daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #121
John F

Likes (Received): 62

I've been reading John Romano for years in the Sports section. He switched over to columnist for the general, local news on January 1st and he's been a mixed bag since then... Well, up until today:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1215660.ece

Quote:
They are not all liars. That's important to understand.

Some members of the Florida Senate seem to genuinely believe what they are doing and saying is completely honest, pure and without agenda.

So, no, they are not all liars.

Which means some may just be morons.

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #122
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

...nevermind...
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #123
John F

Likes (Received): 62

Things are messed up when even Captain Teabags himself (the governor) is denouncing the plans.

I want to know how Sen. Lynn is benefiting from administering JD Alexander public fellatio on this and standing with him / enabling him.
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #124
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Things are messed up when even Captain Teabags himself (the governor) is denouncing the plans.

I want to know how Sen. Lynn is benefiting from administering JD Alexander public fellatio on this and standing with him / enabling him.
I think it's more of a who Sen. Lynn is benefiting. I think both have some campaign donors that are looking for a job and being in the top ranks of a university pay a fairly good amount of cash.
Old February 24th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #125
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1973

Bad news.....Senate approves cuts for the universities and voted for the Poly campus split.

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news...2th-university

Good news, looks like Norman may have spared USF the brunt of the cuts.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...attle-02232012
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #126
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

You can't help that you live in a 3rd world country masquerading as a US state. But you can help yourself and leave.
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #127
HARTride 2012

Well said.
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:07 PM   #128
HARTride 2012

Scott signs Poly split bill...

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...dents_wai.html

Quote:
Governor Rick Scott has signed a bill creating Florida Polytechnic, giving the former USF Poly independence from the University of South Florida system.
With the signing, Florida Polytechnic becomes a standalone, new university in Polk County. Scott approved Senate Bill 1994 on Friday afternoon, technically creating the new school.
If he had vetoed the bill, USF Poly would have remained in the USF system, according to The Lakeland Ledger. If no action was taken by Saturday, the bill would have matriculated into law.
Florida Poly will be the state of Florida's 12th public university. Florida Poly will be officially established July 1.
The move was expected as Scott left $33 million budgeted for a new Florida Poly in the budget he approved Monday, The Ledger reported.
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:07 PM   #129
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Likes (Received): 40

Good luck with accreditation folks.
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:51 PM   #130
smiley

Likes (Received): 567

Should never have all those satellites. Cut it off and let it die. Spend lots of money at USF on engineering and science and the Senator will sit in his presidential office all by his lonesome.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #131
HARTride 2012

WTF?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/educati...f-poly/1226835

Quote:
Two top administrators at the University of South Florida Polytechnic are facing dismissal after an investigation into complaints of financial mismanagement at the Lakeland campus.

And the former leader of the school, Marshall Goodman, could soon be under further investigation himself.

USF officials are recommending those actions after completing a two-month ethics review at USF Poly, which soon will become an independent school. Not only did investigators find that USF Poly officials misused money, their report outlines a dysfunctional world that one employee dubbed "Marshall Goodman's own playground."
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #132
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 248

Thanks for posting that HART, the additionally sad thing is placing a technical focus college far away from where those companies might locate was a bad idea, but it seems putting any college in the hands of these people is colossally bad.

But we all knew that. The bigger question is -- how much of this was known before Scott signed the bill?

http://newtotampa.tumblr.com
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #133
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthurman View Post
But we all knew that. The bigger question is -- how much of this was known before Scott signed the bill?
I'm asking myself this question as well.
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #134
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthurman View Post
Thanks for posting that HART, the additionally sad thing is placing a technical focus college far away from where those companies might locate was a bad idea, but it seems putting any college in the hands of these people is colossally bad.

My guess is all of it was known. Kinda hard to miss the things they were blowing the money on... Like the 2 story corksrew slide they built. My guess is the peopel running the state don't care. Especially JD, who seems intent on personally installing his pals and himself to run the school.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; April 26th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #135
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 952

JD is all but certain to get a job at the independent campus once it's open. I'll bet my life savings on it. Croonism at it's finest.
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #136
kmthurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
JD is all but certain to get a job at the independent campus once it's open. I'll bet my life savings on it. Croonism at it's finest.
If that happens before 2014 Democrats might actually win some seats in the area

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #137
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^In Polk County? i wouldn't bet on it.
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #138
kmthurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^In Polk County? i wouldn't bet on it.
I meant the bay area, the area affected negatively by competitive cuts, etc. but Rick is expecting to lose Hillsborough again it seems based on his movements and actions.

Old May 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #139
HARTride 2012

The 2nd floor of the Tampa Library is being gutted out and renovated during this summer. It is likely that new lighting and flooring will be installed, as well as expanded areas to plug in laptops, etc.
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #140
HARTride 2012

Just an FYI; anything relating to Florida Polytechnic (formerly USF Poly) will now be housed in this thread in the Florida Forum.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1544511

------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news; the new Student Center at USF St Pete opens today:

http://www.usfsp.edu/blog/2012/08/31...t-achievement/

Quote:
The University Student Center at USF St. Petersburg marks a major milestone in the evolution of the university and an example of what a determined group of students can accomplish.

The $21 million, 81,000 sq. ft. facility was partly financed with a special student fee passed by the Florida Legislature and supported by students who saw a need for a central gathering place at USFSP. It took several years to accomplish and today’s students are reaping the benefits of that hard work.

The building, 200 Sixth Avenue South, opened Aug. 25 when 200 residential students moved into rooms in the six-story residential tower. Besides student housing, the building also includes a dining hall called The Reef that is open to the public serving breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. It offers the first full-service meal plans for USFSP, one of the top requests from parents, along with Red Mango frozen yogurt.

The center also includes an atrium lobby, wireless internet, laundry facilities, a student lounge, seating areas and two outdoor basketball courts.

The official launch of the USC will be Thursday Sept. 6 at 4:30 p.m. The event will be led by Student Body President Mark Lombardi-Nelson and include remarks by one of the student lobbyists who successfully lobbied lawmakers to increase student fees to help pay for the building. The primary sponsors of the legislation were state Sen. Dennis Jones and state Rep. Darryl Rouson.

There will also be a short ribbon cutting ceremony and a fun surprise at the end. Free refreshments and tours of the building will follow.

The 75-ft. building was designed by Rowe Architects of Tampa and built by Creative Contractors of Clearwater. Among its architectural features is a 65-ft., multi-colored glass-enclosed circular staircase for the residential tower, and an 8,000 sq. ft. curtain of glass along 6th Avenue South.

The project created about 850 direct and indirect jobs.

The residential tower brings the total number of residential students to nearly 650, a record number in the university’s history. Many of the rooms in the residential tower offer views of Tampa Bay and the downtown St. Petersburg skyline.