search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Western Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2017, 02:32 AM   #3261
Skyline Art

Likes (Received): 1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboy View Post
If Barney hadn't built that rich playground EQ, I'd be able to get a free colonoscopy. Rinse repeat.
For a tiny split moment there I thought you made a rude and disrespectful joke about Colin there...colon colin I had been reading way to fast. Anyway i get what you said but...

Are you suggesting you would rather the money from EQ have gone towards free health care services? I always thought that healthcare is important but one should not have to pay excessively for health services if they cannot afford it, but at the same time healthcare does not necessarily have to be free entirely. As if it were entirely free for all then you would get people wasting their money on material spending or anything else and not saving any money for health. I guess that is why health insurance is recommended so one day you can get your colonoscopy and not have to worry about paying exorbitant money for it upfront.
Disclaimer:Views expressed in my comments/ thread replies may be subject to light hearted humour or silly small talk. If I put a ;) in my post it means you should not take my post too seriously. Skyart
Quote:
Sometimes I don't know if you boys are being serious or not.
Skyline Art no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:35 AM   #3262
Gooram

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy83 View Post
Stadiums are great and all but they're one of hundreds of services governments provide or are expected to provide.
I'm surprised that you had to point that out, but yes, absolutely.
McGowan was initially against the stadium, lets see if he waltz's in and claims victory when it's done? Colin will love it!
Gooram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:15 AM   #3263
Scrawny

Likes (Received): 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline Art View Post
For a tiny split moment there I thought you made a rude and disrespectful joke about Colin there...colon colin
Haha. You mean after this election, WA has effectively had a Colin-oscopy.

See what I did there?

Scraperfan, vandermast, Timothy83, hayds liked this post
Scrawny está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:28 AM   #3264
PD
perthistan

Likes (Received): 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrawny View Post
I with you mate, but If we're being honest, spending money to build a new stadium isn't difficult. Any government can spend money. Keeping the budget in check is the real test.
Agreed. To be fair though - ALP hasn't really shown anything that would demonstrate they would've done things differently.
Their election platform seems to be based on a bigger pile of 'spend' than the libs (I may be wrong though, didn't add up the respective promise lists, I'm sure someone has though).

I am glad Barney got things like EQ, Link and the stadium done. Truth is we need reason to both keep ppl in the state and attract tourism to the state.
Even though everything would be cheaper to get done now, I don't think sitting on our hands would have been viable (practically or electorally).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:19 PM   #3265
Matt B

Likes (Received): 327

To be fair Labor were also going to build a kick ass stadium, which no doubt would have come with a snazzy west leedy train station upgrade. They were also going to build EQ, without naming it in such a poxy way. They were also the ones who committed to building the NB link. These were all projects that Colin only delivered because they were great projects that someone else started.

Noting that his entire election campaign at the time was based around stopping EQ.

desperaterobots, TRS-80, Urbicus liked this post
Matt B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 06:37 PM   #3266
PD
perthistan

Likes (Received): 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
To be fair Labor were also going to build a kick ass stadium, which no doubt would have come with a snazzy west leedy train station upgrade. They were also going to build EQ, without naming it in such a poxy way. They were also the ones who committed to building the NB link.
Yeah fair enough.
I voted against Col based solely on the fact I wanted the waterfront to proceed.
That said I far prefer Col's Quay to the Carpenter plan, I don't think ***** tower or anything remotely like it would've proceeded.
I'm also glad the subi stadium or rebuild option didn't go ahead.

Quote:
These were all projects that Colin only delivered because they were great projects that someone else started.
This is actually a positive for me rather than a negative. I do hope the ALP support and allow the stadium and surrounds to become all they can be instead of worrying if its future success be seen as a liberal victory. (I could be completely misguided in that fear but there you have it - my pessimistic view of pollies).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eastperthcat liked this post
PD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:39 AM   #3267
eastperthcat
East Perth Cat

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
To be fair Labor were also going to build a kick ass stadium, which no doubt would have come with a snazzy west leedy train station upgrade. They were also going to build EQ, without naming it in such a poxy way. They were also the ones who committed to building the NB link. These were all projects that Colin only delivered because they were great projects that someone else started.

Noting that his entire election campaign at the time was based around stopping EQ.
I agree the current stadium far surpasses that misguided idea to rebuild a dead stadium and even then it wasnt Langoulants original first choice of East Perth Power Station that Labour wanted to build. Col actually got it right when to build a bigger stadium rather than demolish an existing area of units and houses to make it bigger he chose a good site very nearby that only needed a bit of site prep and rehab. Elizabeth Quay will turn out to be a good footprint for a vibrant area in coming years . Yes labour tended to back the PERTH CITY COUNCILS idea for the NB link only to then SHELVE it.. it was Colin that forged ahead with it and enhanced it with the great Bus Station idea as well...History in context
eastperthcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:31 AM   #3268
Matt B

Likes (Received): 327

I honestly think that the Subi stadium would have been amazing. Preferred location is 100% related to your preferred planning ideology. I will very much enjoy the new stadium, I would have enjoyed the subi version, and in fact I still enjoy Subi Oval as it is today!

At election and after election though Colin said "NO NEW STADIUM because we need hospitals." He said "NO WATERFRONT because we need hospitals".

It is testimony to the strong independent public sector that he was able to be presented with rational arguments in favour of them to turn him around.
Matt B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:37 AM   #3269
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

Likes (Received): 1446

It was massively impressive that in the post-election meltdown coverage, Liberal MPs were insisting they did a 'great job' and used projects initiated by Labor as proof, and with their next breath accusing the electorate of having a 'short memory'. I mean, here, just take them, just take all of my lols.

eugenius, Citystyle liked this post
desperaterobots no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:48 PM   #3270
yatesy.21

Likes (Received): 126

I found this video on twitter of the lights being tested

hayds, buddha3211, Skyline Art liked this post
yatesy.21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:41 PM   #3271
hayds
resU deretsigeЯ

Likes (Received): 5685

Nice find.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:46 PM   #3272
hayds
resU deretsigeЯ

Likes (Received): 5685

buddha3211, Scraperfan, Skyline Art liked this post
hayds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:01 AM   #3273
eugenius

Location: Melbourne / Perth / Mackay / Coventry / Sheffield / Brussels / Birkenhead
Likes (Received): 386

Early start at work this morning. Driving over the Windan Bridge as the light testing was going on - looked awesome - did look like a UFO had landed in Burswood!

Skyline Art liked this post
eugenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:20 AM   #3274
buddha3211
Conform Or Be Cast Out

Likes (Received): 1608

newperthstadium A stunning start to the testing of the LED ribbon boards. Wait until the roof lit up!

Krust, Scraperfan, dallas, Skyline Art liked this post
buddha3211 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #3275
Scraperfan
Single, looking to mingle

Likes (Received): 2472

..and the strip lights in the facade.
Scraperfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #3276
Skyline Art

Likes (Received): 1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrawny View Post
Haha. You mean after this election, WA has effectively had a Colin-oscopy.

See what I did there?
no I didn't see what you did there until now.

Not sure if this drone video has been posted before..
It has some catchy beats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post
Early start at work this morning. Driving over the Windan Bridge as the light testing was going on - looked awesome - did look like a UFO had landed in Burswood!
Cool. I look forward in seeing the known object light show when it is ready to go.
Skyline Art no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #3277
davo

Likes (Received): 10

Noticed they are testing the screens today

ScraperJ, Huzzman, PD, mossimoh, Skyline Art liked this post
davo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #3278
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 87

The stadiums lit up like a Christmas tree tonight, changes colour quite rapidly, every few seconds.

Skyline Art liked this post
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adelaide, brisbane, perth, stadium