search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #101
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

This is basically the same as the 22-story tower that was originally proposed. They've just added two stories to the tower and removed the condos that were on the west side of the garage.

Lack of context-specific architecture in all its glory.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #102
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 128

Those two taller towers to the upper right of the last picture sure would be a nice addition. I wonder if they know something we don't?
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #103
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 128

Their website states the pictures are based on the current approved zoning which is for 600+ units. Not sure if the above is what will be built. It also states they are doing the necessary preliminary planning while market conditions improve so it may be awhile for an actual ground breaking.
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #104
USF802

Likes (Received): 662

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAMAN View Post
Their website states the pictures are based on the current approved zoning which is for 600+ units. Not sure if the above is what will be built. It also states they are doing the necessary preliminary planning while market conditions improve so it may be awhile for an actual ground breaking.
Their website has said that for a while now, at least a couple of years. I don't think they have updated the info yet, because the 600 units was for the initial plan before the bust, which called for two towers verses one.
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #105
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

The garage is hideous. The rest of the building is par for the course.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:36 PM   #106
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAMAN View Post
Those two taller towers to the upper right of the last picture sure would be a nice addition. I wonder if they know something we don't?
I want to say that one is the Place 2 and the other is the failed Novare project they had for Channelside. Renders are years old..... like 5 years old and of course they'll still include projects from back in 2007/2008 that never were or yet to be built.

I wish we could squeeze out an office building up there though.
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #107
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

Here's another article, this time from 83 Degrees. Much of it has already been reported, but the second half of the article - about a proposed "sports park" in the Channel District - is an interesting development.

http://www.83degreesmedia.com/featur...erage+Speakers

Moving To Downtown Tampa: The Martin Raises Bar For New Places To Live
By Alexis Quinn Chamberlain | Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Tampa's Channel District, nestled along the waterfront between the ship repair yards at the Tampa Port and the start of museum row at the Tampa Bay History Center, is showing new signs of life despite ongoing legal battles affecting the Channelside project and talk of building a baseball stadium on land now largely occupied by dilapidated buildings and vacant lots.

Most prominent among the new projects is The Martin at Meridian, a mixed-use development that contains 316 apartments, approximately 30,000 square feet of retail space and 43,000 square feet set aside for an active sports park on two acres of now-vacant land between Twiggs and Madison streets.

"My partner and I have been building in Channelside for 10 years now and I think we're ready for a second wave of development,'' says Martin developer Ken Stoltenberg. "I believe the Martin is going to be one of the projects to kick that off.''

Stoltenberg and Frank H. Bombeeck are the principals behind Mercury Advisors, the developers of Grand Central at Kennedy. After a slowdown caused by the nation's recent recession, Grand Central's units are selling again. Only a few of 392 condos remain unoccupied.

New In The Neighborhood

Featuring studios and one- and two-bedroom units, Stoltenberg calls the Martin a "first class job,'' boasting contemporary interior features and amenities. Expect prices and quality, he says, to be equivalent to the features at Grand Central at Kennedy, which is directly across the street. Units are expected to run between $1,300 to $2,500 per month.

Working with Urban Studio Architects and Hardin Construction, Stoltenberg and Bombeeck plan to break ground on the Martin within the next four months, constructing an environmentally friendly 24-story apartment complex with seven stories of parking and two stories of retail. The project will mimic Grand Central's modern Art Deco-esque design.

The Martin will join the Place at Channelside, the Slade, Bell Channelside and the currently under-construction 356-unit, $550 million Pierhouse Apartments.

And Stoltenberg thinks the neighborhood will become home to more apartment and condo projects as downtown Tampa's urban scene continues to evolve.

Seeing additional developments as opportunities for making connections and creating collaborations, Stoltenberg says he's confident that even traditionally competitive developers can work together to help make the district a thriving neighborhood.

"I don't see competition as a real problem. The more good, successful things in the area, the more good, successful things there will be,'' Stoltenberg says. "I try to realize that I don't know everything -- you shouldn't do everything yourself or try to be the smartest guy in the room. You should want to work next to different types of talents and let them do their thing while you do yours.''

Put Your Kicks To Work

Stoltenberg also has plans to develop something the Channel District is now missing: A fully functional sports park.

In conjunction with the development of the Martin, Mercury Advisors plans to donate $1 million worth of land to the City of Tampa for a new park called the Madison Street Park. The 15,000-square-foot donation, combined with 28,000 square feet of land from an adjacent owner, would open the door to all kinds of possibilities for neighborhood enrichment.
"With this big of an area, we can start to do some really cool stuff. I kind of look at development in the Channel District as a puzzle -- you keep filling in pieces until you have it all filled in, and we're confident that the sports park is a missing piece,'' he says. "Where else are you going to play basketball in Channelside? There are a lot of people in the area seeking a space for outdoor activities, but have nowhere to go.''

Featuring a dog park, basketball court, volleyball court and an area suited for group fitness classes and boot camps, plans call for Channelside Academy Middle School students to use the artificial turf park for recreational activities and Tampa Bay Club Sports' Chris Giebner may eventually begin hosting his Monday through Thursday program at the park.

"The Channel District is obviously an urban in-fill area and that seems to be where a lot of people want to live now -- nobody wants to spend a lot of time in their car,'' Stoltenberg says. "We hope that what we're doing inspires more activity and growth in the area because it seems to be where a lot of people want to live and spend time.''

Grand Central tenants include Powerhouse Gym, Saint Leo University, Stageworks Theatre and the Pour House. About half of the project's 108,000 square feet of retail space remains available to lease.

Alexis Quinn Chamberlain, a Florida native and freelance writer, can often be found barhopping on South Howard Avenue, walking around her North Hyde Park neighborhood and daydreaming with her boyfriend and Chihuahua at Davis Island Dog Beach. Comments? Contact 83 Degrees.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #108
USF802

Likes (Received): 662

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHawk View Post
Featuring a dog park, basketball court, volleyball court and an area suited for group fitness classes and boot camps,
I think this coupled with the grocery store (assuming that's what it's going to be) will be a great addition, to not only Channelside, but downtown as well. The rec. space is much needed in the general downtown area and this will make Channelside and the surrounding area that much more attractive and potentially spur more development.

One thing I wish I could see more of is 'green rooftops'. It wouldn't work for The Martin, because of the way its going to be built, but they could have done this rec. space on top of say, the Pier House parking garage.

Something similar to this:
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #109
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF802 View Post
One thing I wish I could see more of is 'green rooftops'. It wouldn't work for The Martin, because of the way its going to be built, but they could have done this rec. space on top of say, the Pier House parking garage.
But then you have a bunch of non-tenants using your amenities and presenting liabilities. That's not going to happen anytime soon.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #110
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
The Martin will join the Place at Channelside, the Slade, Bell Channelside and the currently under-construction 356-unit, $550 million Pierhouse Apartments.
$550 million? Not quite.
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #111
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
$550 million? Not quite.
That's if, they're going to give millions of dollars to their tenants. I look at the thing..... especially with it being made out of wood.... and don't see anything that says $550 million on it.

The renders might be a little off as well. Because none of them show two floors of retail and 8 floors of parking. The third one to the bottom even seems to show two towers though than just the one. I doubt the design will be that much different though.
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #112
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
That's if, they're going to give millions of dollars to their tenants. I look at the thing..... especially with it being made out of wood.... and don't see anything that says $550 million on it.

The renders might be a little off as well. Because none of them show two floors of retail and 8 floors of parking. The third one to the bottom even seems to show two towers though than just the one. I doubt the design will be that much different though.
Yea, that's obviously an error. It's 356 units which would make it a $1.5M per unit project. It's actually a $55M project which explains the typo. $55 seems ambitious as well, but the land did account for $6.5M of that.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:44 PM   #113
koopalicious

You can see the site plan for this now. As I feared, they've dumped all of the mechanical along Meridian.

Last edited by koopalicious; June 4th, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #114
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3889

^Link is broken. (at least for me)
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #115
Casey

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopalicious View Post
You can see the site plan for this now. As I feared, they've dumped all of the mechanical along Meridian.
Mechanical along Meridian? There's a "1-Story Retail" (Publix possibly?) along Meridian.
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #116
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
^Link is broken. (at least for me)
Try right clicking and saving the link direct without even viewing it... It should be a .pdf file.
Old June 4th, 2013, 02:09 AM   #117
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Likes (Received): 726

Fails for me as well.
Old June 4th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #118
koopalicious

Hmm. It looks like the links change. You can get the files from here (on the right):

http://atg.tampagov.net/sirepub/mtgv...da&itemid=3307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Mechanical along Meridian? There's a "1-Story Retail" (Publix possibly?) along Meridian.
The entrance to the retail building is on Twiggs.
Old June 4th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #119
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Whats going on with the property immediately east of the tower? It looks like a basketball court.
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #120
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3889

Quote:
Originally Posted by densitymatters View Post
Whats going on with the property immediately east of the tower? It looks like a basketball court.
It is. Check the article a few posts up.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
tampa-projects