search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 100 votes, 4.92 average.
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #101
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 210

WE WON THE CARBUNCLE CUP!!!

From the Leicester Mercury today...

Quote:
It has been named ugly, an eyesore and even described as a "stranded cruise ship" since it first appeared.

So, perhaps it is no surprise that Opal Court has been named the worst new building in the UK.

The blue, beige and white block of flats which has towered over De Montfort Street, in Leicester, has been awarded the 2007 Carbuncle Cup as Britain's worst building.

The award is run by the magazine Building Design. Readers nominate the buildings and vote for them on-line.

The magazine described it as "a textbook example of the insensitive development being allowed to creep across the country".

People living near Opal Court - which houses a block of student flats and a Subway restaurant - either love it or loathe it.

Margaret Smith, 73, who lives in Lancaster Road, compared the building with the bright blue St George's Tower in the city centre - which had also been nominated for the Carbuncle Cup but failed to make the shortlist.

She said: "I think it is the worst - along with that blue blob in the middle of town. You only have to look at it to see that it's just not nice. Who designs these things and gets away with it?"

Student Rehman Ramzan, 17, who had been to the Subway restaurant for lunch, said he liked it.

"It actually looks pretty good. I think people like it."

A student who lives in the building, but did not want to be named, defended her home.

She said: "I think it's quite cool. It doesn't look bad at all."

Rita Hunt and Richard Reynolds, work at the HSBC office behind Opal Court.

Rita, 43, said: "It's not an eyesore. And because it's next to our building it doesn't stick out."

But Richard, 32, said: "You do see it from a long way away and it's just a bland succession of rectangles. It hasn't been built with any imagination."

Stuart Bailey, chairman of Leicester Civic Society, said: "The design is not unattractive and it doesn't dominate the area too much, thanks to the trees.

"However, I'm not surprised to find it criticised because it does have a major design fault, which is a small centre courtyard, which means that many of the rooms just look out into this narrow Dickensian shaft, which isn't very nice."

However, David Taylor, senior partner at architects Stephen George and Partners, said he was "astonished" to find the building awarded the Carbuncle Cup.

He said: "We appreciate that design is subjective, and it was obviously not well received by some of the 400 participants on their on-line survey.

"But Opal Court was a design that delighted our client (a private developer), was supported by the city council and the students have been very impressed with the facilities."

Mr Taylor said the firm had recently been short-listed for two construction awards. Last week, the company won the Institute for Advanced Study Best Bespoke Development of the Year Award.
I don't think that Opal Court is that bad! Apparently St George's Tower is better then!!!
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #102
WOTZDA POINT
High-Rise Bungalow

Likes (Received): 32

Just plain rubbish cheap and tacky! No not the building but the award !

I can only think the Nimbys or the "big village brigade" or anyone with a phobia of tall buildings or cave dwellers would be against what is at present the tallest new generation high-rise in Leicester.

I like it,i feel it is a postive landmark well done council and stephen george architects it should actually be awarded the best new building in Leicester.
WOTZDA POINT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #103
Lears City
Look there, look there!

I like Opal Court too. It is an imposing building which really stands out when you pass it on the train. Compliments the HSBC HQ next door too.
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #104
WOTZDA POINT
High-Rise Bungalow

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs06 View Post
On the clock tower side of the former Littlewoods building they're erecting a a huge metal frame. Wishful thinking - but could it be the base for a huge LED display or TV screen as we've been discussing previously???
Yes saw this brown large metal bracket the other day. Yes i agree this would be a great place for an interactive screen.
WOTZDA POINT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #105
Lears City
Look there, look there!

That Haymarket structure does look like a new large screen. I notice that they have recently put one of these up in Derby city centre...
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #106
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 28

well... ugliest new building in the country.. now theres a title for you.. I wonder if st george will go up for the next award lol?

Follow Me - Twitter
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #107
Lears City
Look there, look there!

It looks like the Jury's Inn building in Nottingham to me...?

http://www.jurysdoyle.com/files/453/ce2da2c298.jpg
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #108
danz013
Robin Hood

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=507849

No lears, it dosn't

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #109
Lears City
Look there, look there!

The multicoloured part does...

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Lears City; October 9th, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #110
danz013
Robin Hood

lol... u picked the best angle on one picture.. and the worst angle on the other...

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #111
Lears City
Look there, look there!

No I didn't - I picked the first angles on Google that showed how similar the buildings are. You picked the best angle for your photos...

Do you agree they look similar from this angle?
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #112
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 222

I think that award is atrocious (if you can call it that)! I've seen far worse in other places and Leicester. Its different than the bog-standard boxes with square windows and plastic. Though it has square windows and some plasticy bits, at least they're different. Just my opinion.

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #113
philkeavo

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz013 View Post
lol... u picked the best angle on one picture.. and the worst angle on the other...
Jeez just get over yourself!
philkeavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #114
Lester Regen

Likes (Received): 0

Interestingly enough a programme on BBC1 went around asking people what they thought the worst buildings were in the region and suprise suprise the Haymarket made it, as did Maid Marion Way in Nottingham and somewhere in Derby. At the end of the day all cities have crap buildings. If Leicester had more high rise developments, especially near this one, it wouldn't have made it. How did St George's Tower not even get placed?!?!
Lester Regen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #115
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Not enough votes surprisingly enough!

Old October 10th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #116
Lears City
Look there, look there!

From the Leicester Mercury today

Quote:
A historic landmark could finally be knocked down early next year, it has been revealed.

The Bowstring Bridge, in the city's West End, has been earmarked for demolition for several years.

But Leicester City Council had to shelve the plans after it emerged it needed legal permission to close an old footpath over the bridge.

Now it is expecting to get the "stopping up order" by December this year.

The removal of the Dun's Lane landmark would clear the way for De Montfort University to build a £6million sports centre, including a swimming pool.

Councillor Patrick Kitterick, cabinet member for regeneration, said: "We're looking at the stopping-up order for several reasons. The bridge is in a dangerous state. It isn't in a fit state as a right of way.

"Development plans are being discussed with De Montfort University, which may involve the bridge being removed."

However, he added: "Nothing has been settled yet."

Leicester Civic Society and railway experts have been campaigning to save the former Great Central Railway bridge since it was proposed to demolish it several years ago.

Stuart Bailey, civic society chairman, said: "It's absolutely priceless. It's the only surviving bridge of its type on the whole of the Great Central Railway.

"It is a unique late Victorian engineering achievement. I'm outraged about the prospect of it being demolished.

"It is in poor condition but it doesn't have to be restored to run trains over it again. It would make a marvellous gateway entrance to that end of the De Montfort University campus.

"A new swimming pool would be wonderful, but it doesn't mean you have to destroy the Bowstring Bridge to do it."

The city council is continuing to monitor the bridge and carrying out work to ensure it remains safe while the stopping up order is obtained.

A city council spokesman said: "There is a legal requirement to formally close the right of way which passes over the Bowstring Bridge before any progress can be made to demolish it.

"The right of way is currently subject to a temporary closure, but we need to make it permanent to be able to remove the bridge.

"We will shortly be requesting the formal closure, which we hope will be complete by December."

In 2005, city council engineers said the former railway bridge could only just support its own weight and would need £775,000 worth of repairs.

The council then agreed in principle to knock the bridge down, unless anyone could pay to move it elsewhere and restore it.

But the council's legal department advised them that the bridge was still classed as a public highway, as it used to carry the Great Central Way footpath over the road.

A stopping-up order was needed from the Secretary of State.
Not sure how I fell about this one. It would be a shame to see the bridge go, but we need the sort of facility the Sports Centre will bring...
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #117
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 2

ha ha the ******* great big blue tower didnt win the ugliest building award, **** me

is there a developers award for the biggest ******* dickhead ever, cos surely the tower would win that one

**** me
braunstone geezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #118
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Mobile phone photo from today of the Crown House site (Lower Hill Street) from Lee Circle car park:

Apologies for the poor quality.

Old October 14th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #119
danz013
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
The multicoloured part does...

image hosted on flickr
Not at all.. very different.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #120
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

A decision on the 10 storey tower on Wharf Street south (former Hippodrome Building) will be made on 30/10/2007:

http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planni...AppNo=20071365

There's some scaffolding going up around the former telephone switching building on the same road, which was granted planning permission to be turned into apartments earlier this year.

Tags
development, leicester

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: