search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 100 votes, 4.92 average.
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM   #41
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Likes (Received): 61

I thought Crown House was the bit behind the high rise
Mark76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM   #42
Captain Redeye
SSC Highrise Nutter

Likes (Received): 1

This appears to be the latest appllication:

LOWER HILL STREET, CROWN HOUSE
CHANGE OF USE OF CROWN COURT BUILDING (NO USE CLASS) AND 8 STOREY EXTENSION TO PROVIDE 71 FLATS (CLASS C3), 3 RETAIL UNITS (CLASS A1), RESTAURANT (CLASS A3), GYM (CLASS D2); ANCILLARY PARKING (AMENDED)
Date Received: 13/08/2004
Decision Date: 08/11/2005
Decision: Conditional approval

So maybe this is what is now taking place

BTW Crown House is the whole building (there is, or used to be a name plaque and logo next to the door)

BG
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM   #43
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 222

Isn't that the planning application I posted the other day when I mentioned the car park bit was demolished. The tower is still there-I don't know who told you that it was demolished?

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM   #44
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

The former Colosseum Cinema on Melton Road, is currently being converted into a Banqueting Hall, shopping mall and conference hall. This has been going on for a few years, however I just noticed an advert for the development in the Mercury's Business section today. The lettings agent website has a profile of the property:

http://www.expressproperties.net/pro...roducts_id/189

There will be 37 retail units in the development; there are photos of the inside in the link above.

Here is a photo from that website:

Source: expressproperties.net

Last edited by Leicity82; August 21st, 2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM   #45
Captain Redeye
SSC Highrise Nutter

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs06 View Post

Isn't that the planning application I posted the other day when I mentioned the car park bit was demolished ...
Yes it's one and the same - sorry didn't look properly

BG
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM   #46
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

The development at the Fox and Tiger Pub on Granby Street, has actually been approved. I'm sure I read it was refused:

http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planni...AppNo=20071056

This is the render of the new building on Calais Hill:

Source: Leicester City Council website, planning application no: 20071056

Last edited by Leicity82; August 22nd, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM   #47
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

This is the render for the approved office/roof top restaurant scheme on the corner of Charles Street/Church Street (opp. Colton Square):

Source: Leicester City Council website planning application no: 20062029

Last edited by Leicity82; August 24th, 2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM   #48
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Mercury article about concerns over new housing in Belgrave, near the river:

Quote:
HOMES PLAN IS OPPOSED

BY TOM PEGDEN

10:30 - 22 August 2007

Residents are opposing plans to build 193 homes near the River Soar, fearing it will attract more traffic to the area and could affect the local floodplain.

People living near the planned £25 million development have signed a petition and written letters to Leicester City Council raising their concerns.

Some say it will turn their quiet cul-de-sac into a through-route for the new homes at the back of the Bestway cash and carry, off Loughborough Road, in Belgrave, Leicester.

Others fear it could take up land on the Soar's floodplain and cause other areas to flood.

A spokesman for Bestway Holdings today said there were no plans to build on the floodplain.

He added traffic, environment and flooding assessments had been carried out and the development would add character to the area, promote regeneration as well as providing affordable homes.

The company wants to build 68 houses - most three and four bedroom - as well as 84 two-bedroom and 41 one-bedroom flats.

Among those concerned are bosses at Leicester Outdoor Pursuits Centre, in Loughborough Road, who were recently denied planning permission for a new residential block because it would have been in the floodplain. Centre chairman Keith Tonks said: "We were surprised to see Bestway put in this application. I will be surprised if it goes through because it's by the floodplain.

"People need houses, and there is a shortage, but do you want green space and floodplains, or do you build everywhere. This amount of housing seems a lot in an area that might not be the right place for it."

Tom Morrison, 66, from Bath Street, said 40 people had signed a petition raising fears about traffic.

He said: "There's talk about opening this road up into the new estate and concern about heavy traffic.

"I'm not worried about the houses, just about opening up the road."

Neighbour May Buckley said: "It's bad enough with cars parked up here now. It's not a main road and I don't think it's fair."

Michael Adams, 58, from nearby Elsadene Avenue, said: "Parts of Britain have had massive problems this year with flooding and I consider it outrageous for a company to try and build houses here."

But Malcolm Carter, head of property at Bestway Holdings said they were not building on the floodplain, although talks had taken place with the Environment Agency to discuss what would happen during a major, one-in-100-year storm.

He said: "We have provided something in the order of 10 detailed, technical assessments, some looking at traffic, some environmental and some ecological looking at things such as trees."

Regarding Bath Street, he said there would be traffic controls in line with impact assessments. He said he was confident it would get permission and hoped work would start later this year.

Today, a city council spokeswoman said: "It's close to the plain, and we will be consulting the Environment Agency along with local residents and other local consultees."

Public consultation continues to September 4 and the application should go before a council planning committee in October.
Leicester Mercury website, August 22nd, 2007

Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM   #49
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Factory conversion application for Wheat Street:

http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planni...AppNo=20071552

Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:33 PM   #50
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

This is the proposed 10 storey residential/office building on Wharf Street South (where the current building of the former Leicester Hippodrome is-associated with the Elephant Man):

Architects: jsp architecture

Source: Leicester City Council, planning application no: 20071365

Old August 25th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #51
SC051
Watching Leicester Change

Likes (Received): 0

Has anyone read this from the Leicester Council Website?:

As one bridge closes, another opens�

no: 393-07
date: 23rd August 2007

A CITY centre bridge to nowhere is to be dismantled this weekend. And on Monday, the bridge which links Castle Gardens to the riverside will be re-opened.

Council engineers will start work in the early hours of Sunday morning to take down the Charles Street footbridge.

The bridge was put up in 1973 to enable shoppers to cross over Charles Street from the Haymarket Shopping Centre, but has been out of use for several years.

Businesses near to the bridge had complained it was becoming a target for anti-social behaviour.

The Westbridge Place footbridge will be officially opened on Monday. The bridge, which is owned by William Davis Ltd, was closed in 2004 on safety grounds when the timber decking became unsafe.

Cllr Patrick Kitterick, the city councillor responsible for regeneration will perform the opening ceremony. He will be joined by Dave Camp, commercial director at William Davis.

Cllr Kitterick said: �I am absolutely delighted that this bridge is finally to be re-opened. It�s something that myself and my colleagues have been campaigning for, for a long time, and I�m pleased that William Davis have made this final push for us to get it open for the Castle Park Festival.

�The Charles Street footbridge has been a cause for concern for local people for a long time, and I�m glad that after many years of wrangling, the council�s new administration has been able to sort this out�.

William Davis will hand the bridge over to the city council now that the remedial works are complete. The council had asked William Davis to provide a new ramp and steps to give disabled people better access to the bridge, and this work has also been completed.

The bridge will be open to the public from Saturday. The official opening ceremony will take place during the Castle park family fun afternoon, at 1.45pm on Monday 27th August.

The removal of the Charles Street footbridge work will require the closure of Charles Street from the Humberstone Gate junction to approximately 15 metres north of Kildare Street.

The closure will take place from around 4am on Sunday 26th August. Engineers are aiming to have the bridge removed and the road opened by 10pm on Sunday.

Some good news!! The old Charles Street Bridge was an eyesore!!

Article link: http://www.leicester.gov.uk/newssite....asp?pgid=8029
SC051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #52
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 2

sod the elephant man, lets build them flats instead,

anyway, the lumpy faced bastard never once mentioned leicester in the film version of his life, now hardly anyone outside leicester knows he was born here

his first job was to scare blind people by letting them feel his face

Last edited by braunstone geezer; August 25th, 2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: clumsy f****r must have walked into loads of walls
braunstone geezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #53
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

The proposed new apartments on Queen Street/St George Street are now on this link:

http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planni...AppNo=20071525

It will be 7 storey's in height. How great it would be if this and the other 9 storey scheme on Queen Street start together.

Last edited by Leicity82; August 28th, 2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #54
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark76 View Post
I thought Crown House was the bit behind the high rise
No, that was just the car park, which is now demoished and is where the 8 storey building is to be built (?)

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #55
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Hmm... yet more one bedroom apartments.

Can I get a "yay"?
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #56
braunstone geezer

i could do wiv a one bed shag pad, i nearly got caught messing about wiv my neighbours wife this morning
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #57
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Application for a 5-7 storey block of flats (yes flats) on Chatham Street and York Street. The application has been received since March 2005, with a decison expected in September:

http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planni...AppNo=20050607

Old August 29th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #58
Mark76
Penguin fancier

There'd better be a crapload of high paid office jobs coming into this city or my suspicions that we're becoming a dormer town for City whizzkids will grow stronger.

Mind you... as long as they spend their wonga here rather than in London or elsewhere I'm not fussed where they earn it.
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #59
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Well hopefully they'll work at nearby International House or the other offices. Though International House will have its own apartments.

I think all these flats are being built because there may be the demand, though I do hope office developments will counter-act the accommodation. Luckily the area has alot going for it in terms of offices.

Old August 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #60
braunstone geezer

there must be demand for flats, developers dont like to waste there money, they must know something we dont.

i reckon leicseters been sold off to somone by the council, well probaly end up in bulgaria or some other up and coming country, and that slimy bastard willmott will buy a country mansion in newtown linford

Tags
development, leicester

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: