search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #41
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3889

Parking base is ass ugly. The rest of the tower is fine but nothing special.

Last edited by FloridaFuture; September 29th, 2016 at 04:15 PM.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #42
FloridaFuture

From the city's website:

Quote:
City of Tampa Announces Winning Bid for City Council Lot
09/29/16
Mayor Bob Buckhorn announced today that HRI Properties of New Orleans submitted the winning bid for the downtown block that the City of Tampa issued a Request for Proposals on August 2, 2016.

“The city received very attractive proposals from three very qualified teams and after careful analysis, HRI’s proposal offered exactly what the City of Tampa was looking for,” said Mayor Bob Buckhorn. “HRI offered not only a vision that would add to Tampa’s burgeoning downtown but also offered an attractive purchase price, density and innovative design.

“We look forward to this new project joining the rapidly growing Tampa skyline. A livable, walkable and pedestrian oriented downtown has been the goal of the Invision Plan and a focus of our work of the last six years.”

HRI proposes to pay $7.5 million for the city’s downtown block to develop a 21 story building that will include a 223 room Hyatt Centric Hotel, 225 residential units, 7,000 square feet of commercial / retail space and a 408 car garage. Construction is planned to commence third quarter, 2017 with occupancy planned for May 2019.

##

Ashley Bauman

Public Affairs Director

City of Tampa

Office: (813) 274-8262

Cell: (813) 390-7455
http://www.tampagov.net/news/city-ta...ty-council-lot
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #43
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 177

I don't think it's that bad and the top sets itself apart from everything else.
NaqoyqatZ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #44
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 123

I get that we want every tower to be a super tall, but if you want parking turned into buildings then it isn't going to happen. The higher you go the more complicated things get.

The pearl district in Portland hardly has any buildings over 20 stories and it is awesome. Same thing with downtown Portland and even midtown Atlanta doesn't feature huge residential towers.

I would rather have every city block filled with 10-15 story mixed use with retail on bottom than an empty parking lot.

NaqoyqatZ, Jasonhouse, densitymatters liked this post
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #45
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by apartmentev View Post
I get that we want every tower to be a super tall, but if you want parking turned into buildings then it isn't going to happen. The higher you go the more complicated things get.

The pearl district in Portland hardly has any buildings over 20 stories and it is awesome. Same thing with downtown Portland and even midtown Atlanta doesn't feature huge residential towers.

I would rather have every city block filled with 10-15 story mixed use with retail on bottom than an empty parking lot.
I mean yeah we like height because we're skyscraper enthusiasts here but the density of this project is actually quite good. This is a more intense use then Element or Skypoint for example. My only concern is 7,000 sq. ft. of retail sounds like it may only be on one or two sides of the building.

apartmentev liked this post
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #46
apartmentev

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
I mean yeah we like height because we're skyscraper enthusiasts here but the density of this project is actually quite good. This is a more intense use then Element or Skypoint for example. My only concern is 7,000 sq. ft. of retail sounds like it may only be on one or two sides of the building.
Yeah I saw that too. If you are going to include retail, then at least include a good footprint. Hell, two mixed use projects in Dunedin have 11,000 SF and 20,000 SF
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #47
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 129

This looks quite good i think. might be a little dwarfed in that area, but we all kinda expected that. Definitely 100% better use of the land than how it is now.
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #48
apartmentev

And don't forget, this is just a first render. They could always adjust the ugly ass concrete base.
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #49
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Yeah 7,000 seems too small of sqft for a project that takes up a whole block. Obviously a side will be dedicated to the parking ramps and area for deliveries and trash, but hopefully they don't designate a whole side for drop-off like a typical hotel has.
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #50
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by apartmentev View Post
Yeah I saw that too. If you are going to include retail, then at least include a good footprint. Hell, two mixed use projects in Dunedin have 11,000 SF and 20,000 SF
I guess we have to remember there will also be a hotel lobby, which contributes to an active streetscape and in a way acts like a retail storefront with (lots of) people going in and out.

Maybe the hotel will have a restaurant not included in the 7K of retail?

We'll have to see the site plan...

Jasonhouse liked this post
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #51
Brian72

Likes (Received): 948

Likely they will have a side for drop off, that is what a hotel needs.

They aren't going to give up that so someone who might want to stroll past it could have some neat place they may check out, one day...maybe.

Has anyone here been to NYC lately? I mean there are blocks all over that do not have ground floor retail, it's 'ok', really.

apartmentev liked this post
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #52
apartmentev

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
I guess we have to remember there will also be a hotel lobby, which contributes to an active streetscape and in a way acts like a retail storefront with (lots of) people going in and out.

Maybe the hotel will have a restaurant not included in the 7K of retail?

We'll have to see the site plan...
Yeah that's a good point. Active streetscape is more important than retail. There is nothing worse than empty retail in my opinion.
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:57 PM   #53
FloridaFuture

I contacted the city for a site plan, they said there is none currently available.

Hopefully they, you know, evaluated a site plan and not just a tower design.

Jasonhouse liked this post
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:57 PM   #54
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^Seriously!

At least they picked the developer URBN had highlighted as the best bet.

I'm not sure I like the street interaction, but I need to see the site plan. As for the looks or height, really not worried. The key is how the site functions at street level.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #55
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1347

Like others, I'm a little disappointed with the height of this tower as well, but I wonder if we will ever know the other proposals that were submitted before this one was selected.
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:59 PM   #56
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAWDA-FELLA View Post
Like others, I'm a little disappointed with the height of this tower as well, but I wonder if we will ever know the other proposals that were submitted before this one was selected.
Pretty sure they have to release all proposals, no later then 30 days after what the deadline to submit was.
Old September 29th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #57
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Oh and people here on SSC will ALWAYS get into height. We're not just urbanists here, we're skyscraper nerds too.

The question now will be, is the project worth the trade offs it presents? That's for city council to decide.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #58
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Oh and people here on SSC will ALWAYS get into height. We're not just urbanists here, we're skyscraper nerds too.

The question now will be, is the project worth the trade offs it presents? That's for city council to decide.
It should be approved, with some minor mods to cover the parking a bit better and make sure the retail is sufficient. Everything else is good.

Also, the property appraiser's site has this lots value at $2.7M and the purchase price for this deal is $7.5M.

$7.5M is huge coup for the city. Wasn't Related Trib's land four times the amount of land, on the water and barely double the price of this land?
Old September 29th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #59
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

This is more than what I expected, very pleased.
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #60
FloridaFuture

Another note on the purchase price, from the Times article:

Quote:
City Hall bought the land, previously the site of the Cold Storage Cafe, for $1.3 million in 1997. The Hillsborough County Property Appraiser has estimated its market value at about $2.7 million, but “it’s not throwing off any property tax revenue right now,” Buckhorn said in an interview Wednesday.
http://www.tbo.com/news/breaking-new...lion-20160929/

That's a very good return if they sell it for $7.5M now. City is getting a lot of money here. 19 years and getting 5.76 times what they originally paid for it.

densitymatters liked this post