search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2017, 05:37 AM   #121
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 937

I would rather have them invest in the Selmon Greenway than do this. Another issue is what I would probably consider the western terminus of this bike lane. There is no easy connection from the Riverwalk to this bike lane. The intersection at Ashley and Jackson already makes it difficult for bikes to safely make it across Ashley to get onto this bike lane, but so does the porte-cochère for the Sheraton. Honestly probably the worst eat-west street to place a bike lane.

I would rather see major sidewalk improvement along Jackson, especially on the northern side of Jackson. It's actually funny that they used that area of Jackson for the render when you can even tell by the rendering how much little space any pedestrian has walking on the sidewalk between the garage there and the street. Everyone should go to Google Maps and see for themselves how little walking space exists when you include the streetlights, palm trees, and trash bins that clutter the area.

Heck, even Kennedy would had been a better placement than Jackson. Is there any public comments or meetings on this plan? Who can we write to the city to oppose this?

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #122
Califlorida

Likes (Received): 8

I'm extremely excited for the bike lane. As someone who lives over in Channelside but works on the other side of the city I'll be using this almost every day. Driving downtown stinks, but walking in the summer would make me stink. Also, I don't know if anyone else has tried using the current bike lane on Jackson, cause I have feared for my life riding on there - this will be a major improvement. Kennedy Blvd is way too congested in the mornings to take away a lane and use it for bikes, whereas Jackson is comparatively underutilized. Upgrading the Greenway would be great, but an inefficient way to travel as you have to cross a bunch of streets. I do agree that the river access is not ideal - especially for someone like myself who will be crossing the river. However, riding in-lane on that part of Ashley in order to get down to MacDill Park will not be bad at all. Given that the SPP is putting in 3269 feet of bike lanes on the southern part of town I'm looking forward to seeing a functional bike grid in place by 2020.

Brian72 liked this post
Califlorida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #123
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

I have a catchphrase I've been using for transportation planning in the area. Best practices or bust. If other cities get it right the first time, then so can we.

This isn't best practices. This is a standalone segment that was not conceived with a greater vision for a cohesive network in mind. It's basically a political stunt, because FDOT is under withering pressure due to the TBX clusterf*ck.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:56 PM   #124
Brian72

Likes (Received): 949

So, building a high speed rail from Orlando to Tampa without any cohesive network in mind was a great investment and adding a real bike line with curbs ( as I have seen supported by each opposing this on other free standing roads in downtown ) all of a sudden isn't just makes me realize how so many people despite their knowledge aren't very pragmatic in their thinking...

Regardless of the network, cutting through downtown with a free standing bike lane can easily be added to as the city continues to improve on their pedestrian trails and pathways.

I get making the point or having a discussion about where this connects but to not support it just doesn't make and sense...
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #125
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
So, building a high speed rail from Orlando to Tampa without any cohesive network in mind was a great investment and adding a real bike line with curbs ( as I have seen supported by each opposing this on other free standing roads in downtown ) all of a sudden isn't just makes me realize how so many people despite their knowledge aren't very pragmatic in their thinking...

Regardless of the network, cutting through downtown with a free standing bike lane can easily be added to as the city continues to improve on their pedestrian trails and pathways.

I get making the point or having a discussion about where this connects but to not support it just doesn't make and sense...
The high speed rail would spurred tons of growth. It would be mostly tourists using it at first, but they would have an option to stay in one city or the other and still visit both. Every time I have ever gone to Orlando as a tourist I never used my car. There were shuttles leaving hotels constantly for the theme parks. IIRC, Disney offered to build something at the Orlando terminus to assist travelers in getting to the parks/hotels.

I agree Tampa has problems with how spread out it is and getting visitors to their destinations without a car. This project could have been the kick in the pants the region needs to build a centralized multi-mode transport hub. There would have been plenty of time as they would probably still be building the rail. With proper zoning and future growth of both metros, it could very well have been a boon for locals. But hey, let's just pay for other states to have it, because that's an even better plan...

TampaMike, gstolze liked this post

Last edited by NaqoyqatZ; February 10th, 2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: grammar
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #126
Tallaman87

Likes (Received): 3

Well connected high speed rail might spur development surrounding its stations, but the HSR that Gov Scott declined funds on would have costed taxpayers more than it was worth. All Aboard Florida's Brightlines has Tampa in its sights for future expansion and, as a private company funding its own construction and taking the risk, it is a much better option.

Brian72 liked this post
Tallaman87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #127
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallaman87 View Post
Well connected high speed rail might spur development surrounding its stations, but the HSR that Gov Scott declined funds on would have costed taxpayers more than it was worth. All Aboard Florida's Brightlines has Tampa in its sights for future expansion and, as a private company funding its own construction and taking the risk, it is a much better option.
Any future costs would have been worth it even if they were as high as the Scott folks were touting. You let me know when I-4 posts a profit.
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 08:12 AM   #128
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 93

bs, never would happen. We were getting 2 billion.... ok.

California train.
http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...025-story.htmlj

I4 posts a profit...???? let me know when your street post a profit. Oh, maybe your driveway.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #129
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Likes (Received): 726

To be fair, Florida's not exactly mountainous, seismically active terrain. Everything costs orders of magnitude more when you build anywhere near major fault lines, let alone tunneling.

... though I was also against FHSR at the time, for different reasons. Our local transit networks aren't up to snuff to support long distance rail, and with the threat of FTA formula cuts looming and no increase in local funding, likely won't be for many years to come. HART is already expecting some level of fixed route service cuts over the next year or two under the Trump administration. JTA, LYNX and MDT are funded enough to support rail. PSTA and HART are not.

Anyway, offtopic.

Brian72 liked this post

Last edited by Szemeredy; February 11th, 2017 at 09:52 AM.
Szemeredy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #130
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Let's get back on topic and the discussions on HSR and the bike lane can continue in their respective threads.

FloridaFuture liked this post
TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 02:57 AM   #131
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

This goes before the city council tomorrow for the transaction of the site to HRI Properties.
Old May 4th, 2017, 05:34 AM   #132
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3900

They already approved the transaction. This is merely to extend the inspection period.

TampaMike liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 06:43 AM   #133
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
They already approved the transaction. This is merely to extend the inspection period.
Thanks for the clarification
Old July 10th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #134
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3900

Quote:
New Orleans developer wants more time before closing on vacant lot in downtown Tampa
Jul 10, 2017, 12:11pm EDT Updated Jul 10, 2017, 1:37pm EDT

Ashley Gurbal Kritzer
Senior Reporter
Tampa Bay Business Journal

The New Orleans developer selected by the city to develop a publicly owned vacant lot in downtown Tampa needs more time before it can close on the site.

Tampa City Council on Thursday will consider an amendment to the sales agreement between the city and HRI Investments, which was entered into in December 2016, extending the close date until Dec. 29, 2017.

HRI won the bid to develop the vacant-owned lot at 405 E. Kennedy Blvd. in September 2016 with a proposal to build a mixed-use 21-story tower on the site that will include 225 residential units, a 223-room Hyatt Centric Hotel, 7,000 square feet of commercial space and retail space and a 408-car garage.
more here

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...imebefore.html
Old July 10th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #135
Dale

Likes (Received): 5445

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Man, aside from the promise of Water Street Tampa, things are just grinding for downtown.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #136
Brian72

Likes (Received): 949

There is still a lot of projects not completed and others just wrapping up.

I am very optimistic with Water Street just getting off the ground, I can imagine all the future prospects to come....surely we will see properties sitting idol now will become highly sought after once some progress has been made near Channelside.

Better projects will come then, taller and more multi use...anything else rushed won't be what many here are looking for. That said, I am willing to wait a little myself.
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #137
mike1115

From what I remember reading the city is using the property for storage during city hall renovations so that's making it difficult for them to do a proper environmental assessment of the property. I'm not very worried about the delay for this project.
mike1115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 06:23 PM   #138
Tampa'sTime

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Man, aside from the promise of Water Street Tampa, things are just grinding for downtown.

I'm not sure what you mean by grinding. Even without Water Street we have three 20+ story towers underway and three additional lower strung 300+ unit projects, a 25 acre riverfront park, retail sprouting all over, and the creation of a new district w/ a 72,000 SF historic market at its heart. I would say we are 'grinding' away handsomely with a number of projects planned to break in the coming months. Frankly, if I were a developer I would wait for this new wave of supply to settle before committing to another $100mm+ project or, at the very least, sufficiently complete my environmental due diligence before closing on a $7.5mm site that previously contained a gas station..

Brian72 liked this post
Tampa'sTime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #139
Dale

Likes (Received): 5445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa'sTime View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by grinding. Even without Water Street we have three 20+ story towers underway and three additional lower strung 300+ unit projects, a 25 acre riverfront park, retail sprouting all over, and the creation of a new district w/ a 72,000 SF historic market at its heart. I would say we are 'grinding' away handsomely with a number of projects planned to break in the coming months. Frankly, if I were a developer I would wait for this new wave of supply to settle before committing to another $100mm+ project or, at the very least, sufficiently complete my environmental due diligence before closing on a $7.5mm site that previously contained a gas station..
By grinding I mean comparatively little change, compared to other major Southeast cities the last several years.

NaqoyqatZ liked this post
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #140
mike1115

I would agree that for a city the size of Tampa's with such a great population increase in our metro area, 58K in a single year, there's not much going on downtown relative to the entire metro area. It may seem like a lot compared to what we've been used to but right now there's one tower crane in downtown and the last 500 foot plus building in the entire area was built in 1992. We're definitely on the right track albeit a slow one. Unfortunately our sprawling lifestyle choking ways continue with most of that growth either out past Riverview or along the 54 corridor. For every one new building/project downtown there are probably 20-25 sprawled neighborhoods.

NaqoyqatZ liked this post
mike1115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote