search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #121
smiley

Likes (Received): 564

IF you are ever in dt Minneapolis, check out the Target attached to the hq - very nice
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #122
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Yeah... If I'm not mistaken, basically the extent of public input at a council meeting would be during open mic, because a vote won't be required, so it won't even be on the agenda.

It's a shame, because I really don't think it is an appropriate use of that parcel at all. At least not with the current transportation situation on the peninsula.
And on top of that, I don't even know if the current businesses are even willing to give up their properties for a Wal-Mart. I'm sure the Wendy's, Sticks-n-Stuff, Stars Gym, Catalina's Fitness, etc. have some sort of objection to this plan. But then again, maybe I'm wrong.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #123
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

They obviously don't mind, since they already sold options on their land to Wal Mart.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #124
HARTride 2012

Wow. Already, they've made up their minds pretty much. I'm surprised. I was actually expecting a big backlash from the businesses.
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #125
smiley

Likes (Received): 564

THe reality is WHO CARES? Gandy is a hideously ugly, poorly designed road. So you put a Walmart on it - like that changes anything.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #126
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post
Gandy is a hideously ugly, poorly designed road. So you put a Walmart on it - like that changes anything.
Yeah, of course Gandy is ugly and poorly designed. And putting a Wal-Mart there will only, in my opinion, make the road even worse.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #127
Robert.Maddrey
Native Floridian

Likes (Received): 14

It will be interesting to see how Gandy either evolves or devolves over the next decade. Its hard to fathom it getting much worse, but then again when you add things like this Walmart into the equation anything is possible. It will be interesting to see what the long term impact of the improvement fees and various tax abatements will mean.

Down Shift Magazine
>> My Photos of Tampa <<
Robert.Maddrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #128
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Maddrey View Post
It will be interesting to see how Gandy either evolves or devolves over the next decade. Its hard to fathom it getting much worse, but then again when you add things like this Walmart into the equation anything is possible. It will be interesting to see what the long term impact of the improvement fees and various tax abatements will mean.
Oh yes.....I'm with you on that one...
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #129
flembss2

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslupecki View Post
Yeah, of course Gandy is ugly and poorly designed. And putting a Wal-Mart there will only, in my opinion, make the road even worse.
Well, there are going to be a ton of new developments along westshore reaching build-out in the next few years. When the traffic is fully realized, the gandy/westshore intersection is going to take the cake of the poorly planned, ugly areas. Adding a supercenter right in the middle of it all is just a terrible way to top it off. Check out the traffic study here:

http://www.tampagov.net/dept_Public_...study_Area.asp
flembss2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #130
HARTride 2012

My view on all this...

Well, after reading the reports, here is my prediction on the proposals...and things not mentioned.

* Manhattan widening (recently completed): Four lanes on Manhattan from Henderson to Gandy will definitely ease congestion. It cut my travel time between Gandy and Euclid from 8 to 12 minutes when it was two lanes to 5 to 8 minutes in its new state. I also don't have to worry about being stuck behind a slow-moving truck or a HARTline bus.

* Lois Ave: There's not much I can see that the city can do. They may be able to pull off a center turn lane. But nothing more. I expect an uphill battle with residents if the city plans to do any significant improvements here.

*Henderson turn lanes: Something needs to be done about the left turn situation along every Henderson intersection that does not have a turn lane already. This hazzard is almost as bad as the MacDill/Azzele situation.

*Bridge St and Tyson Ave: The modification of Bridge St and extension of Tyson Ave will allieviate cut-through traffic on various residential streets.

*WestShore corridor: The city didn't do much to improve WestShore south of Gandy. With all the new development popping up, that two lane road will be clogged beyond belief in about 10 to 15 years. Of course, I'm sure that project was only an interim improvement to the road and that further widening can probably be done. As for WestShore north of Gandy. I see very little right-of-way that can be used for any additional lanes. There will probably need to be modifications with the Bay to Bay intersection not to far from now.

*Gandy: I'm sorry, but I don't see any long-term improvements that the city can put forth for Gandy. Whats in the books now are nothing more than short-term, interim improvements. And unless the community can support an elevated option, I don't see a double-decker Gandy being built anytime soon either. The Crosstown extension is dead too so nothing can be done with that.

*Interbay Blvd: Interbay Blvd between WestShore and Dale Mabry will need to be widened to three lanes over the course of the next 10 years due to new development.
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #131
TampaIAm

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslupecki View Post

Well, after reading the reports, here is my prediction on the proposals...and things not mentioned.

* Manhattan widening (recently completed): Four lanes on Manhattan from Henderson to Gandy will definitely ease congestion. It cut my travel time between Gandy and Euclid from 8 to 12 minutes when it was two lanes to 5 to 8 minutes in its new state. I also don't have to worry about being stuck behind a slow-moving truck or a HARTline bus.

* Lois Ave: There's not much I can see that the city can do. They may be able to pull off a center turn lane. But nothing more. I expect an uphill battle with residents if the city plans to do any significant improvements here.

*Henderson turn lanes: Something needs to be done about the left turn situation along every Henderson intersection that does not have a turn lane already. This hazzard is almost as bad as the MacDill/Azzele situation.

*Bridge St and Tyson Ave: The modification of Bridge St and extension of Tyson Ave will allieviate cut-through traffic on various residential streets.

*WestShore corridor: The city didn't do much to improve WestShore south of Gandy. With all the new development popping up, that two lane road will be clogged beyond belief in about 10 to 15 years. Of course, I'm sure that project was only an interim improvement to the road and that further widening can probably be done. As for WestShore north of Gandy. I see very little right-of-way that can be used for any additional lanes. There will probably need to be modifications with the Bay to Bay intersection not to far from now.

*Gandy: I'm sorry, but I don't see any long-term improvements that the city can put forth for Gandy. Whats in the books now are nothing more than short-term, interim improvements. And unless the community can support an elevated option, I don't see a double-decker Gandy being built anytime soon either. The Crosstown extension is dead too so nothing can be done with that.

*Interbay Blvd: Interbay Blvd between WestShore and Dale Mabry will need to be widened to three lanes over the course of the next 10 years due to new development.

Since I live in this area just off Westshore north of Gandy, I'd like to see Westshore Blvd with a center turn lane and medians with trees, etc. (just similar to the way it looks south of Gandy) from just north of El Prado to Gandy. Keep the traffic flowing, but maintain the residential feel of the road. I know through countless meetings that Westshore will NOT be widened or additional lanes added. The stretch from just north of El Prado to the green Iguana needs a major rehaul and beautification. There is only one sidewalk on the east side, poor lighting, it just looks very poor for the area it is in, and with Georgetown meeting its demise soon and New Port and Westshore yacht Club being completed, that area of little shops and retaurants along Westshore could see alot of traffic in the establishments if it looked better and more neighborhoodish similar to Howard Ave, MacDill Ave, Bay to Bay Blvd east of Himes Ave, etc.
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #132
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

If the road isn't being widened, I think it's a waste of increasingly sparse dollars. Money needs to be used for the most needed, worst situations, because that is the low-end, bare bones government we have been forced to deal with... (which is being done on purpose to make people receptive to letting for-profit corporations take over even more government functions than they already control)
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #133
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
If the road isn't being widened, I think it's a waste of increasingly sparse dollars. Money needs to be used for the most needed, worst situations, because that is the low-end, bare bones government we have been forced to deal with... (which is being done on purpose to make people receptive to letting for-profit corporations take over even more government functions than they already control)
The city just announced today BTW that Parks & Rec will see a huge a** cut. It still needs to be voted on though...

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...pa+budget+cuts
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #134
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

Man, get it over with and building the Crosstown to Gandy Bridge.

No more slumming it on THAT road.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #135
randommichael

Likes (Received): 36

^ All these cuts I think are being done to punish the public for requesting tax cuts. They are being hyped by the media too.
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #136
HARTride 2012

Agreed Mike, I think our biased media outlets always place things out of proportion.

Maxim, say all you want, but the Crosstown/Gandy connector is practically dead. The land that would have carried the connector is now taken by Legacy Park and New Port. Furthermore FDOT said before that it would have cost way too much to build the highway. I'm sure now it would cost even more. You can also ay goodbye to the northern connector, that will be opposed by residents like crazy.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:42 PM   #137
flembss2

Likes (Received): 0

WM submitted their site plans last week. I had a wonderful time with building services trying to get copies of them. Had to call the city attorney and everything, but they've been ordered finally after a lot of bad noise. They're really trying to push this through under the radar. If I find anything that looks like a rezoning is in order, or anything that will need a public hearing, I'll let you know. thanks.
flembss2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM   #138
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^Awesome... By all means, pretty please keep us informed... thanks.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:38 PM   #139
HARTride 2012

I'm very interested to see where this Wal-Mart thing goes. Thanks for the update.
Old August 26th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #140
HARTride 2012

Sticks n Stuff is closing...

Has anyone noticed the signs outside Sticks n Stuff or seen their ads? The Gandy store is closing. I guess this is a sign that Wal-Mart is really trying to make their way to S. Tampa.

Tags
florida, retail, tampa, tampa-projects