search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #21
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 24

Wow...

I could have sworn this thread was related to Ybor City.
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #22
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 93

It is amazing how you can substitute "White" for "Black" in your previous post and it fits your latest comments.

[QUOTE=cee;10236344] if you have a problem with black people, then just come out and say it. QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee View Post
you guys are being ridiculous. what do you want Channelside to be? another haven for blonde-haired, SUV-driving, Soccer mom yuppy types? we have hyde park for that kind of bullshit.

Last edited by cwat212; October 27th, 2006 at 05:39 PM.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #23
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 937

I'm sorry cee, but the city will never let Channelside become another Ybor. That is what Ybor itself is for. Channelside is mostly about Family and tousists aimed, not for 40 year old drunkies that will swarm the streets at 11 am. Putting more clubs and bars would be a hell hole for Channelside and Harbour Island and Channelside residents will most likely block any kind of idea like that. I'm okay with the clubs that Channelside has now, but I for one will not allow Channelside become a disaster.
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #24
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^Nice how you imply that Ybor is somehow a disaster, when the only disaster is what the puritan crusaders have done to it, trying to "improve" it.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #25
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^Nice how you imply that Ybor is somehow a disaster, when the only disaster is what the puritan crusaders have done to it, trying to "improve" it.
I never said and never was aiming on saying that Ybor was a disaster. I'm just saying that Channelside would be a disaster for the city, because that is where a lot of the money comes in for the city. I don't want a shithole surrounding The Aquarium, St. Pete Times Forum, The Terminals, and all the development that is happening and going to happen, do you?
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #26
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^Then talk about it in the CHANNELSIDE THREAD and stop hijacking this one, because the way you're talking here, it sounds like you are directly bashing Ybor for having those very traits.
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #27
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

I respect you as a mod, but I'm getting tired of your constant flaming towards me.

1. I never made any note that I was referring to Ybor in my comments and was never willing to. I like Ybor in many aspects. It has historical values to Tampa and is a nice place to leave from the Main core of the city and just stroll around. And in my first post in this thread I was the same way.

2. I never brought this whole Channelside business in. I used it to compare Channelside to Ybor and how both should have their own identity. But cee is the one that brought the whole issue up. Funny thing is, I don't see you bickering at him.

3. This wouldn't be about me asking for a new mod for this forum, would it? I never said that you weren't a good mod. Everything was getting out of control and when I checked your post history it said April and thought you left. I didn't even realize that we had more than one mod modding this forum. If you think that I meant any way of saying you wee a bad mod or anything like that, although you shouldn't really care since it is just a forum, I'll take this time to say that I never meant.

I'll stop the Channelside talk, but don't be bias and pick only one person to blame, but everyone else that contributed to it. Or the person who started it.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:58 PM   #28
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3900

By RICH SHOPES The Tampa Tribune

Published: Oct 23, 2006

An Eye For I-4: Pools, Pedestals Highlight Ybor-Area Makeover

Ponds, fountains and brick-lined columns don't usually come to mind when you think of highway projects.

But that's what the Florida Department of Transportation is building as part of an $11.5 million makeover along the last stretch of Interstate 4 to be widened in Hillsborough County, just east of Malfunction Junction.

The department was on the hook to beautify the area because the road crosses Ybor City, a national historical landmark district.

The feds required noise barriers and enhanced landscaping to make the interstate compatible with the neighborhood. But state transportation officials say they've surpassed those requirements.

The result from North 14th Street to North 40th Street includes a near-football-field-sized decorative pool with a half-dozen fountains that will sit between North 21st and North 22nd streets and between the interstate's east-west lanes.

I-4 commuters undoubtedly have noticed the pedestal-style brick columns along the newly rebuilt stretch of highway.

Those are not support columns for statues or signs. Many will remain as they are, but some will anchor Victorian-style street lamps with globed lights.

Overpasses in the area will be decorated with dental crown molding and medallions that celebrate Ybor City's heritage, such as cigar rolling.

Decorative metal fencing will border the ponds. Palm trees and irrigated shrubbery will mark the landscaping.

"These elements have obviously added more work but they give a better look and feel than what you see when an interstate typically goes through an urban area," FDOT John McShaffrey said.

The city will maintain the enhancements.

The $162 million I-4 reconstruction project runs from North 14th Street to U.S. 41. The project is supposed to be completed by spring 2008. With incentives, it could be finished by next summer, McShaffrey said.

Reverse Commuting, Anyone?
Buried in a national study released last week by the Transportation Research Board, which works for the federal government, were a couple of facts that seem relevant.

So-called reverse commuting, from city to suburb, accounted for 9 percent of commutes in America in 1990. That percentage jumped to 20 percent in 2000.

I could see that happening here, with more people moving into cities and becoming part of the continued growth of the university area, West Shore and Brandon.

Second, the study says more people are leaving home earlier to get to work.

In 1990, 2.4 percent of workers left home before 5 a.m. By 2000, the number of early birds jumped to 11 percent.

Researchers say increased congestion is causing folks to leave earlier to avoid rush hour.

Get A Free Ride
The American Cancer Society is offering more free rides for folks headed to medical appointments.

The society has offered Hillsborough County residents free rides for years through a volunteer driver effort. In addition to that program, the society now is offering vouchers for people to get to appointments in taxis or buses.

"The problem we have is when we don't have a driver available, which happens occasionally. That's when this new program helps," said Peter Ryner, coordinator of the Southeast Hillsborough Road to Recovery program.

Widows and widowers make up much of the program's participants.

To learn more, or to volunteer as a driver, call (813) 254-3630. Ask for Chris Hubbard.

Got a gripe about your commute? Contact reporter Rich Shopes at (813) 259-7633 or [email protected]. Please include your full name, community and daytime phone number with e-mail. Look for commuter news on TBO.com, Keyword: Shopes.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBB9A09MTE.html
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:36 AM   #29
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

I have seen this first hand, but from the highway side it looks wierd because there are just these things protruding upwards from the wall.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:41 AM   #30
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 3873

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post

By RICH SHOPES The Tampa Tribune

Published: Oct 23, 2006

An Eye For I-4: Pools, Pedestals Highlight Ybor-Area Makeover
I actually read this article in the Tampa Tribune while waiting for my flight home. I remember seeing that construction Saturday night and noticing the sprucing up of the Interstate. It looked alright.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #31
FloridaFuture

Continuing my picture surge, here's my Ybor Pics, about 2 weeks old

Italian Club

Building on 7th

7th Avenue

Centro Ybor

Old December 19th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #32
tampabound

Likes (Received): 2

Great pics.

I haven't been on to the forums lately and just wanted to respond to the earlier posts from back in Oct. I understand why some people really dislike the Iorification of Ybor. I for one was one of those people. Living in Ybor has made me realize that the struggle that Ybor is undergoing is something like "growing pains".

The truth, as many of you have said, Ybor is not what it used to be. The nightlife has declined from its hayday in the mid-90s. But it was not because of the city's doing. Many factors had been contributing to the deterioration of the "scene". The money started to go other places (Channelside, International Plaza, South Howard) and what remained were nightclubs that target a younger, low-income, drunker crowds. That's when Ybor became notorious for crime. As one Tampa Trib article once said, Ybor went from an entertainment district to a drinking mall.

That is when the city came in. Ybor is a national historic landmark, and as one, Tampa's government wants to showcase it. They see the economic potential and recognize its cultural importance. Ybor cannot be supported by the bars alone. It needs to become a well-rounded living urban neighborhood. The goal of the city's policies (opening 7th for car traffic, noise and drinking ordinances, curfew, etc) are indeed geared to sanitize Ybor but not to the point that it will become Hyde Park. It needs to be clean enough so that it can attrack developers, retailers, firms looking for office space, and in general the people who want an urban lifestyle.

Believe me when I say this, the residents of Ybor city will raise up in arms if the city ever tries to make this like Hyde Park. We did NOT move here because we want family-friendly or squeaky-clean. Ybor has character and it has edge (and not at all "BORING"). City council and the Mayor understand this for the most part and we are constantly making sure they know it. In all I think Ybor is moving in the right direction...not quick enough, but it will get there.

Last edited by tampabound; December 19th, 2006 at 04:17 AM.
tampabound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #33
dmpeek77

Likes (Received): 2

well noted
dmpeek77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:08 PM   #34
FloridaFuture

Support this, anything to help out Centro Ybor.

Buyer Aims To Wake 'Sleeping Giant'
Skip directly to the full story.
By DAVE SIMANOFF and ELLEN GEDALIUS The Tampa Tribune

Published: Dec 23, 2006

TAMPA - A Chicago-based real estate investment group bought Centro Ybor on Friday, promising to inject new life - and, possibly, homes and offices - into the landmark Ybor City entertainment complex.

M&J Wilkow announced Friday that the company bought the 6-year-old retail, restaurant and entertainment center. The company says it's looking at the possibility of adding condos and office space.

The deal closed Friday afternoon. The purchase price and other terms weren't disclosed, nor did the company provide a timeline for renovation.

"We recognize the potential and value of this sleeping giant whose time has come to be a vibrant part of the community," David Harvey, a partner at M&J Wilkow, said in a statement.

Company officials didn't say how much office space or how many residential units they might consider for Centro Ybor.

The deal, which closed Friday afternoon, could launch a new chapter for the center, said Mark Huey, the city's economic development administrator.

"You'll now have an owner in place who will begin to invest in Centro Ybor in a way that it needs and hasn't seen before," Huey said. "We're excited to have new energy in Centro Ybor."

Huey said changes won't be immediate.

"We don't believe it's going to happen overnight," Huey said. "We know it's going to be a challenging turnaround. But we think we have the right owner with the right expertise."

When Centro Ybor opened in 2000, it had three owners: the two developers that partnered on the project - The Sembler Co., based in St. Petersburg, and Steiner + Associates of Ohio - and BVT, a German investment group.

Early this year, Sembler and Steiner sold their stakes in Centro Ybor to BVT. In the spring, BVT put the complex up for sale.

Officials Want To Transform Complex
Centro Ybor is a two-story, two-block, 211,957-square-foot entertainment center made up of two new buildings and the historic Centro Espanol on Seventh Avenue. Its tenant list includes Muvico Theaters, Tampa Bay Brewing Company, GameWorks and the Improv Comedy Theater & Restaurant.

City officials and developers hoped Centro Ybor would bring more people and activity to Ybor City. They also hoped it would fight Ybor City's reputation for parties and nightclubs by attracting a less raucous crowd to the area, including families.

As a tool to transform Ybor City, Centro Ybor hasn't been as successful as many predicted: most of its neighbors remain nightclubs and bars.

As a shopping and entertainment complex, Centro Ybor also has seen mixed success. Vince Pardo, Ybor City Development Corporation manager, can tick off a list of tenants that have left the complex.

Centro Ybor itself didn't prove enough of a draw for one of its main tenants, the Improv.

"We determined a long time ago, back as early as mid-2001, that we were going to have to market ourselves as a destination alone," said Bob Joyce, the comedy club's general manager.

"We realized we didn't have the foot traffic we had anticipated."

Project Operates In The Red
From a financial standpoint, Centro Ybor has been a dud. The city has had to make good on a $9 million loan guarantee because the original developer was unable to make payments.

The city says it pays $750,000 a year in debt service.

The project never has made money and operates at a $500,000 annual deficit. Although Centro Ybor cost about $49 million to develop, it may be worth only about $13.5 million.

The city hopes to benefit financially from the deal. It expects the property's value to grow to about $33 million if the buyer can turn it around. An increase in property value would generate more tax money for the city, which it could use to pay down the loan.

Cushman & Wakefield, a national real estate services firm, and Plaza Advisors, based in Tampa, represented BVT in the deal.

Kris Cooper, a senior vice president at Cushman & Wakefield, said interest among potential buyers was high. Like Huey, Cooper thinks Centro Ybor is in good hands with Wilkow.

"They're very good guys, they're very smart, and they know what they're doing," he said. "They have the retail creativity and the money behind them to do a wonderful job."

Wilkow is a newcomer to Florida, but it's an established player with a portfolio that stretches from Georgia to California. It owns 12 office properties and 24 retail centers, representing about 6 million square feet of space.

Tenants Respond
Vicki Doble, owner of Tampa Bay Brewing Company, moved her business from 15th Street to Eighth Avenue last month. She liked the ambiance of Centro Ybor and the nearby trolley stop.

In discussions with the new owner, she told him that the complex needs more entertainment, more marketing and a variety of unique shops.

"There are good places that attract people," Doble said. "We just need more of them."

Brian Cornacchia, owner of Big City Tavern, said he's already spoken with the new owners, "and they are a very forward-looking company."

Cornacchia said officials at Wilkow understand that any effort to improve Centro Ybor also includes a push to create a more inviting environment in the rest of Ybor City.

Reporter Ellen Gedalius can be reached at [email protected]r (813) 259-7679. Reporter Dave Simanoff can be reached at [email protected]

.com or (813) 259-7762.

CENTRO YBOR'S HISTORY
December 1996 - Developers Mel Sembler, of The Sembler Co., and Yaromir Steiner, of Steiner + Associates, announce a proposal to build a sprawling $40 million retail-dining-entertainment complex in Ybor City, called Centro Espanol Plaza.

October 1997 - Tampa City Council agrees to back a $10 million federal loan to help build the entertainment development, now called Centro Ybor.

August 1998 - Developers break ground on Centro Ybor.

September 2000 - Shortly before opening, Centro Ybor officials project that the effort will bring in about 2 million visitors a year.

October 2000 - The $45 million, 210,000-square-foot complex opens.

August 2001 - As three stores plan to open, two stores, Pacheco Art Gallery and bod.bodyknits, close.

January 2004 - A five-year financial agreement between the city and Centro Ybor expires and leaves taxpayers with a bill of more than

$16 million to pay off the loan that helped build the struggling retail complex.

January 2006 - The Sembler Co. and Steiner + Associates sell the center to BVT, a German-based investment company that also developed the center.

March 2006 - BVT puts Centro Ybor up for sale.

November 2006 - BVT proposes to sell Centro Ybor to Chicago-based M&J Wilkow for an undisclosed sum.

http://www.tbo.com/news/money/MGBSQT3D1WE.html
Old December 23rd, 2006, 04:48 PM   #35
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Sounds great. Hope this company can bring more life to the area. There has been a big slump in visitors in the pasts years,because many stores are closing and many people are heading to Channelside instead of there.

If they build condos that will be awesome aswell. I expect them to use the historic building for offices and maybe building the condos by scrap. I wouldn't mind a nice 11 story apartment/condo tower in the heart of Ybor
Old December 23rd, 2006, 05:43 PM   #36
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

I do not care about the number of stories, I care about getting anyform of life and activity into that area. With all of the residents moving downtown and into Y-Bor, I want it to be a almost self sustaining community.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:32 PM   #37
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPortRicheyGuy View Post
I wouldn't mind a nice 11 story apartment/condo tower in the heart of Ybor
I sure as shit would... And so would about 98% of Tampa's population.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM   #38
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPortRicheyGuy View Post
I wouldn't mind a nice 11 story apartment/condo tower in the heart of Ybor
If they could make it look like it came straight out of the early 20th Century and somewhat blend into Ybor i wouldnt mind either. But if they put up a cookie cutter stucco condo in that area i would oppose it fully.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 08:11 PM   #39
FloridaFuture

As long as they let the light to the street and make it blend into Ybor with brick facade, 11 stories sounds good. They should pack the units in to keep prices low. The more people they bring to live in the more customers for the retail, and that means higher density, hopefully cheaper units. If they do this right, it could be an important first step towards medium wealth development of residences for Ybor.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:12 PM   #40
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

LEt me make a prediction - there will NOT be an 11-story condo (or any other kind) building in the middle of Ybor . . . maybe 5 or 6 (more likely 5) but not 11

I think they mean to make some of the movie theaters condos - I really have no preference because there are movies a short streetcar ride away.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote