search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #61
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Oh and people here on SSC will ALWAYS get into height. We're not just urbanists here, we're skyscraper nerds too.

The question now will be, is the project worth the trade offs it presents? That's for city council to decide.
Hey man I love skyscrapers too. They are awesome, but they are just eye candy in my opinion. Skyscrapers take forever to get right which is why most don't happen. Give me 10-20 any day.
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #62
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 329

All in all not bad, but I think ist a little bulky. I'd prefer the building a little terraced so it wouldn't dwarf City Hall as much. Also, I'd like to see a more unique top as well as a green wall on the side of the base. I've recently seen a building in Hong Kong that had a green wall and I really loved it. Would help with air quality, too.
gstolze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #63
USF802

Likes (Received): 662

The rejected proposals and their renderings and details are now up on TBBJ. I'm at work, otherwise would work on posting them all.

I like the Framework/Beck - Block 75 one. Had all the mixed use (hotel/res) and office and 7.3k retail and looked to have better base/pedestal. Reminded me to much of 500 Harbour Island though.

Last edited by USF802; September 29th, 2016 at 09:04 PM.
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #64
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3890

Another less blue rendering

Old September 29th, 2016, 09:09 PM   #65
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Well these weren't exactly the landmarks the city asked for...

But one of them was certainly a lot taller.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...k.html?ana=twt

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

Brian72 liked this post

Last edited by Jasonhouse; September 29th, 2016 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Deleted out pics since they were double posted
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #66
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF802 View Post
The rejected proposals and their renderings and details are now up on TBBJ. I'm at work, otherwise would work on posting them all.

I like the Framework/Beck - Block 75 one. Had all the mixed use (hotel/res) and office and 7.3k retail and looked to have better base/pedestal. Reminded me to much of 500 Harbour Island though.

Wow the Beck/Framework tower looks like the best one. What a shame.

The Mill Creek one is really bad. Look how it crowds city hall. What were they thinking. Only residential too.

Brian72 liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #67
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Wow the Beck/Framework tower looks like the best one. What a shame.

The Mill Creek one is really bad. Look how it crowds city hall. What were they thinking. Only residential too.

I'm sure Mill Creek just threw it out there. They really aren't a true mixed use developer.

The Block 75 is much better, but they only offered $2.5 million after deducting $3 million for the parking deck.

Money talks.
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #68
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

The Mill Creek building is backwards, both for crowding City Hall and for putting the pool in the shade most of the day.

Yeah, Framework's $2.5 million offer for the land was BS. I think the $7.5M from HRI is a bit low.

I'm already leaning towards the city should wait. All this does is competes with other private developers trying to get buildings out of the ground after considerable investment.
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #69
FloridaFuture

It should only be rejected if the city is prepared to enter into a public-private partnership to make something truly iconic with a developer.

I'm happy with the proposal they picked especially if they fix the aesthetics a little bit. The intensity they have planned is good.

Brian72, Tampa'sTime liked this post
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #70
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstolze View Post
All in all not bad, but I think ist a little bulky. I'd prefer the building a little terraced so it wouldn't dwarf City Hall as much. Also, I'd like to see a more unique top as well as a green wall on the side of the base. I've recently seen a building in Hong Kong that had a green wall and I really loved it. Would help with air quality, too.
Green wall sounds nice
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #71
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 329

I wonder why there are arial images of the rejected proposals integrated in the cityscape around it but not from the chosen project.

I actually like the base of the Framework Building but the top is dead ugly, and Mill Creek is just totally wrong layed out.

The winning project Looks best to me, they just need to be a Little more creative with the base. And I really would have liked if they had left a little open space in front of City Hall, so basically a small setback along half the block.

Brian72 liked this post
gstolze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #72
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I need to see the site plan.

And I don't think the intensity is really all that great for ground zero of the CBD. It's not bad, and could be a catalyst to clean up the Marion St corridor if it's played right, but if it isn't doing that, then I would rather keep the potential an empty block offers.

I don't like this competing with other private investment either. Gives this 5-7 years. They'll get a lot more money and a better building.
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #73
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
I need to see the site plan.

And I don't think the intensity is really all that great for ground zero of the CBD. It's not bad, and could be a catalyst to clean up the Marion St corridor if it's played right, but if it isn't doing that, then I would rather keep the potential an empty block offers.

I don't like this competing with other private investment either. Gives this 5-7 years. They'll get a lot more money and a better building.
The intensity compares favorably to Skypoint or Element does it not?

Doesn't seem like the market is there for a Feldman tower at this site.

But yeah we need to see the site plan. The city is bugging me by not having one available...
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #74
FloridaFuture

It seems like the whole Block 75 vs. HRI proposals comes down to does the city want $5M in cash more or $5M put into the design more?

Kinda disappointing to see them go with cash. Unless the city is like "this $5M is going towards a new park in downtown" I don't see why a not for profit govt would go with the cash. Lets see the city commit to spending that $5M on something like Kiley Gardens. Otherwise, Framework's offer was low but the tower looks significantly better.

NaqoyqatZ liked this post
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #75
FloridaFuture

Sorry for all the consecutive posts, but the Framework tower is significantly less intense in hotel and residential then the one chosen. That's a much more legit factor then cash in taking the one they did:

Framework is:

25 less apartments
100 or so less hotel rooms
Only 300 more sq. ft. retail
It does have 21,000 sq. ft. more office but how significant is that

Brian72 liked this post
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #76
Casey

Likes (Received): 211

And if 500 Harbour Island is any indicator of how much Framework will VE-down the final product from the one proposed, their Block 75 tower would not end up looking even that good, which is dubious at best IMO.

I like the winning proposal the best of the three.

densitymatters liked this post
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #77
Brian72

Likes (Received): 948

Agreed on the consensus...

Now, if this has a roof top amenity, I am 110% for it. That would be in the center of downtown and have an amazing 'future' 360 degree view.

BTW, anyone have the original 500 rendering?
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 11:18 PM   #78
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
And if 500 Harbour Island is any indicator of how much Framework will VE-down the final product from the one proposed, their Block 75 tower would not end up looking even that good, which is dubious at best IMO.

Good point.

I like the winning one the best as well. To me, Tower 75 looks like an eyesore. The base and height are nice but I much prefer the design of the winning proposal.
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #79
FloridaFuture

For the winning proposal:

Quote:
HRI's proposal estimates a total project cost of $120 million. The hotel would occupy floors six through 11 and will include 9,600 square feet of meeting space, a 22,000-square-foot rooftop pool, cabana, fitness center and poolside bar.

The residential units — built with condominium-level finishes and private balconies — will be built on floors 12 through 21.

"Eleven penthouse units located on the 21st floor will provide tenants with the option for an even greater level of luxury and exclusivity," HRI wrote in its proposal.

The first five floors will be a 408-space parking structure that will provide one parking space for every apartment resident, as well as hotel parking and 127 exclusively designated public spaces for use by the city to replace the 90 spaces currently available on the site.

The ground level commercial space will be on North Marion Street and East Jackson Street and "will serve to further activate the North Marion Street pedestrian promenade and provide an additional destination stop along the Marion Street Transit Parkway," HRI wrote.
TBBJ updated their original story

densitymatters liked this post

Last edited by FloridaFuture; September 30th, 2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old September 30th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #80
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post

Great point. Plus they flipped the land they bought from the city in Ybor.