daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #21
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Nice thing about Novare is you never have to wait for renderings!
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #22
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Nice thing about Novare is you never have to wait for renderings!

Yea because they just run those renderings through the copying machine. But seriously, the low prices of units for Novare and the copying of nice but non-risky building designs makes Novare a high percantage developer.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #23
John F

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelsideTitle View Post
Well...John F...you seem very pessimistic. Did you tune into Fox news tonight to here the mayor discuss on National Television the redevelopment efforts that are underway in downtown Tampa? according to this special downtown Tampa is "on the brink"!
You just cited Fox News as a source.

What was the Mayor supposed to say anyway? "We suck, we know it?" No elected official is supposed to paint a gloomy picture.

And for the record -- I am not pessimistic as so much a realist. Tampa isn't "On the brink". Tampa doesn't have a deadline of January 2009 to have developments done. Tampa has to work on a number of things for incoming residents and there are a number of roadblocks that can hurt the new residential developments in downtown.

I'm sorry if I am supposed to drink the Kool-Aid and masturbate while reading this forum, but some of you guys never look at the larger issues -- just the developments themselves.
Old October 18th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #24
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Quote:
Well...John F...you seem very pessimistic. Did you tune into Fox news tonight to here the mayor discuss on National Television the redevelopment efforts that are underway in downtown Tampa? according to this special downtown Tampa is "on the brink"!
Yeah but uhh, not to bring up another topic (as in, don't perpetuate it folks), but these are the same folks who brought us "fair and balanced" and carry on about the Iraq insurgency being in its "last throes"... I believe Faux Nooz about as much as I believe The Inquirer...
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #25
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:

It depends on what your definition of "IS" is....

Fox news is obviously lying! I drive through downtown everyday and can't see anything that we should be positive about.

Last edited by cwat212; October 18th, 2006 at 05:39 PM.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #26
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

hey, I was just having fun...

DT Tampa has indeed come a long, long way in the past 15 years... But considering where it was, that still doesn't exactly mean much.
Old October 18th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #27
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 95

so was I

I do however prefer the optimism and believe that Tampa may well be "ON THE BRINK"

On the brink of what? - a vibrant downtown that is open after 5pm, YES.

On the brink of a city like New York or Chicago? HELL NO and it will never be during my lifetime.

....therefore I referenced to Clinton's "IS" statement.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #28
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

By the end of the year, the Embassy Suites, The Arlington, 1000 Channelside and Residences on Franklin should all be occupied and/or open for business.

Add Skypoint, Grand Central, The Place, Ventana and Towers of Channelside next year and you've already got more construction downtown in 18 month's time than the previous 18 years (certainly residentially speaking).

I will be interested to see what happens to the following projects that are either in or nearing the sales process, and if they get built or not:
- 610 Franklin
- Element
- The Boulevard
- The Slade
- Blu Channelside
- The Martin
and, of course, the infamous Trump Tower Tampa.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #29
thehappysmith
Two-bit Hack

Likes (Received): 12

I think it's a bit silly to say Tampa might ever have anything more than an average downtown--and right now I don't think we have that, if we compare against our weight class (I mean, yeah, we got Erie and Flint beat, woohoo).
And bear in mind I already own my little slice of downtown and would be nothing if not a booster, since every new project and new announcement helps my home value. Every new development, Element included (ahem, bump) that appears to put Tampa "on the brink" is matched or exceeded by developments in other downtowns in our weight class. We're playing catch-up, and, like my other hometown Jacksonville, I don't imagine we'll ever get over playing catch-up (though I think Tampa even has a bit of climbing to do to catch Jax).

But I also think some of our "realists" really do lean a little past realism and into pessimism. Maybe that's experience; after all, I've only lived in Tampa for three years and change and it's been pretty exciting the whole time. Do I think every new project will get built? No. Will any new project suddenly be the switch that turns on the vibrant wonderful downtown neighborhood Mayor Afraid-of-airplanes wants? No. But neither need we be all doom and gloom. Tampa's politics is terrible and our downtown is way behind. But sometimes inertia plays a fairly big role--and if only the number of projects currently under construction plus Element (ahem, bump) get built, the amount of new residents in downtown will constitute enough of a power base to, perhaps, see some changes for the better.

Everything need not always be as it was in the past, nor is the future so bright you need to wear shades just to read this forum. I think there's reason for some optimism about Element, and whatever else Novare puts on the other lot, and perhaps the Wood Bros building, because what with the cost of housing in the burbs now, you spend more to live out in BFE in Seffner than you do to live in one of these towers. If you work in the central part of the city or are interested in the nightlife available, admittedly not in downtown but nearby, you have to give these projects consideration. I did, and I'm not rich by a long shot. I doubt I'll be alone, and I suspect Element will sell well if not spectacularly, well enough at least to encourage development of the third lot. More people living downtown will almost assuredly speed development of retail and commercial. I don't think we're about to take off, but we might just achieve a pleasant equilibrium for a few years. The success of Element is a part of that.
thehappysmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #30
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

Very well stated.
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #31
RiversideGator

Likes (Received): 3

I like the project. I wish Novare would do something in Jacksonville.
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #32
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4043

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversideGator View Post
I like the project. I wish Novare would do something in Jacksonville.

Jacksonville would be a city I would think they would build in. Atlanta, Tampa, Nashville, Austin, Charlotte, seems like a group Jax would fit into.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #33
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

I wouldn't mind if Novare took over an eyesore of a vacant six-acre lot in the middle of Orlando CBD. Lincoln appears to be poised to purchase it, but it's been vacant forever and I daresay no one could get it developed quicker than Novare.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #34
Tallaman

Likes (Received): 5

I like your comments HappySmith, and I'm not sure that we need to compare Tampa to anything but itself. We have to ask ourselves, "has Tampa improved since the last time we checked?" I remember when St Pete was the butt of many jokes, most of them relating to the number of old, northern people sitting on green benches in downtown. Now St Pete's reputation is 180 degrees different, but how does that stack up against other cities its size? I don't think it matters, I just know St Pete is way cooler than it was, and it is growing because of it. If Tampa is able to capitalize on the growth it has experienced by spurring improvements, that's all that matters. Whether it's better than Buffalo or Charlotte does not mean much to me. I just like to see the development improve the quality.
Tallaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:57 AM   #35
smiley

Likes (Received): 567

You guys seem to forget that the garage at Channelside that routinely gets filled with people who want to wander a bit was originally considered a white elephant (as was Channelside) and the big buildings over there have not even opened yet . . . that is downtown my friends - the big issue is filling in the gap between the east and west

IF you had been around and observing as long as I have, you would know all the wasrts but still be positive - at least there is more than there was. - do we need lots of things - yes - but we are getting somewhere.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #36
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 24

Happy, Talla and smiley are all right on point. You all offer food for thought...

b.t.w. has anyone heard when the Element project will break ground?
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #37
tampamobster21

In November. Same time or around when Six-Ten Franklin is going to get started as well.
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #38
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #39
tampamobster21

Me either, but it would be nice to have it happen.
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #40
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

I think it's interesting that while there may be a lot of activity on the edges of downtown (TBPAC, Conv Ctr, Times Forum, Channelside), the perception of 'nothing happening' remains because you can literally drive down Florida or Morgan on nights and/or weekends and barely see any sign of human life for blocks.

I believe this trend will continue somewhat, as most of the larger planned projects - Riverwalk, Art Museum, Trump Tower, and all the Channelside development - will still be on the perimeter. Even Skypoint is on Ashley, and the Franklin Street developments are only one block in.

While I certainly understand why developers would want to build next to the water, it would be interesting to ponder how different the downtown area would feel if some of the venues with higher activity and foot traffic (Performing Arts Center and Times Forum) were in the center of the CBD.

That being said, I see the ConAgra plant (and accompanying RR tracks) as a huge physical and psychological barrier to filling in between East and West downtown. Until that monstrosity is gone, there will always be a strong sense of separation IMO.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
downtown tampa, novare