search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland

Queensland » Gold Coast | Regional Queensland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:09 AM   #2561
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 2753

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCC View Post

All very wishful and not high on the priority list, but overcapitalising on a half-assed bus bridge now undermines the chance of this type of infrastructure in the futures
100%
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:02 AM   #2562
geeohgeegeeoh

Likes (Received): 85

I think its an n-part problem, n>2.

1) there is a huge lack of transport infrastructure overall. each category of pt, pedestrian, car, freight has a problem. Most big cities had investment aimed at a "plan" of some kind over the last 50-100 years, which Brisbane just doesn't have. It has smaller vision plans, and it has a lot of them, filling the waste paper baskets.

2) anything which tries to knock off all of 1) in one go with one bridge is doomed. doomed I tell ya, DOOMED.

3) spending on any one or two-part solution is doomed because nobody wants to get to a cross party solution, on the same plan, at the same time (this btw, is the same in Sydney and Melbourne, the bastardry over the western collector and the like, is pretty good evidence that any large investment is going to become a political football)

I also think Newman did ok. he totally sucked in the state level roll, and I cannot give him respect for his lack of understanding of the job once he got state premier, but in council, for all he acted a bit of a dickhead, he got stuff done. So I don't agree with his anti-buslane thing on Coro drive, but I think overall he did more good to brisbane transport problems than bad. Quirk on the other hand, is a flounder. a complete fish out of water. If he could swallow his pride, and stop calling bendy buses a metro, and get on with some inter governmental planning, we might actually get something in the CBD area. But I don't think he can man up and actually do that. So we're going to get scattergun investment in local transport, where he can spend it. and money to consultants for grandiose plans which won't happen.

Outside the CBD, I am pretty sure anything which looks like a pile of money is going to be pointed at problems other than the lack of cross river bandwidth between Indro and Milton. Thats not a corridor that it makes sense to invest in, unless you are either very confident you can finesse the voters concerns, or have a shitload of money or both.

UQ actually did us a favour putting the debate back on the table. Theyre also a pack of arrogant dickheads (I can say that because i worked there in the 80s for 7+ years) and they made sweeping assumptions about what people will want, but floating an idea which works for them (selfishly) and has at least some public transport benefits, is good in as much as we can talk about it again.

(btw, as a ressie off montague rd, I alternate between fear and hope. I don't want to have turned out to move into a house above a tunnel borer, and I don't want 3 lane highway hell, but I accept there is going to be some kind of shift in the dynamic in the west end pocket)

flipst3r liked this post
geeohgeegeeoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote