search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2016, 12:17 AM   #81
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3900

Buckhorn specifically said he didn't want flipping of this project.

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2016, 01:47 AM   #82
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 937

Somewhat off topic, but what other lots does the city own in downtown that lays bare?
Old September 30th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #83
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Buckhorn specifically said he didn't want flipping of this project.
They can definitely put it in the contract that the developer or related entity needs to hold for x amount of years and put it in a deed restriction. Happens a lot actually.
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 04:55 PM   #84
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 129

So... are they going to be condos or apts. on the top 12 floors? I think if this is bringing condos to downtown that would be significant
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #85
FloridaFuture

DOWNTOWN TAMPA | Hyatt Centric and Residences | 21 stories | 225 units | 223 ...

The Times updated their article:

Quote:
HRI expects to start building the $120.8 million tower in the third quarter of 2017. Construction will create 527 jobs. Once the building opens in May 2019, its lobby oriented toward City Hall and nearby office towers, it will have a staff of 174.

HRI, Leonhard said, is one the few companies around that operates hotels and apartments in one operation. In Tampa, both renters and hotel guests will be able to use the rooftop pool over the parking garage, order room service or dry cleaning and charge food and beverages to their rooms or rental accounts. Apartment rents are projected to be $1,900 a month for one bedroom, $2,900 a month for two bedrooms and $3,700 a month for 11 top-floor penthouse apartments.
Quote:
Once built, the 258-foot-tall tower is expected to generate about $300,000 a year in property taxes to the city, McDonaugh said.
Quote:
Along with Hyatt, HRI's project team includes Baker Barrios Architects, general contractor DPR Construction, Capital One and Tampa real estate broker Jeannette Jason of Cushman & Wakefield.
Quote:
Originally, the city asked for any project to include about 200 spaces in its garage for use by the city.

After all the developers said that would create a hardship, the city agreed to accept fewer spaces, said Bob McDonaugh, Tampa's top development official.

HRI is offering to give the city exclusive use of 127 spaces — more than the 90 spaces now on the site.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...illion/2295721

Last edited by FloridaFuture; September 30th, 2016 at 11:13 PM.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #86
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 178

How much of a hardship can 73 more spaces really be? I know it gets more expensive the higher you go, but is it really that much?
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 04:49 AM   #87
FloridaFuture

Another random tidbit:

Quote:
There will be a restaurant, though developers haven't determined which one, as well as a street-corner Starbucks.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...illion/2295721
Old October 1st, 2016, 04:51 AM   #88
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaqoyqatZ View Post
How much of a hardship can 73 more spaces really be? I know it gets more expensive the higher you go, but is it really that much?
It was probably more that they didn't want to do as opposed to not being able to do it.

The current lot is only about 90 spaces so the city is still netting 40 spots here. And in a structure to boot.

I for one welcome less parking and a smaller parking base. The city can take their cash and find another parking solution elsewhere if they really need it.
Old October 1st, 2016, 10:36 AM   #89
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaqoyqatZ View Post
If it means having to add another whole floor to the parking level, then it could cost a million or more, depending how big the floorplates are for the parking levels.

I still need to read up more, but it sounds like the matrix of trade offs between the various proposals was fairly complex, in part because the proposals didn't necessarily follow the city's requirements in various ways.

Did they release some sort of scoring or anything like that?
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 05:24 PM   #90
FloridaFuture

The only thing the city released so far was the press release announcing the winner.
Old October 1st, 2016, 06:34 PM   #91
Mark G

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
If it means having to add another whole floor to the parking level, then it could cost a million or more, depending how big the floorplates are for the parking levels.

I still need to read up more, but it sounds like the matrix of trade offs between the various proposals was fairly complex, in part because the proposals didn't necessarily follow the city's requirements in various ways.

Did they release some sort of scoring or anything like that?
I think the scoring consisted of who offered the most for the lot.

"Let's see...HRI offered $7.5 million, Mill Creek $5 million, and Block 75 offered $2.5 million. Ok HRI it is!"
Mark G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 06:38 PM   #92
FloridaFuture

Intensity of use seems to of been taken into account too. HRI is the most intense of the 3.

Like I said, tough to turn down the most money + the densest use.

Jasonhouse liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 09:54 PM   #93
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

Not really. Why give up land if it is not optimal? It's not like there aren't enough private lots to fill.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.

smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 10:52 PM   #94
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

That's what I don't get. So they RFPed the block, the bids are underwhelming. City council really needs to say thanks but no thanks and move on.
Old October 1st, 2016, 11:14 PM   #95
Mark G

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
That's what I don't get. So they RFPed the block, the bids are underwhelming. City council really needs to say thanks but no thanks and move on.
Hopefully there's something we don't know here. But I don't think my of these projects was destined to be the "new crown jewel of our skyline" as Mayor Bob sold it in the RFP. And $7 million doesn't really go very far, so I'd agree they could say no thanks and try again later. I'm not saying it won't be a nice project, and the high-end hotel rooms downtown are a plus, but I think we were all expecting more than 21 stories here.

Mark G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 01:29 AM   #96
FloridaFuture

DOWNTOWN TAMPA | Hyatt Centric & Residences | 21 stories | 258 feet | 225 uni...

Crown jewel was never going to happen. The mayor can say that until he's blue in the face it's not going to change the market conditions that require crown jewel. Honestly, I was surprised how tall Framework's proposal was.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 02:01 AM   #97
USF802

Likes (Received): 664

It's almost has if they were afraid to encroach on/block the SunTrust Ziggurat, even Block 75 seemed to stop just near-ish the base of the light base, maybe something they all factored in?

21 Stories isn't even close, but the Framework one is.
USF802 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 04:13 AM   #98
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 329

That's what I like because I really love how the SUnTrust Building lends character to that part of downtown.
gstolze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 04:49 AM   #99
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

7000sqft of ground floor commercial. I can name several much smaller projects elsewhere which feature that much or more. Like the Alitis Grand Central. Both urban mixed-use projects in Seminole Heights, etc.

7k sqft is the best for commercial space we can get ? On a block with City Hall on one side, a transit mall on another, and is about to have protected bike lanes on yet another? The worst side is Kennedy Blvd... 7k sqft? Really?

They need to beef this up, or the city should move on and not potentially cannibalize other private projects.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 04:55 PM   #100
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 93

I read it differently. I thought they meant they would have a restaurant, Starbucks and an additional 7k commercial. (I agree if only 7k total, too little)

I would guess the restaurant will include a lounge/bar area.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote