search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #81
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

Of course, now that I read the article earlier, I now realize that the riverwalk has been in the works for a long time. I knew the Greco administration had presided over the construction of a couple parks along the river/channel but I had always thought the concept did not stretch back as far back as the 70s. But I will continue to say that Iorio is spending too much of her time and energy for that project. I say she should hold off on it and focus on keeping the city aloft until the property tax thing blows over.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #82
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

She is trying to make this project her claim to fame, and she is doing it the wrong way. It is like she is Marie Antoinette and she is telling the people that she laid off to eat cake. This project will be one of the things that will unite the city, but it is on the backs and wallets of people who are already stretched thin. I feel bad for those who were laid off and I wish that there was a loop hole that would provide them their jobs back.
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #83
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^The project will create far more jobs than you people are erroneously portraying it as eliminating.

It is ridiculous to try and stop it now, and threaten the city's reputation, as well as the desireability of downtown's revitalization... I don't know if anyone noticed, but DT Tampa pretty much sucks, and we NEED all of these little projects to be tied in together by something like the Riverwalk (and I pray to God by the trolley when people finally wake up), so that we can increase the return on the hundreds of millions already spent downtown.

That's what people aren't seeing here. The money the city is spending on the Riverwalk is dick compared to just the return on that investment seen in the from of higher property tax and sales tax revenues (from higher land values and increased DT activity).

Besides, city workers who lost their jobs, ESPECIALLY people in the parks department, should be thanking their lucky stars that Iorio is wisely insisting that the Riverwalk be completed as promised. because frankly, you would probably never get your jobs back if the Riverwalk was cancelled, but with it being built, there will naturally be more money and more work for city employees.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #84
HARTride 2012

^
Now that I think about it Jason, it may be far worse at this point to stop the Riverwalk cause of city jobs. However, my views on the Riverwalk and Iorio remain. I still think she is wasting too much of her efforts on the project.
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #85
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 38

The riverwalk is very important for Tampa, and will open the doors for future development. This is an attraction that I think we will see in its completion that people will always be around all day and all night.
For Instance, in Paris they have the riverwalk on the Sein, and when I did a river tour of Paris there were always kids with their girlfriends/boyfriends out there, its romantic, well if we have that in Tampa, there's a hot date spot, the same with rooftop restaurants that we have an extreme lack of.
In terms of attractions, the riverwalk is important, and as for the community of downtown, it is needed. But its more than that too, its greenspace, a relaxing walk, and so much more. This has way more benefits than most of the public think.

Iorio is not wasting her efforts, her efforts are to revitialize downtown, not to make a name for herself. She can say how much she wants rail but she can't do diddly about it with out the help of the state, which she won't have.
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #86
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrisco View Post
Iorio is not wasting her efforts, her efforts are to revitialize downtown, not to make a name for herself. She can say how much she wants rail but she can't do diddly about it with out the help of the state, which she won't have.
Darn right she won't get her rail. No funding...rail no go. Why can't any of these govt officials realize this reality? That's what I don't understand.

I understand fully that Iorio's wish is to have a more vibrant downtown, and I'm all for it. It is just a couple of these elements (like the riverwalk) that I believe Iorio is wasting her time on. I sure hope the project gets completed within the next fifteen years, if that's what she wants to continue working on. More than likely, the project will have to be carried on by whoever becomes Tampa's mayor next. And I have no clue as to whether or not that mayor will be willing to actively complete the project.
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #87
smiley

Likes (Received): 564

True - she will not get her rail, but rail will come after she is gone. It is inevitable due to growth, traffic, environment, etc. IF Houston and LA have rail, Tampa will get rail.

Finally, as I said when Orlando approved rail - that guarantees we will get it eventually.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #88
tamparican

Likes (Received): 41

good Point^ Orlando already having rail, its a must Tampa eventually will at somepoint too. it would be crazy not to..as far as the riverwalk goes, i dont think most people are seeying the full potential it will have on Tampa as a whole. I think its real important for not only the greenspace that will acompany all the New museums that will be U/C DT but will also generate more sales for the residential DT as more people will be impressed with the vibrant riverwalk that will some day grace that river. And as mentioned above it will eventually create jobs for the city as it will need lots of maintenance, and will also i think positively impact the UT school which will have the best view in my opinion...as well as bring retail and entertainment business DT as more people begin to take a night out starting @ the riverwalk. I just feel its a good step in helping bring DT to life and see way more pros than cons in it
tamparican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #89
HARTride 2012

^
Agreed. Tampa will get rail...someday. Certainly NOT under Iorio's administration. I'm not betting it will be done by 2020 either though.
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #90
Robert.Maddrey
Native Floridian

Likes (Received): 14

Not so sure about Orlando's rail, considering the issues Disney keeps raising regarding connections.

Down Shift Magazine
>> My Photos of Tampa <<
Robert.Maddrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #91
HARTride 2012

^
Well, Orlando connecting its rail system with Disney would certainly be costly. There were many failed attempts in the past on Disney's part to expand their monorail system to the other parks becuase of cost alone. I could probably go on more about Orlando's rail, but this is not the thread to continue this discussion on. And neither is the Tampa/St. Pete Forum. If you wish to talk about Orlando's rail system, there may be a related thread already posted in the Florida Forum. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything Robert, but I don't want Jason to start ranting at us for going off topic.

In fact, here is the thread for Orlando's light rail system
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=432640

Last edited by HARTride 2012; July 20th, 2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #92
Tallaman

Likes (Received): 5

To me the Riverwalk is much like the convention center - a large public investment that over the long haul provides exponential returns. Not all public investment does that and that's why many are skeptical, but like the CC hotels and other CC businesses that surround it, the synergy is producing a booming convention business and will support more private business. Although RW will not conduct business in and of itself, it's existence will increase the quality of residential life to generate additional downtown business and may become part of the synergy; not to mention the positive public perception.
Tallaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM   #93
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallaman View Post
To me the Riverwalk is much like the convention center - a large public investment that over the long haul provides exponential returns. Not all public investment does that and that's why many are skeptical, but like the CC hotels and other CC businesses that surround it, the synergy is producing a booming convention business and will support more private business. Although RW will not conduct business in and of itself, it's existence will increase the quality of residential life to generate additional downtown business and may become part of the synergy; not to mention the positive public perception.
At least you don't have to worry about a dumb, leaky roof with the riverwalk. I'm relieved that the city and county have finally come to terms on fixing the convention center roof (or so it seems).
Old August 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM   #94
HARTride 2012

Anything new on the old Trump Tower segment of the riverwalk? Is the city still debating whether to build it themselves?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:55 AM   #95
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^That wouldn't really be feasible.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:35 AM   #96
HARTride 2012

What? The city building the segment themselves? That's fully understandable. I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything new about it.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:21 AM   #97
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3958

^Not with the money involved at this time. Although the city is (or was) trying to make a park there, that means they would certainly have to pay for that segment. They may have to allow a developer to build on that site if they don't want the riverwalk to be split at two. That said however, it will be years before the riverwalk is complete, this may be just one of the last segments built. Unfortunate, considering it is a major connecting piece.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:32 PM   #98
HARTride 2012

^ And that's ONLY if the future mayor even makes the Riverwalk a major issue. If not, then all bets are off.
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #99
HARTride 2012

I was trying to find this pic and realized that it was already posted in the TPA Photos thread.

I like Ft. Brooke Park, even though it is small. I can't wait for the history center to be built next to it. It will make the east end of the park look even better.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM   #100
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3958

Riverwalk hits stumbling blocks
Not much is expected to be finished in time for the '09 Super Bowl.
By JANET ZINK, Times Staff Writer
Published February 3, 2008

[Chris Zuppa | Times]
MacDill Riverwalk, a park covering less than an acre, is one of five parks that eventually will be connected by the $40-million Riverwalk.

TAMPA - When the NFL announced three years ago that the Super Bowl would come to Tampa in 2009, Mayor Pam Iorio pledged to fast-track work on a downtown Riverwalk and get as much as possible done in time for the game.

So how much is likely to be done by then?

Not much.

Riverwalk manager Lee Hoffman predicts a continuous section from north of the Tampa Convention Center to near Channelside will be done early next year.

That's about one-third of the planned 2.2-mile linear park along the Hillsborough River.

A sluggish private fundraising campaign, a real estate downturn that's stymied developers who promised to build portions of the park, and limited public money have all conspired to keep construction of the $40-million project at a snail's pace.

Reid Sigmon, executive director of the 2009 Super Bowl Host Committee, said that when the spotlight shines on Tampa next year, it will be clear that "we're a city in progress."

Not only will the Riverwalk still be under construction, but so will the new Curtis Hixon Park that includes a portion of the Riverwalk, the Tampa Museum of Art and the Children's Museum.

That's okay, said Paul Catoe, who heads Tampa Bay and Company, the county's convention and visitors bureau.

If those amenities were done in time for the Super Bowl, they would likely be used for game-related events. But the host committee, NFL and private groups will schedule parties and meetings everywhere from St. Petersburg to Orlando.

The new park and the Riverwalk, he said, are for the community, not the Super Bowl.

Iorio said construction on the Riverwalk is "proceeding in a methodical fashion."

"I have always said it will be done piece by piece in a partnership with the private sector," she said. "I am always more concerned with the end result- a quality Riverwalk."

The Riverwalk dates back to the 1970s, when then-Mayor Bill Poe hatched the idea. Mayors since then have taken steps to make the vision real, with Iorio the first to make it a priority.

She hired Hoffman, who earns $98,000 a year, in 2004 to coordinate the effort.

Hoffman said when he visited riverwalks in cities such as Chattanooga, Tenn., and Fort Lauderdale, he couldn't understand why it took them so long to build their projects.

"Now I understand," he said. "The process is slow and cumbersome."

Iorio set a private fundraising goal of $24-million, with public costs set at about $16-million.

The city has spent about $4.1-million so far for Riverwalk construction - largely from gas tax money, not property taxes - with plans to cap expenses at $5.4-million.

The Legislature and Gov. Charlie Crist approved $2-million for it last year. Iorio hopes the state contribution will reach $5.5-million.

And the federal government has kicked in about $4.7-million, topping a goal of $3-million.

The $15-million remake of Curtis Hixon Park, slated to begin this month, also will include a section of the Riverwalk.

The not-for-profit Friends of the Riverwalk in September hired Alex Petrilak - who is paid $110,000 a year by the private group - to lead efforts to raise $20-million from the private sector. So far, the campaign has netted about $3.5-million in contributions, pledges and in-kind donations, Petrilak said.

"This is a patient process in raising private sector funds," Petrilak said. "Donors want to see that this is not going to be a bunch of passive parks, but a place where there is something continuously going on."

Developers with projects along the Hillsborough River have pledged to build more than a mile of the Riverwalk at a cost of about $4-million.

But the Heights, a multifamily community slated for north of the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, has been slowed by the real estate slump.

Developers of the Trump Tower were supposed to build a piece of the Riverwalk, but that project has also been plagued by delays.

Iorio had considered buying the Trump Tower's riverfront property, but at a cost of $6-million, that idea was abandoned, Hoffman said.

"I'm really hoping that Trump will come about," he said.

For Dick Beard, who chairs Tampa's Super Bowl Host Committee, the slow pace on the Riverwalk is less of a concern than the fact that the renovation of Curtis Hixon Park won't be finished in time for the game.

"If the big park was finished, it would give us a little bit better place for a big local event," he said.

In the days before last year's Super Bowl in Miami, Motorola sponsored activities on a mile-long stretch of Ocean Drive in South Beach. The street teemed with people and entertainment throughout the weekend and provided a central location for partying and star-gazing.

Beard said he has been talking to Motorola about something similar in Tampa.

"We've got to find someplace like that where people can go and get in the action, and that's going to be hard," he said. "We don't have the perfect place."

Iorio said it would have been nice to have the park along with the portion of the Riverwalk and art and children's museums it will hold done before the Super Bowl, but they took time to coordinate and design.

"These are projects that will last for generations," she said. "It is more important to me that they be done right than to rush for the sake of a special event.

Janet Zink can be reached at [email protected] or 813 226-3401.

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/03/Hi...s_stumbl.shtml
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
downtown tampa