search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #81
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quegiebo View Post
Excuse me? Are you referring to my thread?
no, not at all.

There are two deleted posts between mine and yours... I take it that forumers cannot see the messages explaining this that should be in the place of the posts? (I see them)
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #82
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 94

we cannot see them.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM   #83
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3952

Give the proffesional some influence and they will come and make a more urban community as long as they keep the old buildings.

Generating New Life For Centro
Skip directly to the full story.
By JOSE PATINO GIRONA The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jan 20, 2007

YBOR CITY - Russell La Fuente was a member of Centro Asturiano de Tampa for decades, taking part in the social club's family activities and using its gymnasium.

But when the organization stopped offering anything he found interesting, La Fuente dropped his membership.

That was more than a dozen years ago. This week, La Fuente was back at Centro Asturiano, joining about 40 prospective members for a tour of the 1914 building and a lunch discussion of what the 105-year-old organization could offer.

He suggested forming a Centro Asturiano Gasparilla krewe to spur interest and publicity and boost revenue.

"They have to do something to bring people in," said La Fuente, 59, a retired Hillsborough County teacher. "They need to have activities for young people."

La Fuente said he is considering full membership in Centro Asturiano. He is a nonvoting member as a result of his membership in Los Caballeros, one of the club's auxiliary groups.

Centro Asturiano leaders are on a campaign to increase membership, especially among young professionals.

The organization has 400 members, but the average age is 72, said Al Frederick, who began this month as executive director.

"Older organizations have not renewed themselves for the younger generations," Frederick said.

Centro Asturiano de Tampa, named for the Asturias region in northern Spain, was founded in 1902 as a mutual aid society. It offered health and medical benefits, as well as social and recreational activities to its members.

During the Great Depression, it had the nation's only Spanish-language theater supported by the federal Works Progress Administration. Musicians including Andres Segovia and Ernesto Lecuona performed there. In the Centro's ballroom, Doris Day, Count Basie, Stan Kenton and Buddy Rich entertained audiences.

The organization also operated a hospital in Ybor City until 1990. It no longer offers medical benefits, a reason membership has fallen.

Today, members can use the club's cantina, and get discounts on programs and building rental for weddings and special events. They also have the right to be buried at Centro Asturiano Memorial Park, 5402 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Frederick, former president of the Tampa Bay Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, said he wants to double membership in a year. He is considering adding a movie screen to the 1,100-seat theater and rehabilitating the abandoned gym and racquetball court on the first floor of the building, 1913 N. Nebraska Ave.

He said he also wants to pursue suggestions from members.

"I think it would be a great thing to bring a club to its former glory," Frederick said.

Tuesday's luncheon produced suggestions such as: holding a Latin dance night; hosting networking socials; adding a recreation room; and offering programs to teach children about Spain and Latin America. Participants also discussed giving club members health care benefits, such as health screenings or medical discounts.

Michael Suarez, 42, joined the Centro in October because of his interest in preserving its history. He recalls his father, Mario, going there in the 1970s to play cards and dominoes. Two of his sisters had wedding receptions in the ballroom.

Suarez, who is heading the membership committee, wants to create a buzz in the hallways of the historical building.

"I want to help revitalize this place and make it relevant again," said Suarez, a risk management consultant for Wachovia Insurance Services.

He doesn't see Centro Asturiano ever shutting down.

"There are too many people that care about this building and this club," Suarez said.

http://southtampa.tbo.com/southtampa/MGBLREC55XE.html
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #84
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4056

Wow, I can't believe my photo thread is still going. The topic has turned to Ybor City developments and other general stuff, but I wouldn't have guessed I would be the one to get the ball rolling.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #85
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

there were others threads before it.... ths one just happened to cling to the top, because I let it wander topically speaking.
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #86
Urbanite

Likes (Received): 10

does Ybor have free Wifi? I read that the city plans on having it there as an incentive for people to move and do business in Ybor but I was wondering if it has come into fruition yet.
Urbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #87
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanite View Post
does Ybor have free Wifi? I read that the city plans on having it there as an incentive for people to move and do business in Ybor but I was wondering if it has come into fruition yet.
Not that I am aware of. Only Downtown.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #88
Gdad

Likes (Received): 0

How about a few more Ybor Pictures?

I didn’t have much in the way of parental guidance…at least that's what the public defender kept saying at my parole hearing.
Gdad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #89
kentski

Likes (Received): 6

Gdad, if you're not a professional photographer, you should be ... you always have such beautiful and thought-provoking pictures. Probably one of the best posters out there ...
kentski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #90
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Yeah, nice pictures man.
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #91
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 24

Nice work, Gdad. Thanks.

Personally, I think we're fortunate to have so many talented photographers here. And to be honest and somewhat selfish I'll admit, I just wish we didn't have to wait so long (sometimes) for the latest shots. You guys are really good!
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #92
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 92

Samuari Blue looks amazing.. Has anyone eating there yet?
Ybor is really changing before our eyes.. I-4 is just amazing with the deco of old Ybor..

The Improv Comedy club has Adell Givens March 2nd to the 4th.

And Daniel Tosh is coming March 8th to the 11th.. This guy is so funny, he has been on Jay Leno several times, and does college campuses arond the country..

It's nice to see all of the big name comedians coming to the Tampa Improv..

Last edited by Tampa on the move.; February 20th, 2007 at 02:34 AM.
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #93
Maxim98

Daniel Tosh is hilarious. Get tickets if you still can, people....
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #94
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

I have eaten there and it is cheap. I think that the atmosphere is great.
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #95
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

Samurai Blue has been around since Centro Ybor opened in 2000. It does have a nice atmosphere, incredibly high ceilings, and pretty decent sushi (from what I'm told - don't touch the stuff). Their non-sushi fare is pretty good as well.

You should check it out...Centro Ybor needs all the business it can get.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #96
Tampa610

Likes (Received): 2

Samurai Blue is the best Sushi in Tampa in my opinion. Def. worth checking out. Be sure to try the fired cheescake there too...delicious! It's always packed on a Friday or Saturday night so get there early or late.

Dish next door closed and Big City might be next. Both establishments haven't paid rent in over a year and a half it seems. The new owners evicted Dish and Big City might be next. I was sad to see Dish close but now that I know the circumstances it seems they should have been gone a long time ago. And people wonder why Centro Ybor is loosing money. If your tenants aren't paying rent how can you even afford to operate, advertise, or make improvements.

Hopefully these new owners can do some good.
Tampa610 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:43 AM   #97
tampamobster21

Hopefully they will be able to bring some really good restaurants and vendors to Centro and bring it back to life.
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:51 AM   #98
Maxim98

I think the current selection is pretty damn solid. It's not perfect, but the Ybor area has everything (I) need.
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:29 AM   #99
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

I think he was referring specifically to Centro Ybor, not the area as a whole. Centro certainly could use a boost; with the closing of Dish, and Metropolitan Deluxe last year, plus almost all the retail on 8th Street (FYI, American Eagle, Happy Feet, etc), the complex is a ghost of what it was in 2001.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:32 AM   #100
tampamobster21

Thank you for helping me out with umm...elaborating on what I was saying.