search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #21
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 223

That's what the council wpould like to see happening there - if you see their plans.

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #22
Lester Regen

Likes (Received): 0

I'll have look on their website. I wish they'd update the bigpicture site regularly, and the PAC site too. It's really frustrating not knowing what's going on.
Lester Regen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #23
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

btw way when I say plan - they've actually got a plan of the road with all the new designated areas on them, i.e seating, tree, lighting, out-door eating areas, etc on it.

Old September 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM   #24
SC051
Watching Leicester Change

Some bad news from the Mercury today:

SCULPTURE IS SCUPPERED
1 reader has commented on this story. Click here to read their views.
BY MARTIN ROBINSON AND RHIA CHOHAN

10:30 - 21 September 2007

Plans to put up a giant sculpture nicknamed the "McRib" in the city centre have been dropped.

The timber arch sculpture was planned as the centrepiece of a public square near Leicester's Clock Tower, along with water fountains.

But with some estimates of about £500,000, council leaders said it was too expensive, and not right for the area.

Concerns also included worries that drunken revellers would try to climb it and fall off, and it could be a magnet for troublemakers.

Coun Patrick Kitterick, the city's regeneration spokesman, had earlier dubbed the arch the McRib because of its shape and proximity to McDonald's.

He said: "We have decided to have a fresh look at that area and decide on a different scheme.

"Personally I was not convinced a sculpture of that size would complement that area of the city.

"We will go back to the drawing board and decide whether to have smaller sculptures or another large piece of art.

"It is certain that nothing will be in place before the Highcross Quarter is completed in 2008.

"We were worried that it could encourage anti-social behaviour and that people would attempt to climb it and hurt themselves."

Earlier this year, the city's previous administration put forward the proposals for the striking timber arch and fountains.

The work in High Street was to be part of the council's £19 million "Streets and Spaces" scheme to improve the appearance of the city's main shopping area.

Shoppers in the city centre yesterday said they backed the idea of dropping the huge sculpture.

Myrtle Scott, 72, of Leicester Road, Oadby: "I think they would be dangerous, especially with all the drunks at night. I don't really like the look of them."

Komal Valand, 29, of Belgrave Road, Leicester: "It looks like it would have taken up a lot of space.

"I don't really like the design, but it's something a bit more modern added to the city. It would have been nice."

Jenna Stafford, 18, Beaumont Leys said: "I think it's better they didn't do that. I'm sorry, but I think it's absolutely rubbish."

Naren Pandya, 63, Abbey Lane, Leicester: "I think these features would look nice. They might even have attracted tourism to Leicester."

link: http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...pNodeId=133851

Personally I liked them and made the area look good. The area needs a centrepiece in place.
SC051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM   #25
WOTZDA POINT
High-Rise Bungalow

Likes (Received): 32

WASTE OF MONEY, WASTE OF SPACE ; We allready have the iconic Clock Tower, why clutter up the area with a non-discript so called peice of art.

I'm glad the plan was dropped and don't see the point in coming up with anything else.
WOTZDA POINT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM   #26
candida

Likes (Received): 16

I don't think that the 'McRib' thing was the best that they could come up with, but the area around there, once it has been pedestrianised, will be quite big. They'll need to put something there, but £500,000 for a few planks of wood is ridiculous.
candida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 07:54 PM   #27
MWRIGH17

I don't think the Mcrib sculpture would have been either in the right place or particulalry aesthetic. The clock tower is the feature and there's no point in putting anything dominating in front of it or taking up more space than is necessary. Furthermore, I don't think this location should have the tag 'world class square'. That's what we need to create in the market place area.

I think simple water features, probably one that are walk through so won't collect rubbish, would set off the Clock Tower. I was disappointed that the 'mushroom' fountain', proposed for the other end of Gallowtree Gate some years back, was never constructed.
MWRIGH17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 08:37 PM   #28
Lester Regen

Do they plan to have something else instead? How's High Street looking at the moment?
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:27 PM   #29
candida

Likes (Received): 16

The same, but with no buses.
candida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM   #30
MWRIGH17

Quote:
Originally Posted by candida View Post
The same, but with no buses.
It's not quite the same. There are large sections, 3 I think, from the Royal Arcade towards the clock tower on Irish's side that are fenced off and dug up ready to lay the concret base on which the new paving sits. I guess that section will be completely concreted and hopefully repaved before Christmas.

I haven't been down the the PAC for a month and at that point they were half way towards concreting the area so I guess by now they have started paving.
MWRIGH17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:23 PM   #31
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

The area around the clock tower is getting dug up too.

Old September 21st, 2007, 11:23 PM   #32
Lester Regen

What are the times scales for it all to be finished?
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM   #33
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 2

half a millon pounds, wot ******* planet are these sculpture nob heads living on, or is that the price after the councillors have had there dip

but to claim that an idea should be shelved cos drunken people will climb it is a silly reason, ive drunkenley climbed the clock tower at least three times and that hasnt been taken down
braunstone geezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #34
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Flattened concrete has now been placed on different sections of High Street to prepare the surface for the new paving.

Old October 20th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #35
outsider1

Are all the streets being laid with the same materials, and style? As i recently went down Market Street (I think, the one with Fenwicks on), and that looks really impresive, and is a vast improvement on the previous set out.
outsider1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #36
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

All the streets will evetually be constructed in the same materials to give a 'unifrom' look. Market Street has seen a vast increase in trade since the pedestrianisation btw (according to the Mercury), as has High Street since it's been closed to traffic.

See: Leicester City Council Streets + Spaces website

Quote:
TRAFFIC-FREE IS BEST FOR TRADE

BY JENNY CORNISH
CHIEF POLITICAL REPORTER

10:30 - 13 September 2007

A street has been such a roaring success since it was pedestrianised that traders want their traffic-free time to be extended.

Market Street was given a £750,000 makeover earlier this year as part of the city council's "Streets and Spaces" regeneration.

It has become mostly traffic-free with only loading and unloading allowed until 11am.

Now traders say the cafe culture has become so popular they would like to banish vehicles after 10am.

Council bosses say they will agree to a trial period to see how it works out.

Andy Thomas, the council's head of city centre development, said: "We're very pleased with the lay-out in Market Street. We're entering it for an award and we hope it will be successful. We're proud of it.

"The traders of Market Street have asked us if we would consider making the loading restrictions even earlier.

"Most of the traders would like to put their tables out earlier because they think it's such a positive environment. Across the city centre the standard is 11am. They've asked us if we can put it back to 10am. We propose to look at doing that on an experimental basis to see if it works.

It's a nice atmosphere, people are sitting out there outside the various establishments and just enjoying the street. It does work I think and we're very proud of it."

Fenwick store director David Illingworth said: "It's made a huge difference to the street. It's not just traders saying this, it's members of the public as well. There's been an extremely positive reaction.

"Because of the way the street's laid out there's more room for pedestrians. We're highly delighted with the finish of the road as well.

"We've seen the benefits of having the street pedestrianised, on Saturdays it's pedestrianised all day long.

"We've requested that the hours of pedestrianisation are extended. I think it would be a very positive thing for shoppers in the street.

"When the street was finished everybody experienced an increase in footfall and trade. There's a good feeling of wellbeing in Market Street now.

"We had to go through some difficult times while the work on Market Street was carried out but the change, from having an actual road with yellow lines, to this pedestrianised area, is quite startling."

The new paving on Market Street was estimated to be finished by April this year but was finally completed over the summer.

As part of the regeneration, 12,000 granite slabs have been laid and polished pink granite seating, new bins, cycle racks and lamp columns have been installed.

The refurbishment is part of the council's £19 million plan to transform most of Leicester's main shopping streets by 2008.
Leicester Mercury website, Sept 13th, 2007

Last edited by Leicity82; October 20th, 2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #37
outsider1

It should be great when its all finished. I cant believe they've missed Belgrave Gate out of the scheme (or have I missed something), thats the worst street in town, at the moment. Especially with it being so close to the new highcross development.
Old October 20th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #38
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

We've argued that over and over again. However, alas it doesn't look like anything is going to happen to it in the immediate future.

Old October 20th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #39
outsider1

Does that area become pedestrianised once the new link road further up is built, or are the buses going to continue to use it?
Old October 20th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #40
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

I'm not sure, however I've a feeling that Churchgate and that part of Haymarket/Belgarve gate will still be used for buses-which is quite silly. I say that because the Clock tower revamp will only go as far as its current 'pedestrianised' limit, I think.

Tags
leicester, pedestrianisation, streets

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: