search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2007, 04:44 AM   #101
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHawk View Post
I think he was referring specifically to Centro Ybor, not the area as a whole. Centro certainly could use a boost; with the closing of Dish, and Metropolitan Deluxe last year, plus almost all the retail on 8th Street (FYI, American Eagle, Happy Feet, etc), the complex is a ghost of what it was in 2001.
I didn't realize Dish had closed, too.

I was there last week and thought it was doing well enough. It isn't exactly dead, that's all. Ideally, it would be filled to capacity.

I keep hearing interesting rumors about the fate of Muvico....
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM   #102
zerobullchip
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I went to the laughing cat tyhe other night. Now that was a nice meal.
zerobullchip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:19 AM   #103
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

How was that price wise?
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:47 PM   #104
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3889

Not sure if I will like this until I see it. I liked what the Brewing Company sign said, because it showed that character in it.

WilsonMiller lights up Ybor City horizon
Tampa Bay Business Journal - 12:43 PM EST Thursday, March 1, 2007

A new name is replacing a familiar one in the skyline of Tampa's Ybor City historic district.

WilsonMiller Inc. put its logo in lights on top of the four-story Seidenberg Cigar Factory at 2205 N. 20th St. The Naples-based engineering and planning firm converted the 112-year-old building to office space and moved in last year.

The new 5-foot-high, white-neon letters replace those of Ybor City Brewing Co., which occupied the factory until 2003. Owner Humberto Perez is seeking to sell the 36,000-square-foot building on 1.6 acres.

WilsonMiller contracted with Signstar, a Tampa-based maker of identification and advertising displays, to put the WilsonMiller name over the building. The new name is visible from Interstate 4 and other points surrounding Ybor City.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...l?surround=lfn
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:55 AM   #105
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

I saw it before ti was lit... meh...
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:14 AM   #106
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

Wait, the building is up for sale?

This sucks, actually. The old sign was pretty awesome. I'm a fan of the old signs - the Cuesta Ray (Rey?) sign from the opposite side of I-4 is pretty spiffy as well...

The interior of the building is awesome, as some of you probably know. I like what they did, anyway. Very nice update.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:32 AM   #107
Tampa610

Likes (Received): 2

A very credible source tells me that the new owner of Centro Ybor has plans to get rid off all the Muvico theatres. Originally the new owner said they would develop 8 of the 20 theatres into condos/offices. Now it looks like that is just a Phase I project. Phase II would remove the remaining theatres and retail north of 8th Ave and replace with condos.
Tampa610 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:26 PM   #108
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 3856

Wow, my thread is still alive!
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM   #109
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

Tampa610, if your source turns out to be not only credible but right, I will be disappointed. I go to movies at Centro Ybor a couple times a month. Nice to have the choice between them and Channelside.

With the closing of the Hyde Park Sunrise Cinemas, and the potential closing of Ybor's Muvico theatres, our movie-going options are decreasing rapidly.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:40 PM   #110
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

Closing the theaters to add residences will really get people excited about going to Centro Ybor. Ugh. I guess it's good news for Channelside though, that theater has never done real well but will now not have much competition. The next closest would be Westshore AMC.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:11 AM   #111
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa610 View Post
A very credible source tells me that the new owner of Centro Ybor has plans to get rid off all the Muvico theatres. Originally the new owner said they would develop 8 of the 20 theatres into condos/offices. Now it looks like that is just a Phase I project. Phase II would remove the remaining theatres and retail north of 8th Ave and replace with condos.
Well, they can do all of that, just as soon as they refund every cent of taxpayer money... Taxpayers put up that money for an entertainment complex in Ybor, not to subsidize housing for trendy yuppies.
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #112
FloridaFuture

If there is enough there historic to save then fine, but if not then they should move on, especially if it hurts growth...

Some Fret Historical District Expansion

By KATHY STEELE The Tampa Tribune

Published: Mar 3, 2007

EAST TAMPA - Decisions are months away, but community leaders are worried about a proposal to look at extending Ybor City's historical district into East Tampa.

"They're already starting to make comments that maybe we need to keep our eye on it," said East Tampa redevelopment manager Ed Johnson.

The worry is that tighter architectural rules that apply to historical districts could scare away developers, said Sam Kinsey, chairman of the East Tampa Community Revitalization Partnership.

It could also be a hardship to residents who qualify for home-repair grants and loans but might struggle with costs associated with historical architectural guidelines, Kinsey said.

"I think that would be counterproductive to what we are trying to do," he said.

The city's Historic Preservation Commission has applied for a $50,000 state grant to study the proposed expansion and identify historical structures.

Word on the grant likely won't come until late 2007, preservation manager Dennis Fernandez said. The study likely wouldn't begin until 2008, with a decision on extending the district not expected until 2009.

Fernandez said studies show that historical districts, which typically offer incentives such as low-interest loans, grants and property tax exemptions, do not stifle redevelopment.

"It does the opposite; it stimulates it," he said.

The proposed expansion would move north of Columbus Drive up to 21st Avenue toward Belmont Heights Estates and east to 21st Street, with Nebraska Avenue the western boundary. The boundaries would not all be straight lines, Fernandez said.

The expansion push is prompted partly by a significant building spree and the widening of Interstate 4, which led to relocation of about 35 houses.

"We feel the area is ripe for redevelopment," Fernandez said.

He said that raises concerns about protecting Ybor's historical character.

Ybor is home to a local historic district, monitored by the Barrio Latino Commission, and a national historic district.

The national designation is mostly symbolic and does not include penalties for tearing down or altering structures. Local guidelines, written into city codes, require preservation commission approval for significant exterior alterations.

In 2002, parts of east Ybor were added to the national historic district but were outside the local district. The expansion would bring the boundaries of the districts closer, Fernandez said.

There are an estimated 700 structures in the proposed expansion area, but the last inventory was in 1990.

"We don't know what's been happening to them for the last 17 years," Fernandez said.

"We're going to take an opportunity to meet with the [East Tampa] partnership," he said. "We want to work with them."

Kinsey isn't sure residents will approve.

"They're depending on me to be a voice," he said. "This is going to be a fight."

Reporter Kathy Steele can be reached at (813) 835-2103 or [email protected].

http://centraltampa.tbo.com/centralt...BZO6E4TYE.html
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #113
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Cripes, what an f-ing waste of time and money.

I mean seriously, is there even a single structure east of 22nd st that is even remotely historically or architecturally significant, let alone the entire neighborhood?.. And more importantly, where is the uniquely valuable architecture in need of preservation, that doesn't already have numerous local examples preserved via one of the several other historic districts in the area?
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #114
FloridaFuture

Yup pretty much, Jason. But they said a decision wouldn't come until 2009. By then this will probably either be forgotten or abandoned, even if it is by new goverment leaders. Especially since the article says local leaders are pessimistic towards the plan. However, the fact that more tax dollars are wasted on pointless studies like these must come to question eventually.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:40 AM   #115
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

nice pics, everyone.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #116
Tampa610

Likes (Received): 2

IKEA in Ybor

I was at the Mayor's Press Conference. The Ikea should be open by Spring 2009 if all goes well.

Much better than a Wal-Mart...
Tampa610 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #117
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa610 View Post
Much better than a Wal-Mart...
Understatement of the year!

Very interesting changes in store for Western Adamo Drive, I'd say. Will this be the start of more retail along the corridor?
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #118
FloridaFuture

IKEA to replace Tampa industrial park
Tampa Bay Business Journal - 2:30 PM EDT Monday, March 26, 2007by Carl Cronan

A nationally popular home furnishings chain plans to open its third Florida location in Tampa over the next two years at the site of an industrial park just east of downtown.

Swedish retailer IKEA announced Monday it plans to build a 353,000 square-foot center on the southeast corner of 22and Street and Adamo Drive. The 29-acre site is now known as Tampa International Center, a massive collection of warehouses and industrial-grade buildings slated for redevelopment over the last two years.

Construction is expected to start as early as next spring, pending city approvals and infrastructure improvements.

IKEA Tampa would open in summer 2009 and hire approximately 400 employees, company executives said.

The cost of the project was not disclosed during a Monday afternoon news conference at the Tampa Convention Center downtown.

The development of the IKEA store will benefit redevelopment plans along Adamo Drive as well as have a positive economic impact on the downtown and Ybor City districts, said Mayor Pam Iorio, during the news conference.

"This is going to be a signature project for the region," Iorio said. "We're going to accomplish so much with this one major establishment."

The huge store will offer 10,000 items showcased in three model homes and 50 room settings, plus a children's play area and a 300-seat Swedish-style restaurant. Parking will be available for up to 1,700 vehicles.

Tampa International Center, which was acquired by Panattoni Development Co. LLC of Sacramento, Calif., had been considered for redevelopment to other forms of retail including a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Panattoni purchased the 566,000-square-foot complex for $11.2 million in August 2005 from Miami-based America's Capital Partners.

IKEA had considered other local sites including one near Interstate 75 and State Road 60 in Brandon.

IKEA is already on schedule to open its first two Florida locations this fall in Sunrise and Orlando as part of its overall plan to open up to five stores annually nationwide. Currently, the nearest location to the Tampa Bay area is in Atlanta.

With sales totaling $22.2 billion worldwide last year, IKEA has more than 250 stores in 34 countries, including 29 in the United States. A fifth Southeast location, in Charlotte, N.C., is scheduled to open in spring 2009.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...l?surround=lfn
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #119
FloridaFuture

I think it is a great thing IKEA made the commitiment to Ybor over its other choices of I-75 suburbia and Brandon. Bringing 400 employees to Ybor is HUGE for the area.
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #120
kentski

Likes (Received): 6

Of all the retail that could have come to Tampa (and, in particular, that site), this is the big one ... I'm surprised (in a VERY happy way).

For those of you that don't know IKEA, this is a "destination" store. When I lived in DC, people would plan their weekend around an IKEA visit. Even though their products are inexpensive, they high quality and VERY fashionable ... and they'll only attract more fashionable, high-end retailers.

Best news I've read in a while (debating whether the Fairmont Hotel or this IKEA is better news).

For those of you that aren't familiar with IKEA, here's a great article (VERY long, so didn't want to post ... sorry for the click-thru):

http://robinson.gsu.edu/news/bernhar.../11_25_05.html

Last edited by kentski; March 26th, 2007 at 10:35 PM.
kentski no está en línea   Reply With Quote