search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2016, 12:35 AM   #21
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

The sacrifice of a 2nd lobby is more than made up for with other operational efficiencies. Occupancy and profitability are both higher. Plus the savings on development costs are significant.

But yes, unless they elevate one of the lobbies, then street frontage is significantly sacrificed.

See here...

Rise of the two-in-one hotel

By Jill Becker, Special to CNN
Updated 4:08 PM ET, Tue June 10, 2014

Quote:
A dual-branded hotel -- or "two-pack" as it's called in the industry -- is a property that contains two different hotel brands from within the same hotel family in a singular location. At the aforementioned Marriott in Midtown Manhattan, for example, guests can stay at either the Courtyard hotel occupying floors 6 through 33, or at the Residence Inn found on floors 37 through 65.

"Either brand could have done fine on its own here," said Marriott's CEO Arne Sorenson at the hotel's ribbon cutting, "but this gives us the opportunity to tap into two distinct types of customer feeds."

"Instead of filling up its 639 rooms with just one brand, we can fill it up with two," said hotel developer and owner Harry Gross.

The possibility of attracting different target demographics is one of the advantages spurring this growing trend. It's also cheaper for hoteliers.

"Dual-branded hotels are designed to maximize resources while minimizing costs for owners and developers," said Ian Carter, the president of global development for Hilton Worldwide.

"The most notable benefits to hoteliers are the operational efficiencies and cost savings gained by combining certain areas of the hotel, such as laundry, storage, and employee facilities, and combining the roles of various team members," Carter said. "Owners can also save money on the land costs, since the model has a smaller footprint."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/09/travel/hotel-two-pack/
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #22
Tampa'sTime

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
The site plan says "Hampton Inn & Home 2 Suites." I'm not familiar with Home 2 Suites. Anyone?
Stayed at Home2 in Nashville for a weekend. Pretty impressed, I'd stay again.
Well priced too.
Tampa'sTime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #23
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Update with the city, includes elevations now and they made renderings public.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...l.html?ana=fbk

Old December 19th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #24
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3889

CHANNEL DISTRICT | Meridian Hampton Inn/Home 2 Suites | 9 stories | 241 rooms | PRP

Other than the glass corner, looks VE'd to the max.

Jasonhouse liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #25
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Yeah on URBN, I said we would like to see the design spiffed up a bit, but that we support the project.
Old December 20th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #26
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Site plan:

No elevations yet.
I am curious as to why they would not bury the parking under the building, especially during the summer when those wonderful 4PM storms roll through. plus, it would add more height and allow for more rooms and profit.
Old December 20th, 2016, 05:59 PM   #27
Brian72

Likes (Received): 948

Well, it does look Channelsidish...for what that is worth...
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #28
FloridaFuture

Liberty Group sent me better renderings:

densitymatters liked this post
Old December 20th, 2016, 08:14 PM   #29
FloridaFuture

^Wish they would spruce up the Meridian side of the building a little bit, the Kennedy side won't look too bad though.

Nice to see the Starbucks is outward-facing though.

Last edited by FloridaFuture; December 20th, 2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old December 20th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #30
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I don't understand the point of adding an architectural detail that looks like an overhang, but not actually adding a functional overhang. I'm sick of generic designs suited to a northern climate being built here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamobster21 View Post
I am curious as to why they would not bury the parking under the building, especially during the summer when those wonderful 4PM storms roll through. plus, it would add more height and allow for more rooms and profit.
The parking is covered by parking above it. Going below grade on this site would cost more than it's worth to add the parking spaces. Cheaper to go up.

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

gstolze liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2016, 08:20 PM   #31
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 129

Wish the top of the parking garage was a pool deck/open air restaurant/bar/anything besides parking.

That is prime real estate when it comes to the view of downtown that's going to provide.
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:15 PM   #32
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Nation View Post

That being said, I really, really, really wish it wasn't a low tier Hilton branded hotel. A Hyatt Place or Hyatt House would be a much better brand -- a higher level affordable hotel.
Won't happen until there is more office in the Channel District.

This project is perfectly sufficient to serve the needs of the residents of the Channel District and their guests.

Jasonhouse liked this post
Old December 25th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #33
Buckeye Nation

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Won't happen until there is more office in the Channel District.

This project is perfectly sufficient to serve the needs of the residents of the Channel District and their guests.
Having more office in the Channel District has little to with hoping it wasn't a low-tier Hampton Inn hotel. I spend close to 100 nights a year in hotels. I know what brands bring which consumers, and this isn't the brand I want in Channelside. This wasn't a plea for a W, JW or Four Seasons -- it was a plea to not have a low rate hotel in a blossoming neighborhood I live in.
I don't see this kind of acquiescence when we talk about the Tampa Tribune site, which is perfectly sufficient to serve the needs of the residents across the bridge in this manner of speaking.
Buckeye Nation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2016, 08:56 AM   #34
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Yeah, but getting a higher tier hotel has plenty to do with having visitors with a higher budget to spend on their hotel room. More corp HQs for example. Or higher end cruises and conventions, etc. The district's residential visitors aren't high end enough. Hence you get a mid-tier budget offering.

Difference with the Trib site is it's a special site. Kennedy and meridian is pretty important too, and I personally think this project is leaving too much allowable density on the table.

If the district wants to do something for itself here, maybe discuss asking the city to pass an ordinance regulating DT hotels being used as a college dorm for either UT or the coming USF campus nearby,.

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

saerdna99 liked this post

Last edited by Jasonhouse; December 25th, 2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old December 25th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #35
FloridaFuture

I don't think it's a slight on the Channel District's quality that it's "only" getting a Hampton Inn/Home 2 Suites, it's a comment on the district's overwhelmingly primary use: residential.

The Channel District is a residential and retail zone, and a good one, but those two uses don't require or support high end hotels.

The port and Vinik will bring a higher end hotels anyway...

NaqoyqatZ, Jasonhouse liked this post
Old December 26th, 2016, 02:32 AM   #36
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

And it's the first hotel, it ain't gonna be the 4 star hotel no other part of the city can get yet either.
Old December 26th, 2016, 06:32 AM   #37
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

I think my main issue is just the exit location of the garage. Places it right at the intersection of Jackson and Meridian. So many safety situations created by the placement and I would like to have just one interference in the sidewalks and not two. But the safety issue is my main.

1) There is no light for that section of the intersection. So any car is going to risk leaving the garage where they see an opportunity.

2) Nothing is preventing a driver from trying to go south from the exit. The exit's placement is right pass the white line on the north lanes of Meridian if I'm matching up the renderings to lot placement correctly. Anyone leaving to go south will technically be going the wrong waysince there is no westbound lanes on Jackson.

3) There will be only a small amount of distance and time to get to the left turn lanes to get on Kennedy. The intersection at Meridian and Kennedy is already a mess with the bunch of drivers that fail to get in the right lane of Jackson and then have to force themselves to the right to get in the right turn from Meridian to Kennedy. Of course they can use Twiggs if they miss getting over to get on Kennedy, but no driver likes missing their exit or turn lane.

Placing the exit in the same location as the entrance should be encouraged by both the city's planning department and the district's community alliance. Not only will it reduce the risk of potential accidents, but it will create space for another retail spot. Which, at this location, will be successful with the vehicle traffic and being right next to the white line for northbound Meridian.

Also find the pool placement weird. Considering they would have amazing views of downtown from there.
Old December 26th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #38
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

If they're going to have vehicle access on Meridian, they probably should have bought 211 Meridian, so that the driveway lines up with the intersection. I'm not even sure the rules will allow the driveway they propose along Meridian.
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:32 PM   #39
tampaguy75

Likes (Received): 92

Channelside residents received a "Good Neighbor Notice" for this project concerning a Substantial Change Review. I'm not sure if the information is anything new, but here it is:

FloridaFuture, Brian72 liked this post
tampaguy75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:21 AM   #40
FloridaFuture

New renderings and site plan. What is it with people and surface driveways like that today?

Room count was reduced to 216 from 241, the Starbucks is still there though.