search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 9th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #81
david_van

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regeneration is cool View Post
Hello.

What about the god dam bloody Grosvenor Centre.

I have not been to Northampton for a while how is the so called refurbishment of the Grosvenor Centre coming along.

Are the toilets open again yet.
If I say that I rarely shop there, I guess that would be a general indictment of the situation. Last I saw, the toilets were closed and I haven't noticed any works anywhere else, which you'd think is cutting it fine if they plan to replace all the flooring etc by Autumn.

Surely a decision on Rushden Lakes has to be made eventually, too.
david_van no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #82
david_van

Rushden Lakes has finally won approval.
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #83
dinp

Likes (Received): 298

Disappointed but not surprising from Pickles
dinp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #84
david_van

The news today is that Northampton BC has terminated its agreement with Legal and General and is working on an alternative retail/leisure scheme for the Greyfriars area.

Also planning has been granted for Chiquito and Coast to Coast at the old Red Hot unit in Six Fields. No fan of the former, but the latter is pretty good judging by its Leicester branch.

Last edited by david_van; July 14th, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #85
Regeneration is cool

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_van View Post
The news today is that Northampton BC has terminated its agreement with Legal and General and is working on an alternative retail/leisure scheme for the Greyfriars area.

Also planning has been granted for Chiquito and Coast to Coast at the old Red Hot unit in Six Fields. No fan of the former, but the latter is pretty good judging by its Leicester branch.
Regarding the alternative scheme for the Greyfriars site I have read something that says that work might/will begin in Autum 2015.

It also says that work to refurbish the Grosvenor Centre is well underway is that true.
Regeneration is cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #86
david_van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regeneration is cool View Post
Regarding the alternative scheme for the Greyfriars site I have read something that says that work might/will begin in Autum 2015.

It also says that work to refurbish the Grosvenor Centre is well underway is that true.
Last time I was at the Grosvenor centre, most of the ceiling had been removed ready for replacing, the toilets have been closed for some time and boardings have gone up advertising the imminent arrival of Next. Boots has also just announced that it's carrying out a full refit of its store (which is a large one by local standards).
Old August 1st, 2014, 12:17 AM   #87
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 321

Just a quick photo from my bus to work today:

Seems to be coming on nicely!

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #88
MK Tom

Two photos of the new rail station whilst passing on a vintage bus on Saturday:

And demolition is now underway on the brown brick building you walk past going from the station towards Gold Street:

Curious to know if the council actually have any plans to put anything on that site!

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
Old September 29th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #89
david_van

I believe that the brown brick building site will be used as part of the new entrance into town with nods to Northampton's heritage etc.. Nothing in detail as of yet.

A few other updates:

Northampton Station's opening has been delayed from the 6th October by a month due to unforeseen contractual problems surrounding the power supply. Network Rail posters have gone up saying something along the lines of "Network Rail is working hard to open your new station as soon as possible". Otherwise it's looking great, especially when it's lit up at night.

In related news, Northampton will see some improvements to its rail service from the December timetable including Mon-Fri 2 new non-stop services to Euston at 7.16 and 7.42 and the 17.13, 18.13 from Euston stopping only at MK Central before continuing non-stop to Northampton amongst other changes.

University of Northampton's 'innovation centre' had a topping out ceremony a few weeks ago and is well on its way. The University has also secured loans via the council for its planned new town centre campus.

Work has started on 'enhancing' Guildhall Road to create space for al fresco dining.

And rather amusingly, Weston Favell Shopping Centre has just announced its own revamp, which at this rate may well finish before the Grosvenor! http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk...ail/story.html

MK Tom liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:50 AM   #90
Mwmbwls

Likes (Received): 862

Big Bang Theory and Practice

The Greyfriars Bus Station in Northampton is to be demolished. The Northampton Chronicle reports:

Quote:
A ‘controlled, initiated collapse’ will see the building once dubbed the ‘mouth of hell’ reduced to rubble in about 10 seconds, it has been revealed.
After months of painstaking work to strip the interior of the asbestos-laden Greyfriars bus station, the outer frame of the town centre building is now set to come down in one go.
The company in charge of the demolition, DSM Ltd, said that bringing the 1974 building down ‘brick-by-brick’ as originally intended, would be too costly and time consuming.
Instead, a ‘controlled initiated collapse’ will take place on a day before the end of March, the firm has revealed. The process will bring down the building within its own footprint in a matter of seconds.
Making the announcement, the leader of the council, Councillor David Mackintosh (Con, Rectory Farm) said: “I am very pleased that this method of demolition– a controlled initiated collapse – means that Greyfriars can be brought down very quickly and that the [surrounding] area can be cleaned up and re-opened all on the same day, so that life can get back to normal in the town as quickly as possible.”
Letters are due to go out to businesses and nearby residents informing them of the plans. The actual site clean-up afterwards was likely to take “several weeks”, he added.
Contracts manager for DSM, Billy Young, who is leading the demolition project, said the chosen method was the most cost-effective way of bringing the reinforced concrete structure down.
DSM took over the contract in August and Mr Young added that the site was now clear of asbestos.
The overall cost of the scheme has now increased from the projected £4m to £5m.
Councillor Mackintosh said the cost was justified as the former bus station was “an obsolete, unsafe building” that was blocking the regeneration of a key site in Northampton.
“The costs have increased as the time of the demolition has lengthened and the asbestos was found,” he said. “What we are clear about is that the benefits for the town will be the release of that site. The extra money is justified in order to do this.”
Contracts manager for DSM, Billy Young, said the firm explored taking the building down ‘brick-by-brick’ and also considered the use of ‘ultra high reach’ machinery to dismantle it in stages from the outside. But he said two ‘lateral beams’ discovered during the interior demolition of the site changed its approach. The supporting beams could well have collapsed the rest of the building if removed, meaning a ‘controlled collapse’ was the only viable option. The contracts manager, who has more than 30 years’ experience, said Greyfriars would be by no means his toughest task. He said: “I’ve brought down solid steel buildings so a bit of re-enforced concrete isn’t going to worry me.”
Mwmbwls está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #91
Regeneration is cool

Northampton Station's opening has been delayed from the 6th October by a month due to unforeseen contractual problems surrounding the power supply.

Guess what this has been delayed again. The issue has still not been sorted out. They are now saying that it will open at the end of November. This is not good news for Northampton at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-29936887

MK Tom liked this post
Old December 1st, 2014, 11:18 PM   #92
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8589

So... Is it open yet? I mean, it looks amazing and such an improvement over the terrible station that was there before.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 12:28 AM   #93
Regeneration is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
So... Is it open yet? I mean, it looks amazing and such an improvement over the terrible station that was there before.
You nicked my sentence I was going to put that.

All the same this project is taking the piss now just bloody open it already.
Old December 13th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #94
david_van

Announced yesterday that the train station will open no later than 12 January.

Pumpkin Cafe and the small one by the entrance are to be no more. They will be replaced by Starbucks and Cafe Republic (although I suspect the Press Release has gotten it wrong and it should be 'Coffee Republic').

WH Smith and Enterprise Car Rental also moving in.

It will come as a relief to know that the lower bridge and lifts will be opening this coming Monday (15).

Grosvenor Centre refurb is coming along well. The new flooring looks and feels a lot more expensive whilst the ceilings are being replaced with 'panels' of a description. Primark will be opening next Thursday and will no doubt increase foot fall. It's no House of Fraiser but then I always found the Northampton branch of HoF underwhelming. Haven't heard anything about Ed's American Diner lately but I'm assuming that it's still on course to open in January in the old Disney shop. Boots have just completed a refurbishment which has increased the number of beauty concessions in the store and expanded product range in general.

University of Northampton's massive £300 million project to build a town centre campus has now been backed by the treasury. I think this will be crucial to the town's development going forward.

MK Tom liked this post
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #95
MusicMan1

Likes (Received): 115

GREYFRIARS BUS STATION DEMOLITION ON THE NEWS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN5aEoysehA
MusicMan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #96
Daviegraham
Davie

Likes (Received): 158

Grew up in Northamptonshire, glad to see "the mouth of hell" finally gone! Almost awesome in its sheer ugliness.
Daviegraham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 03:06 AM   #97
MK Tom

It kind of makes me sad at the same time!

Never again to hear those immortal words...

"Safety announcement. Will you please hold the handrail."

Old April 16th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #98
yaqamardin

Likes (Received): 11

Chiquito Northampon (sixfield)

yaqamardin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:34 PM   #99
Regeneration is cool

Dardania liked this post
Old June 9th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #100
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

I gather that is the Gosvenor Centre. It was deperate for a refurb but the wider town centre is far more desparate to see it all redeveloped. That is after all why the old bus station was demolished.

The fundamental problem with the Grosvenor Centre is that it, with Greyfriars and Lady's Lane forms a massive wall that separates the northen part of the town centre from the rest of it.

Unless the Grosvenor is redeveloped, nobody is going to redevelop on the old Bus Station site because it is so removed from everything else.

And another thing - with the contemprary refurb who has decided to keep those stupid heritage benches in the malls - could they be replaced?
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: