search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2016, 10:24 AM   #41
Wooderson

Likes (Received): 175

Plans passed:

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/mobil...gets-go-ahead/

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #42
ben77

Likes (Received): 430

Great news I really like this.. I know some on here don't feel the same but I think the quality looks good, it compliments the lace market, it's on a tricky site but could give a really nice landmark building on one of the main routes into the city.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #43
mapperleyred

Likes (Received): 109

How anybody can think this is a good idea is beyond me.

Absolutely shocking piece of urban design that will destroy the sight lines from the south and add another dreadful building to compliment those already surrounding Boots Island.

Desperate stuff.
mapperleyred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #44
pharmj

Likes (Received): 66

I'm keen on this. Has no impact on site line from London Road and there currently is no site from the East due to Biocity/garages etc. Far FAR better than currently what's there and a nice design from that last render

iamtheSTIG, Daviegraham liked this post
pharmj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #45
Bingethink

Likes (Received): 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmj View Post
I'm keen on this. Has no impact on site line from London Road and there currently is no site from the East due to Biocity/garages etc. Far FAR better than currently what's there and a nice design from that last render
Of COURSE it's better than an abandoned petrol station. It's not a bad design either. But the tower's in completely the wrong place.

The impact on the view of the Lace Market cliff isn't that it blocks it, it's that the height of the tower competes with St Mary's church for dominance of the view. Another really poor decision from the planning committee.

mapperleyred liked this post
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 12:24 AM   #46
pharmj

Likes (Received): 66

So does Southreef, the red apartment block, Jurys and Biocity depending which way you look at from. It would be absurd to turn down investment like this in a location stagnant for over a decade based on that arguement
Old September 25th, 2016, 02:03 AM   #47
Bingethink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmj View Post
So does Southreef, the red apartment block, Jurys and Biocity depending which way you look at from. It would be absurd to turn down investment like this in a location stagnant for over a decade based on that arguement
No, they don't. They all sit away from the cliff, separated by roads from it or, if you mean the 90s apartments in front of the cliff, they step down from St Mary's.
Old September 25th, 2016, 10:55 AM   #48
Karate_Kev
Kolymaaa

Likes (Received): 1607

not keen on this one either, I think Binge is right the tower is completely in the wrong place. This is the sort of development that would be perfect for the far side of the railway station or the southside gateway area
Karate_Kev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 10:55 PM   #49
ed_the_robot

Likes (Received): 43

The area surrounding this beloved cliff is in dire need of development. So for me it's a good move.

There is no point referring to it as some kind of Nottingham landmark, when the only way you can properly look at it is to walk past a run down area that's cut off from the city via roads and the hideous Broadmarsh.

Currently you take the steps down beside the contemporary and are greeted with wasteland, a back entrance to Broadmarsh, some housing that's cut off from the rest of the city and an abandoned pub.
ed_the_robot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 01:51 AM   #50
ben77

I think for me it just looks like a nice development of some quality (which is a rare thing in Nottingham). More akin to southreef less crappy jurys inn. A good building on the site of a petrol station on a round about surrounded mostly by shit 80/90s buildings, feels like a step in the right direction.
Old September 26th, 2016, 11:24 AM   #51
goosewing

Likes (Received): 110

Perfect site for this development, Nottingham has far better stretches of cliff - around the castle for example. This one is a mess of Victorian accretions and is largely hidden by development from the early 2000's anyway. In order to preserve something you don't need to keep all development restricted for miles around, merely allowing glimpses would be enough. The height of the buildings at the top of the cliff suggests its presence as well.

iamtheSTIG, sirstan74 liked this post
goosewing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #52
Bingethink

What's unique about the site is not the actual cliff itself, but the collection of handsome buildings that lead the eye up to the crowning glory of St Mary's. Now the eye will be distracted by the tower.
Old September 26th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #53
ben77

But doesn't this just block views of the faux Victorian warehouse style buildings with boxy window at the start of the cliff. I don't mind them but I prefer this..

goosewing liked this post
Old September 26th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #54
Karate_Kev
Kolymaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosewing View Post
Perfect site for this development, Nottingham has far better stretches of cliff - around the castle for example. This one is a mess of Victorian accretions and is largely hidden by development from the early 2000's anyway. In order to preserve something you don't need to keep all development restricted for miles around, merely allowing glimpses would be enough. The height of the buildings at the top of the cliff suggests its presence as well.
in fairness, they were probably championing People's/Central College and the Arndale Car Park when they built those too.

Some might see Lace Market cliffs as an under developed jewel that will be pretty much finished off for good with this development.
Old September 26th, 2016, 04:10 PM   #55
mf121

Likes (Received): 74

The tower is in a good spot. For those coming in from the South of the country into the city from the A60 on London Road, that corner will essentially mark the starting point of the city centre.

Couple that with the new Lace Market Studios tower thats just finished and if they could get a another tower built at the old Berlins it will complement a nice "residential looking" entrance to the city centre.

iamtheSTIG, mitch-nfffc liked this post
mf121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 12:37 AM   #56
mapperleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate_Kev View Post
in fairness, they were probably championing People's/Central College and the Arndale Car Park when they built those too.

Some might see Lace Market cliffs as an under developed jewel that will be pretty much finished off for good with this development.
It's sad that Nottingham folk are so desperate for development, that they are prepared to accept almost anything.

It's also sad that the lessons of the past have not been learnt. Incredible that a city that has been blighted for decades by awful urban design and planning would even consider this.

We're just spreading the ugliness of the city and destroying the best of it.

Shame on you all.

PingChowChi liked this post
Old September 27th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #57
mapperleyred

Just seen what's planned for the Bar Seven Site.

That will lift the area.

This will destroy the area.
Old September 27th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #58
ben77

Really, former Bar 7 development looks pretty weak with the potential to be much worse in reality. This seems pretty good quality to me with the developer having a pretty good track record in Nottingham and aiming at a more premium level than the usual student market.. Im sure many would gushing over this if it had another 15 floors.. At the end of the day the designs suggest to me that this will be a good quality, good looking building on a tricky fringe city centre site.. Great news all round,
.. Now if only Jury's Inn wasn't such a cheap pile of shit we'd have a nice little collection of mid rise towers in this area..
Old September 27th, 2016, 10:39 AM   #59
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4413

A reminder of what's to come:

Brick cladding examples, the example on the far right is an indication of the final product:

3D scale models of the towers interwoven cladding:

Its impact on the skyline:

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #60
Karate_Kev
Kolymaaa

I've nothing against the development itself, although it's nothing special let's be honest! For me it's the sort of development for me that should be being built on the Southside and certainly not obstructing and decentralising the view to St Marys and the Lace Market Cliff. There are so many better places that are crying out for this kind of development.

Seems to me that progress at any costs is not the way forward. This is not an exceptional development but it is destroying the view to what could be an exceptional selling point for the city. The cliffs are second only to Castle Rock, which as we know, has already been destroyed by similar 'progress at any cost' developments.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: