daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #1
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4045

WESTSHORE | MetWest | tallest 11 stories | mixed-use | U/C

MetLife ready to redevelop Tampa site
Tampa Bay Business Journal - 1:43 PM EDT Thursday, June 14, 2007

MetLife Inc. estimates it will invest $200 million to transform its 32-acre Tampa campus in the Westshore business district into a new complex with offices, apartments, restaurants and retailers.

The financial services giant is set to go before the Tampa City Council Thursday night for rezoning of its property across from International Plaza that it has occupied since the early 1970s.

Plans are to replace the site's current vacant green and white buildings with 700,000 square feet of Class A office space, 80,000 square feet of retail and 260 rental apartments. The 11-story One MetroCenter office building will remain on the site.

MetLife (NYSE: MET) disclosed plans in January to redevelop its former regional administrative and operations center, which moved two years ago to the Highwoods Preserve office complex, along Interstate 75 north of Tampa.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...ml?jst=b_ln_hl
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2462

Imo, it should have incorporated 2x more residential than it is, without losing any of the other components...
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #3
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

The city council was wholly unimpressed with the last plan, I guess we'll see what's up this time. As Jason said, the resident count does seem pretty small. Smaller than something like Grand Central, despite the huge amount of land.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #4
FloridaFuture

Well, the council rejected the last plan due to not being urban or dense enough correct?
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #5
jonknee
Downtown resident

Essentially... From what I remember it was for stuff like not having retail in the parking garages and someone was real upset about cutting down trees (it's not exactly an old growth forest, not sure what that was all about). They also weren't too happy about the design of the buildings IIRC, pretty plain.
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #6
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^The "Tampa is a seaside village" crowd also griped about traffic and height too...

I think that when people show up and fight against such a project, they should not be permitted to patronize that project when it's built....lol... j/k
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #7
randommichael

Likes (Received): 36

Yeah I remember Saul-Sena saying we needed to save more of the trees that were planted just a few years ago or something... I just don't get the whole tree issue. Cut a tree down, plant a new one and I'm fine with that. (Unless you are talking about a fully mature 200 year old tree or something.)
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #8
smiley

Likes (Received): 567

LEt me just say, I have lived in this town a long time and I don't remember any trees there when I was a kid. Bulldoze it and build a whole ITalian village - it would fit in the site.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #9
tamparican

Likes (Received): 41

Im all for this project, anything to upgrade and bring more business and activity to the area. It'd be nice to see a rendering when available
tamparican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #10
jonknee
Downtown resident

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...744000^1480324

Eateries, shopping to add depth to Westshore office destination
Tampa Bay Business Journal - June 22, 2007
by Carl Cronan, Real estate editor

TAMPA -- The $200 million transformation of the MetLife Inc. administrative center site in Westshore will happen in phases, with office and retail space being completed before the multifamily segment starts.

MetLife (NYSE: MET), which has enjoyed a highly visible presence near Tampa International Airport over the last three decades, intends to open the first of three 250,000-square-foot Class A office buildings by mid-2009, along with approximately 74,000 square feet of restaurant and retail shops in a pedestrian-friendly village environment.

Other plans for the 32-acre site at Boy Scout Boulevard and Lois Avenue include a 270-room business-class hotel with spa, conference and catering facilities, plus a 254-unit rental apartment complex.

"There really seems to be a need for some first-class hotel rooms in that area," said Bill Miller, director with MetLife Real Estate Investments in Tampa. Miller said the company would rather build the hotel, office and retail components simultaneously then wait to build the apartments as the local housing market improves.

Tying up zoning issues
An extensive amount of planning has gone into redeveloping MetLife's site, which dates back to the early 1970s as a regional administration and operations center for the New York-based financial services giant.

The company is scheduled to go before the Tampa City Council on July 19 to settle remaining rezoning matters, followed by a permitting process for demolition of the current 185,000-square-foot facility and infrastructure improvements.

MetLife is consulting with the Tampa-based Plasencia Group to seek the best upscale brand for the hotel, which will be situated between the existing One MetroCenter and the first new 10-story office building.

All three office buildings will seek certification under the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program. Thompson Ventulett Stainback & Associates, based in Atlanta, will be the architect.

The project has been named MetWest International -- a composite of its Westshore location, its proximity to TIA and International Plaza mall, and the continued presence of the One MetroCenter building.

[email protected] | 813.342.2468
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #11
FloridaFuture

^You can't tell everything from that rendering like parking, but I do like what I see, and it does sound better then I expected.

One thing I would've like to of seen is the residential and/or offices on top of the retail to build up density. Then they could've fit more of everything in.

Last edited by FloridaFuture; June 27th, 2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #12
smiley

Likes (Received): 567

HEy, that'll ad to a the pedestrian environment - like even on the nicest day someone might attempt to traverse the 15 retention ponds between this development and Intl Plaza.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #13
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Ok, so these guys aren't screwing around. It appears that the first office building is u/c... Foundation work...

[edit: It's the hotel being built first]
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #14
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

It just dawned on me, there are at least 8 office buildings approved (2 are u/c) to the SE of Intl Plaza. Like, we're talking nearly 2million sqft of office space.

Soon, that Boy Scout-Lois corridor will rival or exceed the cluster on Westshore Blvd itself.
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #15
ATampaArnold

Likes (Received): 131

Nice picture, I am really glad to see such progress. I wonder what the total office space will be in the entire west shore area when these projects are completed.
ATampaArnold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #16
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 24

I think the Westshore area is already the largest collection of office space in the state. This will only solidify the totals.

A head buried in the sand cannot see the light of truth. g. lilly
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #17
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

It used to be, but now it's 3rd I think.
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #18
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

You may be correct, Jasonhouse, but the Westshore Alliance still claims the coveted top spot on their website - http://www.choosewestshore.com/page/quick_facts.php.

"Westshore is the largest commercial market in the Tampa Bay region."

"It's Florida's largest office community, also containing first class hotels, meeting space, shopping, entertainment, and nearby residential areas. "
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #19
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Well, I know for sure that two markets leapfrogged Westshore in 2005 I think... Not sure if that reversed itself with the couple of buildings that went up in Westshore since.

BUt anyways, back to Metlife.
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #20
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATampaArnold View Post
I wonder what the total office space will be in the entire west shore area when these projects are completed.
Well, it is reported as having 11.2mil sqft of office space now... And there is roughly 800k of space u/c right now... Then there is a lot more space approved and proposed. At least 2.8mil sqft that I can think of right off the top of my head... If all of that was built, which it won't be, it would bring Westshore up to 14.8mil sqft, and would add 14 office towers of 8 floors or more to the 'skyline'...