search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #41
Buckeye Nation

Likes (Received): 601

I will admit, having cranes in your skyline view isn't the most appealing aspect, but we've actually enjoyed watching the progress/process of Skyhouse and sometimes forget that the crane ISN'T supposed to be there.

GC didn't really have any noise associated with Skyhouse, but The Place residents did, and that was quickly put to rest evidently when the Skyhouse management team reworked timing of loudest construction and turned off the generator at night.

Bring on the amazon building crane! Ready to get this project started and completed.

ATampaArnold liked this post
Buckeye Nation no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #42
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Really wish someone would have gotten after them to put additional ground floor commercial along 12th. Not a lot, just enough to help further activate 12th as a ped corridor, and not be just a residential side street people use to get to somewhere else.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #43
tampaguy75

Likes (Received): 92

Fence is up around the Amazon Factory:

Old March 11th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #44
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3952

Say bye

Jasonhouse liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #45
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 138

You've got a prime view of it. Interested to see if us gcak guys will have to deal with sound at night like the place did
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #46
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

Count on it. Grand Central, the Slade, Channelside Lofts, Dance Project...we'll all be in the same boat. Oh well, price of progress. It will be a nice addition to the neighborhood.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #47
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 941

Will it be as bad as Skypoint considering this is a lesser height project?
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #48
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

When Grand Central was being built about ten years ago or so, we were bombarded with pounding noises at all hours of the night. And that's what - 14 stories? Certainly much shorter than Skyhouse.

Although there were probably only a few hundred residents in the district at that time, it was a pain in the butt for those of us who had to live through it. But again, it comes with the territory if you want to reside in a growing urban neighborhood.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #49
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 138

The glass is pretty thick on my balcony. Only real noise pollution that comes through is Harley's and big trucks and its pretty muted. I also sleep like a brick so... I will be impressed if its loud enough to keep me up at night
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #50
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim98 View Post
I hope she doesn't sell. The building adds a great texture to the neighborhood. I'm going out on a limb to say that I'm somewhat sad to see the Amazon building go. There are aspects that I think are architecturally charming. Beyond this example, I wish Tampa had a healthier relationship with old buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim98 View Post
I'm not at all kidding, and I can name several (purely economic) reasons why "blighted" buildings are a great asset to emerging inner city neighborhoods. To say nothing of other, non-market reasons as to why we might value older structures.

As for the physical status of the building (code compliance), I can't comment about this particular property.

I would agree with this. The amazon building, if restored properly , could have been a nice addition to the neighborhood. The old, gritty, warehouse look provides a sense of history and gives a nice balance to the majority modern architecture we see in channelside. IMO an important part of living in an urban environment is all the old buildings that comes with it.

Having said that, channelside is desparately in need of more residents to hit that critical mass you here of to really create a vibrant neighborhood. If channelside had been built with much greater density then I would opt to keep the amazon building assuming it gets the proper renovation but since it did not get built with enough density then I'm more for the new construction and the additional residents.

Now as far as the several older brick buildings left in the neighborhood, I'm 100% for keeping them, just my opinion.

densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:34 AM   #51
Tampa Wine Guy
Wineguy

Likes (Received): 23

If we are ever going to get a sustainable presence of businesses within the Channel District, that critical mass is necessary. It's taken how many years to have Victory, Bamboozle, Pour House, City Dog, Cena (and the failed 1120), and the few versions of business that is currently Maloneys? Risk takers opening these places use simple numbers to determine viability. Becoming a destination is the gravy, but the locals have to sustain. Not suggesting I want the Channel District to be like SoHo, but you get my point.

Tampa Wine Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #52
TampaFan

Likes (Received): 58

Looking at the view of the Amazon building, it could have been a great place like Ulele, perhaps a brewery, restaurants and some shops. Perhaps even a social hall or some other public use.

Of course its going to be much better redeveloped but I had never considered it as a re-purposed development.

TampaFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #53
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

What would have been really sweet was if the developer saved and re purposed the east Amazon building seen in the pic above and just demolished the west building and then built a high rise on that plot of land that is equipped with around the same number of units as what's initially been proposed. This would have been a gamechanger. The Amazon building could have been a really cool place

densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #54
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Ideally, saving the east building and making it an urban market/restaurant would had been amazing. The Amazon building would stay, have a fresh/organic restaurant on the northern side, outdoor seating would work if you remove the entrance part of the building, and then make the southern portion a nice urban market with outdoor vendors too. You would had enough room to still fit a tower on the rest of the property and it would had been taller too.

But this is a big business sugar company, they'll build something decent looking and sell. I highly doubt they thought what the community might want.
Old March 12th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #55
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaFan View Post
Looking at the view of the Amazon building, it could have been a great place like Ulele, perhaps a brewery, restaurants and some shops. Perhaps even a social hall or some other public use.

Of course its going to be much better redeveloped but I had never considered it as a re-purposed development.
An adaptive reuse that is a full blown mixed-use commercial project sounds awesome... But again, with nowhere near a critical mass of inhabitants in the neighborhood, there's simply not much demand for expended service sector commercial.

The district needs a much higher intensity of development than the city has been approving, that's for damn sure. I think it's becoming clear that the city's vision for a complete urban neighborhood with a robust mix of uses (typically regarded as equal parts residents, workers and visitors), is failing at this point. I'm sooo glad I never bought in the area when I had the chance to in the mid 2000s. I would have been extremely pissed to see my investment get thumbed at the way I feel the city has. Look at all the BS they tell people, and little of it has ever been followed through on.

dopey! liked this post

Last edited by Jasonhouse; March 12th, 2015 at 09:39 PM.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #56
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

There have been definitely many shortcomings. If I trusted the city do right, I would suggest incorporating tax incentives to lure a hotel in the area. But I would require so much from the developer at the same time. Garage must be at the base of project and not detached from the hotel. Garage must be well designed and blend with the hotel design, not be a gray mass. Height of nothing less than 15 stories. Retail of a certain amount of square feet. And certain design elements.

But again, I have lost faith to fully orchestrate anything really in development correctly.

Maxim98 liked this post
TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #57
Buckeye Nation

The "garage" doors on the west side of the building and the front "garage" door on the west bldg were open with lots of tire tracks -- clearing it out inside!

Old March 13th, 2015, 03:59 AM   #58
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 557

Maybe the sign can be salvaged and preserved. Don't know though if it's significant enough to put in a museum representing part of Tampa's industrial past.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 05:30 AM   #59
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Nation View Post
The "garage" doors on the west side of the building and the front "garage" door on the west bldg were open with lots of tire tracks -- clearing it out inside!
Yeah I posted a picture on my Twitter today of the the west side open and a large trash container pretty full.

Maxim98 liked this post
TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #60
Buckeye Nation

The roof is coming down!

koopalicious, Jasonhouse liked this post