daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #121
Urbanite

Likes (Received): 10

is the food at the Ikea restaurant any good? I went to the ATL Ikea website and there was a partial menu. breakfast was like $2, for eggs,bacon,hash browns,etc. since I'll be living a stone throw's away, I'll probably have breakfast there a couple times a week...
now if they'd only build a publix and a target over there, I'd be happy
Urbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #122
TamBay

Likes (Received): 55

edit

Last edited by TamBay; March 27th, 2007 at 07:08 PM. Reason: wrong place
TamBay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #123
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 270

IKEA food is pretty decent for what you get. Smaller portions, but it's better than fast food (quality wise).
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #124
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

IKEA food is good, but you have to put it together yourself... :P
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #125
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanite View Post
is the food at the Ikea restaurant any good? I went to the ATL Ikea website and there was a partial menu. breakfast was like $2, for eggs,bacon,hash browns,etc. since I'll be living a stone throw's away, I'll probably have breakfast there a couple times a week...
I'd rather see an independant food company, something like Ybor Grocery Co.
I personally don't want publix to come in and build an awful building that is just within ybor code, but is cheap.
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #126
Big Jon

Likes (Received): 0

IKEA Lamps

I bought two lamps from IKEA online they have great stuff and good prices
Big Jon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:25 PM   #127
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4048

Office Space Showing Soon At Centro Ybor
Skip directly to the full story.
By DAVE SIMANOFF and MARY SHEDDEN The Tampa Tribune

Published: Mar 31, 2007

TAMPA - The new owner of Centro Ybor is betting that more productivity and less popcorn will turn around the troubled retail and entertainment center.

M&J Wilkow, the Chicago-based real estate investment group that purchased Centro Ybor in December, will convert part of the complex's movie theater into 40,000 square feet of office space. The construction will eliminate 10 of the theater's 20 screens.

The new office space should be ready for tenants in 12 to 14 months, said Jim Crews, vice president of Bishop & Associates Inc., the Tampa-based company that has been hired to handle leasing at Centro Ybor. Crews said lease rates have not been determined.

Prospective office tenants won't have to wait for a spot in Centro Ybor, though. Crews said the complex has 24,000 square feet of vacant space that can be configured to accommodate office or retail tenants.

Current retail tenants are not affected by the move, and attempts are being made to find tenants quickly to fill two former restaurants, Dish and M.J. Barleyhoppers.

The addition of office space to Centro Ybor comes as many professional companies such as architectural firms and advertising agencies are moving to Ybor City.

"If they're able to convert what was previously movie theater space into attractive offices - with windows and level floors - and provide user-friendly parking, then it would be an interesting option for office tenants," said Barry Oaks, a director for the commercial real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield.

Centro Ybor opened with much fanfare in October 2000, touted as the catalyst that would transform Ybor City from nightclub hot spot to a family-friendly destination.

M&J Wilkow paid $26.8 million for the 210,957-square-foot, three-building complex.

http://www.tbo.com/news/money/MGBS2MGCXZE.html
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:51 AM   #128
AKBTampa

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanite View Post
The food at Ikea is good. I went to the Atlantic station locale 2 months ago and alot of local people go there in the morning to just to eat breakfast. They are completing a target in Atl. Station as we speak, it should be opening soon. As for publix, I didn't see one close by, sorry.
AKBTampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 01:21 AM   #129
Maxim98

I wonder which screens will be eliminated at Centro Ybor? Will the lobby retain its massive scale? Will the Premier stay, cutting the number of traditional screens down to a handful?

Very interesting...
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:45 PM   #130
Tampa610

Likes (Received): 2

Interesting indeed.

I met the *** owners of Centro last week and at that point they said the conversion would be either a hotel or offices. I was hoping for a hotel. While the office workers will have lunch at the restaurants they certainly won't really shop in Ybor, eat dinner there, or watch a flick I am also wonering where these *** office workers are going to park. I assume some agreement has been worked out with a nearby lot.

I think we will eventually see the movie theatre go away all together. Hopefully the Premier side is saved. It' great to watch a movie without kids once in a while.
Tampa610 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:19 PM   #131
jonknee
Downtown resident

Well there's a huge parking garage that sits mostly empty during the day 1 block from Centro, so parking for office workers would not be a problem. I still think it's a stupid idea, but hey.
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:09 PM   #132
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa610 View Post

I think we will eventually see the movie theatre go away all together. Hopefully the Premier side is saved. It' great to watch a movie without kids once in a while.
You've got that right. Best movie theater in town imo.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #133
FloridaFuture

If We Build It, They Will Come
Skip directly to the full story.
By MARY SHEDDEN The Tampa Tribune

Published: Apr 8, 2007

TAMPA - Mention Ikea to a room full of locals and you're likely to get extreme reactions. Bewilderment. Avid passion.

"ICK-kee-ya?" say those unfamiliar with the Swedish mega retailer known for its quirky, inexpensive furniture and house wares.

On the flip side are Ikea (Eye-KEE-ya) junkies - grown adults known to drive to the closest location in Atlanta for chairs, desks, lamps, linens and 50-cent kitchen utensils.

Smack dab in between the extremes is the reaction of downtown, Channelside and Ybor City developers hoping to capitalize on a sea of customers flocking to the 350,000-square-foot Ikea retail powerhouse.

Pending a rezoning request before Tampa's City Council, this project would do more than alter the look of ultra-industrial Adamo Drive when it opens in two years. Ikea would double downtown and Channelside's existing retail square footage with a unique range of products that don't directly compete with existing retailers.

But more importantly, its arrival could offer struggling storefronts used to competing against each other a fresh batch of potential customers from beyond the Tampa Bay area. That is, if smart Ybor and Channelside merchants can coax the high-volume traffic from Ikea's parking lot to their stores.

"It's a real stamp of credibility for the whole city," said David Harvey, a partner with M&J Wilkow, the Chicago-based real estate investment group that owns the nearby Centro Ybor retail and entertainment complex. "I'm very happy to be their neighbor."

Though Ikea's 29-acre proposed site is nearly large enough to be its own neighborhood, it will border two well-known downtown Tampa districts: Channelside and historic Ybor City. Both include large retail entertainment complexes and storefronts featuring a mix of mom-and-pop establishments, well-known chains and "for rent" signs.

Adding an internationally known brand could help improve the estimated 1.5 million square feet of existing retail space within a mile of the proposed Ikea site, said Michael Chen, Tampa's urban development director.

"A lot of this retail is underperforming," he said.

Experts say Ikea's large regional draw should bring enough shoppers and diners into town that all parts of greater downtown can benefit.

"It validates our place as a major market. Ikea does not locate in smaller markets," said Patrick Berman, senior director at commercial real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield. "To me it's great news, like when Neiman Marcus came to International Plaza."

Though Ikea is well known for its low-priced furniture and housewares, it carries an upscale European image that better reflects its 2006 worldwide sales of $22.1 billion. The 29 U.S. stores, part of the 237 worldwide, reported sales of $2.5 billion in 2006.

Ikea plans to eventually have about 50 North American stores.

Ikea's strategy is more about creating a daylong experience than a quick trip to the store. Customers spend hours strolling the massive two-story facility stocked with 50 fully decorated rooms, and rows and rows and rows of affordable housewares.

Natilie Messick has trekked several times from Tampa to Atlanta to spend nearly a day inside Ikea. Afterward, she might head to a movie or dinner.

Being so close to an Ikea could change Messick's shopping approach. The college student already visits Centro Ybor and nearby vintage clothing stores. With Ikea, she may hit it and other shops in shorter, more frequent spurts.

"The reason I like Ybor is the same reason why I like Ikea - it's eclectic, and there's something for everyone," she said.

Ikea Views Tampa As A Hotbed
Ikea spent about five years picking its three Florida locations. Sites under construction in Davie and Orlando are expected to open this year, and Tampa's is expected to break ground about a year from now at the current Tampa International Center.

Ikea's detailed demographic and economic research places its stores within 60 to 80 miles of potential customers. Officials said the Tampa Bay area includes 100,000 active Ikea shoppers - people who travel to other locations or shop online.

Channelside developer Ken Stoltenberg said the frugal company wouldn't spend millions to build in Tampa unless it was going to be a money maker.

"They're not going to invest without those numbers," said Stoltenberg, developer of the Grand Central at Kennedy condominium tower. "They look at where they want to be in the next 20 to 30 years. They think long-term."

Looking at the location, it's clear that Ikea is following a game plan used at its other locations. The massive silver, blue and yellow facility will be located just off the busy Lee Roy Selmon Expressway and just blocks from another key artery: Interstate 4.

The potential that Ikea will add to the already busy roads in the area appears to be the only concern during early discussions. Mayor Pam Iorio made a point to say during the company's announcement that the developer's $1.4 million impact fee will go directly toward improving the roads near the site.

Ybor restaurateur Carmine Iavarone isn't worried about cars driving along 21st and 22nd streets. If anything, that means people visiting Ikea for the day may stop at his 26-year-old Italian eatery on Seventh Avenue.

"Traffic is a good problem to have," said Iavarone, who owns Carmine's.

Ybor Chamber of Commerce President Tom Keating agrees. It's the 500 industrial trucks zooming in and out of the Port of Tampa each day that pose a more serious problem. A planned connector between I-4 and the expressway should alleviate that problem within a few years.

"Ikea's bringing in people with discretionary income. That's our goal, too," Keating said. "If I can get them 100 feet from the district, my job can be a lot easier."

But Berman warns that Channelside and Ybor merchants can't just assume new customers will come. Ybor in particular needs to have a plan to attract Ikea shoppers past a slew of industrial warehouses and over to its hub - Centro Ybor.

"Nobody's going to say, "Hey, Let's walk seven blocks through an industrial park to get to Ybor," he said.

Businesses Will Crop Up, Too
The announcement also will likely attract new retailers and more competition. Berman said he wouldn't be surprised to see other home decor stores, such as Home Depot and Lowe's, locate in the Adamo corridor.

Direct competition for Ikea doesn't exist anywhere near downtown, Channelside or Ybor. The 609,000 square feet of retail in Ybor City, and downtown and Channelside's 305,000 square feet, don't include a single European furniture store that offers Swedish meatballs.

In fact, there's no retailer in the Tampa Bay area that will get gobbled up by Ikea's eclectic range of 10,000 products, said Will Ander, a retail industry consultant in Chicago.

Instead, companies such as Pottery Barn, Rooms To Go and Wal-Mart will see small portions of their revenue depart. For example, those who predicted growth by 6 percent should reduce estimates to 2 or 3 percent, Ander said.

Stoltenberg, who is trying to attract national retailers to his Grand Central condominium and retail project, said once the project is approved he expects Tampa to get more attention. He's optimistic his vacant space and others will have a better chance now.

"I would think a lot more national retailers are going to now take a second look at the area," he said.

BY THE NUMBERS
353,400 Square footage of proposed Ikea store in Tampa

305,000 Square footage of retail space in Channelside and downtown Tampa

609,000 Square footage of Ybor City retail space

100,000 Ikea's current customers in the Tampa Bay area, based on online sales or trips to closest stores

29 Number of Ikea stores in the United States

1,618 Number of planned parking spaces for Ikea's Tampa store

Sources: City of Tampa, Ybor City Chamber of Commerce, Cushman & Wakefield analysis, Ikea
BY THE NUMBERS
Sources: City of Tampa, Ybor City Chamber of Commerce, Cushman & Wakefield analysis, Ikea
Reporter Mary Shedden can be reached at (813) 259-7365 or [email protected].

http://www.tbo.com/news/money/MGBS7N2J80F.html
Old April 8th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #134
FloridaFuture

There is a rendering of the IKEA store on page 8 of the Business section of the Tribune. It's nothing special at all: a blue and yellow warehouse infront of a Dale Mabry Highway style parking lot.
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #135
jonknee
Downtown resident

The architecture of Ikea's building isn't nearly as important as the fact it will be bringing in a few hundred thousand people annually. They are either going to be driving through Ybor or Downtown. And unlike a mall that usually keeps all of its traffic, there will be a lot of spillover into surrounding businesses.
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #136
moxwax

Likes (Received): 14

Right... I think this may be the only instance where a big box retail store wouldn't be a bad thing for this area. Walmart, Target, etc... hell no - IKEA? sure...

edit: although I wouldn't mind seeing a parking garage built instead of a parking lot...

Last edited by moxwax; April 9th, 2007 at 04:43 PM.
moxwax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #137
Maxim98

^haha, so true mox.

I might have to move back here, if only for IKEA. Seriously, Tampa is on the right track... Channelside is blossoming and Ybor should be helped, too. I'm anticipating that the Adamo area will slowly but surely transform as well, linking Channelside and Ybor. Wooo.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #138
jonknee
Downtown resident

The Atlanta Ikea has multiple level parking, but it's underground. Something you can't do here. But it's worth noting that Ikea stores don't always have huge surface lots.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #139
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2462

Hey, anyone want to go to the city council meeting and demand that part of the approval of this project (and the other retail going in across the street) be connected to the trolley line, and be sited to do so in an effective manner.

This store is going to generate an assload of traffic, and while a furniture store obviously isn't the easiest thing to shop at without vehicular means of delivery, I'm certain that it would be a major boon to the trolley line to be connected to the massive retail cluster sprouting at Adamo and 22nd/21st... We know that car traffic is unavoidable with a destination stores like Ikea and Super Target, but it sure would be nice to at least offer DT area residents a way of avoiding the traffic.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #140
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Hey, anyone want to go to the city council meeting and demand that part of the approval of this project (and the other retail going in across the street) be connected to the trolley line, and be sited to do so in an effective manner.

This store is going to generate an assload of traffic, and while a furniture store obviously isn't the easiest thing to shop at without vehicular means of delivery, I'm certain that it would be a major boon to the trolley line to be connected to the massive retail cluster sprouting at Adamo and 22nd/21st... We know that car traffic is unavoidable with a destination stores like Ikea and Super Target, but it sure would be nice to at least offer DT area residents a way of avoiding the traffic.
With the Trolly use decreasing, they probably won't approve it. I'm sorry to say.
But its worth a try. When is a council meeting, if I can go I will, although I don't know if they would listen to me, as I don't live in Tampa City Limits so I can't vote for anyone in the council so who's to say they would listen to me?
But if it is of any help then lemme know the specifics!
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote