daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM   #121
ChicagoNative

Likes (Received): 0

Corrected Notice

CORRECTION NOTICE
The previous notice had the wrong date.* Please note this event is on Monday, February 25th.
Tampa Downtown Partnership invites you to coffee with Mr. Thomas Balsley
Mr. Balsley is the architect of the New Curtis Hixon Park and we are very pleased that he has been able to make some time available to show and further describe the plans for the $15 Million renovation of this significant public space.

Where:*Maestro’s Restaurant at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center (1010 North W.C. MacInnes Place)
When:* Monday, February 25th at 8:30am to 9:30am
Parking:* Parking as available on the arrival plaza
This is a FREE event.* All who are interested are encouraged to come to this event.* Please share this message with anyone you believe would benefit from this opportunity to learn more about the new Curtis Hixon Park.

-
ChicagoNative no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:06 AM   #122
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 952

Does the City think we have no lifes and are able to go anywhere between the hours of 6 am and 4 pm?
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM   #123
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

Yeah!! I am just getting to my office at that time. Does anyone NOT work then?? If so, can someone take pictures?
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #124
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4043

Riverwalk A Step Closer To Completion
ADVERTISEMENT

The Tampa Tribune

Published: April 27, 2008

TAMPA - Business and community leaders laced up their walking shoes Saturday morning for the introduction of the Riverwalk's $2.6 million Platt Street Bridge segment.

Mayor Pam Iorio was on hand to celebrate the new link between USF Park, dedicated to the community contributions of the University of South Florida, and the Tampa Convention Center.

After the ribbon-cutting, pedestrians took a stroll on the new passageway from USF Park to Cotanchobee Fort Brooke Park. Another free Riverwalk tour is set for Saturday at 10 a.m., starting from Cotanchobee park on the pier.

The Florida Department of Transportation awarded the city $600,000 for the segment, and will reimburse an additional $860,000 of the project in 2010, according to the city.

The Trump Tower and Curtis Hixon Park segments are among the 2.2 miles of the passageway along the east banks of the Hillsborough River and the Garrison Channel that are still in the planning stages, the city's Riverwalk update states.

A staff report

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/apr...on/?news-metro
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #125
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1974

This is good news. I'm just hoping the next mayor will carry on Iorio's vision for this.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #126
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^If this isn't done by the time that Iorio is done with her next term, then it ain't ever going to be finished.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #127
dudeintampa

Likes (Received): 0

I may be wrong, but this is Iorio's last term. She's term limited. She can always do what Greco did and come back after a break, but I think she's done after the current term is over.
dudeintampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #128
HARTride 2012

Yep, she's done after this. And as I've said in the past...and Jason saying the same thing basically. If the next mayor doesn't have the same vision, then all bets are off for the completion of the Riverwalk anytime soon.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:18 AM   #129
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

right yeah, duh she's in the last term. brain fart.

hey, I was only off by a year! hahaha
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #130
FloridaFuture

Riverwalk Mural A 'Quilt Of Images'

Rendering from the city of Tampa
The 400 images for artist Bruce Marsh’s mural for the Riverwalk will be printed in porcelain enamel on steel plates.

By ELLEN GEDALIUS
The Tampa Tribune
Published: June 24, 2008

TAMPA - Meet you at the mural.

That's what city officials hope people say when they plan to spend an afternoon at the Riverwalk.

The city plans to hire Ruskin artist Bruce Marsh this week to design a 40-foot long, 9-foot-tall photo montage, to be located at Channelside and Beneficial drives, near the Tampa Bay History Center. That's essentially the southern terminus of the Riverwalk, which will border the Hillsborough River and link the Channel District with Tampa Heights.

On Thursday, the city council will consider awarding a $150,000 contract to Marsh for the project. The money will come from the $2 million in state funding Gov. Charlie Crist set aside last year for the Riverwalk project.

Mayor Pam Iorio envisions the Riverwalk as a downtown destination for residents and tourists alike to enjoy the outdoors and learn about the Hillsborough River. So far, about three-quarters of a mile of the 2.3-mile pathway has been constructed. The city hopes to raise millions of dollars in private donations and spend gas tax and grant money to complete the project.

Marsh says his art wall will feature 400 images of the Hillsborough River, including pictures he has taken through the years and more he intends to take within the next few months.

The high-resolution photos will include images of the river from the Green Swamp area to downtown, including shots of the bridges and the Sulphur Springs water tower. Marsh plans to include images of the river at different times of day and during different weather patterns.

The images will be printed in porcelain enamel on steel plates. They will be printed in full color, each measuring 10 inches by 12 inches. The durable enamel should keep the color from fading in the sun.

"It'll be like a quilt of images," said Marsh, a retired University of South Florida art professor. From the distance, it will look like an abstract pattern of color and shape, he said. Up close, however, viewers will be able to see the individual photos.

Robin Nigh, the city's public art administrator, tapped Marsh for the project.

"We hope it'll be iconic for the Riverwalk," Nigh said. "I hope it sets the spirit of what they're going to explore on the Riverwalk."

Lee Hoffman, the city's Riverwalk manager, said the city was looking for a piece that will serve as an entryway to the History Center and Riverwalk area. Marsh's art wall should fit that bill, he said.

"We really want something special there," Hoffman said. "We really want something that catches people's eyes."

The city plans to install the permanent piece by December or January.

Marsh also has a piece on display at the Sulphur Springs swimming pool. Installed in 2000, the work is a large glass-tile mosaic.

Reporter Ellen Gedalius can be reached at (813) 259-7679 or [email protected].

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jun...ilt-of-images/
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #131
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 38

We better hope that the next Mayor of Tampa will continue to do all of what has made the city completly turn around. And there's no arguing that Iorio has done an incredible job at fixing the city.
I think crime reduction speaks for itself.. 45% crime reduction from 2002-2007... THAT is amazing.
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #132
CubanBread

Likes (Received): 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrisco View Post
We better hope that the next Mayor of Tampa will continue to do all of what has made the city completly turn around. And there's no arguing that Iorio has done an incredible job at fixing the city.
I think crime reduction speaks for itself.. 45% crime reduction from 2002-2007... THAT is amazing.
She has done a great job,... but I don't know if you watch the news to much, but that crime index looks to be taking a turn for the worse this year.
CubanBread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #133
FloridaFuture

I wouldn't be surprised if crime was taking a turn for the worst this year due to the economy and not due to anything the mayor has or hasn't done.
Old June 26th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #134
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanBread View Post
She has done a great job,... but I don't know if you watch the news to much, but that crime index looks to be taking a turn for the worse this year.
I guarentee you thats mostly to the economy.
But I haven't been watching the news too much because, I'm moving to Orlando and I can't stand our news, they always seem to bash the cities and make it seem like a horrible place.
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #135
HARTride 2012

That is probably the case, as more people become desperate for things because they're so cash strapped, then they result to burglary and such.

Anyways, enough of that. This is the Riverwalk were discussing...and this thread has been hijacked more than once already.
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #136
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 952

Personally, I don't see why this is getting so much congrats to it. Yeah, we have a Riverwalk now, woo hoo, but the planning on this thing has been like a car crash. I don't see how this will be the "hit" the city has been throwing out to the people for the past few years. It's just a enlongated park near the water to me. You guys know I'm not the one to go and compare Tampa to other cities, but look at Chicago's Riverwalk with restuarants and skyscrapers interacting with their Riverwalk. How about we go a level below and check out San Antonio's Riverwalk. They basically built a Riverwalk along a canal, but still, they added places to shop and eat along it. Our Riverwalk, we offer a nice view of Tampa. Now, who knows what will come out of the Riverwalk. We still have Venu to be built, if it ever is, and than we have land where Trump Tower was gonna stand, we also have the future Arts Museum and Curtis Hixon Park. So who knows, maybe after everything is done and through, we'll have restuarants and shops along it, but the way the City handled this was poor. Yes, I give them props for atleast coming up with the idea and going through with it.
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:08 AM   #137
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

I do think they need to add street vendors or have it actually next to buildings so that there can be retail stuff and restaurants. It just seems stupid to have some boardwalk on the river that you just walk on.
It'd be an ideal place to have hot dog stands, tourist stands etc.
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM   #138
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Thats a cheap solution too!! Let vendors set up shop on the riverwalk and set up some places for people to sit and you might have some activity.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM   #139
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Likes (Received): 40

JBrisco "It just seems stupid have some boardwalk on the river that you just walk on."

You mean like the Bayshore? Seems pretty successful to me. The Riverwalk benefits from multiple locations of potential retail/vending locations being very close. If you are strolling along Bayshore and suddenly feel a hankerin for a Gatorade/Hot Dog/Rocketpop or anything else, you have a hike in front of you. With the Riverwalk, there could be vending opportunities across the street in most of downtown. Now we just need to get those spaces filled, but there is more potential along Riverwalk than on Bayshore with its 3 water fountain locations.

Downtown, because it is more urban than the Bayshore has the potential for simpler solutions than a full scale concession stand/mobile stand set-up. How about some vending machines to start with until you start to see a real need for more.
DShenise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM   #140
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 333

When the Riverwalk in San Antonio was built, there were no shops and restaurants. They all evolved over time. Same with the Baltimore Inner Harbour. The redevelopment of the whole area started with a public promenade around the water. This was used as a catalyst to encourage new development. I think the Tampa Riverwalk will be a great asset over time. It will have many different areas, some at cultural venues, some on parks and some with a more urban feel with buildings and hopefully restaurants and shops.
gstolze no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
downtown tampa