
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

New soccer stadium nearly finished, and already has a name.

I would like to point out that among the improvements to the athletics department this past year include new baseball and soccer stadiums, practice fields, and of course the Sun Dome expansion.

And I'd also like to point this out.....guess who they're naming the new soccer stadium after? Hint Hint, Rowdies ring any bells?

http://www.usforacle.com/new-soccer-...amed-1.2600735
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #83
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Here's today's article on the new Interdisciplinary Science Building. Didn't know they had to halt the construction of the 7th floor of this building because of Scott's wrath of hell against universities and education in general.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/education-n...her-ar-252960/

I have a friend that goes to the new gym at the campus, says that it has been busy all this week and sometimes difficult to get on the bench or another equipment.
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #84
GOOT

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post

I have a friend that goes to the new gym at the campus, says that it has been busy all this week and sometimes difficult to get on the bench or another equipment.

We have 12 flat benches now... I've been there every day this week and have always seen one of them open. He must go at peak times, I suppose.

Anyways, the campus improvements have been AMAZING. They added fountains and other beautification things at the main entrance and lined sidewalks with trees throughout campus. I've been here 2 years and the amount it has changed is incredible.
GOOT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #85
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

It really has improved. And when the timeline is 10 or more years, the changes are even more dramatic.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #86
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOT View Post
We have 12 flat benches now... I've been there every day this week and have always seen one of them open. He must go at peak times, I suppose.

Anyways, the campus improvements have been AMAZING. They added fountains and other beautification things at the main entrance and lined sidewalks with trees throughout campus. I've been here 2 years and the amount it has changed is incredible.
I agree. The changes have been phenomenal. When I took a campus tour back in 2006, the new Marshall Center was still under construction (the old one was a dinosaur indeed). I guess with all the cuts that Gov. Skeletor made, I guess that we will not see any other expansions in the next 5 to 8 years unless they are largely privately funded.
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #87
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Likes (Received): 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
I agree. The changes have been phenomenal. When I took a campus tour back in 2006, the new Marshall Center was still under construction (the old one was a dinosaur indeed). I guess with all the cuts that Gov. Skeletor made, I guess that we will not see any other expansions in the next 5 to 8 years unless they are largely privately funded.
It's my understanding that USF is going to look toward P3 and donations to continue development of the campus master plan. Per the master plan, all new structures will be at least 3 stories tall with empty floors for future buildout if funding is not immediately available at time of construction. Three new parking facilities are in planning stages, located as close to arterials as possible (Alumni & Maple, Alumni & Sago, Holly & Magnolia).

I could be wrong, but I believe that two major structures will begin construction this year: the Institute for Heart Health at Bruce B Downs Blvd & Holly Dr and the Undergraduate Classroom and Support Building in place of the northern end of Collins Blvd. The latter is why all the improvements on Collins Blvd stop abruptly next to LIB and why the Bull Runner stop was moved from ADM to ENC - the road is to be truncated back to Apple Dr in the very near future to allow for construction. After that, things will slow down until 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShenise View Post
I love the dinosaur comment. You missed when the bookstore was basically a warehouse with an attached loading dock. It was good times back in the early-mid nineties. MLK plaza was just a big open field with a couple concrete paths through it. Canopies and shading, those are wimps, give me direct sun exposure and reflected heat off concrete and asphalt.
This is one of the things I hated about USF when I was a freshman back in 2002. Nothing but open fields and asphalt, no trees anywhere. What they've done in the span of a decade is nothing short of amazing.

The new MSC has the derogatory nickname of "The Airport." It's not somewhere you'd want to hang around as a student, which is something SG has been trying to fix since it opened. It has tons of classroom, ballroom, theater and restaurant venues, but nowhere comfortable to actually hang out and socialize. The lobby is too busy/loud, a large chunk of the student body doesn't want to hang out in the Beef 'O' Brady's, and the Sky Pod and commuter lounges are too small and cramped for what they are. It just doesn't compare to the old MC, which stuck WBUL, a massive gaming lounge/billiard hall/concert venue and SG computing together in one central location in the basement and had a nice, quiet lounge on the first floor.

Last edited by Szemeredy; September 19th, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Szemeredy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #88
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Likes (Received): 40

I love the dinosaur comment. You missed when the bookstore was basically a warehouse with an attached loading dock. It was good times back in the early-mid nineties. MLK plaza was just a big open field with a couple concrete paths through it. Canopies and shading, those are wimps, give me direct sun exposure and reflected heat off concrete and asphalt.
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #89
HARTride 2012

Since we've been talking so much about the developments with the Tampa campus, and on a lesser degree, the Lakeland campus, I thought it would be appropriate to begin posting photos (soon) of the St. Pete campus. Since I am having 2 classes on the St. Pete campus this term, I will be able to snap a few pics here and there of that particular campus.

Although there isn't a lot going on there at the moment, they are building a new facility that will house the student union and another residence hall. I find the first residence hall to be pretty neat as it is. Also the Poynter Library is very quiet compared to the Tampa library.
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #90
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

You just don't know the right places in the Tampa Library. I once fell sound asleep for four hours in the bound journal section. I would appreciate the SP Campus pics though. I did my undergrad there from 91-93, before grad school at the Tampa Campus. I hope the monolith statue is still there on the waterfront. That and the Tavern on the Asphalt. The Tavern was always fun on Thursday nights after class before heading to the Big Catch.
Old September 20th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #91
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Likes (Received): 726

Quote:
You just don't know the right places in the Tampa Library. I once fell sound asleep for four hours in the bound journal section. I would appreciate the SP Campus pics though. I did my undergrad there from 91-93, before grad school at the Tampa Campus. I hope the monolith statue is still there on the waterfront. That and the Tavern on the Asphalt. The Tavern was always fun on Thursday nights after class before heading to the Big Catch.
My quiet spot was on the 6th floor in the multimedia section, before it became a storage facility. Not a sound to be heard, plus the computers were always available and the view from the windows was awesome.
Szemeredy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #92
HARTride 2012

Quote:
I will agree. Some parts are quiet. The 1st floor is the particularly crowded area.
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:18 AM   #93
TampaGuy

Wow, the USF St.Pete student center is looking a lot better than I thought it would, I didn't realize it had a glass facade. I'm impressed.

Old December 10th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #94
HARTride 2012

Man, you beat me to it! LOL!

It does look good though. My last day on campus was last Tuesday and they were already beginning to put up the windows on the north side.

It was definitely a different feel taking 2 classes on the St Pete campus this past term. It has a small campus feel, but the USF Bulls spirit of the Tampa campus. I unfortunately will not be taking classes there in the spring (all of my classes will be on the Tampa campus), but I'll probably come back to snap some photos during Spring Break or something.
Old December 10th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #95
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

I miss the days when campus had about four buildings, Tavern on the Green was the place after classes got out at 9, the cafeteria sold nuclear hot steak fries and a mean fried burger, and you had a good shot at free parking on a surrounding street. I spent two years there and never bought a parking pass!

Dan
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #96
TampaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post

Man, you beat me to it! LOL!

It does look good though. My last day on campus was last Tuesday and they were already beginning to put up the windows on the north side.

It was definitely a different feel taking 2 classes on the St Pete campus this past term. It has a small campus feel, but the USF Bulls spirit of the Tampa campus. I unfortunately will not be taking classes there in the spring (all of my classes will be on the Tampa campus), but I'll probably come back to snap some photos during Spring Break or something.
lol
Just wondering, did you choose to take classes at the St. Pete campus or did you have to?
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #97
HARTride 2012

I chose to. Mainly because the Principles of Management courses on the Tampa campus are a joke. Auditorium style classes sometime are NOT productive. Unfortunately, budget cuts are making classes larger and larger...and less offerings too.
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #98
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Looking forward to this.

Moffitt expansion plan gains steam

Money for a long-proposed expansion of the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center could come in the form of a new jobs bill created last week in Tallahassee.

It's been three years since local legislators first proposed using existing cigarette taxes to build a clinical and research facility near the burgeoning Tampa campus. Leaders say it would address demand at the comprehensive National Cancer Institute center, one of just 50 in the United States.

"This campus is Moffitt's future," said Jamie Wilson, Moffitt's vice president of government relations.

But shoveling money toward health care isn't politically popular lately, and this year Moffitt revised its pitch to focus on the economics of expansion. The Tampa Chamber of Commerce and Moffitt launched a sophisticated website — jobsforthecure.com — to highlight the potential 3,000 construction jobs and more than 1,000 permanent health care jobs.

The effort appears to have paid off, as Moffitt's expansion plans were added last week to an economic incentive package created by the House Finance and Tax Committee. There's still no similar companion bill in the Senate, but Wilson said he is cautiously optimistic.

"This puts us way ahead of where we were last year, and we're appreciative," Wilson said.

The jobs bill takes in a hodgepodge of interests. The state's television and film industry, airplane mechanics and Moffitt's building plans are lumped in together, each with its own source of funding. Wilson said this is a way to get started.

"They are trying to help us, incrementally," he said. "This isn't going to get it all done now … but we understand the fiscal restraints on the state right now."

Money for the construction doesn't involve a new tax; Moffitt is asking for a percentage of the existing $1.33 per-pack cigarette charge. Most of that money now goes into a general fund for state health-related projects.

Such requests are how Moffitt financed many previous construction projects on its 17-acre site on the University of South Florida campus.

In 2011, the taxes translated to $5.5 million for Moffitt. The economic incentive package now being considered would nearly double that amount, Wilson said.

Moffitt, one of the three busiest cancer centers in the nation, reported more than $700 million in revenue in 2010, a small part of which comes from the state.

Medicaid reimbursements supplement some patient care, and biomedical research is backed by $5 million from cigarette tax revenues. Another $9.6 million comes from the State University System to train more than 1,000 medical students a year.

If the jobs plan makes it into the state budget, Wilson said, construction can start immediately. The land for the expansion was purchased in 2006 with a combination of support from the state and local governments. It's on a 25-acre parcel on McKinley Drive, across from the USF campus.

A detailed video at jobsforthecure.org shows extensive architectural renderings and plans for the multi-building complex.

Wilson said whether the money for construction comes now or later is irrelevant. It eventually will happen, he said.

"In order to facilitate the needs of future cancer patients, we have to expand," he said

Render in link
http://www2.tbo.com/news/politics/20...eam-ar-355300/
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #99
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Considering how the state's leadership has gone out of their way to deep six Tampa area job creating projects the past few years, I won't be holding my breath for them to stop any time soon.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #100
ATampaArnold

Likes (Received): 129

Me either
ATampaArnold no está en línea   Reply With Quote