search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #41
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 210

It's Kasabian!!! What a shock...

Quote:
Kasabian announce huge homecoming gig at Leicester's Victoria Park
By Leicester Mercury | Posted: November 26, 2013

Kasabian will play a huge homecoming gig at Leicester's Victoria Park next summer.

The multi-platinum selling band, who have won Brit, Q and NME awards and played to hundreds of thousands of people all over the world, will come home to perform in the city on June 21.

About 35,000 tickets for the gig, which will mark the 10th anniversary year of their debut album, are set to go on sale at the end of this week.

It will be the first major gig at Victoria Park since Radio One's free One Big Sunday events, which saw stars including Kylie Minogue, Victoria Beckham and Coldplay playing to more than 100,000 people in 2001, and Supergrass and Alicia Keys performing in 2002.

Kasabian frontman Tom Meighan, guitarist and songwriter Serge Pizzorno and bass player Chris Edwards, who all grew up in Blaby and Countesthorpe, have wanted to put on a big show in Leicester for years.

In an exclusive interview with the Mercury to announce the gig, Serge said it would be one of the highlights of their career.

"It feels like it was just meant to be," he said.

"It's going to be the 10-year anniversary of the first album, so it feels right.

"It feels like we've been building up to this since the start. We're so excited. Hopefully the whole city will come alive."

Serge said he hoped the show would be inspiring to other musicians.

"We really want to do something to inspire the next generation of kids," he said.

"If you're a kid and you see a band from down the road play a big gig in your city... I hope that's inspiring.

"We had to travel round the country to see the bands we liked when we were young, so it's great to be able to do this."

Local support has always been important to the band, who put on three back-to-back gigs at De Montfort Hall and organised for two bus-loads of Leicester fans to attend an exclusive gig in London in 2009.

In 2011, they put on a "money-can't-buy" show in a hollowed-out Boeing 747 at Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground, near Lutterworth, as well as a gig with Radio 1 at the Leicester O2 Academy.

But they say the dream has always been to play to thousands of fans in their home city.

"We have done shows in Leicester, but the closest big gigs we've been able to do have been in Nottingham," said Chris. "This is what we've always wanted to do – put on something of this scale in Leicester.

"Though we've wanted to do it for ages, it's kind of good we didn't do it for our second or third album. Now, we'll have five albums' worth to choose from.

"It's going to be amazing. And, hopefully, it might be the start of more bands doing things at Vicky Park."

The band are currently working on their fifth album, details of which are being kept secret.

However, they said the aim is to release it in time for the Victoria Park show.

"We just can't wait, it's going to be mega," said Tom.

Leicester city mayor Peter Soulsby said it would be a great event for the city.

"Leicester is incredibly proud of Kasabian and we are delighted to host this homecoming concert to celebrate these local heroes," he said.

"There can be no doubt that this will be one of the musical highlights anywhere in the country next summer."

Andy Copping, spokesman for gig promoter Live Nation, said he was "overjoyed" that the gig was finally happening.

"Having worked with Kasabian from the very early days, it has been my dream to stage a really big homecoming show for them," he said.

"The band are very proud of Leicester and this means more to them then any other show they have ever played.

"I really hope the people of Leicester will get behind this event and celebrate the success of one of their own."

Kasbian will play at Victoria Park on Saturday, June 21.

Tickets, priced at £39.50, go on sale on Friday at 9am. Visit:

www.livenation.co.uk

www.ticketmaster.co.uk
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #42
Lears City
Look there, look there!

More on the approval for the concert.

Quote:
Kasabian show will go on – but residents bring it down from two-day event
By Leicester Mercury | Posted: November 26, 2013

Councillors yesterday approved a licence to allow the Kasabian gig to go ahead on Victoria Park – after hearing about residents' concerns over noise and traffic.

People living near the park, off London Road, had objected to plans by concert promoters Live Nation for a two-day event to be held between the start of June and the end of July.

Yesterday, Live Nation told a meeting of Leicester City Council's licensing committee it agreed to drop the second day.

Solicitor Phil Crier, representing the firm, said: "We have been working hard looking at whether two days is necessary and are prepared to concede the second day."

While the meeting heard the application was for an audience of 50,000, the Mercury has been told 35,000 tickets are to go on sale this week.

The Church of St James the Greater, opposite the park, has objected to the gig because it already has its own concerts booked on Saturday nights throughout the summer.

Live Nation has agreed to book the church on the night of the gig to avoid a clash.

Vicar Canon Glynn Richerby said: "Concerts attracting hundreds of people rather than thousands are still important."

The gig is expected to take place on June 21. However, the licence allows it to be staged on any day in a two-month period, in case it can not go ahead on the original date.

The stage will face the university and away from London Road and Victoria Park Road to reduce noise affecting homes.

Mr Cook said: "We're not naive enough to say it will not be an inconvenience to some. We accept that and apologise."

A condition was set that sound testing be carried out the night before during rush hour or after 10am on the day of the concert to reduce disturbance.
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/nd...ail/story.html
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #43
Lears City
Look there, look there!

On a less exciting note...

Quote:
Professor Green to headline Leicester Music Festival 2014

By Yasmin_Duffin | Posted: November 13, 2013

Professor Green latest name on Leicester Music Festival line-up
Comments (0)

Urban pop sensation Professor Green is the latest act to be announced on the star-studded line-up for next year’s Leicester Music Festival.

The chart-topper will take to the stage at the two-day event, to be held at Leicester Tigers’ Welford Road stadium from July 25.

The festival is the product of a partnership between two county businessmen who have promised to bring a big music festival to the city. One half of the partnership, Manoj Keshavji, who owns More restaurant, in London Road, Leicester, said: “We won’t just have big headline acts, they will be huge – enormous.

“We are more than over-the-moon that Professor Green will be performing and he is just a taste of what is to come.

“People will be amazed with who we have.

“Leicester has never seen anything like this – this is totally unique.”

So far, the other acts that have been announced on the line-up are music legends Billy Ocean and Soul II Soul.

A crowd of 22,000 is expected to take to the stands and the pitch to enjoy the show, which will include eight acts each day.

“The key thing is that we have different genres for everyone’s taste,” said Manoj. “And, the beauty is that people have the option of seats or standing.

“I’m really excited about this.”

Another big headline act is to be announced soon, Manoj promised.

“Imagine seeing these artists and for a whole day,” he said. “They won’t be playing just a few songs, they will each be performing for about an hour.”

The acts will start performing at noon on both days and finish at 10.30pm.

If it is a success, Manoj said he hoped the festival would become an annual event.

Music fans in Leicester said the festival was good news.

Kelly Bradley, 26, of Aylestone, said: “I love Professor Green.

“He makes such catchy songs, which are always on the radio. I can’t wait.”

Leon Black, 34, of Birstall, said: “I’ve lived in Leicester all my life and there’s rarely been any music festivals. I’ve always had to travel for them, so I’m looking forward to the Leicester Musical Festival.”

Clare Powell, 17, of Thurnby, said: “Me and my friends are Professor Green’s biggest fans, I cannot wait to tell them he is coming.”

Patricia Holmes, 42, of St Matthew’s, said: “I grew up listening to Soul II Soul.

“This festival will bring back memories.”

Shawn Jackson, 49, of Beaumont Leys, said: “Billy Ocean was the man.”

There will be 2,000 early bird tickets for each day put on sale, from midnight on November 25 until December 31.

The tickets will cost £37.50 per day and will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.

After the initial early bird period is over, ticket prices will start at £45.

Tickets will be available to buy from Ticketfactory.com.
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Pr...ail/story.html
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #44
Karate_Kev
Kolymaaa

Likes (Received): 1607

let's see..whenever I venture in to Leicester it's invariably to visit the superb market or one of the interesting 'asian' supermarkets that spring up around the city. I've always felt that Leicester never made enough of it's huge Indian population. Having just come back from Liverpool and having visited the Chinese area, with it's Chinese Arch, I feel that something connecting Leicester together is in order. What that is though I don't know.
Karate_Kev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #45
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 223

The 'Leicester Music Festival' (aka LMF) website: http://www.leicestermusicfestival.co.uk

Poster:
Image from: KKong Events Twitter Page

This could have been a good chance to use an image of Leicester in the background, rather than some generic urban scene.

Acts announced so far according to the website:
Professor Green
Billy Ocean
Soul II Soul
Stereo Nation
Aswad
The Real Thing

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!

Last edited by Leicity82; November 29th, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #46
Owlyross

Likes (Received): 2

Hits of the 80s plus Professor Green. How odd.
Owlyross no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #47
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

They want to have a mix of acts apparantly. I've not heard of Aswad in years!

Old November 29th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #48
duane

Likes (Received): 108

I am a bit disappointed with this line up. I don't think the tickets are going to sell that well.
duane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #49
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Likes (Received): 61

I could have sworn Billy Ocean died sometime in the 90s or 00s.

I guess he must have got better.

His ropes and chains drove women wild
Mark76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #50
Lears City
Look there, look there!

When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going

I wonder if his son, Keith Lemon, will come to the gig?
Old November 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #51
d4mo85
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!

Likes (Received): 59

Laughable really, isn't it?

I'll stick to Glasto, thanks.
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #52
Owlyross

It's like the 80s revival gigs at the racecourse. ABC plus Bananarama! Just for you!
Old December 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #53
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Planning application (no docs yet) for the flexibility of use of King Power Stadium:

Quote:
LEICESTER CITY FOOTBALL CLUB THE KING POWER STADIUM FILBERT WAY LEICESTER LE2 7FL
Description:VARIATION OF CONDITIONS 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 41, 44, 45, 46, 47 AND 48 OF PLANNING PERMISSION 20041996 (DATED 2 FEB 2005), TO ALLOW GREATER FLEXIBILITY IN THE USE OF THE STADIUM AND ITS ASSOCIATED FACILITIES. Application Type:Application for reserved matters approval
See: http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planni...AppNo=20132186

I wonder if this is a reaction to the Tigers ground being used for the Leicester Music Festival?

Old December 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #54
Refresh01

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicity82 View Post
Planning application (no docs yet) for the flexibility of use of King Power Stadium:

See: http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planni...AppNo=20132186

I wonder if this is a reaction to the Tigers ground being used for the Leicester Music Festival?

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/131...medium=twitter
Refresh01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #55
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Dunno, but at this rate we might get an arena?

LCFC should chuck one on the side of Filbert Way.
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #56
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

One of the sites has been suggested to be near to the King Power stadium.

A large capacity arena is still needed to host covered concerts/events

Old December 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #57
tiernanw

Likes (Received): 6

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Le...ail/story.html

This again
tiernanw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #58
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Union J (who?) announced to perform at the Leicester Music Festival:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Bo...ail/story.html

What a weird line-up.

Old December 17th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #59
Owlyross

It's ridiculous. I played with my band at the last 'proper' Leicester Music Festival at Abbey Park.
Old December 17th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #60
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Likes (Received): 61

Which band was that then?

His ropes and chains drove women wild
Mark76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: