daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2016, 06:46 PM   #101
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4043

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat212 View Post
I read it differently. I thought they meant they would have a restaurant, Starbucks and an additional 7k commercial. (I agree if only 7k total, too little)
That's not usually how it works.

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:35 PM   #102
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
7000sqft of ground floor commercial. I can name several much smaller projects elsewhere which feature that much or more. Like the Alitis Grand Central. Both urban mixed-use projects in Seminole Heights, etc.

7k sqft is the best for commercial space we can get ? On a block with City Hall on one side, a transit mall on another, and is about to have protected bike lanes on yet another? The worst side is Kennedy Blvd... 7k sqft? Really?

They need to beef this up, or the city should move on and not potentially cannibalize other private projects.
See I agree with you on this one
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:35 PM   #103
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 333

Well, don't forget the Hotel needs a lobby and the rental part, too. Add access to the garage and a loading dock. Since the City blocks are rather small in Tampa I don't think you can add much more retail. And I don't think that retail on the second level won't work.

Tampa'sTime liked this post
gstolze está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 04:04 AM   #104
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
That's not usually how it works.
I will help you out... WE DO NOT HAVE ACTUAL PLANS. it was an article from a journalist. Of course Journalists know everything and report all that is confirmed correct. .. but MAYBE it could have been reported INCORRECTLY!!!

We don't have the papers yet but project is.. shit! for not enough commercial.

Just Postin??
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 04:42 AM   #105
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Likes (Received): 744

I'm okay with another major hotel near TCC. It'll help lure more development into downtown. Just saying.

FloridaFuture liked this post
Szemeredy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #106
FloridaFuture

The land sale was approved by council today:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...el-and/2306425
Old December 16th, 2016, 03:22 AM   #107
FloridaFuture

^Times updated the article a bit:

Quote:
HRI's offer was the highest of three bids and is higher than the value suggested by two appraisals commissioned by the city. One put the block's value at $6.85 million, the other at $4.41 million.

Bob McDonaugh, the city's top development official, said he knew of no downtown block that has sold for as much. By comparison, the 900 block of N Franklin Street, where the Atlanta development firm Carter is now building a 23-story apartment tower, sold for $6.4 million in 2015.

Under the terms of the deal, the city will get $4.5 million in cash. Officials have agreed to wait 10 years or until the property is transferred, whichever comes first, for the remaining $3 million.

Construction is expected to start in August or September, with the $121 million project opening in early 2019.
Old December 16th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #108
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 189

Nice. Sounds like this one will move along quickly.
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #109
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^Virtually all developers give the same generic timelines. For example, there are multiple projects in Tampa that should be finished by now according to the developers, and they haven't even broken ground yet.

What matters here is the time limit the city gave them to build or break the deal.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 07:36 PM   #110
FloridaFuture

If you all want to watch the city council meeting on this, item number 69:

http://65.49.32.148/Presentation/Tam...d-d41598975a7b

You need Microsoft Silverlight though. :/

The site is contaminated and part of the deal is HRI has to clean it.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 10:45 PM   #111
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

The cleanup won't be a significant expense relative to the project. Like a few tenths of a percent of buildout value.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 02:03 PM   #112
NaqoyqatZ

What kind of contaminants? What was there before?
Old February 7th, 2017, 12:43 AM   #113
FloridaFuture

Newly announced 10 foot wide protected bike lane with 4 foot barriers is going to run right in front of this project on Jackson. Luckily it's on one of the sides of the building that will have retail.

Article here:

http://www.bikewalktampabay.org/feat...owntown-tampa/

Thread on the bike lane here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post138196663

Rendering

Old February 7th, 2017, 04:45 AM   #114
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Newly announced 10 foot wide protected bike lane with 4 foot barriers is going to run right in front of this project on Jackson. Luckily it's on one of the sides of the building that will have retail.

Article here:

http://www.bikewalktampabay.org/feat...owntown-tampa/

Thread on the bike lane here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post138196663

Rendering

I am really excited for this. As someone who drives and cycles it very often, this is going to be a blessing. There is a bike lane currently on it, but cars are FLYING down this road at any given hour. It is kinda unnerving when youre on a bike going on this street. Looks really terrific... and finally something that FDOT got right.
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #115
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbo View Post
I am really excited for this. As someone who drives and cycles it very often, this is going to be a blessing. There is a bike lane currently on it, but cars are FLYING down this road at any given hour. It is kinda unnerving when youre on a bike going on this street. Looks really terrific... and finally something that FDOT got right.
I guess I am the only one to be very annoyed about this move.

- There is another two way cycle track to the north of this one by
- It doesn't connect to the Channel District where half the users for this would come from
- Two-way bike lanes are being phased out in europe precisely because they are less safe.

But most of all:
More people walk on this street than even drive it. Yet sidewalks stay the same width and even continue to have big palm trees bisecting them for no good reason making it even harder to walk there.

When people bemoan coordination this is what we talk about. This could be part of a east/west one way pair on Kennedy and expanding the sidewalk. Instead this is about creating a test case and pretending like they care about urbanism instead of meeting the needs of this corridor and every other corridor. And now the development of the retail is limited instead of seeing an expansion of public space in front of it ...

http://newtotampa.tumblr.com

Jasonhouse liked this post
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 12:47 AM   #116
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^This.

And so everyone knows, FDOT D7 was dragged into this kicking and screaming. They are no community partner.
Old February 8th, 2017, 03:38 AM   #117
NaqoyqatZ

So, are you unhappy with FDoT for not being a community partner and reluctantly building a project neither they nor you wanted? I'm not trying to be a contrarian here, but it seems a lot of people have been wanting something like this. I'm also not saying I think this is necessarily the best way to build bike lanes in the inner city, but what do you want them to do?
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #118
Brian72

Likes (Received): 966

Same old complaints....so if we were talking about laying down rail, the last concern would be if it connects to anything lol....
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #119
kmthurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaqoyqatZ View Post
So, are you unhappy with FDoT for not being a community partner and reluctantly building a project neither they nor you wanted? I'm not trying to be a contrarian here, but it seems a lot of people have been wanting something like this. I'm also not saying I think this is necessarily the best way to build bike lanes in the inner city, but what do you want them to do?
People have been wanting this that is why the city built one four blocks north covering the same areas ... But why this FDOT has a million plans for bikes they could execute and never have. And when they do they shift them to where it saves some money, but make less sense to do.

I want them to stop looking for a solution in search of a problem. We need an network of bike infrastructure and a the river and the county/state bridges are the only way to do that. Or a whole new bridge. There are no North/South connections aside from the riverwalk and they own most of the streets that make sense for that as well. This is the worst place to put this only four blocks south of the same type of infrastructure (unless your goal is to force the city to end their Green Spine plan and widen Nucio for your express lanes ... jk ... or maybe not).

So in short I want them to: Either find the best place for your test case (which likely would have been Florida going all the way to Seminole Heights) and actually test by going tactical first or solve the problem that a specific corridor has by analyzing first, designing second.

Old February 9th, 2017, 12:33 AM   #120
kmthurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
Same old complaints....so if we were talking about laying down rail, the last concern would be if it connects to anything lol....
If I was around in 2002 I would have told them the placement street car tracks are dumb. That it should have utilized North in a line or to West Tampa and add up-zoning with it. Instead half the build able area around a station is in the water. And it doesn't even connect with the rest of the system (even duplicated an existing line).

This is very similar. Isn't solving the main problem, isn't in the right place, doesn't connect and is duplicative. I am telling them this is kinda dumb. In the end everyone will benefit, but it isn't the best use of first dollars and slows us down from building a network. Be better.