search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #101
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

Apparently Buckhorn announced this thing is a go... A 36 story $85M project. More details to follow shortly.

jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #102
jonknee
Downtown resident

Here are the details from the city. They're claiming construction to be completed in 2014 so I would have to imagine they will be starting fairly quickly. This does not mention if it's rental or condo, but apartments are what were rumored before. The re-configuration of the streets will be a welcome improvement and this should be a nice shot in the arm for the Riverwalk. Hopefully a restaurant with outdoor seating will happen.

http://www.tampagov.net/appl_tampa_announcements/ViewRelease.asp?ReleaseID=9928

Tampa, FL January 14, 2013 - “Our partners, from the Straz Center and the team at Intown/Framework, share a vision for downtown, and I could not be more excited about how this project will transform the area. The project allows us to make a strong physical and important visual connection between Curtis Hixon and the Arts District to the Straz Center and North Downtown,” said Mayor Bob Buckhorn. “Reconfiguring the streets will make all of those amenities and the Hillsborough River more accessible.”

The project includes 350 residential units and approximately 10,000 sq. ft. of retail space on the ground floor in a high rise construction of 36 stories. InTown/Framework will purchase the land, currently part of the right-of-way between Tyler and Cass streets, for $4 million from the City of Tampa. Construction is anticipated to be complete by the end of 2014.

The team who will develop the project include intowngroup, Framework Group, LLC, Baker Barrios Architects, Moss and Associates, and the Beck Group.

The City of Tampa will make Cass and Tyler streets two-way, restoring the street grid in downtown and transforming Cass into a central spine throughout the city as outlined in the InVision Tampa Center City plan.

“The Straz Center is very excited about the new development,” said Judith Lisi, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Straz Center for the Performing Arts. “Our guest experience is very important, and all of the enhancements included in the project, in particular the improvements to the road network and to our arrival plaza, will ensure that they do.”

The Straz Center Board of Directors approved the project this afternoon, and the agreement will go before a special call meeting of the Tampa City Council on Thursday, January 17, 2013 after the Community Redevelopment Agency meets.

To view and download renderings of the design, please visit tampagov.net/PAO.

Background

In July 2012, the City of Tampa released a Request for Proposals for development of the proposed site. The intent was to help create activity along the Tampa Riverwalk and in the adjacent parks and museums as well as to stimulate the redevelopment of the Downtown Tampa Community Redevelopment Area.

###
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #103
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 128

Mayor takes lead on touting would-be $85M Tampa ‘arts’ development
athleen Cabble
David A. Straz Jr. Center for the Performing Arts

Alexis Muellner
Editor-
Tampa Bay Business Journal

Email | Google+ | Twitter
Politicians are well known for talking about vision and establishing plans. Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn is set to add real substance to his InVision Tampa plan, a community master plan shared in detail in November.

Late Monday, Buckhorn threw full support behind an $85 million private investment to build a 350-unit residential complex in the heart of downtown Tampa’s burgeoning arts district. The project is envisioned in a right of way between Cass and Tyler streets next to the David A. Straz Jr. Center for the Performing Arts. As part of the development, which will include 10,000 square feet of retail and five floors of parking, the city will reconfigure the streets.

Intown/Framework Group LLC is the developer and expects to complete the project by the end of 2014, a statement from the city said.

"The project allows us to make a strong physical and important visual connection between Curtis Hixon and the Arts District to the Straz Center and North Downtown,” said Buckhorn in a prepared statement. The Straz Center for the Performing Arts has also thrown its support behind the effort.

“Our guest experience is very important," said Judith Lisi, president and CEO, in the statement. "All of the enhancements included in the project, in particular the improvements to the road network and to our arrival plaza, will ensure that they do," Lisi said.

Word of the still unnamed project first surfaced in October in published reports about an Art Deco tower on a triangle-shaped property. In the summer, there was a request for proposals seeking experienced developers. It received just one response, from the partnership of intowngroup and Framework Group.

Greg Minder is president and owner of intowngroup, which has a successful track record in Tampa. With an Atlanta partner, it completed the 32-story SkyPoint and 35-story Element residential buildings downtown.

Project partners include Baker Barrios Architects, Moss and Associates and the Beck Group.

The developers are scheduled to go before the Tampa City Council Jan. 17 seeking approval for a $4 million purchase and sale agreement on the land.

If approved, it would then begin a detailed development process.

In Late November, Buckhorn unveiled the InVision Tampa plan, fulfilling a campaign promise to create a master plan that would connect neighborhoods and inspire development on both sides of the Hillsborough River.

Los Angeles-based consultant AECOM was hired in November 2011 and held a series of large public forums and neighborhood workshops, gathering feedback and suggestions from as many as 800 people.

The plan’s vision: “a community of livable places, connected people and collaborative progress that embraces and celebrates its river and waterfront.”

A key element of the plan is to improve connections between downtown Tampa and nearby neighborhoods with more pedestrian friendly greenways and access – making the river the center of downtown, rather than an edge. More goals of InVision include taking one-way streets and making them two-way to slow down traffic, and a “green spine” or trail that connects Ybor to West Tampa to the University of Tampa and the Riverwalk.

The project envisions the straightening of Cass Street by creating a new section of road that currently exists as a valet parking area for the Straz Center. The curvy intersection at the foot of the bridge across the Hillsborough River has seen its fair share of accidents due to quick speeds and poor sightlines.

Alexis Muellner is Editor of the Tampa Bay Business Journal.
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #104
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

GREAT NEWS!

And a similar article from the Times...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgo...h-rise/1270513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Times Article
Buckhorn plans to ask the City Council at a special meeting on Thursday to approve the sale of a triangle of city-owned land behind the annex to the John F. Germany Public Library.
Who knows the time of this meeting?
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #105
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
It's either after their 9 am CRA meeting or at 6 PM. When I find out I'll let you know.

http://newtotampa.tumblr.com
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #106
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 557

This is exciting. For Tampa this is big, especially these days.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #107
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

It is great to see this on the path forward with little scaling back, but the larger valet pad at Straz isn't cool.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #108
tamparican

Likes (Received): 41

This is great for the city and great for that arts distric they are trying to push. Not to mention the added residents could bring much more life to the curtis nixon park as well as the riverwalk.. It's def a win all around I think.
tamparican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #109
tampaizzy

Likes (Received): 31

very exciting news for downtown! And 10,000 square feet of retail
tampaizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #110
TampaGuy

Likes (Received): 79

This is great news. It looks like a pretty nice tower.
TampaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #111
USF802

Likes (Received): 675

Great news for downtown Tampa, the riverwalk and much more. Lets hope this is a catalyst for more great things to come in the near future. This will be a welcomed addition to our skyline!

*edit* On another note, I think it's time to change this threads name.

Last edited by USF802; January 15th, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #112
Del Mayberry

How about the "Straz Tower"?
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #113
jonknee
Downtown resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Mayberry View Post
How about the "Straz Tower"?
Sure... If Mr and Mrs Straz would like to pay for it. Otherwise it makes no sense.
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #114
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

All I know is, can we please get a 400 footer out of this?

lol
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #115
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Great news for Tampa. I can't wait to see this tower go up! Hopefully this can spark further development in the area.
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #116
USF802

Likes (Received): 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknee View Post
Sure... If Mr and Mrs Straz would like to pay for it. Otherwise it makes no sense.
I think Del Mayberry was referring to a potential new name for this thread, rather than the actual name of the building.

And Jason, I was just about to ask if anyone had an idea as to what the height was going to be. At 36 stories, it should be close to Element, Rivergate and Park tower and those are 450'+.

Also on a completely unrelated note, why does Straz not have boat slips?
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #117
smiley

Likes (Received): 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
"the agreement will go before a special call meeting of the Tampa City Council on Thursday, January 17, 2013 after the Community Redevelopment Agency meets." http://www.tampagov.net/appl_tampa_a...ReleaseID=9928

So after the 9 am meeting agenda is over
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #118
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 941

Is the name good for now? Until we get an official name to it?

And can I just say, I am happy to hear this is a go for 100% sure. I read the news yesterday at work and pretty sure people walked by weirdly when I had a nice smile on my face. Will be nice to see a tall crane in downtown again.
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #119
Del Mayberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF802 View Post
I think Del Mayberry was referring to a potential new name for this thread, rather than the actual name of the building.

And Jason, I was just about to ask if anyone had an idea as to what the height was going to be. At 36 stories, it should be close to Element, Rivergate and Park tower and those are 450'+.

Also on a completely unrelated note, why does Straz not have boat slips?
Yes, just the thread. However, I'm very curious to find out what they will name this.
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #120
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 257

Notice the speculated building in the Times lot is gone.

Also, the article states that it is rental, not condos. Interesting how they specifically are not calling it an apartment tower. But rather, "rentals".