search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #21
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthurman View Post
I think plans are a bit up in the air at the moment -- with this project and the fed funding making older more expensive plans possible. But the maps they've provided over the years had shown no changes to the area. I think development was so slow compared to their dreams that in the late 2000s the focus became on the sidewalk everywhere mentality and conversations are finally starting to shift back.
Agree with Jason, CSX can **** off. But this is ridiculous. Go with the most idiotic option because it isn't doing what it's been planned to do. Tampa.....

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #22
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 243

The development director for the Downtown CRA just told City that they received an RFP for this project a few days ago. It closed on Tuesday. So it looks like in about 26 days or less we'll find out what they are planning for this space.

http://newtotampa.tumblr.com
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #23
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

Failure.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #24
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Just one proposal was submitted?

So the city is amending the RFP and resubmitting it, right?
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #25
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Just one proposal was submitted?

So the city is amending the RFP and resubmitting it, right?
Wasn't this the parcel that everyone here was confused at any possible use?
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #26
kmthurman

Jesus people. I type one thing oddly and everyone declares they were right all along. He said they are reviewing responses. So it sounds like more or maybe you're right. But no one here knows. Unless your wasting your time here and work for the city and if so -- get back to work I don't pay taxes for you to be here

On a serous note, declaring failure is premature, resubmission also premature. Who knows. It's about an acre total once the streets are vacated and it sites between the TMA and the Straz on the river, seems to me someone will want it.

Old August 10th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #27
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

We'll find out soon enough.

I hope all of those easements can be vacated and something significant can go there. If not, please just leave it alone until everyone's ready to redo the library.
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:45 PM   #28
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 128

Did anything materialize on this?
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM   #29
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

been trying to find that out myself.

No luck yet.
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #30
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Holy shit!

A little birdie sent me something the other day, and I finally got around to opening it tonight.

Well, we now know what the one response to this RFP entails...

Depending on approval of scope and scale by the city, the proposal's concept calls for...

Up to 35 floors.
Up to 350 apartments.
Up to 600 parking spaces.
15k sqft retail/restaurant space.
$4 million payment for land/ROW.
$88 million structure on the city/county tax rolls.

Bid was placed by Intown/Framework Group (led by Greg Minder and Phil Smith)
Architect would be Baker Barrios out of Orlando. Tim Baker would be architect of record. Bob Ledford from their local office would be Project Manager.
Some design work would also be performed by the Moss & Associates out of FT Lauderdale.
GC would be Beck Group.
Raymond James Financial would secure financing.

Intown/Framework would want to close on the property in Q1 2013 and begin design development right away. Expected completion of the project, including structure and realignment of street grid (just as I suggested would be required to get a project of any use) by Q3 of 2014.

Conceptual design calls for a slender Art Deco styled tower rising from a base dominated by storefront retail. This view is from the SW.

Conceptual ground floor site plan...

Overall site...

As you can see, the proposal would require the restoration of the grid in front of the Straz. But considering what would be built, and how vital it would be to getting useful retail along what will otherwise be an absolute dead zone along the riverwalk/Arts District, the Straz people can pack sand. They live off of public subsidy, and the direct and indirect tax income this project would pull in would virtually pay for their subsidy in perpetuity, while making their venue that much more attractive in terms of providing a more interesting night out for patrons. There is also room to shift the tower farther to the east if the skywalk can be reworked, or if the project is scaled down a bit. What is shown is what one can call the developer's 'preferred alternative'.

All I can say is wow. I knew something like this was possible, but I had no idea anyone would actually have the stones to propose it.

This will be a big test for the Buckhorn administration and city council to put the longtime vision for a livable downtown ahead of parochial interests that have hogtied that agenda for decades. You can bet your bottom dollar the Straz people will reflexively oppose this with everything they've got, simply because they would have to sacrifice a few feet of their precious little turnabout.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; October 16th, 2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #31
John F

Likes (Received): 62

Reading what you wrote, Jason, the first thing that struck me wasn't the stats... it was InTown group being involved (for those not in the know, Intown was partners with Novare in getting Skypoint and Element built, and had been planning to work with them on other projects).

This is grand...
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #32
miketpa

Likes (Received): 7

That is certainly surprising to see such a large project pop up, especially in that spot. With all the empty lots used for parking right up there it's a surprise. But I guess being on the river and the same side as the Center and the museums/park is on that side too. Not too crazy about the design, could be better could be a lot worse. Would be great to get such a big building downtown though.
miketpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #33
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

I had heard it was going to be a condo tower, but nothing specific. This is great news, taller than I had guessed.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #34
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketpa View Post
That is certainly surprising to see such a large project pop up, especially in that spot. With all the empty lots used for parking right up there it's a surprise. But I guess being on the river and the same side as the Center and the museums/park is on that side too. Not too crazy about the design, could be better could be a lot worse. Would be great to get such a big building downtown though.
It's just the conceptual design. Seems to borrow design elements from the defunct proposal Intown/Novare had for the block they used to own on Ashley north of Skypoint, but sold back to TECO when the economy crashed.
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #35
TampaGuy

Likes (Received): 79

Wow. Let's hope this can move along and start the process!
TampaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #36
Vivi666an

Likes (Received): 0

Lets hope they get something like 40 floor tower ...
Vivi666an no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #37
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
It's just the conceptual design. Seems to borrow design elements from the defunct proposal Intown/Novare had for the block they used to own on Ashley north of Skypoint, but sold back to TECO when the economy crashed.
Thought I saw the design proposed before for Tampa, thanks.

The only issue I can see Straz having to this is that the proposal would block any access of drop-offs and pick-ups near the main entrance and ticket area. That, and maybe the pedestrian bridge. Of which, I don't know of what purpose it is for and how much use it gets. So the Straz will likely have to do some renovations to accommodate patrons that need to be dropped off closer to the front.

The design is great and this will likely go through, if Straz is fine with the proposal. Being that it's apartments and the market is still in need for apartments in Downtown, this will have no problem getting the needed financing to get this thing rolling.
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #38
Casey

Likes (Received): 211

Rendering looks just like another Skypoint/Element design - square parking deck base with a narrower rectangular tower above - but with a much uglier facade treatment.
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #39
kmthurman

Ha! I was hoping for something in the 10 to 20 floor range in realistic expectations when the RFP was posted on the City Website, but this is really cool. I also like the restoration of the grid. I actually think redoing the streets would actually be awesome for slowing down traffic for Straz. Also that is a pretty dangerous pedestrian area right now an this would fix that. Hopefully they can Get it going and it convinces others I get moving. Add this news with the news of vacant rates dropping over 2% downtown and rents going up to near record highs. I think we might see a few new proposals sneaking up on us like this one.

Old October 16th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #40
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
Thought I saw the design proposed before for Tampa, thanks.

The only issue I can see Straz having to this is that the proposal would block any access of drop-offs and pick-ups near the main entrance and ticket area.
It wouldn't block such a thing, just change the nature of their drop off point from the huge suburbanesque approach it is now, to something more akin to what one sees in front of a large downtown hotel. They wouldn't even lose the turnabout, just the retarded two-way driveway. I've taken some measurements in Google Earth, and they're wasting damn near an acre out in front of the place. There's no good reason to have so much usable land gobbled up by a paver driveway that is used by a tiny fraction of the Straz's patrons. This project would create a major activity point along the riverwalk. let's not forget, this is land that Intown doesn't want ceded to them for free, like several developers have pulled over on taxpayers lately, they're willing to pay $4 million for land the city was prepared to lease for $1.

This proposal is an absolute no-brainer, except from the perspective of *******s whose agenda is their own narrow concerns, not the betterment of downtown, and the financial well being of the city's taxpayers. The Straz exists only because taxpayers pay for it. So far as I'm concerned, the people running the Straz shouldn't even have a word in the discussion, unless they can cough up money equal to what this project would bring in. (which there's no chance of that)

Approve the project and give Greg Minder a key to the city already!

Last edited by Jasonhouse; October 16th, 2012 at 05:44 AM.