search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2017, 12:48 AM   #121
ben77

Likes (Received): 430

I thought the reclad carpark looked pretty nasty so i'm hoping they we end up with something better now.. Having said that i doubt the council have the funds or willing to really do this justice..
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:56 AM   #122
WillPS

Likes (Received): 4

Glad to hear the car park is going - but I don't see how they could begin demolition in June. The bus routes could all be moved to other city centre bus stops (although that in itself would cause problems) - remember that bus operators have to give 56 days notice to VOSA in order to change their timetable or route.

National Express needs a better base - the 'new' (now about as old as the 'old' one was when it went!) Victoria Bus Station doesn't have the capacity nor adequate facilities. Is there an obvious patch of land that could house them temporarily? I can't think of any which could be turned around in a couple of months!!

As with anything with Broadmarsh I take 'starting work by...' with a massive pinch of salt. [optimism]I am wondering whether Intu are starting to realise that their investment in Victoria Centre has not achieved much, and the lower hanging fruit could be down at Broadmarsh. Certainly there are less unsolvable (without a rebuild) problems down there.[/optimism]
WillPS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:03 AM   #123
mf121

Likes (Received): 74

There is a large plot of land next to the train station car park.

I dont see why the coach station shouldnt be near the train station. If you genuinely want to make that area a transport hub why not link the tram, coach and train station altogether in 1 place.

Nottingham coach station is such an inefficient use and waste of space for a station anyway.

Theres no reason why coaches cant just park side by side in 20 bays at an angle. A coach station can take so little room if you wanted it to.
mf121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 03:34 AM   #124
sparkrs

Likes (Received): 25

Heres my take on this excellent news.

Scenario 1 - BMCP is demolished and a rejig of the Broadmarsh happens, BHS, Argos Boots is cleared opening up a street, with the new BM filling out onto the newly flattened car park designed something iconic like the Bullring. Parking then replaces all the shops on Tanners walk and is hidden underground like VC.

Scenario 2 - Something like the TK Maxx building on Milton street with the car park enclosed and hidden with apartments and retail include.

I think something like S2 is what we will end up with,
sparkrs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:53 AM   #125
kevjs1982

Likes (Received): 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
National Express needs a better base - the 'new' (now about as old as the 'old' one was when it went!) Victoria Bus Station doesn't have the capacity nor adequate facilities. Is there an obvious patch of land that could house them temporarily? I can't think of any which could be turned around in a couple of months!!
Station Street? East Midlands Trains had a temporary ticket office just opposite Loxley House / Capital One and no doubt with some negotiation that area could be brought back into use for National Express. The road also handled plenty of buses during the Nottingham Blockade so no-reason why it couldn't handle the coaches.

As for Trent Barton - less need for the bus station - as with the Nottingham Blockade there's Lace Way/Poplar Street for stabling buses (although if you were going over there surely the Trent Barton depot would be as useful). The terminating services (i5 - anything else?) could either go down the train station or Vic Bus Station.

However - haven't the enabling works for the re-routing of the southern relief road been complete (apart from the bottom of MMW itself)? Could we therefore see Canal Street being closed for through traffic just before the bus station is closed, with temporary bus stops for Trent Barton being placed either side of Canal Street (outside of Castle Car Park) so they can set down/pick up in both directions (with NCT continuing their existing routes).
kevjs1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #126
sherwood199

Likes (Received): 956

I agree with those comments and think the structural integrity of the carpark has driven NCC down this, unexpected, path of demolition. As itís unplanned it must be blowing a massive hole in their budget. Hopefully this wonít affect the linear park proposal for Collin Street as this is funded via D2N2 and should be safe from re-allocation. The rebuild costs will be high though and will need to come from somewhere.

To replace the carpark Ďas isí with 1150 spaces (based on the average construction cost of £8k per space) then this would cost £9.2m. Add in a couple of million for the bus station and some retail units then, like Binge says, itís about £11m minimum. Clad the carpark though and add in some high quality retail space then the price is much greaterÖ

Interestingly the average cost of underground parking is £12.5k per space, so for 1150 underground the bill would be £14.3m, put the Bus station on top and use the rest of the space for public space and you are looking at £16m+.

From here you can play with these figures, you could for instance, put 750 spaces underground for the same price as 1150 above ground. Does the city actually need 1150 spaces in one carpark here I wonder ? Could this not be split and delivered via rooftop and underground parking ? Having 2 new smaller carparks at either end of the centre is another good example. You would really hope NCC wonít just replace as is and will instead look at the whole southside plan again and assess where the most appropriate locations would be. The current carpark site is at the centre of southside and would be much better suited for the skills hub or even the cinema. For me, the chance to integrate the tram and bus station with a new build on Popham Street is a tantalising opportunity which Iím sure will be missed though.

A massive headache for NCC will be the interim processes, with Sovereign house NCP recently closing too, over half the parking provision in the south of the city centre will be lost during construction. Where will all the people who park here and work at Loxley, CapOne or Parexel now park ? where will people park for Arena events and what will happen at Christmas 2017 ? Diggers are onsite at the Skills Hub, readying this for a temporary surface carpark but where will the buses go ? Lotís to sort out and quickly if they want to start in JuneÖ

I am cautiously optimistic though, the current carpark must be amongst the 5 worst buildings in the city centre, its going so that's great news....

sherwood199 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #127
kevjs1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood199 View Post
Where will all the people who park here and work at Loxley, CapOne or Parexel now park ?
RE: Loxley - the staff there get a bit of a discount on bus passes - I dare say they'll be trying to encourage that a bit more...

17/00390/NFUL3 says 206 spaces temporary short term spaces on Popham Street - guessing the all day parking discounts will be gone!

Quote:
where will people park for Arena events and what will happen at Christmas 2017 ? Diggers are onsite at the Skills Hub, readying this for a temporary surface carpark but where will the buses go ? Lotís to sort out and quickly if they want to start in JuneÖ
Any prospect of some temporary parking on Eastside between City Link and Great Northern Close? That location would be just as close for the workers and closer for the Arena. Would also help getting the cycle links the council want between Sneinton and the Canal bought forward...
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #128
Bingethink

Likes (Received): 399

Oh...

Quote:
A council spokesman said the local authority was also potentially looking at restoring the car park and bus station, without having to demolish, but it was applying for the necessary permissions ahead of any decision.

The council will consider where the buses and cars that use the car park would go during demolition as part of deciding how best to take the plans forward.

The spokesman said: "We are exploring two possible options for how to redevelop the Broadmarsh car park – one is to refurbish it in its current state, the other is to demolish and rebuild it.

"We are closing in on taking a decision in the next couple of months but haven't yet committed ourselves to either option at this stage.

"Nevertheless, if we took the decision to rebuild it, getting planning permission for demolition would be the first step in the process if we were not to fall back on programme and so we have submitted our prior approval notice now so that we could go ahead unimpeded."

More here.
Old March 8th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #129
nguba

Likes (Received): 79

Come on NCC! Do the right thing and demolish it!

CharlieP liked this post
nguba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #130
sherwood199

Interesting this, it's been 100% a refurbishment project for 2 years+ now. Something pretty serious must have happened over the past couple of weeks to put demolition on the table. The demolition plans are from Faithful and Gould (the project managers) and are dated 17th Feb.

Here's an interesting cached document which gives lots of details of the project. It would/will provide over 48,000sqft of commercial space, that's a lot to fill in that location...

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=uk
Old March 8th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #131
Mark.L

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Interesting this, it's been 100% a refurbishment project for 2 years+ now. Something pretty serious must have happened over the past couple of weeks to put demolition on the table. The demolition plans are from Faithful and Gould (the project managers) and are dated 17th Feb.

Here's an interesting cached document which gives lots of details of the project. It would/will provide over 48,000sqft of commercial space, that's a lot to fill in that location...

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=uk
It was when they looked into adding those large TV screens and realised the walls could not take the weight

sherwood199 liked this post
Mark.L no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #132
kevjs1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.L View Post
It was when they looked into adding those large TV screens and realised the walls could not take the weight
The amount of random scaffolding that appears and disappears on the car park can't be a good sign. Some of the repair works done last year are already looking very iffy.
Old March 30th, 2017, 03:36 PM   #133
Daviegraham
Davie

Likes (Received): 158

Demolition has been approved according to the planning portal. Has a start date of June 2017, finishing in November.
Daviegraham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #134
Bingethink

Presumably, they're still deciding if it needs demolition??
Old March 31st, 2017, 06:48 PM   #135
ben77

Likes (Received): 430

Or waiting for it to come down naturally..
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:21 PM   #136
sherwood199

Here, I think, is a perfect example of what could be achieved on Collin Street, it even has evergreen trees, water and a kids play ground This use to be a surface car park I think...

Old April 5th, 2017, 01:25 AM   #137
sherwood199

Good news here, confirmation of the demolition of the Broadmarsh Carpark (£1 million) and design and build of a replacement (£35 million)....

http://committee.nottinghamcity.gov....20-%202022.pdf
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #138
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4413

I wonder what they have in mind for Crocus Place? Perhaps the redevelopment of some more warehouse units around the southside area?

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:39 AM   #139
Bingethink

Quote:
Good news here, confirmation of the demolition of the Broadmarsh Carpark (£1 million) and design and build of a replacement (£35 million)....
Tremendous news. Allows for much better integration of new retail units with pedestrianised Collin Street and no need to slam horrible coloured plastic cladding onto the concrete.

Imagine this scene, but with a better finish on the car park:

I could begin to be quite hopeful if this happens. The weight of good stuff (Collin Street, new tram stop, new skills hub, new car park) could overwhelm the mediocrity of Broadmarsh. Here's another image from the brochure announcing the original car park plans.

Imagine if you could persuade national brands like Timberland to open shops or restaurants on this top bit of Carrington Street, either in the handsome Victorian buildings on the left, or the new double height glass-fronted units in the car park. Suddenly, Broadmarsh kind of loses its power as the first "proper" bit of Nottingham city centre you come across. It's still mediocre, but it doesn't matter as much.

Also, I wonder how this affects the bridge over Collin Street??

(Are we sure that the document that you've linked to definitely means the demolition will happen, or just that they have allocated the cash to pay for it if it needs to??)

Last edited by Bingethink; April 5th, 2017 at 02:07 AM.
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #140
sherwood199

It's extracted from the 2017-2022 NCC Procurement plan which goes in for approval next week. The budget of £35 Million is a massive increase from the original refurb budget so very promising indeed. Talking that kind of budget then even an underground carpark would potentially cost in!

With you Binge on that, a linear park on Collin Street and the removal of this carpark are potentially excellent news. If NCC manage to screen off Broadmarsh with tree planting we can all forget it's there and walk around it and enjoy the new park and restaurants opening onto it from the site of the current carpark :-) The city actually doesn't need the offering intu are proposing so hopefully we can all ignore it and just let intu waste their cash on another pointless scheme here... :-)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: