daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Pengangkutan

Pengangkutan aviation, automotive, rail and urban transportation

Old March 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
MLP

Likes (Received): 1

Penang-Butterworth Underwater Tunnel

What is the status of the Penang-Butterworth Underwater Tunnel after the MOU which was signed with a Chinese company on 28th April last year? It has been almost a year now.
MLP no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 25th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2
musang
abed

Likes (Received): 2

apparently they dug wrongly as it had resurfaced somewhere in China
musang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #3
daeng_jal

Likes (Received): 189

I guess it a hard thing to do..it cross a port..if they build it now.the port progress will be effected. If they want the port to grow.need to korek the sea to make it deeper..if it is too deep,tunnel would be more expensive..

There is also the fed.they manage privatization of road.EIA,foreign investment and relationship..png don't have enough $$$ to be a guarantor.it have to come from the fed

Well,thats my educated guess.the same could be said with ali crazy selat melaka bridge..china won't make any money,instead will lose money building all this foreign infra..they do it to for glory of their know-how.build relationship n influence.and that mean the fed.and they won't risk pissing them off.n png unlike selangor don't maintain a good relation with the fed.

And there will always voices that argue better to spent on urban transit than another car oriented project.NIMBYism which is strong in png will be in arms,for whatever thing they think they lost.

Other thing.is the p2x.u'll get into trouble if build another mega project when the current one aren't finished yet and aren't even fully utilities for lots more years.

Don't get me wrong.it would be build eventually.but not anytime soon.

hartal day and melaka maju 2010 day are my birthday, hope the gomen will make it a public holiday
daeng_jal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #4
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 200

Well its a good thing they are thinking about the future and not in the last minute where things can get messy... Take the KL MRT for example...

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #5
daeng_jal

Actually the tunnel had been in plan for years!!.. it supposed to link BORR png 1st bridge n PORR..

Maha(raja)thir himself approved the tunnel as the 2nd link on his way out of office b4 clever duo khoo n dolah brough it down south..

hartal day and melaka maju 2010 day are my birthday, hope the gomen will make it a public holiday
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Arkdriver
sa isip, sa salita

Location: penang, cyberjaya, muntinlupa,singapore, sunshine coast
Likes (Received): 67

I hope LGE and state government not talking cock only about this project. But the detailed time frame given make sense, provided all the plans and money fall into place. It's workable if the implementation is there like they always preach. it is still long time to go, now at feasibility study stage. it will take years for the first hoarding to put up but i hope they will come good. Just being optimistic
Arkdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM   #7
daeng_jal

No lah.i think hes trying to buy time and at the same time very good at rebranding of old shit to make it new gold..(and then claim it as his own.)

The tunnel need
1)PORR now rebrand and slightly realigned as PIRR.

2) reclaimation of gurney drive, which will actually fund the projects.and maybe on the mainland

Malaysian are not the brightes of folks..people are being soo +ve on the rebrand while some time ago are really against it.

Not expecting the tunnel anytime soon.it should be the last thing to be build..i guess we see 1st) reclaimation. 2) development 3) PORR(I mean PIRR) then finally the tunnel.

My guess. Bidding, signing,raising fund and reclaiming alone will take more than 2 General election time.

Old January 29th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #8
dinoleon

Likes (Received): 5

According to local news, LGE announced that 3 outer ring roads and tunnel project to be announced the bid winner during CNY period.
dinoleon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #9
FNNG

Likes (Received): 247

the tunnel should be equip with LRT/monorail/MRT or whatever... dont just car
FNNG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #10
TWK90
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 849

I like the idea of tunnel, however it should be dual use. My opinion, 2 lanes for general traffic, one lane for public transit each way.
TWK90 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #11
daniu79

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeng_jal View Post
No lah.i think hes trying to buy time and at the same time very good at rebranding of old shit to make it new gold..(and then claim it as his own.)

The tunnel need
1)PORR now rebrand and slightly realigned as PIRR.

2) reclaimation of gurney drive, which will actually fund the projects.and maybe on the mainland

Malaysian are not the brightes of folks..people are being soo +ve on the rebrand while some time ago are really against it.

Not expecting the tunnel anytime soon.it should be the last thing to be build..i guess we see 1st) reclaimation. 2) development 3) PORR(I mean PIRR) then finally the tunnel.

My guess. Bidding, signing,raising fund and reclaiming alone will take more than 2 General election time.
You're Malaysian?
daniu79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #12
daeng_jal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniu79 View Post

You're Malaysian?
Yah. Why?

Old February 28th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #13
patchay

Likes (Received): 966

c'mon any news here?

Any renderings and stuffs to show?

Wow.... this was super fast as well!!! When nearing Elections, everything suddenly gets moving at 400km/h.

Malaysia-China firm lands RM8 billion Penang-Butterworth Undersea Highway Tunnel, other road projects in Penang
Latest | The Star | By HAN KAR KAY | Updated: Thursday February 28, 2013 MYT 1:22:22 PM
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...&if_height=416
Quote:
GEORGE TOWN: The Penang state government has awarded the (open) tender to construct several major roads and a tunnel on the island to Malaysia-China joint venture Consortium Zenith BUCG Sdn Bhd.

The projects involved the 4.2km Gurney Drive-Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu expressway, 4.6km Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu-Bandar Baru Air Itam bypass (four-lanes), 6.5km Penang-Butterworth Tunnel and a 12km road connecting Tanjung Bungah and Teluk Bahang (four lanes).

Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the tender has been awarded but subject to the contract to be signed.

"The project is estimated to cost less than RM8bil," he told reporters here on Thursday.

MORE TO COME

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare

Last edited by patchay; February 28th, 2013 at 06:38 AM.
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #14
SgWay

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchay View Post
c'mon any news here?

Any renderings and stuffs to show?

Wow.... this was super fast as well!!! When nearing Elections, everything suddenly gets moving at 400km/h.

Malaysia-China firm lands RM8 billion Penang-Butterworth Undersea Highway Tunnel, other road projects in Penang
Latest | The Star | By HAN KAR KAY | Updated: Thursday February 28, 2013 MYT 1:22:22 PM
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...&if_height=416
RM8 billion for a underground tunnel for a state whose GDP is only 8 percent of the national GDP and Malaysiakini writes and vox populi called the RM8 billion HSR project robbing our underpants and evil.

Terenganu desire for HSR makes more sense.

Bet hey, iit gets approved, its another good way to get to the island for nasi kandar ,hopefully the nasi kandar operators are not priced off the island by then.
SgWay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #15
tomkat
Bushido

Likes (Received): 52

I thought the opposition condemning the PM for announcing the HSR initiative, a huge and costly project, towards the end of the current term.

But they are doing the same thing here??

So, I guess all politicians came from the same breed.

rizalhakim liked this post
tomkat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #16
zhaochuan
I dont response 2 rubbish

Likes (Received): 281

zhaochuan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #17
ScuderiaVincero
Ayrton Senna fanatic

Likes (Received): 199

Indeed tomkat, both sides look out for themselves. But then I see both initiatives as worthwhile. HSR can spur a lot of development around its destinations and the undersea tunnel can relieve the traffic on the Penang Bridge, while looking slightly more aesthetically pleasing
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #18
daeng_jal

8 billions can build a fine public transportation system than just more rooms for car. Which latter u have to subsidies both the oil as well as maintenance.

I guess a tunnel for PT should have cost at least half as much as a car tunnel.

Old February 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #19
ScuderiaVincero
Ayrton Senna fanatic

Likes (Received): 199

That got me thinking though, what influences the cost difference? Is it down to tunnel size?
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #20
daeng_jal

I suppose the size, the depth, the land beneath. Design and complexity

Must be careful no. They wanna build across a port (which itself is shallow) wrong move and business would move to the planned Thailand build Myanmar port.

Politicians can point fingers at each other but at the end they already /going to be stinking rich. So guess who going to pick up the pieces