search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #41
dreams_rowdy

Likes (Received): 0

^You definitely have a good point about keeping local traffic patterns local. The local traffic is pretty significant, so eliminating through traffic from immediately adjacent neighborhoods will help with the overall crush on Gandy.

However, no matter how good the landuse planning, I don't think it will be a panacea for Gandy's traffic woes. The real issue is connectivity: there are only four east-west road between Hillsborough and Pinellas. Gandy leads to the Crosstown, Bayshore, and Westshore, necessary arterials to connect the suburbanites with the major business districts.

To heap bad metaphors, the camel's back is already broken; this just adds insult to injury. I think it's better to add capacity to Gandy, whether it be asphalt or rail. Let Wal-Mart build - it'll still have plenty of SoGa patrons (and may draw some support for transit improvements from those people, representing a group larger than expected for the area, who have more practical concerns than overblown fears of plummeting property values.)
dreams_rowdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #42
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Obviously smart land use isn't going to fully solve traffic concerns, but it'll sure as heck help. I'm just saying that in that location, developments which tend to attract patrons from a rather large geographic area is not desirable. Certainly not in the numbers that a Wal-Mart Supercenter will generate, that's for sure.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #43
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

That is a good point Jason. If the city wants to put in anything for that lot...it ought to be some good commercial/residential mix space. Again, I don't see the whole Wal-Mart thing happening anyways. Its not just traffic woes, but also cost of purchasing the land and building the store, and also whether the existing tenants on the lot are even willing to give up their facilities/properties for a Wal-Mart. I know there are several industrial lots on the land, and all of them seem to be doing well. The mini-storage facilites, Sticks-n-Stuff, Wendys, the fitness center, etc. they're all not bad places. I could care less for the adult store...I think that in of itself, is already a bad image for S. Tampa.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #44
HARTride 2012

Yeah, I know its a bit late to post up this article. But I did manage to find it from TBO.com. I wonder how that meeting went?

Wal-Mart Planners to Meet with Gandy Association
Posted Jul 10, 2007 by lwilkes
Updated Jul 10, 2007 at 11:10 AM

By LINDSAY WILKES-EDRINGTON, MICHAEL SAMUELS AND MARY SHEDDEN
The Tampa Tribune

TAMPA - Tampa Wal-Mart representatives will meet with the Gandy Civic Association tonight to discuss plans for a Supercenter on Gandy Boulevard at Louis Avenue.

Gandy Civic Association President Alan Steenson told News Channel 8 the meeting will take place at 7 p.m. tonight at the Civic Center, 4207 W. Oklahoma Ave.

The nation’s largest retailer confirmed plans June 25 to build a smaller, urban-style Wal- Mart Supercenter at the South Tampa location.

The store would replace the Sticks ‘N’ Stuff discount furniture store and Pleasure Zone Adult Supercenter on the south side of Gandy across from Sweetbay Supermarket.

It also would redevelop the Stars Athletics, Tampa G. Manufacturing Co. and Progressive Development properties along Lois south of Gandy Boulevard.

The Wal- Mart Supercenter would include grocery, general merchandise, a pharmacy and garden center. There would be no automotive services or liquor store, company spokeswoman Quenta Vettel.

The nearest Wal- Mart is less than five miles from the site at 1505 N. Dale Mabry Highway. The nearest Supercenter is less than 10 miles away, at 8220 N. Dale Mabry Highway.

Wal- Mart has long been rumored to be seeking property on Gandy Boulevard. The announcement will no doubt ramp up the grocery store competition in the area. The Wal- Mart site is across the street from Sweetbay, and a Publix Super Market is less than a mile to the east.

While Publix dominates the local grocery industry, Wal- Mart and Sweetbay compete for the second spot in the Tampa/St. Petersburg market, according to an industry trade publication. The July Shelby Report ranks Publix first, with 38.6 percent of the market; Wal- Mart second, with 20.5 percent; and Sweetbay third, with 13.4 percent.

Steve Smith, Sweetbay’s vice president for marketing and merchandising, said having a Wal- Mart nearby is expected.

“Competition is good,” Smith said. “We compete with Wal- Mart Supercenters throughout our entire market every day, so this isn’t new to us.”

Steenson said he might have issues with the plans, specifically about traffic.

“I don’t have enough information really to make a comment other than asking how big a store it’s going to be,” he said. “How much parking is going to be required?”

He said residents have asked for more commercial businesses south of Gandy, but he questions whether that property is the right area.

“My biggest fear is to see what kind of site plan they’re going to have and what to do about the transportation issues,” he said.

Reporter Michael H. Samuels can be reached at (813) 835-2109 or [email protected]. Reporter Mary Shedden can be reached at (813) 259-7365 or [email protected]
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #45
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3889

Wal-Mart Details Plan For Residents
By MICHAEL H. SAMUELS, The Tampa Tribune

Published: July 14, 2007

SUN BAY SOUTH - Always low prices are coming to Gandy Boulevard.

Wal-Mart officials told more than 50 residents this week of plans for a 148,000-square-foot Supercenter with 625 parking spaces, at Gandy and Lois Avenue.

The building will not be Wal-Mart's typical 'big gray and blue box,' company representative Jim Porter said, but instead will be designed to fit with the neighborhood.

'We're here to tell you what we're doing and we want your feedback,' Porter told the crowd Tuesday night at the Gandy Civic Association building. Wal-Mart officials brought along pizza and soda for residents.

'Then we can tweak the site plan if needed,' Porter said.

The 24-hour store will include general merchandise, groceries, a pharmacy and garden center. There will be no gas station, auto service station or liquor store.

Most of the residents said they don't have a problem with Wal-Mart coming to the area, especially because it will replace the Pleasure Zone Adult Supercenter, Sticks 'N Stuff and other commercial buildings.

But they wanted to know about the building's size and design, and what Wal-Mart will do about traffic, access, water use and stormwater.

'This is a matter of how you are going to fit into the neighborhood and not impact the neighbors any more than you have to,' community activist Sue Lyon said.

John Starnes said he and a couple of his neighbors would like the Wal-Mart to be farther south of Gandy. He said Gandy traffic problems will get worse with a Supercenter.

Wal-Mart has five parcels totaling almost 13 acres under contract. Spokeswoman Quenta Vettel said there is no construction timeline.

Porter said the property is zoned for commercial use, and the project will not require public hearings before the city council unless Wal-Mart seeks waivers or variances.

County Commissioner Rose Ferlita applauded Wal-Mart officials for meeting with residents early in the process.

'The people most impacted want to know what you are going to do and what you are not going to do,' Ferlita said. 'That's what you need to do to build consensus.'

Resident Vivian Hart said the project will benefit the community.

'We've been looking for ways to improve our area,' she said.

Reporter Michael H. Samuels can be reached at msamuels@

tampatrib.com or (813) 835-2109.

http://southtampa2.tbo.com/content/2...esidents/?news
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #46
HARTride 2012

^

I'm glad there has been support for the Wal-Mart through this point. I absoluely agree with Ferlita's remarks. Had Wal-Mart not met with the community this early in the planning stage, there may have been more opposition to the store. I hope everything goes well.
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #47
randommichael

Likes (Received): 36

No matter how nice you make a Wal-Mart look on the outside, it always brings down an area. Its customers are typically the scum of society. I don't see how anyone could support it.
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #48
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by randommichael View Post
No matter how nice you make a Wal-Mart look on the outside, it always brings down an area. Its customers are typically the scum of society. I don't see how anyone could support it.
And how would you know that? I know Wal-Mart has had problems in the past, most notably the whole snafu with giving its store workers breaks. But Wal-Mart overall really isn't that bad. Many people, like myself, shop at Wal-Mart a lot and the trend will continue to be so.
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #49
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3889

Quote:
Well if you're talking about a Wal-Mart in the scum of the city, then yes. However, I doubt in the location that this Wal-Mart would be in is that "scummy" people would be a big problem. Wal-Mart is (generally) a discount store, so it won't always be where the richest or cleanest people shop at.

Last edited by FloridaFuture; July 16th, 2007 at 04:42 PM.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #50
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Well if you're talking about a Wal-Mart in the scum of the city, then yes. However, I doubt in the location that this Wal-Mart would be in is that "scummy" people would be a big problem. Wal-Mart is (generally) a discount store, it won't always be where the richest people shop at.
I would agree with that. Same thing with K-Mart and Target (though Target considers itself to be a step or two above Wal-Mart. Target tends not to be a discount store period but rather a discount department store).
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #51
randommichael

I don't know, somehow even in the nice areas Wal-Marts tend to bring out the poorest of the poor. Just look at the one in New Tampa.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #52
HARTride 2012

Quote:
I don't know, somehow even in the nice areas Wal-Marts tend to bring out the poorest of the poor. Just look at the one in New Tampa.
That may be true. But Wal-Mart is still not a bad store.
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #53
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Well, I wouldn't want one clogging an already congested and failing main arterial in my neighborhood, that's for sure.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #54
HARTride 2012

Again, Wal-Mart have better get a good plan to somehow improve traffic flow on Gandy. But eventually, FDOT must do its part as well. What FDOT is planning to do right now is nothing more than a short-term, interim improvement. Sure a raised median, new traffic signals, and revised turn lanes will help Gandy some. But it does nothing for the long-term. FDOT must come to terms about what to do about a long-term traffic flow solution.
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #55
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
I take great offense to that statement. I live in a developing area in E. Tampa and I have a Walmart near to my house. I shop there because it is convenient for my work schedule as of late. I make good money for my age. I live in a beautiful condo. I drive a newer car. Do you consider me the scum of society?
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #56
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^Are you scummy? If not, then I'm pretty certain his remark doesn't apply to you.

He didn't say all WM shoppers are scum, he said that they typically are, which when it comes to some stores, I suppose that could be one way of describing the impoverished (and smelly) people who shop there, though it's certainly not one that I would use.
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #57
HARTride 2012

Again, things like that may be true. But overall, Wal-Mart is not a really bad store.
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #58
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

For whatever reason, there is a big class problem with Wal-Mart. If you look at locations that are across the street from Target, it's really apparent. Bearss/Dale Mabry and Dale Mabry/275 come to mind. In each the Target is clean and you always feel safe but go across the street to Wal-Mart and you literally watch your back and hope for the best. It's like East/West Germany, right across the street is a whole other world.

I would not want my girlfriend or mother to go to either of those Wal-Marts after dark. Wal-Mart definitely has the money to fix these problems, but cost cutting is their religion, not making a safe and clean environment.

So no matter what they say about an urban design, I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I hope the city and neighborhood forces them to an extremely high standard.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #59
randommichael

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but you do have to admit, just as jonknee has said, there is a HUGE difference between the customers of Wal-Mart and Target. Wal-Mart is a dangerous place to be.
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #60
Tbpm
closer

Likes (Received): 1

Personally i'd rather shop Target than Walmart it's cleaner more organized and I get better service there however I do understand the benefits of a Walmarts economic impact on an area. MOst of us went through a period in our lives where we couldn't go to Sound Advice for our electronics (usually college years) and there was the discount store with a $99 television and a $200 futon. My point is to continue the American way of working your way up you have to have places that cater to the beginners. I see a lot of cities losing new college grads because they can't afford to live there.
Tbpm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, retail, tampa, tampa-projects