search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 129 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #1
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 321

MILTON KEYNES | Projects and Construction

Although all three of these developments are ostensibly completed, I'm posting this so you can see some of the high rise development taking place in the new city. The Pinnacle is a 9 floor office development near the central station which is still only partially finished. The Hub:MK is a mixed use residential/commercial development including a 13 floor Jury's Inn hotel and a 14 floor block of flats. Finally Vizion, formerly known as One:MK, includes more apartments and a massive Sainsbury's superstore with a 14 floor tower on top of it.

All together these projects have given Milton Keynes a decent skyline which can be proudly observed from as far away as Leighton Buzzard, Northamptonshire and Bedfordshire. Below are some pictures I've taken on various walks. I've had to post the fotopic page links here because the image links wouldn't work on some browsers.

The now sizable Milton Keynes Central station.

http://tom-walker.fotopic.net/p61780655.html

The Hub:MK, seen from across Witan Gate.

http://tom-walker.fotopic.net/p61780652.html

The main tower of the Hub:MK.

http://tom-walker.fotopic.net/p61780653.html

Round the side of the Pinnacle. The tallest part is just out of shot on the northern face.

http://tom-walker.fotopic.net/p61780654.html

The main tower of Vizion, the 'breadboard' as its become known locally. Sainsbury's occupies the bottom floor and the underground car park.

http://tom-walker.fotopic.net/p61780656.html

The Milton Keynes skyline, seen from Great Holm, a suburb near my home. It's not quite the same picture that's on Wikipedia, but I did take them both.

P.S. East Midlands seemed the only category I could put Milton Keynes in, it's not in London and there's no East Anglia option. Hope it's OK. Also, please no anti-MK digs, I am a proud resident and it's a wonderful place to live.

Last edited by MK Tom; October 27th, 2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: URLs didn't work
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #2
duane

Likes (Received): 108

Looks like a heavily built up skyline. What you need is a big tower though. Would make it look really good. The developments do look to be of a high quality though.
duane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #3
reading general

Likes (Received): 59

always thoght mk was prime for tall buildings to go with its american layout. first went there in the early 90's for skateboarding and although amazing to skate was a little dissapointed that there wern't and scrapers. it once stood in for metropolis in superman 4.
reading general no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #4
MK Tom

It is a wonderful place, so easy to get around, so verdant, and so peaceful.

Here's another picture of the Hub, taken from Wikipedia (although it was me that uploaded it there!).

Old November 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Hazeley

Likes (Received): 1

It's hard to imagine a building that looks more drained of colour or character than the hub (especially as shown in the second picture).
Sorry I'm not anti MK - it has plenty going for it, but surely they could have gone for something a bit more inspiring/risk taking? The only risk being taken here is that nobody will even notice it.
Hazeley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:36 PM   #6
MK Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazeley View Post
It's hard to imagine a building that looks more drained of colour or character than the hub (especially as shown in the second picture).
Sorry I'm not anti MK - it has plenty going for it, but surely they could have gone for something a bit more inspiring/risk taking? The only risk being taken here is that nobody will even notice it.
It is a really dull building. Thankfully the Sainsbury building next to it helps counter that a bit. In my opinion the hub is too close to the road for CMK and they shouldn't have filled in the underpass to build it, but there you are. It does add to the skyline when seen from a distance.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM   #7
dinp

Likes (Received): 298

What is MK like for the pedestrian? As a motorist I know its easy to get around, but if I was walking from my home into town, how easy and safe would it be?

I agree with the other comments about that hub, it is a bit lifeless. The centre could also do with a tower or two to give some real prominence and a big city feel to the skyline.
dinp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM   #8
MK Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinp View Post
What is MK like for the pedestrian? As a motorist I know its easy to get around, but if I was walking from my home into town, how easy and safe would it be?

I agree with the other comments about that hub, it is a bit lifeless. The centre could also do with a tower or two to give some real prominence and a big city feel to the skyline.
It's an excellent place for walking, the complete segregation of pedestrian routes from the roads means you never have to cross a major road. If I walk from my home to the city centre it's a two mile walk with only one road crossing, a lake and more often than not, lots of nice people walking dogs! You never meet the traffic because the redways all go over or under the grid roads.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Tom View Post
It's an excellent place for walking, the complete segregation of pedestrian routes from the roads means you never have to cross a major road. If I walk from my home to the city centre it's a two mile walk with only one road crossing, a lake and more often than not, lots of nice people walking dogs! You never meet the traffic because the redways all go over or under the grid roads.
But surely thats a bad thing. In Telford a fellow large new town our pedestrian routes are the same. They all pass through green space and wooded areas with footbridges and underpasses. While in the daylight it makes for a plasant enough walk, after dark the poor lighting and being so far removed from other public areas can make them very uncomfortable at the best of times and downright scary at others. I'd much rather have footpaths along roads which are overlooked by buildings to provide some sense of not being alone.
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM   #10
dinp

Likes (Received): 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
But surely thats a bad thing. In Telford a fellow large new town our pedestrian routes are the same. They all pass through green space and wooded areas with footbridges and underpasses. While in the daylight it makes for a plasant enough walk, after dark the poor lighting and being so far removed from other public areas can make them very uncomfortable at the best of times and downright scary at others. I'd much rather have footpaths along roads which are overlooked by buildings to provide some sense of not being alone.
Corby (again a new town) seems to have struck a happy medium here - there are some nice woodland paths and ones which veer away from the roads, but people don't feel safe using them after dark unless the lighting is good. Most paths follow the roads and have crossings at regular intervals. The underpasses aren't popular and a couple have been filled in for this reason, with surface crossings taking their place.
dinp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM   #11
MK Tom

Quote:
That is often a problem in some towns, and it does pop up in a few parts of MK, but not in most. MK was designed with lessons learned from the likes of Redditch, Skelmersdale and Hemel Hempstead and our underpasses are designed so you can see straight through them before you get anywhere near them. None of them have those daft wibbly-wobbly ramps, neither do the bridges. It all creates for a pleasant walking environment. I walk my dog in the black of night through my nearest underpass every day, and feel perfectly safe doing it (except for the fear of meeting other dogs!).

Old November 1st, 2009, 11:13 PM   #12
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinp View Post
Corby (again a new town) seems to have struck a happy medium here - there are some nice woodland paths and ones which veer away from the roads, but people don't feel safe using them after dark unless the lighting is good. Most paths follow the roads and have crossings at regular intervals. The underpasses aren't popular and a couple have been filled in for this reason, with surface crossings taking their place.
We've been doing the same sort of thing recently. Replacing underpasses with surface crossings, removing roundabouts and replacing them with signalised junctions all in the name of pedestrian priority. The local road mafia has been going crazy but I think its worth it. But still we have problems that were ingrained back in the Basic Plan for Telford back in the late 60s. Telford was supposed to be have industrial, residential and commercial developments segregated from each other and strung off a ring road like beads. It will take an awful lot to rectify the situation and create a cohesive urban area with the links that come as standard in normal towns.

Quote:
That is often a problem in some towns, and it does pop up in a few parts of MK, but not in most. MK was designed with lessons learned from the likes of Redditch, Skelmersdale and Hemel Hempstead and our underpasses are designed so you can see straight through them before you get anywhere near them. None of them have those daft wibbly-wobbly ramps, neither do the bridges. It all creates for a pleasant walking environment. I walk my dog in the black of night through my nearest underpass every day, and feel perfectly safe doing it (except for the fear of meeting other dogs!).
I can't say I know MK all that well but I believe that people shouldn't be forced under or over ground for the benefit of the private car. But if it works for you who am I to complain?
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM   #13
MK Tom

Quote:
We've been doing the same sort of thing recently. Replacing underpasses with surface crossings, removing roundabouts and replacing them with signalised junctions all in the name of pedestrian priority. The local road mafia has been going crazy but I think its worth it. But still we have problems that were ingrained back in the Basic Plan for Telford back in the late 60s. Telford was supposed to be have industrial, residential and commercial developments segregated from each other and strung off a ring road like beads. It will take an awful lot to rectify the situation and create a cohesive urban area with the links that come as standard in normal towns.

I can't say I know MK all that well but I believe that people shouldn't be forced under or over ground for the benefit of the private car. But if it works for you who am I to complain?
Milton Keynes is laid out differently to that - the estates are all large communities in their own right with their own facilities and so on. The traffic within the estates is 30mph or less with at-grade crossings. The grade-seperated crossings are over/under the grid roads, which enables them to be 60mph, hence MK's total lack of congestion. Not just the private car benefiting there, but buses and commercials too, as well as a massively reduced pedestrian/car accident rate.

Old November 12th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #14
majabl
The Northamptonian

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Milton Keynes is laid out differently to that - the estates are all large communities in their own right with their own facilities and so on. The traffic within the estates is 30mph or less with at-grade crossings. The grade-seperated crossings are over/under the grid roads, which enables them to be 60mph, hence MK's total lack of congestion. Not just the private car benefiting there, but buses and commercials too, as well as a massively reduced pedestrian/car accident rate.
As someone who works in MK, I beg to differ that there is a total lack of congestion! Less than most towns and cities, granted, but even MK can't escape the rush-hour queues.
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #15
MK Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by majabl View Post
As someone who works in MK, I beg to differ that there is a total lack of congestion! Less than most towns and cities, granted, but even MK can't escape the rush-hour queues.
Well no true but it is a lot better.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:58 PM   #16
MK Tom

Here's an interesting picture: MK's biggest lake (of several), Willen Lake, with some of the taller city centre buildings visible on the left of the horizon (they are almost two miles away).

Also, you can't tell how huge it is from here, but the red building is the colossal Lovat Fields Retirement Home in Willen Park, seen from the hill in Campbell Park (MK's mile-long central park). It was recently the subject of a BBC documentary about its elderly residents, who hated how the show portrayed them and wrote in in swathes.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:05 AM   #17
PAC_MAN
Greatest theatre in LE1

Likes (Received): 0

Im sorry, but what's the point of this thread being here, its not in the East Midlands Region.

Milton Keynes wont get recognised as a city until it gets its own designated council and become a unitary body
PAC_MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:24 AM   #18
MK Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAC_MAN View Post

Im sorry, but what's the point of this thread being here, its not in the East Midlands Region.
What region is it in then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAC_MAN View Post

Milton Keynes wont get recognised as a city until it gets its own designated council and become a unitary body
Both have already happened.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM   #19
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

It's in the South East government region, no idea whether it is traditionally considered to be in the Midlands or the South though. Seemingly the Midlands if you're anything to go by!
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM   #20
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 210

I've always thought of MK as South Midlands and it definitely fringes the East Midlands region. I can't see why MK shouldn't be included in the East Midlands forum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Midlands
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
network rail

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: