search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #21
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 321

It's certainly a cool building, although I'm surprised they haven't gone with an even larger building. I'm not keen on the 'Northampton Station' writing!! You never write 'station' on a station... that sign seems the perfect opportunity to bring back the 'Northampton Castle' name.

Excellent pictures btw, thanks for finding and sharing them.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #22
DANE81

Likes (Received): 51

Yeah I think the original design (from half a year ago) seemed to have a slightly higher standard to it. Local people are lobbying for the station to be called Northampton Castle - we'll have to wait and see if that happens!
DANE81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #23
DANE81

Northampton Innovation Centre

The University of Northampton is looking to build a new presence in the town centre (with new Halls of residence currently under construction on what used to be St. John's open air car park (at the bottom of Derngate and opposite Morrisons), and also bold plans to build a new uni campus near the Avon European HQ.

The Innovation Centre has been in planning for some time, but movement now seems to be happening (I work for a utility company and an order for the diversion of our apparatus from their site has recently been agreed)

The centre will be opposite the new Train Station, offering space for up to 60 start-up businesses spawned from the university.

Work should start this Summer.

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #24
DANE81

Northampton Uni - St. John's Halls

The University of Northampton is looking to increase it's presence in the town centre as currently it sits on two satellite campus's in Kingsthorpe and Park Avenue. They are currently building a new Halls of Residence on what was St. John's open air car park, between Morrisons and Derngate.

The Halls will contain 500 student flats across an array of connected but varied buildings. Sadly all the renders appear to be artists impressions, but these halls have been under construction for the last 3 or 4 months.

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #25
DANE81

Northampton Bus Station

The Greyfriars bus station in Northampton has long been derided as a shocking piece of architecture. Ghastly, mammoth, cold, dark, poorly connected. It has loomed over the Northern side of the town centre, cutting off any kind of pedestrian links to the surrounding area. The offices above the station sat empty for 6 years after they were built, had a tenant for 5 years rent free on the proviso that they modernised the offices. Barclaycard then moved to the offices but left in 1997 for bigger more modern offices at Brackmills. The offices have stood empty ever since. Excellent creepy pictures of the desolate abandoned office can be found in this article: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...ug-2012-a.html

The plans to expand the Grosvenor Centre have relied on Greyfriars being demolished so the centre can use tha land, however what with the recession and Legal & General's (the owners of the centre) unwillingness to invest, the project has continuously stalled as the town centre declines year on year as people favour MK, Leicester and Birmingham.

The council have finally decided to act alone, buying Stagecoach out of their lease on the Greyfriars building. The new bust station has been approved for the site of the former Fishmarket near the Drapery. Demolition works commenced on the Fishmarket after Christmas 2012 and construction of the new station will follow once the ground is cleared. The Greyfriars bus station will then be demolished, priming the land for future development. (Some demolition has started within the offices above the station already)

image hosted on flickr

Old March 12th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #26
Infinite 3D
Architectural Photography

Likes (Received): 18

See images here>>

Watch animation here>>

Last edited by Infinite 3D; March 14th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Infinite 3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #27
david_van

Likes (Received): 3

The Fishmarket has now been completely demolished. According to the Chronicle and Echo: On the site will be 12 bus bays and in the new bus station will be ticket facilities, toilets,a cafe and shops. Seven bus bays will also be located in The Drapery and two more in Bradshaw Street. As part of the development, two dilapidated shops next to the old Fishmarket will be restored.

The steel structure for the Derngate Cinepod has now been completed and the whole thing is coming along well.
david_van no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #28
MK Tom

Stagecoach have registered two new bus services that seem to confirm First will withdraw routes 12, 28, 29 and 30 in May. First have said the decision to withdraw routes is not yet final, but Stagecoach will commence operating the Kings Heath - Camp Hill route 12 and the Parklands-Shelfleys route 10 from mid May and it's extremely unlikely First would try to run these routes in competition.

As you'll all know First were planning to sell Northampton but were unable to find a buyer. According to their press statement (the same one that said they hadn't decided yet) they've decided to have a long-term future in Northampton and ''may'' reduce services to facilitate that. So what'll happen to the R-reg decrepit fleet recently brought in from Norwich is anyone's guess.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 03:05 PM   #29
skyblue1987

Likes (Received): 21

The Northampton Bus Interchange has a webcam here >>> http://217.35.40.227/record/current.jpg
The steelwork is just starting to go up, and I think they are still on course to open in time for Xmas 2013
skyblue1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 04:35 PM   #30
MK Tom

Thanks skyblue!

I heard a rumour recently that the old bus station will now NOT be demolished - does anyone know any more about that?

On the bus front First's 12, 23, 28, 29 and 30 are withdrawn from Sunday 9th with Stagecoach and Uno replacement services already running. Meridian's 31 WILL continue, despite several incorrect reports that it was closing.

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #31
Vnofd5
Lord of the Cornish Pasty

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Local boy Alsop blasts Northampton council designs

Likens one to a budget hotel

Six designs for a new head office for Northampton county council have been attacked by locally born architect Will Alsop.

Alsop, who recently split from Scott Lawrie who he founded All Design with back in summer 2011 after the pair left RMJM, said the designs for the new offices were dull with one resembling a budget hotel.

All six anonymous designs have been on public display at the town’s library this week with a winner due to be named later this summer.

The new £40 million building will consolidate the current 12 council buildings in the town into one which is expected to save £53,000 a week on running costs.

But Alsop said he was unimpressed by the six designs, telling the Northampton Chronicle: “They’re dull proposals, there’s no doubt about that. I teach architecture as well as practise it and if any of my students produced any of these designs I would have a serious word with them.”

He said design F was the dullest of all while design A looked like a budget hotel.
Design F:

Design A:

Rest of the designs: http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/e...jectAngel.aspx
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #32
Regeneration is cool

Likes (Received): 64

A email i got from the Grosvenor Centre manager.

Dear Mr Robinson,

Firstly, apologies for the delay in responding to your email a combination of workload and holidays.

We were very pleased to receive your message. It is always helpful to hear directly from the people who use the Grosvenor Centre. We actively seek views from the community whenever we have major proposals to discuss, but are glad of feedback at other times too.

The Grosvenor Centre’s owners agree completely that investment will be needed to maintain its pivotal role in drawing shoppers into Northampton’s town centre. You seem to have followed progress closely enough to realise that the owners have never been in a position to make significant changes on their own. Those changes need the approval of the community, through the planning process, the agreement of neighbouring landowners and the willingness of tenants, such as retailers and leisure operators, to locate in the spaces we create.

It has taken some years for a consensus to develop on the shape of the town centre. Meanwhile, that town centre has experienced growing competition from out-of-town retail parks. There can be no firm decisions about the future of the Grosvenor Centre until it is known whether last month’s planning inquiry into the proposals for Rushden Lakes has accepted evidence of the massive damage that the proposed retail park will inflict on Northampton, Rushden, Kettering, Wellingborough and Bedford town centres. Both retailer demand and footfall from shoppers will be insufficient to support expansion proposals if Rushden Lakes goes ahead.

The Grosvenor Centre’s owners continue to invest in the centre: on tenant fit-outs, new technology, maintenance, cleaning, security and marketing, for example. It remains a busy, attractive place to shop and continues to attract popular retailers. It goes from strength to strength as a destination for popular fashion brands.

Investment is also being used to keep the Grosvenor Centre firmly embedded in the Northampton community. I’ll mention just three current examples:
• Ping! Throughout this summer, we are offering visitors to the shopping centre free facilities to play social and competitive table tennis. Bats and balls are provided, and each ping pong table includes a series of master-classes, competitions and activities.
• Fee Free For A Year: with Northampton well established as a student town, the Grosvenor Centre is keen to support the provision of learning opportunities for all. We are currently running a competition for a year’s worth of tuition fees for one university student, resident or studying in Northampton.
• Town Centre Apprenticeships: we have also agreed to sponsor a small number of enhanced apprenticeships in the town centre, so that unemployed school leavers in the town can benefit from the Northampton Alive regeneration programme led by the borough council.

In answer to your question, I can confirm that there is nothing confidential in this reply and I hope it gives you a sense of how we see the Grosvenor Centre’s role in Northampton. If you do post it on a forum, as you suggested, I hope you will encourage other members and readers to continue spending their money in the town centre wherever possible.

With best wishes
Regeneration is cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #33
MK Tom

That's interesting... What did your original message to them say?

In other news, First discontinued service 4 yesterday, leaving them with only two routes in Northampton. The legacy of Northampton Transport will die completely on September 14th. First also embarrassed themselves yet again by accidentally announcing the end of the 4A instead of the 4, one day before the latter's withdrawal. As such many passengers today will be standing around for a bus that will never come again...

Meanwhile, there's progress on the woefully inadequate new bus station as I saw on Saturday:

image hosted on flickr

There's also progress at the railway station which I'll upload pictures from whenever I can get round to it.

Fairly exciting times in town to be fair. It's keeping me interested while MK goes through a bit of a development lull.

Old August 12th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #34
begsy

Likes (Received): 69

Lived in Northampton for many years. it's good to see the council are finally getting there act together and developing the town center.
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #35
Regeneration is cool

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Tom View Post
That's interesting... What did your original message to them say?

In other news, First discontinued service 4 yesterday, leaving them with only two routes in Northampton. The legacy of Northampton Transport will die completely on September 14th. First also embarrassed themselves yet again by accidentally announcing the end of the 4A instead of the 4, one day before the latter's withdrawal. As such many passengers today will be standing around for a bus that will never come again...

Meanwhile, there's progress on the woefully inadequate new bus station as I saw on Saturday:

image hosted on flickr

There's also progress at the railway station which I'll upload pictures from whenever I can get round to it.

Fairly exciting times in town to be fair. It's keeping me interested while MK goes through a bit of a development lull.
You requested.

From time to time i visit Northampton on my own or with friends. On all visits we come to the Grosvenor Centre. The shopping centre is in desperate need of redevelopment because frankly the town centre needs better shopping facilites as well as leisure and many other things. I can appriciate that work on any such improvment scheme for the centre cannot start until the demolition of Greyfriars Bus Station is complete which won't be for atleast another few years. Northampton has been waiting on a antisapated annoucement on the Grosvenor Centre redevelopment for months now. It's about time we heard something we are simply fed up of waiting for any such annoucement to come through. We all know that the previous plans got thrown out last year because they were not commercially viable. We were told that fresh plans were going to be worked on but has since not heard anything about them. Every year of uncertainty about this development is harming the town centre and the local ecomomy. I am hopeful that you will be able to cast some light over mine and not just mine but other peoples issues. If the information in your reply is confidential and must be kept private please confirm this in part of the email because i am autistic and if not told properley will put the information contained in the reply onto forums on the internet about projects in Northampton town centre.
Regeneration is cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #36
MK Tom

Northampton isn't very strong economically at the moment, and I can see it being some time before anything goes ahead with Grosvenor. I'm expecting Greyfriars to stand empty for a while really.

On a more positive note, the rail station redevelopment is underway. My picture below shows the hole where the station building will go; note also that the footbridge is now well under demolition. Its temporary replacement (visible behind the current building) is an absolute mountain that takes ages to climb up, but affords some great new views of the station. The road past the station is also seeing utility works in connection with the Enterprise centre going up on the other side of the street from the station.

image hosted on flickr

Old September 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #37
david_van

Planning application submitted for new £330 million University of Northampton campus

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...mpus-1-5453524

An outline planning application for the University of Northampton’s new £330 million Waterside campus in the town centre has been submitted to the borough council.

The proposed new campus on the 55-acre Avon Nunn Mills site will replace the university’s existing sites in St George’s Avenue and Boughton Green Road.

If approved, it is hoped groundwork on the site could start next year, with the campus opening in autumn 2018.

Professor Nick Petford, vice-chancellor of the University of Northampton, said: “We have ambitious plans to continue developing our offering to students, staff and our local community through the development of a new campus in the heart of Northampton.

“Our students are the entrepreneurs of the future, building our new campus within the Northampton Enterprise Zone will offer our students a unique opportunity to work with enterprising businesses during their studies, building their employability skills through work placements and internships.

“We are pleased our proposals have received strong support from the local community. We have worked hard to create a campus development which will have great facilities for our students, staff and the community of Northampton.”

Councillor David Mackintosh, leader of Northampton Borough Council, said the campus plan was one of the “cornerstone developments for both the Waterside Enterprise Zone and Northampton town centre”.

He said: “This outline planning application is a major step forward for the project. If approved, it will pave the way for the University of Northampton to relocate to the heart of our business district.

“We believe it will help create research and development opportunities, making Northampton one of the most ambitious and progressive boroughs in the country.

“The application is now available for anyone to view through the planning pages on our website and we will bring it before the planning committee in due course.”

The outline planning application reveals details of the issues of the uses proposed across the site, the amount of development and access points, together with an indication of the heights, widths and lengths of proposed buildings.

The application is accompanied by an environmental impact assessment as well as detailed plans for a new bridge.

I really think this has the potential to transform the town, particularly now that the university has jumped up a couple of league tables quite dramatically (now in the Guardian's top 50!)
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #38
skyblue1987

Likes (Received): 21

Does anyone have any updated pictures from either the Northampton Bus Interchange or Train Station - they are 2 projects I am particularly interested in
Thanks in advance
skyblue1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #39
MK Tom

I should be up there some time this week so if I am I'll try to get something.

skyblue1987 liked this post
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #40
david_van

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue1987 View Post
Does anyone have any updated pictures from either the Northampton Bus Interchange or Train Station - they are 2 projects I am particularly interested in
Thanks in advance
Check out these pics on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/WayneBontoft/sta...299970/photo/1
https://twitter.com/NhamptonAlive/st...911232/photo/1
https://twitter.com/NhamptonAlive/st...038592/photo/1

In other news:

The Grosvenor Centre has announced a £3 million refurbishment which will see the entrances change, ceilings, lighting, floors and basically anything visible in the centre itself renewed and larger, completely refurbished toilets. More details here: http://www.northampton.gov.uk/news/a...llion-facelift

The plans for Sixfields Stadium will be submitted tomorrow for stadium redevelopment..

Delapre Abbey has received £3.6 million from the National Lottery for its restoration

The work to open the middle section of Abington Street will start in April 2014

Latest picture of the new student flats: https://twitter.com/NorthamptonEZ/st...422528/photo/1

And the university has leaped 40 places in the Times Good University Guide, after showing similar leaps in the Guardian etc.. A massive achievement that bodes well for the town's future IMO.

skyblue1987 liked this post

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: